Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crimson Maiden Proving Quest

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. I
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Mr. I

Crimson Maiden Proving Quest Empty
PostSubject: Crimson Maiden Proving Quest   Crimson Maiden Proving Quest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 1:56 am

So as I was reading through the wiki to set up the bio for my newest OC, Kristine the Crimson Maiden, I noticed that the detail surrounding what exactly the proving quest is is unfortunately vague. Do youth have to kill a beast? Experience a vision? Go to a lake and fight a few small bugs to reach an ancient room that reacts to the magic within them?

Given that the Crimson maidens are militaristic by nature, and highly adept at fire magic, I would think that the proving quest would include elders or people in power would burn the youth in a painful bath of flames, not so severe as to cripple them, but to inflict a great amount of pain, and then sent out to kill a dangerous creature, such as a Tonorian or a Duplicator Geko. This assumes that their society follows the tribal mindset of adulthood through pain, and suffering. If this is the case, then it is reasonable to assume that the youth can only use their natural magic abilities to kill whatever it is that they have to kill and bring back proof. Such as an ear, or a few scales.

Then there's the flip side, where the youth simply has to survive in the wilderness or experience some sort of vision before they are allowed to return. The burning or "cleansing" would still be a part of the ritual so that the youth can successfully do some soul searching while they are surviving in the harsh environment of Felarya. This is more common in some Native American and African societies.

That's all I got at the moment. For now, I must sleep.  Sleep 
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Maiden Proving Quest   Crimson Maiden Proving Quest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 2:26 am

I imagine that while they're young, they have to be taught how to kill, fight properly, as well as any other sort of survival tool until they get to a certain age when they are cast out for a certain length of time and are required to survive. When they come back, they are much tougher, and probably also have to think about some sort of philosophy they hand down.

In my story, Mara was never raised as a Crimson Maiden, so when she arrived in their lands, she underwent a psuedo test, where she was out in the wilderness, not just to survive, but to fight, and in this case rescue someone important to her. I imagine Crimson Maidens would accept another as one of their own as long as they show some sort of trait related to their kind, and then they are allowed to under go a partial/altered proving.

I see a proving as "prove you are indeed one of us". It probably also gives honor to the family, and the more Crimson Maidens a family has and that get through alive, gives them more honor.

Of course a place like the Jungle of Perils/Crimson Wood is really dangerous, so having to survive out there as a kid would likely result in some fatalities.

On the other hand:

Don't forget the wiki also states that the only time anyone in the lower regions of Felarya ever run into Crimson Maidens are the children who are out on their proving quest. However, it doesn't state that they are indeed children - implying Crimson Maidens may also go through provings when they are full adults too. I think that means there is something that has to do with skill in certain areas, and that they need to meet minimum requirements to go on this proving...

Also that Crimson Maidens go south, or are seen in the south implies they have to travel, and are not restricted to where they have to go. Here's the question though: What exactly are they proving, on a proving quest? That they are an adult/mature, that they are skilled fighters, that they have found some truth about the world?

We know they are fierce warriors mainly, but if they also have scholarly and some philosophical aspects to their society, knowledge and secrets could be a big part of their proving. Crimson Maidens do feel like some ancient society...
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Maiden Proving Quest   Crimson Maiden Proving Quest Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 5:50 am

I think the fact the proving quest is so vague is the whole point in this case. People of Felarya know next to nothing about Crimson Maidens, and for good reason. Another reason in my opinion is because the quest itself is never the same for each one, kinda like how exams are never exactly the same every year for us, even for the same grade. I mean, if everyone knew in advance what the proving quest was, it would take away a lot of the challenge, which would be ridiculous for a warrior society.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crimson Maiden Proving Quest   Crimson Maiden Proving Quest Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crimson Maiden Proving Quest
Page 1 of 1