Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)

Go down 
+4
ravaging vixen
Karbo
Darth_Nergal
Shady Knight
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Empty
PostSubject: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 13, 2014 8:26 pm

Well, since my revision of nekos was well-received, I figured I might do the same for elves.  This isn't really meant to be update the page for elves, I just like to emphasize the difference between them and humans for funsies and I like to do big world-building in general, and if Karbo wants to make this a new page for elves, he can go right ahead.  I'll probably do more of these for most of the other major species at one point or another, also mostly for funsies.  Like with my entry for nekos, lots of flavor-text and personal biases, and ripping off pages from somewhere else cause I'm unoriginal.

Elves are humanoid beings present on many worlds.  They generally stand taller than humans and possess a graceful, slender physique.  They are easily recognizable thanks to their long, pointed ears, their high cheekbones, their wide and expressive eyes, filled with vibrantly colored pupils, and their colorful, silky hair.  All of these traits lead elves to be widely viewed as an extraordinarily beautiful race.

Biological Traits

Elves age much slower than other humanoid species.  An elf who at first glance appears no older than a human in her late teens to early twenties may really be 100 or even 200 years old.  How slowly they age on average is unknown, as it appears to vary a lot from species to species, with some aging only twice as slowly as humans.  Oddly, elven pregnancy is almost identical as human pregnancy and lasts about just as long as well.  Both male and female elves grow very little body hair, save for eyebrows and maybe pubic hair.  Interestingly, while female elves can achieve about the same muscle mass as female humans, male elves appear to only be able to gain slightly higher muscle mass than females.

Elves are nimble and are gifted with incredible manual dexterity, able to negotiate narrow or treacherous surfaces, and able to perform tasks requiring a great deal of precision.  Their keen sense of vision and hearing allow them to spot faraway objects more clearly and hear faint sounds that an average human couldn't perceive, though their vision and hearing aren't as sharp as that of harpies or nekos.  Combined with their incredible reflexes, elves make for a quick-witted and alert race, able to react to danger almost as soon as it strikes.  But for all these great assets, elves are cursed with a frail form.  The bones of an elf have considerably lower density than those of a human's.  Though the lighter weight of their skeleton contribute to their signature agility, this lack of volumetric mass leave their bones comparatively fragile and more prone to fracture.  As a result, most elves shy away from close combat.  Due to their skeleton being so much lighter, elves weigh considerably less than humans of similar height and physique.

A seemingly universal trait of elves is their proficiency with ranged weapons.  Thanks to their keen senses, they are deadly accurate with almost any kind of projectile weapons, and often naturally feel comfortable shooting a target from a distance rather than attacking up close.  Another seemingly ubiquitous characteristic is their sensitivity to magic.  On magic rich worlds, elves almost always make for excellent magic users, possessing an almost inherent talent and understanding of the magic arts, as well as a very slight natural resistance against spells.  The reason behind this uncanny ability is unknown, and while they practice varied forms of magic, elves born with innate magical power are far more common than any other species with the exception of fairies, which further contribute to their reputation as natural-born magicians.

Another interesting trait of elves is their curious attachment to their surroundings.  Elves who dwell in a region for long find themselves physically adapting to match their surroundings, most noticeably taking on coloration reflecting the local environment, and developing attributes and abilities in order to better survive.  For example, elves living near the sea may develop a bluish coloration, webbed feet, and possibly gills.  Such elves, however, are often very ill-fitted to survive outside of their chosen habitat.  Furthermore, their diet become much more specialized, leaving them nearly unable to eat anything that doesn't conform to what can be found in their usual environment without becoming sick.  Curiously, Felaryan elves don't appear to suffer from such a highly exclusive diet and are usually able to safely consume a diverse selection of food, though they still derive greater sustenance from what they are naturally used to eating.

Social Behavior

Elves are numerous in the northern parts of Felarya and come in many different species and groups.  They form tight-knit communities where nearly every member know each other very well and everyone is equal.  Some are ruled by a single leader or a group of leaders, but in general, the head of an elven community is rarely treated with the same kind of luxurious privileges a human king or noble would, and thus feel a much stronger kinship with his brethren.  To other races, elf neighbors may instead look like family despite not being related.

Some elves feel a bond with nature and strive to live in harmony in the wilderness, using their natural abilities and reflexes to survive and thrive there.  Others are used to living among humans in cities like Negav and would last no more than a few minutes in the jungle.  Elven settlements in the wild are usually pretty difficult to find, being either built high in the trees, or covered by illusions of some sort.  Elven clothing often plays off the beauty of the natural world, though elves that live in cities tend to bedeck themselves in the latest fashion.  Regardless of where they live, elves are generally very fond of expressing themselves through the arts of drawing, music, and literature.  They usually possess inborn patience, making them particularly suited to wizardry.  Moreover, this patience ensures that they rarely jump to conclusions and take the time get as many details right as possible, which make them excellent judge of characters.

Elves form a competitive lot, being most well known for their grandiose archery competitions.  Archery is a very old elven tradition, having been used as a form of duel to settle a dispute or prove one's worth for centuries.  To them, competitive archery is more than a simple contest to see who is the better marksman; it is a representation the most important virtues of an elf and it is the most important opportunity for anyone to prove its mettle.  They must choose their target carefully, wait for the right moment, and then strike with power and precision.  A poor showing in archery is deemed one of the biggest humiliations anyone can suffer.  Another form of competition that is recently surfacing in Negav is fencing.  While not quite as popular or as symbolic as archery, practitioners deem it "An elegant combination of a dance and a chess match that tests the speed of one's feet and wit."  Though many elves have a distaste for close combat, if they were forced into it, many claim they would choose the rapier as their weapon of choice, or any other light weapon that requires a great deal of finesse to master.

Elves took an important part in the History of Felarya, taking part in many events that shaped the world and building the greatest empire on record.

Relations with Other Races

Elves are infamous for rarely mixing with other races, giving them a very polarizing reputation to say the least.  At best, they are viewed as a deeply individualistic race, constantly trying to improve themselves in every domain imaginable, and simply can't help showing off.  At worst, they're depicted as haughty and disdainful stuck-ups, firmly believing that all other races are inferior beings, and that their problems is none of their concerns.

The truth is actually more complex.  While some elves are truly this self-centered, others such as the Majuras and Shamshis simply prefer a reclusive lifestyle, and their lack of contact with outsiders is often mistaken as xenophobia.  A common explanation as to why they do not openly interact with other races is that elves become morose and often develop a skewed perception of mortality as a result of watching wave after wave of companions age and die before their eyes.  Their egotistical behavior would thus stem from a desire to avoid having to suffer through such an ordeal if at all possible.

Yet another reason for not getting along with other races may stem from their highly traditionalist values.  Coupled with their long lifespan, elves are generally very slow to accept changes or make new friends, both at a personal and national levels.  This also give elves a reputation for being technologically backwards.  A common joke in cities like Negav is that when fully-automatic firearms become affordable and common place, elves will only have just begun the transition toward crossbows.  That said, once someone is considered a comrade, such alliances can last for generations.

Whatever the reasons, elves have very rocky relations with other races.  Though they'll rarely say it out loud, elves are sometimes fascinated by humans, particularly their creativity and how multitalented they can be, though they are also just as quick to dismiss them as rash and prone to poor judgment.  Though they would be the first to acknowledge an inu's and neko's physical prowess, they also regard them both with a measure of pity, seeing their aptitudes as the byproduct of a sinful union between beast and man.  Perhaps their strangest relation is with the rare Nemeses, ironically seeing them as decadent, long-necked freaks.  It doesn't help that nemeses provide elves with stiff competition over the title of greatest sharpshooters, leading to an intense, albeit one-sided rivalry.

Elves are seen as some of the finest snipers in Negav, a claim they are obviously very proud of.  Well-trained, they are skilled at avoiding detection, slipping past foes and danger alike, and striking unseen from across great distances.  They are however upset that nekos, particularly Nekomurans, are deemed superior scouts, whom the most prideful of elf clans dismiss as barbaric beastfolks.

It's interesting to note that long ears are considered a seductive trait among elves in Felarya.  An elf calling another "short-ears" can be pretty offensive, and an otherwise perfectly gorgeous elf lady could fall into depression because of the shortness of her ears.  Perhaps this is yet another reason why elves don't mix with other races: they just think they're ugly because of their short ears.

Giant Elves

On Felarya, the size of an elf varies a lot.  While most are roughly as tall as humans, if slightly taller, others can easily reach 100 feet in size.  The theory is that, because of their sensitivity to magic, some elves become infused with the magic of the soil and undergo a growth spurt that allows them to reach giant size.  It's also assumed some giant elves are created by magical means, growing from a human-sized individual to a giant, through some rituals, such as the Tajyms Khajals.  Depending on their size, elves can be both prey and predator.  Small elves find themselves confronted with a big problem: they taste incredibly good and once a predator has eaten one, it will usually try to catch others.  On the other hand, giant elves, such as the Scarlet Elves, make frighteningly efficient hunters because of their heightened vision and hearing, and their lightning quick reflexes.  It should be noted that it is difficult for a giant elf to even think of eating a small elf, no matter their species.  It could happen, but it would be a very rare things.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by Shady Knight on Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:02 pm; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Darth_Nergal
Hero
Hero
Darth_Nergal

Location : Someplace north Tonorian Hive, south of the Chordoni Waterfall, east of the Kuwuni bridge, and west of the Lataran Temple

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2014 8:05 pm

I really like this, especially your ideas with Elven social behavior. I don't think I can really add anything to this currently, though give me some time and I might come up with something. I do like how you added that Giant Elves are reluctant to eat their smaller Elven brethren. I like that since it seems most giant preds have no problem with eating smaller members of their race. It makes the Elves feel a bit more...I dunno...Elvish, and it makes them stand out from the average crowd.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sithlordnergal.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 5:20 am

The part with the giant elves is actually ripped right off from the current page for elves. I just did some small corrections and the mention of giant elves being very reluctant to eat small ones wasn't one of them.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 8:06 am

Very good job on this one ^^
I really like what you are doing with those revisions, they add so much more to the species Smile
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 20, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks. I just did some small corrections on that one because I apparently don't know what proofreading is.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 1:27 pm

I added something about the tight-knit communities of elves. I thought this was very important information to know about them and something that further help them stand out.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 2:01 pm

y'know a thing i have been prospecting, but you get elves from both fantasy and sci-fi right? Is there anyway you can sort of put a contrast of that with social norms. Like for example "You have some Elven communities that are more archaic when it comes to traditions, But don't think that they are that by all means. Some have even developed into space or even galactic species, only to be caught up in felarya by the dimensional rifts. Not by surprise either, most of these Elven societies also develop a high potency of psionics as their main natural use as an opposed or alternative to their magic kin...-" something along those lines if you have any ideas.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 3:00 pm

The problem with bringing up the possibility of such a space faring is that is really encompasses all non-giant species.  Once it's repeated enough times, the information feel less like it's developing the species and more as a reminder that you can have Space Elves or Space Inus.  In my opinion, I think it's better for the wiki to be about the species that live in Felarya and how they live there to keep things focused.

In any case, I mostly ripped things off Pathfinder's PRD because, as the first post said, I am unoriginal.
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 3:27 pm

I agree with most of what you said, How ever i'm going to have to intrude that felarya has a setting of both fantasy and science fiction. So at least a notice of possibility that there are Elves like that in felarya rather than leaving that blank slate. Gives people more ideas how to handle that too. And to be fair anybody that knows there's traditional elves likes the fact that there can be space elves too (I should know i talk to people like that all the time and the character in my avatar is one). So anyway to implement that they do exist would be nice, that or i'll try to make it sound reasonable with the entry myself.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 3:44 pm

The problem is, again, that if you mention space elves, you have to mention space humans, and space nekos, and space inus, and possibly space nagas and crap, and dropping it in their respective entries would either be an afterthought, as in basically just a mention that they exist, or a section of their entry that would feel so disconnected because it doesn't really touch about Felarya itself, just that some cousin species from another world occasionally end up in Felarya on exceedingly rare occasions. Imagine if there was an article that described a species of Not Vulcans, it would stick out like a sore thumb because, to make it comprehensive, it would hardly ever touch about Felarya since they're not native, aside from mentioning that they sometimes end up there, which begs the question as to why they even get their own page in a wiki about Felarya if it hardly ever bring up anything the setting itself.

I don't mind sci-fi despite not being big on it in Felarya, but I think space-faring, advanced tech end and the sci-fi elements in general should be dealt in an entirely different page. Having to mention them in so many different entries just wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 4:42 pm

If you want to have a bit devoted to Elves for space faring tech, I think it can work.
Include a small sub-article on the page for sci fi elements discussing advances regarding ships. Or armor. Or weapons, whichever works. Perhaps advanced bows for elves? To fit with their general culture (archery contests being a huge thing, if I remember.)
The elves can be described as being the "first" species to really use it in an organized fashion - first Felaryan native group to use it, that is.
Maybe a small group in a fractured little confederacy, or a mercenary/PMC group - Vix would enjoy that, I think Wink - of primarily elves, supplied by elves.
A small article, mind. The rest of the article could be ambiguous as to what or which species has the tech being discussed in a paragraph.

There is now a sniper rifle in reality that does the majority of aiming for the user.
The sub article could, at the very least, acknowledge the Elves pioneering head-start in advanced weaponry.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 4:47 pm

Okay.  What about space-faring humans and nekos and inus, then? I should also point out that the archery thing is something about Felaryan elves. Associating a specific aspect of culture to every single species of elf, regardless of environment, upbringing, or even home universe, is on par with dwarves always having beards, living underground or in mountains, and drinking nothing but beer.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 pm

"open to or having several possible meanings or interpretations; equivocal:
an ambiguous answer."

As I've said. Ambiguous. Unclear. Not naming any specific species in temrs of armor advancements, or holograms, etc.
Humans, Inus, Nekos, Sapient Trans Dimensional Blobs.

Whatever floats the interpreter's boat while imagining it, as long as they can explain it in a story, or provide a reasoning for a group to have technology above the norm that would be described in the article.

IE: Implementations in armor on the leg, nanotechnology that reacts to severe heat - magic, for example - and quickly reacts to harden and protect the skin underneath.
But at the same time, remaining loose and fluid until such reaction occurs. This COULD be a Neko advancement - speed. Or it could be an Inu -speed, a more aggressive nature calling upon armor improvements - invention. Or maybe human footsoldiers driving out rogue mages, thieves or highwaymen.

It'll be a "general" advancement that can be implied to be of any specie's origin, if advanced beyond what's discussed in the article, or not discussed, it'll be up the the author to discuss the particular piece of tech and how it came about.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 5:10 pm

When you say "sub-article", you mean an article connected to another one, like how the article for Phantom Elves is a sub-article for Elves. If you want to put something that touches on all sci-fi elements in Felarya in general, it'd have to be a separate, complete article. If that sub-article you suggest be connected to the elves, it would have to talk exclusively about the elves, and not suddenly derail into talking about the humans and the cat people, regardless how vague or ambiguous the writing. The part about the humans and the cat people would then have to be in their own sub-article on the article for humans and the article for nekos. And after the first one, what else would there be to say about the space humans or space nekos to make them stand out a lot more from the standard human and nekos other than just living in spaceships, and yet STILL be plenty relevant to their life in Felarya because, as I'd like to remind everyone, the wiki is about Felarya first and foremost. It's easy to say "we can do this" and not think of the finer details. But when it comes to executing it, it becomes much easier said than done.

I love how this thread which was about elves has suddenly devolved into talk about basically aliens.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 5:23 pm

I love how stubborn you are in misinterpreting others.

And no, when I said "sub article", I was referring to paragraphs in a page that are separated - with those big, pretty, bold letters?

I said it, I'll say it again. Not EVERY species has to be "unique." There are no snowflakes and chances are the tech itself would be present in another dimension.

This is for FELARYA - as you so eagerly remind us - and it's technology.
It won't be widespread. If you had read my points and actually gave them thought rather than jumping to conclusions, you would've likely came to the conclusion - as I have intended - that these pieces of tech would not be widespread at all.
"Small fractured confederacy"
"Footsoldiers (Think of S.W.A.T. if the concept of limited spread for balance is so hard to comprehend.) hunting down dangerous targets."

We don't NEED explanations for "Space Inus"
The technology would be impossible to keep confined to a single species, for one. The elf point was for ACKNOWLEDGEMENT. Not magic-patents that zap every other species, forcing them to come up with their own tech

For two, it wouldn't need much of an explanation when it's at a small scale. A genius, a trader that got lucky, destroyed caravans picked apart by scavengers. There are TRANS DIMENSIONAL GATES located at two major landmarks - an entire destroyed city and the most populated area of Felarya that likely contains up to half the population of human sized beings as a whole.

I had never intended to have it be widespread like Vix desires. I assumed it'd be simple to grasp without blunt explanation, but I digress.

Yes, this has sidetracked a bit, but it's related to a concept of elves that could exist - Simple and Complex - and discusses problems you apparently have regarding it, Shady.
So yes. I agree, I love how it "devolved". I enjoy extended brainstorming. It tends to lead to higher quality drafts down the line. Something I thought you'd appreciate given the general angst about quality present in this community.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Glad that we're on the same page and done talking about space people.
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Glad you were able to comprehend that. ^_^
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:17 pm

BTW, I am genuinely sorry if I pushed a few buttons with those last posts.
I just lose my patience, occasionally. Have had a few shiny buttons installed lately. Too many people ignoring entire sentences or forgetting the definitions of certain words.

If you genuinely have an impairment regarding that, I'm sorry, if you do and tell me, I'll be much more patient in the future should an argument/debate spark.
If you didn't because you didn't feel like reading and skimmed it, well, read more and that'll be dandy for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Let's get back to elves, then.

I took a look at your article. It's quite complete, but there were a few things that made me think of some brain fodder.

First of all, Felarya doesn't make a huge deal about age anywhere, but you mention here that elves don't age, and that they take about twice as long as humans to mature. We don't know the maturation rates of any species; are you sure you wanted that in the article? Even further, watching wave after wave of friends die of age? That might happen outside Felarya, but inside, you will want to explain how do they feel about the immortality of lesser races instead.

Second, in their biology... are you sure you want them to have fragile bones? The D&D thing with elves having Con -2 wasn't because of brittle bones, it was because on average they just weren't as hardy as humans despite being outdoorsier. You could go for small-framed: instead of smaller bones, they would have a smaller everything, and just wouldn't be able to take as much punishment as humans can. Or maybe their metabolism is a little more hardcore in its sensitivity to environmental stressors, which makes it overreact to anything they aren't used to (and then overreact again once they're out of it, making them twice as miserable).

Third, in relations with other races. It's interesting that you point out how they perceive nekos/inus, and I understand why you don't mention other hybrids (they are a default PC race, so to speak, while dridders/harpies are not), but I think you could afford to slip in what they think about half-hybrids. You also make no mention of their feelings regarding vore, which is also what highlights nekos/nagas the most. Could it be they think it's something that happens to othe people? What about tomthumbs and neeras, anything they would like to say regarding them?

Fourth, do they have anything to say regarding their empire? Does it have any effect on their current society or worldview? Is it responsible for any of the traits other races abscribe to them? Do elves from different places feel differently regarding their ancient empire or are they overall united in their like/dislike for it?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 am

I probably should have mentioned that I am taking liberties when writing these revisions cause I can't really help myself.  Anyway, to answer your questions...

1. I'm pretty sure I never said that elves don't age at all and that how slowly they age seems to vary a lot, with aging only twice as fast as an example.  The aging thing is something I got from Karbo by asking him via PM.  It would have been a neat piece of information, but like basically everything else on the wiki, he never reveals such information for some reason.  Part of the reason I'm doing these revisions in the first place.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not big on the soil that makes people live way longer.  I get that the idea is that it hardly matters in the wild since something could pop out of nowhere and kill you in a moment's notice, but in safe places like Negav that has stood for over two centuries in its current form, we get problems like possible overpopulation with the older generation never dying, or a static population, which is boring.  In any case, and this probably is going to contradict my previous statement about keeping things focused on Felarya, for elves that don't live on Felarya, like you decide to bring an elf from Original, But Undeveloped Setting That Exists Solely For The Sake Of Bringing A Non-Native Character To Felarya #305, the fact that they probably live far longer than humans would be nice to know.  Otherwise, it's generally assumed that a humanoid's lifespan is about the same as ours.

2. Yes, the "elves being frail" does come from D&D.  I went with having a weaker and lighter skeleton for two reasons.  The first one, I find D&D's and other sources' wording too vague for my liking.  What exactly do they mean with "fragile features"?  How exactly is their form "frail"?  Why exactly are they "less hardy" than humans?  So I went with my own interpretation and gave them weaker bones so there would be a clear reason for once.  Plus, it makes sense that they would all main the bow or the spells that make the monsters fall down if they naturally can't take much punishment.  The second one, I noticed that in D&D that elves, despite being taller on average than humans, weigh about only half as much, which doesn't make any sense without some shenanigans, hence a lighter skeleton.  I prefer a lighter skeleton because it gives them a definite non-human feel in my opinion.

3. Again, if I don't mention it, that means I'm not too big on it.  Since Tinies have such a, well, tiny influence in Negav, I didn't feel like it was important to mention. But all things considered, I'd say at best they think Tinies are insignificant and ignore them completely, and at worst they consider them no different from rats or other vermins and treat them as such. When it comes to the other hybrids like dridders and harpies, I think it's quite obvious that elves hate them like everyone else.

4. I have no idea what they think of their old empire or if it had an effect on them.  I think that goes a little too much into Felarya's history, which I think is up to Karbo to answer that.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:06 am

I added your rewrite with some little tweaks here and there ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:00 pm

It looks good. I have no complaints.
Back to top Go down
nipa101
Naga food
nipa101

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 am

"The theory is that, because of their sensitivity to magic, some elves become infused with the magic of the soil and undergo a growth spurt that allows them to reach giant size"

If someone made a video of a elf undergoing a growth spurt... I would be speechless and then yell at the top of my lungs "I LOVVVVVVVVVE ITTTTTTTTTT!" please make a video of a elf undergoing a small to giant growth spurt!

"It's also assumed some giant elves are created by magical means, growing from a human-sized individual to a giant, through some rituals, such as the Tajyms Khajals"

although the fairy's treaty with the elves is no longer in effect I think the fairy's still like them... maybe they like some elven so much that they make them giants so they can be happy with the fairy's;)
Back to top Go down
http://tlank606@Gmail.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 am

That's not how fairy magic works, bub.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2016 12:08 am

Again rather impressed with the article. I like that you had a mix of Elf sterotypes and some things I hadn't seen before that made them more redeemed sounding than the typical "pointy eared, arrogant sons of Kenshas" you always hear people say. XD I in particular like how you balanced the 'super human stats' with less dense bone structure and slightly stubborn and unyielding trogolodytism. The one thing that always bugs me about Elves is we see no evidence of their once great empire. =/ Not even elvish Ur-Sagol's near the Evernight Forest. Or any rumor of this legendary Northern Elvish City we always hear about. Oh and you should add a tid bit on how their neutrality nearly was the end of Negav me thinks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)
Page 1 of 1