Felarya forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:23 am

Obviously we're in a bit of a lull here. I havent been too active myself, but unfortunately that's been due to a lot of school/work/life issues. (trying to come back though, and be more active again).

I am concerned about it though, since some of the members left after our last big 'fight' on the forum...those people who were rightly banned from here, I suspect having been spreading their poison wherever they go. For example, I saw a picture on the giantessbooru website, and a conversation written in length, by someone I believe to be ZionAtriedes. I suspect one reason why there have been less people and less activity is partly due to those who have acted in that manner.

Of course I'm sure a lot of use are busy just like myself as well, and that could be a big factor. I'm also accutely aware there was some drama a few months ago as well? Off forum? Like I said, I've been rather out of touch, but after seeing those posts...well, I just don't want rcs, zion, and W3K to be going around spreading rumors about us just because they had temper tantrums and threatened people, then feel they were unjustly banned.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

I dont think discussing it here will help at all, because everyone who actually KNOWS what you are talking about will agree to you anyways and the others might not have a clue who you are referring to. ^^
If you want to polish up Felaryas reputation do it outside the forum, like on DA, youtube and stuff.

For me and my inactivity its just that I dont have anything new to add to felarya at the moment. I am working on the felarya video game but thats about it. Dont know what I should post about otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:53 pm

I know what you mean about the activity lull. It's been going on since about the beginning of September, maybe late August at the earliest (coincidence?)

As for myself, I'm not busy at all. I'm just addicted to HYRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULE WARRIORS!!!!! (and .hack//G.U..)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Yeah, I blame the school year starting. A lot of us (I think?) are enrolled in some kind of school, so all of a sudden everybody's too busy.
I myself have just been taking a lurker's role, checking the forum regularly but not bothering to drive any discussions. Sorry if that made things worse ^^;
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://helia.net63.net
Mr. I
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:19 am

I generally agree with everything here. I wasn't even aware of a 'fight' and that people were banned until just now. I had always thought it was time for a natural dip in activity since Fall had come about. Even Skype has been a bit inactive lately.

Hopefully the inactivity period will start to fade and people will start coming back and posting things again. We need to get these RP wheels churning again :3
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 am

Forum's activities had always gone up and down. People may be busy at school, at work or both. By judging Karbo's patreon is gonna reach a new milestone I have few worries about Felarya's future
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 am

Admittedly there was a huge fight a couple years ago, and I did mention two people who are no longer among us, and havent been since then...

Though, yes, I'm so much more busy now than ever I realize and don't really realize it at the same time. I have very little opportunity because I need to juggle work, school AND sleep. Its hard. Nyaha has been more active than I recently, so since its started around august/september, school enrollment sound highly likely.

Still, I would also like to try and figure out a way to campain for more members, if that's possible (I'm not saying we should start dressing up and going door to door with pamphlets xD)? I do know that there are people out there who've gotten butthurt in our community. On one aspect, letting them do that could just fade away and eventually disappear, but it could also let them continue to bring it up freely, with no counter say, or nothing to suggest otherwise that we're a lot of fun Razz (we totally are Very Happy ).

Maybe people who are native to patreon could be shown we have a forum? We could get some of them over here maybe.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Sigurd
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:53 am

Disinterest in the world and setting in general, like myself. It's why I don't even usually have the forum open. Personally, one thing you have underestimated is that when someone speaks ill of something, people tend to get curious and want to find out about the truth for themselves.

The effect is how I found several fandoms and webcomics, so Felarya's membership SHOULD be increasing as should activity, but, the opposite is happening. Something that I predicted years ago, I once said, "Felarya will fall someday." which back then was bitterness, but nothing lasts forever, everything comes to an end. Maybe it just so happens to be the Felarya community's time is coming to an end, maybe it's just a lull, only time will tell.

Also campaigning for more members around this forum, doesn't seem likely. Bael, vore isn't a large subculture, you have a finite number of people interested in it. In fact the VAST majority of people are uncomfortable with Vore as a fetish(Such as myself) and don't you bring up, "Well you play things like Final fantasy where a sandworm eats your party", when vore happens in video games that I play it's not played as fetishistic and most people play games where people and characters are eaten, but it's not fetishistic.

Also, I had originally returned to Felarya to rid myself of writer's block, but that didn't help at all, in fact it made my writer's block worse. Why? I like the death world aspect, I like it when the main characters have to deal with danger. I do not like it when people that are supposed to be sexy are eating people for the lols, especially when it makes no sense on a biological level. As I've said before, a giantess eating a human, would be like me eating an ant, full in protein, but I'm going to start starving. Only they have a HIGHER metabolism than I do. However, that's just my take and my reasoning for disliking and being disinterested in the world, the opinions of others will be different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:16 am

Personally I blame the gatekeeping and lack of "Touch" to the scene.

It is near to impossible for new people to add anything of value and usually everything has either been invented before or is being talked down. Seeing how much I had to struggle and even argue with the responsible people to get some of my stuff apprechiated which was even promised to be included in the end I dont blame anyone for being pissed off.

I also see the community itself at blame. We have some who are never here, especcially the creator is at a response here, but also the felarya community appears to be split into blocks about opinions instead of compromising its always the hardliners getting what they want, which is toxic for a community.

About your ideas bael: Well, do some promotion then, as for my part I already draw felarya art and mention it in the comments or I work on a felarya video game that should draw some attention to the community. If you want anything done, do it yourself.

And you, the reader reading this, you should do at least something yourself as well. ^^ Everyone would need to work on this. Together.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:39 am

Amaroq wrote:

But also the felarya community appears to be split into blocks about opinions instead of compromising its always the hardliners getting what they want, which is toxic for a community.

This has been a problem with me as well, Felarya as a community never seems to know what it actually wants to be. It kinda wants Felarya to be a "Silly fetish fantasy world with gaint naked women" and a "Dark fantasy death world that just happens to have man eating monsters in the form of attrative women."

And the worse thing is that the Hardliners want it to be both things at once, so trying to "Get it right." ends up with a contradiction of themes and motifs.

I keep hearing a call for "Better stories!" and "more depth!" and "more realism!" and I thought I was doing the right thing in trying to strive for it in my story 'She Who Dares Wins' but I've goten to the point where I've started to wonder if I've listened to the wrong people, people who wanted Felarya to be something that it wasn't, and unwittingly caused me to end up with a story that is techniqually good (if I dare say so myself) but isn't really in line with the tone Karbo intended his setting to have.

I mean I try to write nauced characters, some with tragic backgrounds, witty banter, hidden symbolism, well thought events and a more grounded sense of tone that a good story needs......and once after a while I stop writing to check the Felarya DA and get a jarring reminder that Felarya is actually surposed to be this...

http://felarya.com/wiki/images/thumb/a/a9/Photowiki.jpg/688px-Photowiki.jpg

A completely different setting that is nothing like what the "serious forum discussions" would have you believe.

Over the last few months or so I've been conflicted whenever or not just to write my story and characters off as 'An stand alone adaption of Felarya' or simply take my characters and story and make it into it's own thing completely in my own setting, because at times I feel like it is something else entirely, dispite faithfully following the Felarya wiki and forum posts to the letter as much as possible.

And that's the problem, there's alot of material in the wiki and forum that essentaly try to make Felarya deeper than it actually is...alot of it doesn't actually get used in any meaningful way, and if anyone like myself was to actually use any of it...they will end up with a narrative that is completely different. To me it seems the only way to actually make something truely worthy of Felarya is simply ignore the wiki and the community and just follow what you actually can see in Karbo's manga.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:44 pm

Well, see, I think that's the wonderful thing about Felarya: It's a setting where you can set any tone you want, create and use ideas you wouldn't find in many other settings, and generally exercise a multitude of creative freedoms you want without having to do it all by yourself, seeing as much of the world has already been built. In that sense, there's really no way to do Felarya right or wrong. I think everyone has their own view of Felarya, but I do think it is a problem when people starting thinking "this is how Felarya should be," which is something that maybe even Karbo is guilty of.

Darkone, I don't think you should let what other people think Felarya should be as a setting influence you to change your story. If nothing else, take the Felarya manga themselves as evidence: their tone gets pretty serious at certain points of the story, which makes your stories feel not-so off the mark, at least in my experience. That said, I think you have a unique take on Felarya and that in itself should be reason enough to keep going on the path you've planned out for your work.

In the end, I like to think Felarya is largely what we make of it, but we won't all be able to enjoy it if we, as a community, don't keep things like tolerance for different ideas in mind when we look at other people's work. By no means does that mean "anything goes", but is more of a middle ground between that and "it has to be this way" or "this is the tone Felarya should have".

I hope my post didn't make anyone roll their eyes. It might be a little corny. ^^; But I mean every word!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Chihiro Fujisaki
Temple scourge
Temple scourge

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:54 pm

My interest in roleplay is still alive, personally. But my interest in the world as a whole has faded. I no longer care about Felarya outside of it being a setting I can RP in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Well, truth be told, there are always many approaches to any kind of world or fandom. The author may use one, or give a certain view about it, but there will always be different views on it, and fan fiction will appear in numbers. Even in a dark, terrible background there are people who would manage to bring a smile, if just of sheer surrealism when compared to that world. I really love one comic, Freefall, for mixing pretty good humour and crazy situations with realistic space concepts and physics.

The thing is, one, and other people too, has to learn to differentiate the things that should be taken seriously from those that shouldn't. There's a difference between something that obviously doesn't belong but is used for laughs, and something that doesn't belong and the writer tries to laugh it off after using it for feats that wouldn't be possible or logical. For me, Felarya is a world that has the potential to house everything. There are adventures both outside and inside the cities, you can have terrible, dark settings, and sweet stories that could make you go "d'aaaww" taking place in houses next to each other. The good thing about it is that the world is open enough for that. One can explain things, breaking them down to the smallest laws of physics while other can leave things up to the reader's understanding, purposefully avoiding to explain them.

Of course, all things need a balance, and that's what we're here for. I have always been thinking, developing ways to explain everything. I'm such a person, you see; one who likes things stated, save for a slight touch of mystery, so people can take advantage of the loopholes to create surprising powers and trump cards. However, I have realized that it is sometimes counter-productive to place such restrictions upon the whole community, and decided to keep some of my theories to myself for my own use. It is my way of explaining things such as hybrid biology, people don't have to agree, but it would work that way in my material and not be disruptive with Felarya as a whole. My explanations aren't the only ones possible, but in the big picture they won't matter much anyway, it will be compatible with the common view of the world.

There are other matters, though, that are common interest. And those are precisely the ones we should discuss and agree upon. World appearance, distribution of species, important cities' placement and structure, time flow, technology distribution, magic distribution... Things that everyone needs to know in order to have the basics of the world set; a common frame. Little differences are not something that matters, it is the common ground what determines if your work is indeed Felarya or not.

So, Dark, what I'll say to you is, keep looking. If you feel uncomfortable with your style or your focus, maybe you should try and change your point of view, try other things. Since it's not like you're getting paid, then you should do something you feel at ease with, and not necessarily what people tell you to do.

P.S.: Please Amarok, Sigurd, let's keep things in course. I should also mention the Skype group is not really "official" and therefore has no moderation. That's why you should keep things separate and not bring matters from there to the forum, unless of course, you want to contribute and discuss something that was mentioned over there.

Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:47 pm

So I told karbo about the issue on the forum, let's see if he aims to make things better around here. ^^
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:07 am

Well there has been a lull, that much is clear but I can see things picking up again in the near future ^^

Me personally I'm going to be able to put more time on Felarya and be more active from now on.
The truth is this whole year has been an increasingly difficult struggle for me to manage to find the right balance between my professional life and the time I can give to Felarya :/ Moreso than any time before. It culminated between march and June, with all sort of financial problems and professional issues to deal with. The good news though is that things are progressively clearing up on that front and that make me look ahead with optimism Smile

As for the tone of the world... well that's always the eternal question. and like people pointed, I don't think there is a definite answer to it, nor "right" or "wrong" ways to depict Felarya.
I mean I can read a story showing Crisis'antics with Anna and giggle because of how fun and light-hearted it is and tell myself "yes that's Felarya".  And then read one about death,suffering, set in a disturbing and dark setting. While i might not enjoy that one as much personally,  I can tell myself  "well that's also Felarya".
Felarya is largely what we make of it I think.
In the end it's no longer a young universe and lot of things have been built already but it's not going to "fall" any time soon.
As for some few people bad-mouthing it..  Well it has always been the case in the past in some form or another. But then again it's the same for any internet communities out there. I see that as the proverbial half-full or half empty glass. Ok there are few loud people or trolls out there attacking it but well that's nothing new and this doesn't remotely compare with all the people who love and support it. And I find way more healthy and motivating to concentrate on the later ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am

Such a heavy tone in this thread. I agree that it would be great if more activity happened, and blame myself for also trying to set a tone. Naturally I believe that this tone is correct, as I think that this world should be 'realistic', thus there is joy and adventures, but also death and tragedy. The problem happens when the tone is unchanging and people assume that this defines Felarya. Life, and the world it is set in, changes. Tragedy should make the joy all the sweeter, and after dealing with death I like to see someone cracking a smile and carrying on.

Yet somehow, this world is happier then ours. There no wars here, and if people don't like it they can leave for another. Happy stories and vore can be a closer look at a certain moment of time, and should not be seen as conflicting with the death world Felarya is. Maybe that is the message that should be spread.

Let's all try to inspire each other to keep creating. Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:15 am

From what i understand, this lull is fairly normal but it could always be better. One really big case and point is looking at and recording a "sudden" surge of random users coming at a time. This last surge was "Most users ever online was 92 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:42 pm" I remember seeing some smaller than that last year but with a still surprising large number. Now don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to go up like that every year, but this is just to say that people are still looking at this community, and more specifically this forum than most realize.

A quite humorous thing that I observe that could bring more activity is getting the Deviant group also more involved here. You wouldn't know how many a time I come across people that Make a deviant art account, go on there, flesh out and idea,story, or drawing for felarya. Then I ask them "well did you know we forum where you can share these Ideas as well?" Most the time they say "No, I had no Idea" And then proceed on telling me that they'd like to view it, but DA is where they'll most likely st at since most of their friends are there. There's slight disconnect between the two as if they're forming their own entities. The thing is, is that both the forum and the DA group are performing similar results but, how to say, not in their most affective or intended areas. I'm pretty sure there are ways to have the community and the forum go hand in hand just from what i seen other communities do, I just don't have a solid idea on how to make that happen, and I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking about this to further fill in these bridges of Lulls and stagnation. That's probably for a topic of it's own, but it would help out with this recurring feeling.

"Making friends with giantess aliens isn't so bad..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Well, I didn't know about this! I'll be here for everyone if/when needed for anything! I'm not postitive all the time (like right now) But vore has cheered me up (Yeah im weird like that). I agree with Karbo, after some more art and the game in the works, we should get bigger. Just keep your heads up! (But not too high that a Harpy gets you).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:23 am

Now that Iīve finally found this I can say: Yes - there are always People who donīt like something - and a fewer ones tend to try crushing it by speaking ill of it. And then... a Guy like me comes along. I donīt care what they say - I havenīt got a Clue what their Problem is because now I can say You all are really great. Do we have any Problems? I think not.
And Iīm not thus special I think. There are many other Guyz like me around (and of Course Girls). You just need some Patience sometimes. If they all are welcomed the Way I was, I think there will be no Problem. I like it here - not only because of our special Interests, but because the People here are nice and admirable. And in my Opinion THIS makes a good Community - these People.
Whatīs a special Forum for me, if there are only Morons and Idiots around? So be a little proud and confident in what You all have created here. I like it here and I wonīt get away to go anywhere else...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:32 am

I do apologize for not actively participating more. Ever since I hit a gigantic snag in my stories, I just draw a blank anytime I come here. I don't know what new content to contribute, so I just stick around the Felarya chatroom (the one on IRC).

It sucks having writer's block.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jedi-explorer
Hero
Hero

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Actually you all should be thankful for no activity or lulls sometimes. On the Chara Project server, years before I joined, we had Troll Wars, Flaming left and right and member based schisms that still hurt some to this day. Whole sections locked down to horrid spammers and once when I was a young n00b we had a bot invasion that was like a seige. They'd pop up faster than we could delete them and FLOOD the site with porn,not even good porn, and other nasty things. @-@ Sometimes A lull is like a "time of peace" in a chronology before you set up your next story. It's a nice change from all the war and crisises that arise in the time before. Dull yes. But peaceful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:28 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
Actually you all should be thankful for no activity or lulls sometimes. On the Chara Project server, years before I joined, we had Troll Wars, Flaming left and right and member based schisms that still hurt some to this day. Whole sections locked down to horrid spammers and once when I was a young n00b we had a bot invasion that was like a seige. They'd pop up faster than we could delete them and FLOOD the site with porn,not even good porn, and other nasty things. @-@ Sometimes A lull is like a "time of peace" in a chronology before you set up your next story. It's a nice change from all the war and crisises that arise in the time before. Dull yes. But peaceful.

I agree. I may have not been around then, but a few other sites im on daily are Memecenter and EQD. And honestly, its hard to keep up sometimes. (Although I've been slowing down on EQD Due to lack of intrest and other things). But honestly, i like the speed, fast enough for activity, yet slow enough to keep up with and have a life outside the site. Although, perhaps a few more members would be a good thing (and by that I mean positive and active people). As stated above, i hope we can add people from the Felarya DA Group as well.

jedi-explorer wrote:
It's a nice change from all the war and crisises that arise in the time before. Dull yes. But peaceful.
Crisis was here? Did she eat anyone? Why did she leave? I always miss the good stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity   

Back to top Go down

Old Forum Members and Felarya's Lull in Activity
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1