Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where's the Development?

Go down 
+9
McKindle
Sigurd
Thirteen
Darth_Nergal
Stabs
parameciumkid
DarkOne
Nyaha
Archmage_Bael
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

Where's the Development? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 7:19 pm

I can't say much about RPing since I am one of the people who RP...though I try to avoid the fap material ones and go for character building RPs instead...>.>;;; However, I do some world building, and I recently posted an idea. You guys are right that a lot of the chat on the chatroom is RP, and it's difficult to get people to critique ideas on it. It's not just the chatbox though. I posted my idea on the 18th, and so far the only person who has said anything about it is Dark.

Now, I know the idea is long and it's length might make you not want to read it. But that's one of the things I want critiqued. I have a tendency to flesh out as much as I can before posting something, and I know I'm often wordy with description. I want to shorten it down without losing the information I have, or at least separate it better, to make it easier to read. I also want the idea itself critiqued. Yet no-one is saying anything about it. That's actually worse than getting negative critique.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while us RPers DO need to work more on world building and character design, those of you who have been here longer need to help out with critiques. sweatdrop It's honestly disheartening when you make something and it gets almost nothing...
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 pm

So I'm guessing people have read and responded to my post in the Dryads and Fairies thread? It's not that short after all. Oh right, no they haven't. It seems that they only way people will get posts in reply to their ideas nowadays is if someone lodges a public complaint, and stirs up a little drama.

It took Darth_Nergal to comment here and complain in this thread that nobody was posting on his idea and he felt it was left ignored (because nobody commented) before he started getting a lot of posters.

That's bad. Really bad. We all need to give a little back into the universe we love, and acknowledge each when we post an idea. For example, only after did I complain on the chatbox did someone respond and comment on my idea. I shouldn't have to do that.

Neko214 posted an idea in the New Ideas subforum called "Ucello" and somebody responded with a shoopdawhoop video. That's actually downright insulting. That shows they didn't read anything, and if they did, they didn't care about it, or bother to say anything useful - they did something quite the contrary. It's okay to put a silly video response as a joke or on the Off-Topic thread, but not on somebody's idea which they took care into creating. It's a mockery when you do that.

"But I'm bad at making ideas." - you're not making an idea here, you're just reading something and sharing your thoughts.

"It's too long!" - it's not that long, and besides this is a forum not a chatbox where normally you dont say anything thats longer than a sentence or two.

"I'm new and unsure of how to do it or what to do!" - It's not that hard, like I said you just have to set aside a little bit of time to read and respond to the post. If you're new to a forum experience it may be a little daunting, but it still just takes a little time for you to set aside.

"It's confusing, I don't know what they're saying!" - Then perhaps that would be a good thing to say as a response wouldn't it? Just be sure to give some examples.

It's not that hard. It takes less than 5 minutes to read and respond to something someone says, and if that's all it takes to give something back to the community, then its still worth the effort. We want to hear from each other, and respond and help develop each other, which is done by critiquing.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
So I'm guessing people have read and responded to my post in the Dryads and Fairies thread? It's not that short after all. Oh right, no they haven't. It seems that they only way people will get posts in reply to their ideas nowadays is if someone lodges a public complaint, and stirs up a little drama.

To be fair, you have only just posted that recently. Call me optimistic, but I at least to think that given time, people will comment eventually. But then I might just think that to escape negative thoughts about the lackluster comments my recent drawings and character profiles has have had

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Neko214 posted an idea in the New Ideas subforum called "Ucello" and somebody responded with a shoopdawhoop video. That's actually downright insulting. That shows they didn't read anything, and if they did, they didn't care about it, or bother to say anything useful - they did something quite the contrary. It's okay to put a silly video response as a joke or on the Off-Topic thread, but not on somebody's idea which they took care into creating. It's a mockery when you do that.

No need to beat around the bush, I was the one who did that. If that came off as insulting then I apologise. I was merely visualy commenting that I found the concept of a bird with lasers ubsurdly amusing. But then I was hoping that Neko might respond saying that the it's surposed to seem ubsurd (which would had been fine by me) or if he then decided it came off more silly than intended then he might rethink it.

But then when I posted that, I thought Neko had enougth familiarity with me from the chat to understand what I meant and not take it as an insult.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Well the lasers thing is a bit silly, but it would have been better to say that, then to just post with a shoopdawhoop. Since the rest of the idea is rather seriously said. If it was an idea meant to be a joke then it wouldn't be like that. I believe Neko saw it as insulting as he told me, but didn't want to say anything because he didn't want to seem like a bad person I think. I understand you didn't want it to seem insulting, I mean who would, right? It was still a bit tasteless. I don't mean any offence by this though, so please don't take it that way. I don't think any less of you, since I know you're good at thinking things through.

I did just post that recently, but that's also akin to the fact I've posted and let it sit for days and weeks and it gets absolutely no comments. It's not just about that one particular post, than it is about many posts by people who leave their posts open to be read and commented on for several days, then just disappear.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 am

Hmm, y'know probably the most effective way I found creating ideas for characters,lore, and yada yada. is simply by just talking and giving friendly heads up to people. Course I'm a person of faith so I put that as a #1 agenda in my prayers online and offline. But yeah kind of what Bael said. Don't get so wrapped up in what's around here (the fourm) Just tell your friends that your you need help on a discussion, or even some support! Start fourming (joke intended) some actual groups together. Like in highschool and college. It's not bad to have some external help every once in awhile. Heck a long time ago I asked a ballistics professor if a 120mm cannon off an abrams tank against a 100ft human like monster could do any real sort of damage to a creature that size. Sure he thought it was strange at first, and sure he asked what it was about, felarya of course; but then he took a fun little study in it and...Some cracked down math formulas and scenarios later we got a fun result and a friendly relationship outside of the question and felarya. I guess it's what I do everyday due to what my religion teaches me, but y'know what, It's not a really bad principle to try and practice. It takes a lot of paitence, endurance, and not being myopic but out of it all you end up with more support,friends, and self confidence for your ideas and your social,spiritual,personal relativity. Heck if you need help with that I'll be glad to talk to ya, lets start bumping up some certain edges around the community shall we?

I'm open invitaion to helping people with that kind of problem, and I'm sure the a fore people posting are too.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 am

ravaging vixens wrote:
Hmm, y'know probably the most effective way I found creating ideas for characters,lore, and yada yada. is simply by just talking and giving friendly heads up to people. Course I'm a person of faith so I put that as a #1 agenda in my prayers online and offline. But yeah kind of what Bael said. Don't get so wrapped up in what's around here (the fourm) Just tell your friends that your you need help on a discussion, or even some support! Start fourming (joke intended) some actual groups together. Like in highschool and college. It's not bad to have some external help every once in awhile.

I think most people woulden't even be on this fourm if there was someone they could talk about their ideas in real life. You can do that with small things that arn't specific to the world, but if it's something like artwork or a story that you want feedback on, then that requires finding someone outside the community who is into Felarya and understands the content.

And you're suggesting that we should outsource the purpose of the forum to unrelated groups. So if you want to discuss Felarya ideas, one should look elsewhere rather than the forum that was actually created to dicuss Felarya ideas. That just begs the question of what is the point in the fourm if it has to rely on other places to do it's job?
Back to top Go down
Sanion
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Sanion

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 30, 2013 10:49 pm

https://felarya.forumotion.com/t3009-precisions-about-felarya

I'd like to point everyone to this. This personally, killed my creativity to the point I'm really only on here for the company of others. If you would all like to talk to me personally about ideas saved into my brain that I don't bother to type up because of it, or the ideas I have worked on that I kicked to the curb, please feel free to contact me on Skype or in a PM.
Back to top Go down
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/3smVmIWJwV
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 7:18 am

What is it about the precisisons that has killed your creativity? Personaly I think they are fair rules and found them very easy to stick to while at the same time managing to pull off orginal stories.
Back to top Go down
Jakethecardsculptor
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Is it simply altogether possible that the stagnation of ideas has something to do with the fact that Felarya itself may have been expanded just about to its limit? You can only touch up a single world so much before you get to the point where there's simply too much detail. After that, coming up with ideas becomes difficult, and the impact of each new idea is taken increasingly for granted by those that have been immersed in the world for a while.

But that's just a theory based on my personal feelings. I look at Felarya and personally I feel a touch intimidated by the level of detail and depth in the world, and I start thinking that any ideas I came up with would be insignificant. I've also discovered in the past that I've come up with ideas for Felarya, only to find that that idea has either already been explored, or something very similar to that idea already exists. OR, that the idea is more or less verboten by the established "rules" of Felarya that have popped up in recent years.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Well I woulden't really agree with that, for example I've noticed that while there's an abundance of races, locations and such, in the end most authors pretty much write the same kind of stories and personalities.

I mean how many Felarya stories is there that kick off with some guy stumbling in from another world? How many stories are about explorers? or treasure seekers? How many Nagas and Crisis knock offs are there? How many stories are there that feature Felaryans against some kind of miltary? I simply call them Felarya cliches. Some may say that's a sign that all the best ideas have already been done, but I see it as an opportunity, it paints a clear picture of what's been done to death and new ideas will simply come out from trying to avoid those cliches.

When I came here a year ago, I thought it would be more refreashing to not try to come up with yet another speices or location and simply worked on coming with using the already existing setting to come up with fresh stories. I came up with twists, I lead the readers on, I threw red herrings, make them think it's going one direction and then go another way, I challenged the readers in some areas, and yet tried to be fairly faithful at the same time. Instead of throwing new ingredients I simply tried giving the foundations more zest.

I know not everyone here is a storyteller, but that's just an example of how I dealt with the vast Felarya setting. If you focous on the right aspects you can find that there's loads of places you can go with it.
Back to top Go down
Jakethecardsculptor
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 am

DarkOne wrote:
Well I woulden't really agree with that, for example I've noticed that while there's an abundance of races, locations and such, in the end most authors pretty much write the same kind of stories and personalities.

I mean how many Felarya stories is there that kick off with some guy stumbling in from another world? How many stories are about explorers? or treasure seekers? How many Nagas and Crisis knock offs are there? How many stories are there that feature Felaryans against some kind of miltary? I simply call them Felarya cliches. Some may say that's a sign that all the best ideas have already been done, but I see it as an opportunity, it paints a clear picture of what's been done to death and new ideas will simply come out from trying to avoid those cliches.

When I came here a year ago, I thought it would be more refreashing to not try to come up with yet another speices or location and simply worked on coming with using the already existing setting to come up with fresh stories. I came up with twists, I lead the readers on, I threw red herrings, make them think it's going one direction and then go another way, I challenged the readers in some areas, and yet tried to be fairly faithful at the same time. Instead of throwing new ingredients I simply tried giving the foundations more zest.

I know not everyone here is a storyteller, but that's just an example of how I dealt with the vast Felarya setting. If you focous on the right aspects you can find that there's loads of places you can go with it.

That's interesting. I don't read enough of the stories around here to catch on to these "clichés" you mention, so I'll take your word for it. Honestly, there's a handful of authors I trust to put out a good product and I follow them. Then, if someone comes to me asking me to use one of their characters I'll read those authors' pieces for reference material. But other than that I simply don't have the time in my life to peruse the entire Felarya "library" of fiction. More's the pity.

Perhaps the problem is far too many people simply think like me then. In any case, what is inarguable is the plain fact that things have definitely slowed down. Whatever the reason is, we can only hope the stagnation ends soon.

My solution to the perceived problem was simply to invent "another" Felarya (Ayralef, as I call it), that's basically the opposite of what Felarya is on a fundamental level. I guess that's an extreme way of thinking outside the box, but it's a project that's drawn some keen interest from others and I'm having a lot of fun with it right now.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:32 pm

*necroes the thread like a BAWSS*

I've actually started to wonder something.
What's Felarya FOR? It's not like it needs a purpose, per se, but maybe the reason people do nothing but roleplay is because we all feel like Felarya's pretty much developed enough as it is and now it's time to just play in it. If so, it doesn't explain the lack of stories being posted here, but maybe they're all just being posted on DA (I know a lot of stories are being put there) and not mirrored over here.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:51 pm

If by "Felarya" you mean this forum, then I would say this forum is for those deeply interested with Felarya and/or vore in general to mingle with their like-minded peer group. There's less attention from outsiders or those who don't get us here than there is on DA, for one, which means fewer awkward conversations and flame arguments about the subjects. But likewise, the reading audience here is smaller, which makes DA the more logical place to post stories and the like. I think that makes sense, yes?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where's the Development?   Where's the Development? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where's the Development?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2