Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Urox Clan [WIP]

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

The Urox Clan [WIP] Empty
PostSubject: The Urox Clan [WIP]   The Urox Clan [WIP] Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 7:47 pm

Urox:
The Uroxi is a human tribe, native to Felarya, inhabiting the Direwind hills.
It is a single tribe in the Heort Region, other tribes, practicing similar rituals, exist around the Urox.
They have a barbaric nature, families live in large rectangular longhouses, inside a wooden palisade serving as a wall.
The Tula is the territory of a clan, the vilalge is located in the center of the Tula, surrounded by a ditch and wooden palisades.

Uroxi Culture:

The Clan Ring: The clan ring consists of 7 members, each specialized in an aspect of daily life.
The Jarl: The Jarl is the leader of the clan, having the final say on all decisions, and planning for the future of the clan.
The Beast Tamer: The Beast Tamer is in charge of overseeing domestic wildlife, assigning cottars their herds, choosing which cows are ripe enough to be sacrificed, and dividing land among families. They also decide on how much land shall be converted to agricultural fields and pastures, and how much of the land shall remain wild and untouched.
The Bargainer: The Bargainer is in charge of trade with other clans in the area, they are skilled at logistics, understand currency exchange rates among the clans, and distribute loot and goods to the Weaponthanes. They are also in charge of diplomatic missions.
The Warrior: The Warrior is in charge of the Urox military, they choose children who have potential to be trained as Weaponthanes, deciding when to declare war, and leading raids during Storm Season.
The Traditionalist: The Traditionalist oversees daily life, settling domestic and civil disputes, ensuring that the customs and laws of the Clan are followed.
The Wind Lord: The Wind Lord is the Arch Mage of the clan, spending much of his or her life studying magic and applying it to daily life. They are the ones with the strongest connections to Heortian Gods, and lead the yearly sacrifices.
The Druid: The Druid is almost always female, Druids are born with elf-like features, and have the ability to connect to nature, communicating with animals and pacifying migrating Snowstalkers from the Tundra.
Any decision made by a ring member is brought to the full ring, the ring disputes the issue, and the Jarl hands down the final decision.

Urox Warriors:

The Levy: Farmers given a rounded shield and a simple spear, they form the backbone of the military, quick to form to repel any raids, all Urox members, male or female, are required to patrol the Tula for at least a week per season cycle
The Urox Clan [WIP] Arverni_gaelaiche

Auxiliary troops: Farmers who are skilled at throwing, slinging, or firing ranged weaponry are given bows, slings, and javelins, staying back and harassing rival soldiers as the two sides charge. They are given short swords for emergencies.

WeaponThanes: Full time warriors trained from a young age, they are given armor (anything from padded leather to chain mail) , helmets, and rectangular shields, painted with their family's crest. They ride horses into battle, and some know powerful magic.
Spoiler:

Urox Civilians:

Thralls - the lowest class, slaves, taken from other clans or serving sentences for crimes. Thralls are given half the normal amount of food, and are forced to work outside of the safety of the Tula, where predators roam... Children of thralls are born free.
Cottars - The middle class, forming the majority of the population. Cottars are farmers, given a small plot of land to cultivate and tend to, and small herds of cattle.
Nobles/traders/Weaponthanes - The higher class of the clan, they sometimes employ Cottars and Thralls as servants, they have more luxuries than the rest of the clan, such as heat and exotic meats and fruits.
Ring Members - The highest class of the Urox Clan, they have the most luxuries and live in the Clan Hall.

The Gods:
The Urox (and most Heortian clans) worship six main deities, and many minor ones.
The six main deities are -
Eura The Cow Mother - Goddess of cows and patron deity of the Cottars, she is the wife of Orlandi.
Orlandi - The Father. He is the king of the Gods, master of the elements.
Humanis - The Goddess of Death, she is the patron deity of the Weaponthanes, she is sacrificed to in order to gain favor during raids.
Issar - The Talking God, The Trickster God.
Aphrodite - The Goddess of fertility.
Urox - The patron God of the Urox clan, Urox is an infamous berserker, he is known to hate Demons, and hunts them down during Storm season.

There are many other Gods who control smaller things in Life. Despite their lifestyle, Heortian clans acknowledge the existence of Foreign Gods, and even sacrifice to them if the situation calls for it.

The Seasons:

Bloom - The season of rebirth, sacrifice, and hope, Bloom is a time of fertility and mild weather. Damage taken during Storm season is repaired during Bloom. Sacrifices to the Gods are made during Bloom, and God-talkers receive prophecies and omens. Bloom lasts for two weeks.
Sea - Sea season is when crops are sowed and cows give birth, starting the agricultural cycle over again. It is a hungry time for people, but animals begin to fatten and children are born. Sea season lasts for eight weeks.
Fire - Fire season is hot and dry. While the crops are ripening, the men are free from the toils of the soil, and can take up arms. Fire seasons lasts eight weeks.
Earth - Earth season is harvest time, every able hands, old and young, bring in the grain. At the end of the season, animals are slaughtered to prepare for the oncoming cold. Earth season lasts for eight weeks.
Storm Season- A season of chaos and destruction. Cold, bitter winds blow down south from the Tundra, Migrating Snowstalkers and other beasts attack cattle, thralls are lost in blizzards, and homes are destroyed by hail storms. Most raids are carried out during Storm. This is the final season in the cycle, and like the others, lasts eight weeks.

Last edited by hhhat09 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sigurd
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Sigurd

PostSubject: Re: The Urox Clan [WIP]   The Urox Clan [WIP] Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 8:20 pm

This is a good idea, but there's only one real problem I have with this:

hhhat09 wrote:

The Levy: Farmers givena buckler and a simple spear, they form the backbone of the military, quick to form to repel any raids, all Urox members, male or female, are required to patrol the Tula for at least a week.
A buckler typically doesn't cover too much more than your fist, because it wasn't designed to deflect anything thicker than a rapier point. The Buckler was a duelist's shield, not the shield of a warrior or soldier. To be fair, they'd get better protection by strapping a plank of oak to their wrist than they would from a buckler.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: The Urox Clan [WIP]   The Urox Clan [WIP] Icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Okay first thing. You don't sacrifice the cow unless you want to starve. the bull is the one you sacrifice. ^^; People always forget that males can't have offspring and thus females are precious. having a dozen roosters means one will eat dozen times, but having a ten hens and two roosters is a chance to produce a lot more to eat than a dozen if you just wait. Farmer value patience.

Neko214 wrote:
A buckler typically doesn't cover too much more than your fist, because it wasn't designed to deflect anything thicker than a rapier point.
I don't remember many Vikkings, who invented the Buckler if I'm not mistaken, having Rapiers. They liked short, but fat blades. In fact the blade is used a shield in traditional Vikking hand to hand.

As for the people themselves I think I recognize these class designations and ranks. I think I read about them in fantasy novel called "The Wayfarer's Saga" or something. Oh well the point is they work quite well! Very original and well thought out,but you never actually say what the people themselves look like. Also how do the winds of the Direwind Hills not effect them? Do they have magical means of portection or just really good architectal design in their buildings? Other than that not bad!
Back to top Go down
Sigurd
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Sigurd

PostSubject: Re: The Urox Clan [WIP]   The Urox Clan [WIP] Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 7:28 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
Okay first thing. You don't sacrifice the cow unless you want to starve. the bull is the one you sacrifice. ^^; People always forget that males can't have offspring and thus females are precious. having a dozen roosters means one will eat dozen times, but having a ten hens and two roosters is a chance to produce a lot more to eat than a dozen if you just wait. Farmer value patience.

Neko214 wrote:
A buckler typically doesn't cover too much more than your fist, because it wasn't designed to deflect anything thicker than a rapier point.
I don't remember many Vikkings, who invented the Buckler if I'm not mistaken, having Rapiers. They liked short, but fat blades. In fact the blade is used a shield in traditional Vikking hand to hand.

As for the people themselves I think I recognize these class designations and ranks. I think I read about them in fantasy novel called "The Wayfarer's Saga" or something. Oh well the point is they work quite well! Very original and well thought out,but you never actually say what the people themselves look like. Also how do the winds of the Direwind Hills not effect them? Do they have magical means of portection or just really good architectal design in their buildings? Other than that not bad!
The buckler was a Renaissance design, not a viking design.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: The Urox Clan [WIP]   The Urox Clan [WIP] Icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 am

jedi-explorer wrote:

Neko214 wrote:

They sacrifice to the Gods for protection and assistance in reducing deaths and damage during Storm season,
I'm still working on appearance ^^ But the picture of the levies shows a basic example of a farmer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Urox Clan [WIP]   The Urox Clan [WIP] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Urox Clan [WIP]
Page 1 of 1