Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Psycholian
Tasty morsel


Posts : 1
Join date : 2015-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:04 am

So I've tried doing what research I could, but unless I've been searching in all the wrong places (and if so my apologies in advance) I haven't been able to find any answer to my question. Simply, what is the age of sexual maturity/adulthood for Giant Nagas? Or really any other giant-sized creature, or any tiny-sized creature as well. What about gestation period?

I haven't been able to find nearly any definitive answer on these things, which rather surprises me. It's understandable that human-sized creatures would probably have time-periods similar to humans, but for tiny and giant-sized creatures those times could change immensely, and be rather noteworthy if so.They feel somewhat important, though, in retrospect I can understand why they might not make an appearance as one might think. Measuring long periods of time probably gets cumbersome for native felaryans who don't have any needs which would make a such a scale relevant for them. I could see them instead opting for "a long time". Nevertheless, if something has been agreed upon at some point, I would be curious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://psycholian.deviantart.com/
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 239
Join date : 2015-03-02
Age : 16
Location : In the Internet

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:00 pm

The creatures in Felarya might use their biological clocks and vegetation to measure time. As for the visitors, they could always use their home's clocks. But the natives are a different case.

Day and Night in Felarya isn't very definitive, so they might rely on Felarya itself or physics to measure long amounts of time. For example, you could create a time measuring system using rocks and natural anomalies. Clocks in Felarya must be set on a kind of time that is really needed to measure, daytime, for example. Daytime in Felarya is very dangerous. It is the time when most of the predators are awake. By using the information they gathered, they could measure the annual coming of a predator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lockheedx17.deviantart.com/
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 239
Join date : 2015-03-02
Age : 16
Location : In the Internet

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Psycholian wrote:
So I've tried doing what research I could, but unless I've been searching in all the wrong places (and if so my apologies in advance) I haven't been able to find any answer to my question. Simply, what is the age of sexual maturity/adulthood for Giant Nagas? Or really any other giant-sized creature, or any tiny-sized creature as well. What about gestation period?

I haven't been able to find nearly any definitive answer on these things, which rather surprises me. It's understandable that human-sized creatures would probably have time-periods similar to humans, but for tiny and giant-sized creatures those times could change immensely, and be rather noteworthy if so.They feel somewhat important, though, in retrospect I can understand why they might not make an appearance as one might think. Measuring long periods of time probably gets cumbersome for native felaryans who don't have any needs which would make a such a scale relevant for them. I could see them instead opting for "a long time". Nevertheless, if something has been agreed upon at some point, I would be curious.

About nagas/predators, they wouldn't naturally age as fast. They might blossom at they teenage years, since aging is a process called oxidation. Oxygen is a compound that is very reactive and it always form compounds. The magic in Felarya, however, could counteract that since it heals. Since it heals, your body wouldn't age, but it could just blossom in puberty.

Felarya could cure cancer...and progeria...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lockheedx17.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
avatar

Posts : 3845
Join date : 2007-12-09
Age : 24
Location : Canada. ^.^ Goooooo Snow!

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Do mermaids sweat? Thinking about the human half, it's easy to assume that if they're out of water, they might have sweat glands built in to help keep themselves moisturized should they find themselves in situations where water is not easily accessible, but on the other hand, that situation would have to be pretty common in order to facilitate an entire biological function to it, and given that they spend most of their time in the water, sweat glands would be pretty redundant about 99.99999% of the time. I don't know, what does anyone else think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior


Posts : 501
Join date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:26 am

Nyaha wrote:
Do mermaids sweat? Thinking about the human half, it's easy to assume that if they're out of water, they might have sweat glands built in to help keep themselves moisturized should they find themselves in situations where water is not easily accessible, but on the other hand, that situation would have to be pretty common in order to facilitate an entire biological function to it, and given that they spend most of their time in the water, sweat glands would be pretty redundant about 99.99999% of the time. I don't know, what does anyone else think?

Well, I would personally go with no. But we also know of my opinions on other anatomical parts that see little to no viable use so...

Not all mammals have sweat glands - including those found in the sea. Being reliant on their surroundings for temperature control like sea mammals are gives mermaids ( and perhaps other sea-hybrid creatures like chlaena ) a more dangerous foil to keep them from spending too much time on land / out of the water ( has anyone had a mermaid that couldn't breathe out of water, or had difficulty breathing unless it was moving? ).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1175
Join date : 2012-06-05
Age : 26
Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm with Ather on that one. Mermaids don't sweat because the water is what helps to regulate their temperature, and water generally has a pretty stable temperature. They wouldn't have any need of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1416
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 29
Location : Fantasy Land ^_^

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:31 am

Darth_Nergal wrote:
I'm with Ather on that one. Mermaids don't sweat because the water is what helps to regulate their temperature, and water generally has a pretty stable temperature. They wouldn't have any need of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but sweat also removes poisons, no? And some species sweat poison or protective liquids? Perhaps Mermaids should have some of those but not the same ability to use it to cool off? Or it could be how they stay lubricated on land?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1822
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 am

Fish can dump chemicals into the air water through their gills too; I assume instead of sweating, they breathe. They also, I think, secrete something on their skin, in some species. But that's probably a case-by-case basis.

Still, don't go nuts on the case by casis base. If we can pick any animal and suddenly there's one that has its powers, then we're not dealing with separate species of mermaid, we're dealing with Cybertronian protoforms mimicking genetic material in order to protect themselves from the energon radiations of early Earth.

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior


Posts : 501
Join date : 2010-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:22 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
Darth_Nergal wrote:
I'm with Ather on that one. Mermaids don't sweat because the water is what helps to regulate their temperature, and water generally has a pretty stable temperature. They wouldn't have any need of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but sweat also removes poisons, no? And some species sweat poison or protective liquids? Perhaps Mermaids should have some of those but not the same ability to use it to cool off? Or it could be how they stay lubricated on land?

[Maurice LaMarche]You're wrong.[/Maurice LaMarche] Sweating does not remove "poisons". First off; pet peeve - poisons, toxins, and venoms are different things. Like species and races. Secondly, sweating is largely a thermodynamic response to internal temperature control caused by metabolic processes. It has a minor role as a reaction to stressors on the host organism ( such as fear and panic; but this is arguably caused by the human body metabolic processes increase in preparation of fight/flight ). Sea creatures in general do not have to worry about temperature control. As noted previously, other mammals also lack sweat glands - pigs and rhinoceros, for example. They cool off using the environment though, same as the sea mammals ( usually mud ). Hippos have a more.... unique version.

Sweating can actually increase the body's desire to hold toxins, as the kidneys, intestines, and liver ( the things that bulk process such stuff ) attempt to save water and thereby result in storing higher concentrations of toxins. The idea of 'sweating toxins' out of the body to 'alleviate stress on your kidneys and liver' is CAM bullshit that likes to resurge from time to time. Like multivitamins and those energy crystals ( and we're all guilty of falling for it even by proxy - I grew up on Flintstone's multivitamins but it is alas, still BS - LWT and BS! both did shows on multivitamins because they, in particular, are so prolific ).

Human sweat in particular is made up of salt, proteins, carbohydrates and urea - and the latter is most often the item capitalised upon in those BS explanations. This is the toxin ( note, NOT poison ) they're almost always referring to ( though some of the do like to laud heavy metals and arsenic as well ); it is possible to sweat out other these other toxins ( <1% ) but that's not a function of sweat but rather the fact that human skin is the largest organ of the body. Urea is a nitrogenous waste byproduct made in the metabolic processes from ammonia ( which is much more harmful ) and can be toxic in sufficient quantities.

Sweating is caused predominantly by two forms of exocrine glands, and that idea is what you're thinking of with the fish and frogs and such. While sweat glands are exocrine glands, not all the glands secreting stuff onto your skin are any type of sweat glands. Certain animals may have repurposed exocrine glands that secrete toxins as a means of protection, but they do not 'sweat'. Good / most well-known example is probably poison dart frogs. The frogs aren't sweating, they're secreting poison through skin glands. The poisons secreted are not used for cooling. Where the poison in those frogs actually comes from is a whole 'nother debate altogether.

Other common examples of exocrine glands besides sweating are saliva, mammary, sebaceous, and mucous. In case sebaceous is not familiar it's the one that is responsible for skin oils ( and aggravates acne conditions ) and areolar lubrication in lactating breasts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XionGaTaosenai
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer


Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:40 am

Alright so I've been thinking about mantoids, and specifically how the general behavior of male vs. female mantoids might differ from that of other races as a product of the fact that the women eat the men when mating.

Our notions of Masculinity and Femininity are based on patterns that evolved due to one simple impetus: men can breed with women more often than women can breed with men. In ideal circumstances, one man can impregnate dozens of women in a very short amount of time, while a woman can only get pregnant once and then has to wait at least 9 months (but closer to 2-3 years if she doesn't want to hurt herself) before she can breed again. Because of this, the opportunity cost for breeding is enormously higher for women than for men, giving women a far greater incentive to be choosy when selecting mates. Conversely, a woman doesn't have to be bothered if the man of her choosing mates with another woman (unless fidelity and willingness to invest in children is a criteria for selection, which is the case in humans), because that man can easily mate with both, while for a man the woman of their choice getting pregnant from another man locks them out of that opportunity. This means that competition for mates is much fiercer for men. So evolution guides women to being more cautious in making choices (as well as more concerned with long-term planning as they will be biologically chained to any offspring they have for years) while guiding men to be more competitive (and regrettably, more concerned with domination and controlling others). This even bleeds into physical differences, with women being tougher and better at surviving disease and trauma (all the better for staying around long enough to raise children) and men being bigger and stronger (all the better for competing with other men).

In mantoids, this dichotomy is almost flipped on its head. Women still have to make a huge investment in mating, but a male mantiod can only mate once, ever, pushing the opportunity cost of mating to the extreme. And if the gender ratio of mantoid babies is even (it doesn't have to be, but we'll assume it is for the time being), that means that unless each mantoid woman only mates once in her entire long life, there are going to be lots of mantoid ladies who never get the chance to breed simply because all of the available men get snapped up by bigger, stronger girls. So men become the cautious, choosy gender while women become the competitive gender. It's not a complete reversal, though; after all this it's still the women who have to actually raise the children, so the survivability and long-term thinking still swings in their favor.

Any sexual dimorphism that develops from this setup will favor the women in the extreme, making them bigger & stronger but also more resilient, competitive and controlling but also long-term thinkers. After all, they have to both compete with other women for limited mates and survive to raise the children that result. Men, on the other hand, would be cautious in the extreme and very careful with their decisions, because when it comes to the all-important mating decision they only have one shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1416
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 29
Location : Fantasy Land ^_^

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:30 pm

XionGaTaosenai wrote:
Alright so I've been thinking about mantoids, and specifically how the general behavior of male vs. female mantoids might differ from that of other races as a product of the fact that the women eat the men when mating.

Our notions of Masculinity and Femininity are based on patterns that evolved due to one simple impetus: men can breed with women more often than women can breed with men. In ideal circumstances, one man can impregnate dozens of women in a very short amount of time, while a woman can only get pregnant once and then has to wait at least 9 months (but closer to 2-3 years if she doesn't want to hurt herself) before she can breed again. Because of this, the opportunity cost for breeding is enormously higher for women than for men, giving women a far greater incentive to be choosy when selecting mates. Conversely, a woman doesn't have to be bothered if the man of her choosing mates with another woman (unless fidelity and willingness to invest in children is a criteria for selection, which is the case in humans), because that man can easily mate with both, while for a man the woman of their choice getting pregnant from another man locks them out of that opportunity. This means that competition for mates is much fiercer for men. So evolution guides women to being more cautious in making choices (as well as more concerned with long-term planning as they will be biologically chained to any offspring they have for years) while guiding men to be more competitive (and regrettably, more concerned with domination and controlling others). This even bleeds into physical differences, with women being tougher and better at surviving disease and trauma (all the better for staying around long enough to raise children) and men being bigger and stronger (all the better for competing with other men).

In mantoids, this dichotomy is almost flipped on its head. Women still have to make a huge investment in mating, but a male mantiod can only mate once, ever, pushing the opportunity cost of mating to the extreme. And if the gender ratio of mantoid babies is even (it doesn't have to be, but we'll assume it is for the time being), that means that unless each mantoid woman only mates once in her entire long life, there are going to be lots of mantoid ladies who never get the chance to breed simply because all of the available men get snapped up by bigger, stronger girls. So men become the cautious, choosy gender while women become the competitive gender. It's not a complete reversal, though; after all this it's still the women who have to actually raise the children, so the survivability and long-term thinking still swings in their favor.

Any sexual dimorphism that develops from this setup will favor the women in the extreme, making them bigger & stronger but also more resilient, competitive and controlling but also long-term thinkers. After all, they have to both compete with other women for limited mates and survive to raise the children that result. Men, on the other hand, would be cautious in the extreme and very careful with their decisions, because when it comes to the all-important mating decision they only have one shot.


Not a bad theory but one thing you're forgetting as Nickinamerica showed us with Mantoid Tournament was that BOTH SEXES are tough, vicious fighters when confronted. There's also the fact you are assuming the male mantoid is always eaten after mating. I fi had misfortune of being born a male mantoid I'd make a pouch and keep "aphrodisiacs" in it. The name of these aphrodisacs would be Sorbailer: http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Plant_life She gets a face full of Sorbailer Powder and falls asleep and I fly the heck away living to mate another day...unless I'm human sized then I probably get caught by a dridder and end up Mantoid Wrap. But either way you can now see there are ways out of the "Mantis Bride" situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
XionGaTaosenai
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer


Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-09-11

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:43 pm

There are ways out, but only if you actually want out. The wiki article says that male mantoids are actually fairly willing to go through with being eaten for cultural reasons. The wiki also states that the practice is only common in the mantoid homeland and mantoids in other parts of Felarya don't partake in the "Mantis Bride" scenario as often, but we're talking about the culture the mantoids evolved* in, so recent deviations by emigrant populations is irrelevant.

And I'm not saying that male mantoids aren't competitive, I'm just saying that female mantoids are even more competitive, if we extrapolate their evolution from their culture. Or at the very least, they're better at competing due to greater evolutionary pressure.

*Yes, I'm aware that talking about evolution and evolutionary pressure in a magical setting is a questionable move.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
avatar

Posts : 3223
Join date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:19 pm

XionGaTaosenai wrote:

*Yes, I'm aware that talking about evolution and evolutionary pressure in a magical setting is a questionable move.

Hey, that's half the fun of it. For example, I just found out that female spiders find mates by determining how hairy their legs are, so those implications for dridders were, to say the least, hilarious and interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
avatar

Posts : 239
Join date : 2015-03-02
Age : 16
Location : In the Internet

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:56 am

Based on all your statements, how long and powerful must their legs be to support their weight. I've seen ants small yet powerful, but their power is within their minuscule size and their exoskeleton. Because a dridder have a partial exoskeleton, how would they protect their valuable organs, such as their eyes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://lockheedx17.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   

Back to top Go down
 
The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
 Similar topics
-
» Wayne Rooney [Looks like Mr Potatohead -is a total tosspot)] Thread
» Ryan Giggs (is a twat) thread.
» The Berlin Forest Boy 'Ray' (Speculative Thread!)
» Any way to move multiple topics?
» Latest/most active topics, top posters on the top of the index

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: