Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm

I miss the days when I had the means to consult the Felaryan community on the fly, and just being able to shoot the shit with them. Ventrilo was my means of doing that, but over the past coupla' months, almost everyone who used to go there regularly has completely abandoned it. Some clung to the idea that "Oh, we're just going through a slow patch 'cause everyone's busy lately", but that's can't be all there is to it. Someone told me that AJ found some new chatroom and all my ol' pals just moved over there, but it's not a place to talk about Felarya related stuff.

Still, I know I'm being a whiner, but I feel like something great has been lost. I'm not trying to make it sound like you guys are obliged to wait on me, and I'm not pleading for you to come rushing back to Vent, I just MISS you guys. Silver Scales and Cats n' Dogs would never have turned out nearly as well as they did had AJ not pestered me to join Ventrilo, and bless him for doing that. I had such a great connection with those members of the community, and they helped breathe life into my stories by making me feel more closely tied to the world of Felarya itself, for immersing me in it just... just by being there. Now, there's hardly anyone to talk to, these last few days especially. I feel so detached from the setting and the community, nowadays.

>sigh< ...the good old days...

TLDR- I feel left out and frankly, it pisses me off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:52 pm

I left because I felt like vent was conflicting with how things were being run here on the forum. Other than that, I usually found it distracting along with all the other stuff I do anyway. Unfortunately, vent is where a lot of negative moments in felarya's history came from, and I have no desire to return as of this moment. That may change though.

I cannot speak for everyone else, but I do not intend to just leave you hanging, if you want to chat, I'm still open to adding people on messenger. Often I enjoy it when about 5 of us come together there, and I have a lot of people on messenger who are felaryans who just dont have the time to get involved anymore (see: Natsume, Tuc135, mangamastermind, daimoknight, Mickilla, ExpiredPopsicle).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Well, I haven't been able to get messenger to work for ages, so that's not an option... but thanks anyway.
Back to top Go down
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Well, if you want to, try the chatbox. There's usually someone there.

-Edward R. Harrison
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 pm

What, you mean the chatbox in ventrilo? No one's there. Do you mean a chatbox somewhere on this site?
Back to top Go down
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:53 pm

...yes. The chatbox on the forum. It's on the main page, Nick.

-Edward R. Harrison
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:10 am

Well, I tried using it... but it won't let me connect.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:19 am

The majority of the people in ventrillo were people who ended up leaving the Felarya community (AJ, Zion, JT, Tango, Mr.N and others). In order to leave it completely, they all moved to an invite-only mumble server where they hang out. Only people who can get a unanimous vote (people they all like) are allowed in. A few people, like Nekko, Kiki and... I think I saw Buddah, were just kind of left behind and never got let in the new clubhouse.

Of course I'm a couple months out of the loop at this point, so this info could be a little out of date.

Last edited by rcs619 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rcs619.deviantart.com/
Claire
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:23 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I left because I felt like vent was conflicting with how things were being run here on the forum. Other than that, I usually found it distracting along with all the other stuff I do anyway. Unfortunately, vent is where a lot of negative moments in felarya's history came from, and I have no desire to return as of this moment. That may change though. .

ok this is pretty insulting...I still find it unbeleviable that people complain about free things, thats like the lowest of the low. Its $100 a year to keep the vent running out of my own pocket for the Felarya community. It was very open to pretty much everyone and could be used for pretty much anything. In no way shape or form did it conflict with the forum.

You seriously have the nerve to blame the ventrilo for the negative things that happen in Felarya's history? Thats a very big accusation considering you activity on the vent is near to none. There were around 7 admins on the ventrilo moderating it at different times of the day, it was not some kind of conspirancy.. that is crazy. But again its a FREE service so people have to complain about it. *rolls eyes*

and to Nick, a lot of people that used the Ventrilo are not on there becuase they are no longer part of Felarya. I havent used it becuase im depressed about it and I might not stay that much longer either. I havent decided what to do wiht the Vent at this time if you have any suggestions I will gladly listen to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 am

Claire wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
I left because I felt like vent was conflicting with how things were being run here on the forum. Other than that, I usually found it distracting along with all the other stuff I do anyway. Unfortunately, vent is where a lot of negative moments in felarya's history came from, and I have no desire to return as of this moment. That may change though. .

ok this is pretty insulting...I still find it unbeleviable that people complain about free things, thats like the lowest of the low. Its $100 a year to keep the vent running out of my own pocket for the Felarya community. It was very open to pretty much everyone and could be used for pretty much anything. In no way shape or form did it conflict with the forum.

You seriously have the nerve to blame the ventrilo for the negative things that happen in Felarya's history? Thats a very big accusation considering you activity on the vent is near to none. There were around 7 admins on the ventrilo moderating it at different times of the day, it was not some kind of conspirancy.. that is crazy. But again its a FREE service so people have to complain about it. *rolls eyes*

Yeah, Chuck pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Can't really do much besides echo the sentiment. The vent, in my opinion, was nearly always a force for good. I had several years of fun on there and met people I've known for years now. You tell 'em Chuck.

Quote :
and to Nick, a lot of people that used the Ventrilo are not on there becuase they are no longer part of Felarya. I havent used it becuase im depressed about it and I might not stay that much longer either. I havent decided what to do wiht the Vent at this time if you have any suggestions I will gladly listen to them.

Ended up uninstalling it myself, sadly. No offense to Nekko, and Kiki and the rest... but I just wasn't that close to them, and with the old gang gone, there wasn't much reason for me to stay. At least I can still keep up with AJ and Zion on MSN. They're probably the two I was closest to on the vent. Still a shame to see it become what it has. Fun while it lasted though : )
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:35 am

Well, FUCK!!!

I sent AJ a note through DA a few days ago, but he hasn't replied. I guess I didn't make it in. I mean, he, Tango and Mr. N seem to be cool with me, but I've heard that JT dislikes me nowadays (for whatever reason, I don't know) and I don't know how Zion feels... Well, whatever.

Really, the Felarya community feels a little more empty now without those guys.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:37 am

Quote :
Really, the Felarya community feels a little more empty now without those guys.

Pretty much this.
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:40 am

Well now I see a new problem. If these guys are all just leaving the community, and no one is rising up to take their place, to fill in their shoes... What, does this foreshadow the impending dying off of the entire community?????
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:46 am

I don't think so. In the end, it was only really... 6, or so people? Zion, JT and a couple others had already (quite vocally) ceased participation in the community beforehand.

However, I think it does amount to a drop off in the creation of new, quality ideas, like the ones AJ and JT regularly put out, and an overall loss of interesting community discussion. I really don't believe it is going to kill the community, (the forum could shut down and the community could, in theory, continue on life-support solely on DA, i think) but I do believe it was a fairly decent blow, especially for the forum side of the community. Not only due to the loss of consistently good idea-makers and writers... but also symbolically too, as a great many were older, veteran community members.
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:00 am

I just... Given how attached I am to this setting, I don't understand... I can't comprehend HOW they could compel themselves to ditch this whole show. I wbn't "It's 'cause they had lives" for an answer. That's just asinine. This really.... bites out a big chunk of my motivation and energy, now. The magic of the heyday of Silver Scales is gone.... This is a radically different place, now.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:03 am

Nickonaquamagna wrote:
I just... Given how attached I am to this setting, I don't understand... I can't comprehend HOW they could compel themselves to ditch this whole show. I wbn't "It's 'cause they had lives" for an answer. That's just asinine. This really.... bites out a big chunk of my motivation and energy, now. The magic of the heyday of Silver Scales is gone.... This is a radically different place, now.

Honestly, it's a long, complicated series of events. Multiple instances of drama that kind of fed on themselves and got worse over several years. Lots of little internal grudges and feelings of dissatisfaction, frustration and hurting.

Not really worth digging up in another thread. Don't mean to seem dismissive or anything, but it's been done before in other threads and it never goes in a positive direction.
Back to top Go down
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 am

Well, if everyone's made their points, I trust that'll be all.

You should have no difficulty finding everything else, Nick.

-Edward R. Harrison
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:14 am

....sigh...
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:06 am

I'll just end it on this note. I'm not gonna lie. I'm scared.
Back to top Go down
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 am

Nickonaquamagna wrote:
I'll just end it on this note. I'm not gonna lie. I'm scared.

Don't be scared Nick, at least you got to know all those great people, I didn't even have a chance Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McKindle
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:00 am

Besides, there is new blood working its way in to help fill the gaps left by these members! Nobody hits the ground running when joining a community and instantly interacts, supports and adds to a setting in the manner in which these previous Felaryan stalwarts did. It takes time for them to get adjusted to the world, and experience for them to discern what are good and bad ideas for the setting. You just have to be patient. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:08 am

McKindle wrote:
Besides, there is new blood working its way in to help fill the gaps left by these members! Nobody hits the ground running when joining a community and instantly interacts, supports and adds to a setting in the manner in which these previous Felaryan stalwarts did. It takes time for them to get adjusted to the world, and experience for them to discern what are good and bad ideas for the setting. You just have to be patient. Smile

I wish I share you optimism Simon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am

I'm still here if you need a shoulder to lean on.

Granted, I disappear at random more than a fairy with a sneezing fit. But I've made it a goal to try and get on the ventrilo more.

And also, if you haven't forgotten, we also have a chatzilla which is run regularly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pendragon9.deviantart.com/
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:28 am

I'm not very active on the forum (and the Ven for that matter, I really used to stay around to see what was going on for some time , and from my experience, yeah, the Ven had it's good parts, and bad parts regarding the development of conflicts and drama in the community,sadly, nothing is perfect), but I'm still a "somewhat" active member (from the SHADOWS, buuu).
I share most of your thoughts, and find it a bit discouraging to see people leave like that, but well, sometimes stuff just happen; who knows, maybe it's the only way the community will end up moving on, some people leave, new people come, and eventually the traces of the past conflicts will start to erase.
For those who are still willing to stay, participate, and have fun in this community, just don't give up!
For my part, I still find Felarya one of the most inspirings sentings for drawing and character creation, and it would be sad for it to end just because some people found that it wasn't interesting to stay anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/ Online
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 am

Well, to be honest, I came here a little while ago and I didn't get to meet most of the "old" members that have left, sadly. So I kinda don't have many feelings about "what was lost" when they left, except AJ, who I met and had some interesting conversations with. Still, as people said, that is the way how things go on, and I'm really looking forward to be an active part of the community soon. The "new generation" if you may.

From the quality posts, I'm possitive Nergal and Zephyr are going the right way too, we just need a bit more time, as Kindle says. I'm learning a lot, specially from Cliff's, Bael's and Shady's posts, who seem to be the most active when a serious discussion appears in the forum, and Stabs and EG usually are up to a good, information-filled talk in the chatbox. I am really thankful for all this, because thanks to it, I'm coming to learn much about Felarya. I still have an issue pending, and that is to start reading those quality stories that are sure to teach me more about Felarya's day-to-day and things to take into accound when writing good stuff.

As for the Ventrilo, I have to say I don't like it very much. You see, I'm a pretty introverted person, and the means I have to avoid that are letters. When I write instead of talk, I have time to think about what I'm saying, and even go back and redo something I didn't want to sound like that. That's why... even if I use Ventrilo, I almost never talk. I even used the excuse that my mic was broken in order not to talk, but that was long time ago. Besides, English is not my first tongue, so even if I have refined writing a bit, the speaking and listening skills I had have faded due to disuse.

Still, I don't want Claire to be paying $100 a year for something that's not used, so... even if I don't participate much and just listen... could you tell me the chatroom/server/whatever's name?

Last edited by Ilceren on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????   Today at 2:57 pm

Back to top Go down

Ventrilo empty... WHERE DID EVERYONE GO?????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next