Share | 

Dreaming Dreaming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Dreaming Dreaming?   Sat May 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Okay, so I was thinking about the Felaryan dreamscape earlier, as well as my psionic Kahina, and I got to thinking about the implications of falling asleep (or putting yourself to sleep) while already in Felarya's dream plane. I think that a person good with self-hypnosis or just at sleeping in general could theoretically put themselves to sleep any number of times in a row after already falling asleep. Thing is, I'm not sure what effect this would really have. Part of me thinks that, by falling asleep while in the dreamscape, you'd split your consciousness off from it at that point and begin simply delving deeper into your own subconscious, or maybe just start dreaming apart from the plane. Another part of me thinks that it could create some kind of duplicate self paradox within the dreamscape, where your first dream consciousness would fall asleep in one area of the dreamscape, causing a dream within a dream and making another one of you appear in an adjacent part of the dreamscape!

Anyone else have any thoughts? I think it's a neat thing to think about, if you actually understand what I just explained.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Dreaming Dreaming?   Sat May 25, 2013 5:00 pm

O.K., here's a few alternatives I'd thought.

If we want to avoid recursivity, then being in the dreamscape either:
1- Makes you unable to fall asleep, either by making you simply incapable, or by kicking you out if it happens.
2- Makes you unable to dream, by any of the other two mechanisms.
3- Makes you do something else than sleep and dream.
3A- You could start acting like in a dream, rather than fall asleep: by the time you "wake up", you'll be taking rainbow tea with a bunch of wild rabbits, talking about the car ownership of flowers and its effects on the economy of a grain of sand. My, the dinosaurs are stocking up on dynamite. Is it because of duck season? I can't wait to duck all season.
3B- You could temporarily become PART of the dreamscape, and be a cloud, or an earthquake, or an earthquake on a cloud.

If you want things to be recursive, you could have the dream of one who's dreaming again to take priority over the immediate surroundings, thus enforcing something on everyone else's dreamscape (could be the kind of thing you can do to nemesis), or you can make them disappear and find themselves somewhere else in the region of dreams, looking at a different dreamscape with no clue what just happened.

Those be my thoughts.

EvilGenius
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Dreaming Dreaming?   Sat May 25, 2013 7:05 pm

1. You could warp to a different part of the dreamscape.
2. You could have a sort of "out of body" experience, looking down on your dreamscape self. Should you try to do it again, your dreamscape self will wake up.

As for you, Stabs, I particularly like options one, and 3b.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Dreaming Dreaming?   Mon May 27, 2013 4:44 am

Mhh interesting question here lol!

Like Stabs I think either you simply wouldn't be able to fall asleep while in the dreamscape, or maybe rarely ? or if you can, then you would find yourselves in an a much weirder place where very little things make sense. The idea of becoming part of the dreamscape is fascinating as well ^^
Or on the opposite , sleeping while sleeping could be actually very common and lead in effect to a very deep sleep where the person is not really self-conscious at all and remember very little when they wake up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Re: Dreaming Dreaming?   Mon May 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Personally, I don't really like the idea of just avoiding having to think about it and make people unable to recursive dream, so I have to say that I really dislike all of Stabs' ideas 1 through 3B. I think that doing that would block a lot of potential for interesting scenarios in the dreamscape. But, I also think that it would be okay to make normal people, who aren't psychic or skilled dreamwalkers, unable to recursive dream, as a way to keep the dreamscape stable, but people who have strong minds could kind of jack the system using their power and forcibly putting themselves to sleep again.

Stabs also said that you could use recursive dreaming to counter nemesis predators, which is something I thought, too. If putting yourself to sleep in a dream made you warp somewhere else, or gave you more pull on the dream plane, that would really work out in your favour. Or, recursive dreaming could be dangerous when a nemesis is around, if it means that you create duplicates of yourself on the dreamscape by making other dreams, because then your "awake" dream self would be somewhere else in a different dream, leaving the nemesis free to devour your "sleeping" dream self! There really are a lot of ways to go with it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: Dreaming Dreaming?   Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 am

I'll be honest...I've never fallen alseep in a dream before...Well, I've never tried before. As a lucid dreamer I shall have to try it and see what happens. =D As for what would happen if you fell asleep in a dream, here's my theory: First, you would physically fall into a deeper sleep then you normally would be in. In the Dreamscape, I think you would gain more pull on the Dream Plane, and have more control over both your dream world and other people's dream worlds. However, since you were 8in a deeper sleep, you'd remember little to none of your dreams. ^_^

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dreaming Dreaming?   

Back to top Go down

Dreaming Dreaming?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion-
Jump to: