Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics

Go down 
+30
Ilceren
ravaging vixen
French snack
Malahite
Alec and 1337
Amaroq
/Fish/
Nyaha
Darth_Nergal
McKindle
Oldman40k2003
FalconJudge
Archmage_Bael
Emerald Electronic
EvilGenius
Karbo
gwadahunter2222
Claire
Stabs
Feadraug
Vaderaz
DarkOne
Venom Agato
Grave
Pendragon
parameciumkid
rcs619
jedi-explorer
Shady Knight
Zephyr102
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 6:56 pm

So then, would it be possible for Xarmaroch to die if some aspect of his curse were invalidated? If the room he guards were to be completely destroyed, would the curse be broken because he could no longer guard the location?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 7:10 pm

Zephyr102 wrote:
So then, would it be possible for Xarmaroch to die if some aspect of his curse were invalidated? If the room he guards were to be completely destroyed, would the curse be broken because he could no longer guard the location?
It depend on the nature of the curse. We can suppose death doesn't free you from it. We need to know the exact nature of the curse if it is bonded to the location does it mean the room or the place itself. curse are literal and not something intelligent, more details are needed.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 18, 2012 8:25 pm

As far as Kallisiti goes... I think it's more a question of age than anything. She was added to the wiki ages ago, back when Felarya was a different place with different rules. Since then, I haven't even seen Arconius do anything with her, and her bio has remained unchanged as new information, rules and clarifications were added around her. I think she's a relic, more than anything, and trying to make sense of a character that old and out of date with the canon just isn't going to give any kind of satisfactory conclusion.

Quote :
I will be simple Kallisti is not really a part of Felarya but a kind of crossover betwenn Karbo's Felarya and Arconius' dominion. The character is not really bounded to the development of Felarya. She was added before the definition of angels and demons and it's up to its creator to retcon it or not. But this character doesn't belong to Felarya and youi should discuss with its owner about that.

Actually, Gwada sums it up pretty well right there.

Quote :
And as for Kallisti... wow. I'm pretty damn sure from her profile that she actually does fulfill many of the criteria for a Mary Sue, but this is not the place to talk about that, I don't think.

Basically. Felarya has had ongoing issues with 'Sues over the years. Sometimes Karbo winds up liking them though, and they get in. I think Malika (or most of Turboman's characters) fall into that group as well. They really only exist to look sexy and engage in "epic" Dragonball Z-esque battles. Most even have multiple transformations that get progressively more powerful.

Quote :
Kaldor Draigo from Warhammer 40,000, created by a man well known for his severe lack of writing talent and disregard for established canon.

D: *shudders as the hack who shall not be named is referenced*
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 2:40 am

Well to be honest, Kallisti , Aimi and the others were added to Felarya really long ago and yeah there are various aspects of them that doesn't totally fit in the universe today. I will have a discussion with Arconius about that.

Also feel free to point things you think are inconsistencies but do it in a civil manner. If you are going to throw in angry accusations it will not goes well Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 3:34 am

Claire wrote:
I see so you guys have no intention on balancing the world of Felarya and instead want overpowered succubi. I guess this universe should be called "Felarya- Succubi do what they want" Well I am done wasting me time then if that's the case I thought I was talking to people who wanted a better universe.

Some of us try to nerf by hand our characters. I have a succubus and she has been limited in a way that the only form she has to 'escape' from Hell is through dreams, because she was banished centuries ago from any mortal realm. Any. Mortal. Realm. That's one big deal, really.

Some won't have any limits, but they know how to play their character in RPs, stories... so they aren't overpowered.

But I don't know if this is actually part of this overthinking or not, but seems more belonging to an angel/succubus thread about how we can avoid them being OP. We already had some discussion about fairies long ago in the same terms. But maybe this is not the right thread for so.

Anyway, about Sues in Felarya... they are, and as it looks like from what I'm seeing in these posts, some aren't even fitting the setting anymore. It's up to the original creator of these characters to make them fit or just say "forget about them, like they never existed".

But I repeat, maybe these aren't the right things to discuss in this specific thread.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2012 6:36 pm

IMO one of the great things about Felarya is that it's big and dangerous enough for several Mary Sues to exist without totally screwing things up.
Example:
So your character is a ninja wizard who can resurrect the dead while turning invisible to execute the long-lost martial art of Sue-Jitsu, which has been passed down for generations in her species, of whom she is the last? Well you're as good as extinct because none of that makes any difference to Crisis's stomach lining. Unless you play it safe and stay in Negav where you won't be doing much with those powers anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 5:30 am

Para... you don't know what a Sue really is. It's the author's pet. Felarya is NOT safe, because the author will come up with some bullshit excuse or contrivance to keep that character alive and on top, even do stuff that's simply impossible.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 am

Well obviously there's a limit... like that one guy who made the characters that killed off half the existing canon characters in the explosion they made when they landed on Felarya. And of course the worst offenders of Mary-Sue-ing will never let their characters die or be beaten or humiliated in any way - but in Felarya, coming up with a viable way to do that is so hard that BS excuses are really obvious and with any luck will shame their writer enough to rethink their perspective.
With any luck...

P.S. LEVEL UP! Parameciumkid is now a "marauder of the deep jungle"!
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 2:38 pm

While I am merely the person who started this thread, I don't think it is the place to be having a discussion about who is and is not a Mary Sue, and as such, I will make a few suggestions for new topics to overthink.

1. It has already been established that most giant preds only get to feed on humanoids occasionally, and otherwise consume fruits and veggies and maybe non-sapient animals. Do you think that in the interest of not having to forage for everything, some giant preds may cultivate food?

2. On the subject of food that doesn't move on its own, do you think that preds native to Felarya prefer to swallow ALL food whole, or just the wriggling variety? Unless fruits and veggies native to Felarya are just as flavorful on the outside as the inside, it seems they would be missing out on a lot of the experience, unless stretching ones' throat is particularly pleasing.

3. How do most jungle-dwelling denizens sleep? Does Crisis typically wake up with a headache or crick in her neck every morning due to sleeping on rocks or against trees, or do they manage to find relatively soft places to sleep? (The image of Crisis leaping onto an appropriately-sized and oddly placed bed with a look of joy on her face is cute and silly to me. Bonus points for her weight sending Léa flying.)
Back to top Go down
EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 pm

1.While i think they may cultivate small crops of a specific plant, i don't think they would do enough of it to constitute a large part of their diet.

2.I think they swallow live food whole, and perhaps smaller fruits, but to a lesser extent, like one would gulp down grapes. not the entire bunch, just one here or there. Naga's might be a bit different from other species simply due to their ability to swallow larger prey whole, still i think they would chew most fruits, if nothing else, for better digestive efficiency. (That could be a topic to be brought up later. the efficiency of digesting a whole humanoid, live humanoid vs chewed human pulp. I'm going to go for the latter being more efficient.)

3.I think this is mostly personal preference and availability, as well as safety. Prey species would seek out nooks and crannies, perhaps lined with leaves to serve as a cushion, while predators can lie down on the leaf litter with out too much to worry about. Naga's are capable of curling up, But other tauric species may have some difficulties, due to the angle of their torso to their abdomen. Unless the waist joint was extremely flexible in leaning forward, or back, they may need the support of a vertical surface for a comfortable sleep.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 4:55 pm

EvilGenius wrote:
Naga's might be a bit different from other species simply due to their ability to swallow larger prey whole, still i think they would chew most fruits, if nothing else, for better digestive efficiency. (That could be a topic to be brought up later. the efficiency of digesting a whole humanoid, live humanoid vs chewed human pulp. I'm going to go for the latter being more efficient.)
Digestive efficiency seems to mean little in Felarya, as most pred stomachs can digest literally anything, even including a human in the most advanced armor system imaginable. Whether or not chewing food would help the process along at all then is debatable, but I bet it would be slightly more efficient, though probably not so much as to warrant any real need to change things up. I could possibly see a pred chewing live prey in the event that the predator thinks leaving it alive and whole would allow it to cause internal damage or even escape. Preds with magic-proof or particularly resilient stomachs would probably never consider a creature capable of being swallowed a possible threat once caught.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Quote :
1. It has already been established that most giant preds only get to feed on humanoids occasionally, and otherwise consume fruits and veggies and maybe non-sapient animals. Do you think that in the interest of not having to forage for everything, some giant preds may cultivate food?

I think that some preds creating their own little gardens is possible. They would need to learn about seeds and planting and growing from somewhere though, be it a parent or other pred. It wouldn't necessarily be able to feed them every meal, but it could be a good way to supplement their diet with healthy fruits and vegetables. We already know there are several types of giant edible plants.

It really depends on the patience of the giant involved and how stable the place they call home is. I don't think you'd see nomadic predators doing much gardening, for example.

Quote :
2. On the subject of food that doesn't move on its own, do you think that preds native to Felarya prefer to swallow ALL food whole, or just the wriggling variety? Unless fruits and veggies native to Felarya are just as flavorful on the outside as the inside, it seems they would be missing out on a lot of the experience, unless stretching ones' throat is particularly pleasing.

That really depends on how you want to view the setting. If you wanted to take a more realistic view of things, then yes, they would chew a lot of their food, certainly all the plant-based food. Maybe even some humans occasionally (although humans are small enough and thin enough to swallow whole fairly easily after the pred size-buff a couple years back. So swallowing humans whole could still work in a more realistic interpretation of Felarya).

If you're taking a more 'anime' or even 'fetish-centric' view of the setting, then they could swallow just about everything whole, including non-human food. Personally, I tend to lean more towards the first category, but it certainly varies from person to person.

Quote :
3. How do most jungle-dwelling denizens sleep? Does Crisis typically wake up with a headache or crick in her neck every morning due to sleeping on rocks or against trees, or do they manage to find relatively soft places to sleep? (The image of Crisis leaping onto an appropriately-sized and oddly placed bed with a look of joy on her face is cute and silly to me. Bonus points for her weight sending Léa flying.)

If the person has a usual place where they always sleep, then making a simple bed out of leaves and other soft vegetation isn't too difficult. If they just sleep wherever is convenient at the time, then they probably just rest their head on their arms and such. Nagas have their tails they can use as make-shift pillows as well. Keep in mind, these aren't modern humans roughing it in the wild, these are people born and raised in the wilderness. They're used to living like that, and getting whatever comfort out of sleep they can.

Quote :
as most pred stomachs can digest literally anything, even including a human in the most advanced armor system imaginable

That's more a holdover from old-Felarya than anything... and I believe it is another instance of author preference. If you want to look at Felarya more realistically, then humans are much less helpless than they are often portrayed to be, and their weapons and defenses are much more fearsome if applied properly.

If you want to keep to a more light-hearted and vore-centric viewpoint for the setting, then yeah, have the humans be inept, and their best weapons and armor useless. Once again, I tend to lean towards the former, but both types of stories certainly exist.
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 pm

Karbo wrote:
Well to be honest, Kallisti , Aimi and the others were added to Felarya really long ago and yeah there are various aspects of them that doesn't totally fit in the universe today. I will have a discussion with Arconius about that.

Also feel free to point things you think are inconsistencies but do it in a civil manner. If you are going to throw in angry accusations it will not goes well Rolling Eyes

And add quite a bit of stuff in there too, I go there and it seems like there's so much missing when there's so much known about it.
Back to top Go down
http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 1:32 am

I have a subject I regularly overthink. Age. I mean from what I understand when you arrive in Felarya your age is paused at what it was and you cease to age at all physically. What about people who have babies? I mean does the magic of Felarya that halts age make an exception for them? If so why? What about kids who come to Felarya? Are they forever young?
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 4:36 am

Felarya doesn't halt aging per say, it simply stops body deterioration. So you still mature into an adult, and once you reach your peak (somewhere in the late 20s depending on the person) Felarya stops the body deteriorating into frail age. If you are already starting to go into late age when arriving in Felarya, you will just stop further deteriorating.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 am

You know, j-e, you keep bringing up subjects that have already been clearly answered either in the wiki or here. Do you ever do any kind of research?
Back to top Go down
Emerald Electronic
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:16 pm

While on the subject of the age mitigating effects how do they differ between people with different magical aptitudes? That is assuming it's magical and not some sort of transcendent dimensional effect which I think I remember it is. Would people with little magical prowess stop aging at a later age?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 pm

These questions should be posed in the Q&A thread, or by reading the front page of the wiki. People who are younger than their prime will age up TO their prime, then stop.

The one problem with the whole "impossible for microbes such as bacteria..." is that people need bacteria in their body to survive. There are many vital functions in our body that are aided by bacteria, and many of them help in digestion of nutrients that we need (others I'm not so sure, but there's more bacteria in our bodies than there are blood cells). Without these bacteria, well I'm no doctor but when I asked him he said that its better we have them in our body than not.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Bael, that's already been answered too. It's not Felarya killing bacterias, it's the person's immune system being magically enhance to the point where harmful bacterias and such are facing an insurmountable hurdle.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes, but what if our immune system accidentally kills those "beneficial" bacteria too? If the immune system is bolstered, it will attack things that are judged to be harmful more effectively, and more "less harmful" bacteria might be judged harmful. Afterall, every bacteria affects our immune system in some way. There are some diseases out there that kick the immune system into over-drive, and when that happens, the immune system starts killing off not just all bacteria, but organs too. If the soil kicks our immune system into overdrive, the soil might end up leading to more diseases such as this that are way more harmful, and in the end we'll just die of disease anyway.
Back to top Go down
Emerald Electronic
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 1:34 pm

The possibility of the body attacking beneficial micro organisms, and the fact that it would attack more harmful things with far more strength brings allergies to mind. Because the system is so powerful it can overpower things a lot more easily so the kind of things that set it off may increase. Harmless things being interpreted as threats isn't just bad because you harm important bacteria but also because it's over reaction can be damaging in itself.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Emerald Electronic wrote:
The possibility of the body attacking beneficial micro organisms, and the fact that it would attack more harmful things with far more strength brings allergies to mind. Because the system is so powerful it can overpower things a lot more easily so the kind of things that set it off may increase. Harmless things being interpreted as threats isn't just bad because you harm important bacteria but also because it's over reaction can be damaging in itself.

http://sci-ence.org/cold-season-is-upon-us/

As of right now, we have to assume that for some reason, people become immune to autoimmune diseases.

That, or the autoimmune diseases kill them and hide the bodies. You know... maybe the immune system eats the person and then transforms into some sort of slime monster that goes around eating other "foreign bodies"?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Stabs wrote:
That, or the autoimmune diseases kill them and hide the bodies. You know... maybe the immune system eats the person and then transforms into some sort of slime monster that goes around eating other "foreign bodies"?

Goo girls are born!
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 5:54 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Yes, but what if our immune system accidentally kills those "beneficial" bacteria too? If the immune system is bolstered, it will attack things that are judged to be harmful more effectively, and more "less harmful" bacteria might be judged harmful. Afterall, every bacteria affects our immune system in some way. There are some diseases out there that kick the immune system into over-drive, and when that happens, the immune system starts killing off not just all bacteria, but organs too. If the soil kicks our immune system into overdrive, the soil might end up leading to more diseases such as this that are way more harmful, and in the end we'll just die of disease anyway.

It doesn't make the immune system more aggressive, it just makes its responses more powerful. If it isn't already attacking a bacteria, it isn't going to just start.

Keep in mind, the main point of the anti-aging factor is that it kicks in to prevent the body from degrading past its prime. I imagine that aspect is what's going to keep things like auto-immune diseases and cancer out of the equation as well.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
You know, j-e, you keep bringing up subjects that have already been clearly answered either in the wiki or here. Do you ever do any kind of research?

Sometimes. Though my eye condition limits how much time I can be on the PC and do have other things to do.

When I look for articles using the "Search" function sometimes it doesn't seem to be able to find what I'm looking for because of the fact the data doesn't exist. I ask people I know on MSN and here in PMs and stuff but when all that fails or I can't find the article I'm looking for I either ask in the Q and A, which is a little dead right now if you ask me, or I try threads like these. I'm sorry if it has been asked before, but it's a old one that's always nagged at me. As for bringing up old subjects...well I can't know everything that's brought up. ^^;

@ ArchmageBael: Thanks for putting that age thing into perpective I'm not confused anymore. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics   The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Thread for Overthinking Felaryan Topics
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next