Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)

Go down 
+4
ravaging vixen
Karbo
Darth_Nergal
Shady Knight
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Glad that we're on the same page and done talking about space people.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Glad you were able to comprehend that. ^_^
Back to top Go down
hhhat09
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
hhhat09

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 6:17 pm

BTW, I am genuinely sorry if I pushed a few buttons with those last posts.
I just lose my patience, occasionally. Have had a few shiny buttons installed lately. Too many people ignoring entire sentences or forgetting the definitions of certain words.

If you genuinely have an impairment regarding that, I'm sorry, if you do and tell me, I'll be much more patient in the future should an argument/debate spark.
If you didn't because you didn't feel like reading and skimmed it, well, read more and that'll be dandy for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Let's get back to elves, then.

I took a look at your article. It's quite complete, but there were a few things that made me think of some brain fodder.

First of all, Felarya doesn't make a huge deal about age anywhere, but you mention here that elves don't age, and that they take about twice as long as humans to mature. We don't know the maturation rates of any species; are you sure you wanted that in the article? Even further, watching wave after wave of friends die of age? That might happen outside Felarya, but inside, you will want to explain how do they feel about the immortality of lesser races instead.

Second, in their biology... are you sure you want them to have fragile bones? The D&D thing with elves having Con -2 wasn't because of brittle bones, it was because on average they just weren't as hardy as humans despite being outdoorsier. You could go for small-framed: instead of smaller bones, they would have a smaller everything, and just wouldn't be able to take as much punishment as humans can. Or maybe their metabolism is a little more hardcore in its sensitivity to environmental stressors, which makes it overreact to anything they aren't used to (and then overreact again once they're out of it, making them twice as miserable).

Third, in relations with other races. It's interesting that you point out how they perceive nekos/inus, and I understand why you don't mention other hybrids (they are a default PC race, so to speak, while dridders/harpies are not), but I think you could afford to slip in what they think about half-hybrids. You also make no mention of their feelings regarding vore, which is also what highlights nekos/nagas the most. Could it be they think it's something that happens to othe people? What about tomthumbs and neeras, anything they would like to say regarding them?

Fourth, do they have anything to say regarding their empire? Does it have any effect on their current society or worldview? Is it responsible for any of the traits other races abscribe to them? Do elves from different places feel differently regarding their ancient empire or are they overall united in their like/dislike for it?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 5:32 am

I probably should have mentioned that I am taking liberties when writing these revisions cause I can't really help myself.  Anyway, to answer your questions...

1. I'm pretty sure I never said that elves don't age at all and that how slowly they age seems to vary a lot, with aging only twice as fast as an example.  The aging thing is something I got from Karbo by asking him via PM.  It would have been a neat piece of information, but like basically everything else on the wiki, he never reveals such information for some reason.  Part of the reason I'm doing these revisions in the first place.  To be perfectly honest, I'm not big on the soil that makes people live way longer.  I get that the idea is that it hardly matters in the wild since something could pop out of nowhere and kill you in a moment's notice, but in safe places like Negav that has stood for over two centuries in its current form, we get problems like possible overpopulation with the older generation never dying, or a static population, which is boring.  In any case, and this probably is going to contradict my previous statement about keeping things focused on Felarya, for elves that don't live on Felarya, like you decide to bring an elf from Original, But Undeveloped Setting That Exists Solely For The Sake Of Bringing A Non-Native Character To Felarya #305, the fact that they probably live far longer than humans would be nice to know.  Otherwise, it's generally assumed that a humanoid's lifespan is about the same as ours.

2. Yes, the "elves being frail" does come from D&D.  I went with having a weaker and lighter skeleton for two reasons.  The first one, I find D&D's and other sources' wording too vague for my liking.  What exactly do they mean with "fragile features"?  How exactly is their form "frail"?  Why exactly are they "less hardy" than humans?  So I went with my own interpretation and gave them weaker bones so there would be a clear reason for once.  Plus, it makes sense that they would all main the bow or the spells that make the monsters fall down if they naturally can't take much punishment.  The second one, I noticed that in D&D that elves, despite being taller on average than humans, weigh about only half as much, which doesn't make any sense without some shenanigans, hence a lighter skeleton.  I prefer a lighter skeleton because it gives them a definite non-human feel in my opinion.

3. Again, if I don't mention it, that means I'm not too big on it.  Since Tinies have such a, well, tiny influence in Negav, I didn't feel like it was important to mention. But all things considered, I'd say at best they think Tinies are insignificant and ignore them completely, and at worst they consider them no different from rats or other vermins and treat them as such. When it comes to the other hybrids like dridders and harpies, I think it's quite obvious that elves hate them like everyone else.

4. I have no idea what they think of their old empire or if it had an effect on them.  I think that goes a little too much into Felarya's history, which I think is up to Karbo to answer that.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 6:06 am

I added your rewrite with some little tweaks here and there ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:00 pm

It looks good. I have no complaints.
Back to top Go down
nipa101
Naga food
nipa101

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 am

"The theory is that, because of their sensitivity to magic, some elves become infused with the magic of the soil and undergo a growth spurt that allows them to reach giant size"

If someone made a video of a elf undergoing a growth spurt... I would be speechless and then yell at the top of my lungs "I LOVVVVVVVVVE ITTTTTTTTTT!" please make a video of a elf undergoing a small to giant growth spurt!

"It's also assumed some giant elves are created by magical means, growing from a human-sized individual to a giant, through some rituals, such as the Tajyms Khajals"

although the fairy's treaty with the elves is no longer in effect I think the fairy's still like them... maybe they like some elven so much that they make them giants so they can be happy with the fairy's;)
Back to top Go down
http://tlank606@Gmail.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2014 8:10 am

That's not how fairy magic works, bub.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2016 12:08 am

Again rather impressed with the article. I like that you had a mix of Elf sterotypes and some things I hadn't seen before that made them more redeemed sounding than the typical "pointy eared, arrogant sons of Kenshas" you always hear people say. XD I in particular like how you balanced the 'super human stats' with less dense bone structure and slightly stubborn and unyielding trogolodytism. The one thing that always bugs me about Elves is we see no evidence of their once great empire. =/ Not even elvish Ur-Sagol's near the Evernight Forest. Or any rumor of this legendary Northern Elvish City we always hear about. Oh and you should add a tid bit on how their neutrality nearly was the end of Negav me thinks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)   Revised Elf Entry (Kind of) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revised Elf Entry (Kind of)
Page 1 of 1