Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?

Go down 
+2
parameciumkid
Nickonaquamagna
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Nickonaquamagna

What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Empty
PostSubject: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:21 pm

If you had the means to get a projector working in Felarya and got some of its larger denizens (and maybe some smaller ones) to sit down and watch some of this show, how strongly do you think they would respond to it, and just HOW would they respond to it?

Some may empathize with Eren and his mother as they see the ending of the first episode, some may see the music and story (and the portrayal of the titans, which IS basically how a lot of people see the Felaryan giants) as manipulative and "not fall for this pity party the littles have made". Some may try to reconcile the gruesomeness of it by saying "but the way WE eat people is NOTHING like that! We don't hurt anyone!" or that "It can't be THAT scary for littles, they don't feel the way those make believe littles do!", though that last sentiment would be REEEEEEEEAAAAALLY stretching it.

Some may feel bad, at least for the characters on screen, especially if they're someone who loves stories and can't help getting sucked into them. Some, like Elle, may be completely apathetic and bored by the whole thing. Some may question themselves, but shrug it off after a day or two. Some may be so effected by it that they can't help remembering that ending scene every time they catch someone and wonder if they look like that one smiley faced titan did in the eyes of their prey.

Whatever the case, it's bound to vary from person to person, and we can't expect everyone to feel the same way.... so it's probably for the best that the creators of these characters share how THEY think this would make their characters feel (provided they know just what Attack on Titan is to begin with).

Rest assured, the point of this thread is NOT to make anyone feel bad. It's about exploring characters we've grown fond of over the years.

Last edited by Nickonaquamagna on Fri May 24, 2013 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://nickinamerica.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Glad you brought this up - I picked up this anime the other day after seeing a bunch of articles about it on Sankaku Complex and found it surprisingly engaging, and thus have been awaiting a chance to discuss it with the people here.
I've a feeling that most of the stereotypical predators would have trouble identifying with any of the characters, at least at first. The whole issue of humans being eaten and how horrific they find it would just be alien to someone like Crisis.
And "the way we do it is less cruel" is complete BS, and I would make that known were I there (well maybe not for fear of being eaten, but... still). For one thing, from what I've seen the only real difference between Felaryan predation and Titan predation is that the Titans don't make a conscious effort to avoid crunching people between their teeth when they eat them. Most of the time though, they just swallow the people whole quite similarly to a Felaryan predator, and that's pretty much the cruelest way to eat someone. Death by suffocation is slow and painful and I'd trade that for death by suddenly being crushed, or being killed first and THEN eaten, any day.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:05 am

I think empathy would still be huge problem, even humans beings have problems empathizing with characters if the characters repersented arn't of their own culture.

Take 'Grave of the Fireflies' a film about the plight of two Japanese children during the second world war. I've read many comments about the film from westerners that bash the film for "Trying to make us sympathize with the country that deserved to be nuked" the fact that the characters are just children doesn't matter, the fact that they are japanese is enougth reason for these people not to give a damn.

If you get such comments from people rasied in civilization, then there isn't much hope that those in the wild will find any reason to care about the "Magical screen that tries to make us care about food."

Last edited by DarkOne on Fri May 24, 2013 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Nickonaquamagna

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:09 am

Well, maybe in general, yeah, and it's sad that there are people who feel that way in real life, but we're focusing on characters who have been developed to be complex an' whatnot.

It really depends on the individual. If the character in question was a sucker for stories or a music lover, they may, in the heat of the moment, be more susceptible to reacting to it. Some may be offended by how dopey the titans look, some may think Eren is "special"... who knows?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:53 am

Personally, I think most of them would understand it's a work of fiction. Crisis loves a good story, most of the succubi go for ten times worse as morning gossip. I could totally picture Crisis and Mennysan singing along to "Guren no Yumiya" (Seines Herzen um wi sind die Jaƫgers!) in anticipation of another good episode.

While there's a point to be made in comparing Titans to preds, most of the preds would likely miss the point entirely- and we love them for that. Some of the more kiddish predators could end up having trouble sleeping at night because the scary titans might want to come and eat them (despite it's explained that titans ONLY go after humans).

And I can totally picture Anna comparing Crisis and her happy tree friends to the titans "You huge, clumsy, destructive maneating machines!".

The only ones I can imagine making something serious out of the whole thing would be... well, Jora, and maybe Jade, but both of them would do so only for personal reasons. Jade already got the Guilt Trip That Sticks(R), after all. Might identify somewhat with the Rogue Titan- both of them are brutal in the extreme in their protection of humans.
Elle and others might not like it whatsoever, as you mention- they wouldn't just not be able to identify with anyone in the story, but find all our fun artifacts over-the-top and the notion that we can fight back at all with swords to be as ridiculous and disturbingly irrational as those creepy doll-like monsters with zero self-preservation instinct that still somehow happen to kill us.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Also, characters like crisis have human freinds, so they already have a face they can put to prey speices, but that didn't stop them from carrying on voring other people, so even if they decided they quite liked the characters of the show, it isn't going to make change their minds.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 3:16 pm

I was just thinking last night... you know that Colossal Titan from the opening? They play him up as being sooo huge, and then I imagine any one of the Felaryan giants standing next to that same wall... and the wall is so small by comparison that it's funny xD
Kinda like that picture of Tarynn standing next to a T. Rex: http://asktarynn.tumblr.com/image/33863680205

EDIT: You know what? I think I'm going to make this into a comic strip. "On that day, humanity received a grim reminder... our wall was nowhere near tall enough."
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Nickonaquamagna

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 3:45 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Also, characters like crisis have human freinds, so they already have a face they can put to prey speices, but that didn't stop them from carrying on voring other people, so even if they decided they quite liked the characters of the show, it isn't going to make change their minds.

Well, this isn't about changing their minds, just... finding out what kind of reaction they'd have, and how it would make them feel at that moment. it's as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 8:58 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
I was just thinking last night... you know that Colossal Titan from the opening? They play him up as being sooo huge, and then I imagine any one of the Felaryan giants standing next to that same wall... and the wall is so small by comparison that it's funny xD
The Colossal Titan is over 50m tall. From the look of things he's 60m, or about ~197 feet (rounding up) in height.

In other words, unless I missed a retcon, most of the Felaryan Giants won't even reach his pecs. Hell, most will still have an ab pack or two above them. From what Crisis' page says she'd be right at groin-height. Where's Popo to mention "Pecking order" when you need him?
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:06 pm

Finished it:
https://i.servimg.com/u/f79/17/27/45/47/shinge11.jpg

Huh. I just looked at that page again and it does say 103 feet... Coulda sworn before it said 103 meters xD
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:35 pm

parameciumkid wrote:
Finished it:

Huh. I just looked at that page again and it does say 103 feet... Coulda sworn before it said 103 meters xD

To be fair, that might work with some of the outer walls. Recall that in the series, the taller titans (up until recently) rarely cleared 7-9m, give or take. That's less than a third of Crisis' size. In other words,
What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Tumblr_mecr4hWVfV1qimn5h
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Well the bottom of the wall isn't showing, so I guess I can just say she climbed it. Even if she's only 30 meters, a 50 meter wall still doesn't cut it in Felarya :3
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Well I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I must say I love the artwork
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 4:46 am

parameciumkid wrote:
Finished it:

hahaha this one is priceless ! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Glad you like it ^^
I'll be posting it on DeviantArt just as soon as I get a few other things sorted out over there...
Back to top Go down
Nickonaquamagna
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Nickonaquamagna

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Well, now.... I wonder what they would make of a particularly graphic scene that was added to the show in today's episode.

You guys know which scene I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?   What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would Felaryans think of Attack on Titan?
Page 1 of 1