Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

translation through video recording

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
oishi1
Tasty morsel

translation through video recording Empty
PostSubject: translation through video recording   translation through video recording Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, all of the characters in Felarya understand each other despite being from different worlds due to some kind of magic. I am working on a story where camera drones follow contestants from another world through Felarya. While the characters would understand the monsters as if they were speaking their native language, I was wondering if the cameras would translate things for the viewing audience back home or if they would hear the monsters' true languages. In many stories magic doesn't transfer well through technology. Fey tend not to show up on camera. Vampires don't show up on video or cameras, and cannot use the phone. I was wondering if there were any specific rules for this? I'm willing to play it off either way, but I want it to fit in with the rest of the stories.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: translation through video recording   translation through video recording Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am

To tell you the truth, I don't think the audience would understand anything, unless they have someone doing close-caption or they speak the same language as the characters on screen. While I can't be sure of this, people in Felarya don't speak anything strange. It's the listener that somehow understands them.
Back to top Go down
oishi1
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: translation through video recording   translation through video recording Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:09 am

I'm with you. I don't think they'd understand without close captions or subtitles. As far as people of Felarya not speaking anything strange goes, most creatures are not native to the land. I'm sure they have their own languages and the unifying magic translates without them thinking about it. While the characters that are wandering the land will understand, I'm thinking the people that see it through the cameras on their televisions will not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: translation through video recording   translation through video recording Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

translation through video recording
Page 1 of 1