Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Empty
PostSubject: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 6:08 am

How do fairies respond to sugar--asides from turning into hyper-active ping pong balls that move at near super-sonic speed but fortunately have the attention span of an ADHD squirrel on Red Bull?

I ask this because I wonder if settlers could buy "protection" from these being against other predators? At the very least, hanging these around your house as a sort of dream-catchers could alert you to them when you hear the sugar crystals tingle. Naturally, this ties into the crystal farm project I am working on.

Dryads might also be interested in glucose and fertilizers, though once settlers figure out that all of them are connected, they might wish to remove her.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 6:50 am

It won't work. Fairies might appreciate the trade, but Dryads ain't gonna bother. That piece of candy is microscopic compared to them, so they may as well just eat the guy.

I must ask a few questions. 1. where does that candy come from? There are no such factory or big industry, so it can't come from Felarya and it certainly doesn't grow on trees. 2. where do people buy it? Negav is pretty much the only place where you could find something like that since it's a self-sufficient city that, for all intents and purposes, is sectioned off from the wild, and thus don't have to worry about the giant killer bears out there. 3. let's say it works against fairies, what do you do if you don't run into a fairy, but instead into one of said giant killer bears? I don't see how you can bribe the savages beasts with candy, and a big ass caravan is not going to be stealthy if you think you can justify it with that.

Also, didn't you make a thread about UPPING the "challenge rating" of Felarya? i.e. make it MORE DANGEROUS? This thread seems to be the opposite, giving people an easy out against the predators instead of, you know, making the predators more dangerous.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 am

You kind of skimmed the answer to his base question of how fairies would react to being brought sugar. In my opinion, what's-his-face is correct in that it seems like an incredibly unlikely event, but that said, I really don't know how much you could 'buy' fairies' loyalties with it if you could get it to them. Like the wiki, and Shady's revision of the fairy article states, they hold friendship in high importance. So, bringing a fairy a haul of sugar might buy you her friendship in the short term, but if you don't treat her like a friend in return, it might not last too long. And even that's assuming that a) she actually likes sugar in the first place and b) she doesn't mind accepting presents from stangers, which any kid who's been taught about child predators will tell you is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 12:37 pm

@Shady_Knight: I like stories about everyday life in Felarya, so settlers for instance. They must have some means of protection but I don't want to just rip off Negav and Safe Haven. My colonists are geomancers and build by tending to growing crystals, like gardeners. With the right minerals they could grow sugar by the boulder.

Like the Jennamite from Avatar. You start with this:
Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Jennamite_rings

And end with this:
Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Jennamite

(Note: they wouldn't wear their sugar of course. This was a torture device...sort off.)

Now usually farmers survive either by being a race of super warriors, or by paying tithes to protectors. Growing diamonds would take way too long, but sugary delights or fertilizer might work. They could even help out a dryad by taking care of things she can't.

Heck, even jewelry could be provided.

@Nyaha: My settlers would try to form friendships or at least alliances, just like the people from Cioitai City. Link to Wiki
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:08 pm

You're already technically ripping off Negav, Safe Haven, and Chioita by having this easy means of protection. You know how elf villages and such survive? They keep their village hidden so the beasts don't find them. If you don't have the manpower, the convenient resource, or a really tall amazon, your best option to survive is to not be spotted.

The same applies to adventurers, their best bet at surviving is to not been seen, cause if they get caught, they're fucked.
Back to top Go down
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Unless fairies suddenly develop discipline then I doubt they would patrol the area. They don't have a sea full of mermaids protecting them, so Nagas and other predators could still get to them. The only creatures that would not eat them are the fairies, and while these may shrink intruders, these would pop back to full size soon enough, right? Isn't it hard to shrink giant creatures?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:16 pm

Why do they need such an easy protection? I mean that from a narrative's perspective, not from their perspective because they don't want to die. Why, for the sake of the story, do they need to have such an easy to use, easy relationship with a dangerous race of predators?
Back to top Go down
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Well, from their point of view, they start their settlement, find out Felarya is VERY dangerous, try to grow defenses, fight off enemies to the best of their abilities, and then find out some of these predators like to toy and talk with their food. It's only logical that at the very least they say just what it is they are doing here, right? Wouldn't lots of shiny rocks at least catch a fairies fancy? Especially when told that these are for eating?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:29 pm

That's not what I asked. I asked, from a narrative perspective, for the sake of writing a story, why must such an easy and efficient form of protection exists?

It seems to me these shiny rock are there as a form of plot armor. Would it not be more interesting if the settlers had no such easy protection and the story is about their attempt to survive in this hostile environment?

Furthermore, you said that you like everyday stories set in Felarya. In that case, why not write about people living in Negav? I have a few stories like that, a bit like a slice of life, and people seem to like them. Maybe you could give something like that a shot rather than tailor make your own safe haven for the sake of keeping your own characters alive.
Back to top Go down
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2014 1:39 pm

That is a good idea. To be honest, the only reason I wanted a defense is because otherwise this means that my settlers beat predators.

And I shall give your DA page a look then. Smile
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 4:28 am

I think this thread went into the wrong direction by assuming that sugar and other crops are grown to human standards. Sure, a dryad wouldnt care about a "normal" candy. But as it has been said before, there are not many human factories around (actually, there are some in Negav and especially Deluran territory) but you dont NEED a factory to make candy. A factory just automates the process. In fact, I can very well imagine, that, at least some group of settlers, would manage to live in fairy territory just fine, and be protected for the many things they can create.

Felarya is super sized, and thus are the crops, and fairies could easily enlarge seeds for plants, which, assuming proper crossbreeding of plant species, would be able to grow to giant sugarcanes and things that would allow for either mass prouction, or candy large enough to even gain the interest of Dryads and other creatures.
Human settlers have a great advantage over the common wild fairy in that they have the cultural knowledge to raise crops and produce goods that do not come naturally. Since fairies live moment by moment, they wouldnt know how to pass on recipes that easily, and as long as the humans are smart about their secrets, they dont have to fear to become expendable.

Seeing the lightheartedness often associated with Felarya, I can see how fairies would come to that village, begging for some candy, just like in the Manga, Crisis begged the band of musicians to play some more, in exchange for their life since it was so enjoyable. THe people would literally be the candymen, which is perfectly fine in Fairy terms. Of course there are still other threats and they would have to stay cautious, but also Dryads could profit from humans fertilizing the ground around them properly, or making sure the dryad looks good. Seeing how long Drads live, they might actually offer them to build treehouses, just for the sake of their own entertainment. Why not? Humans kept pets for the sake of lightheartedness and ease of mind, so why shouldnt other species, if they gain something nice from them?

We're not talking about Negav 2.0 here, we are talking about single small settlements and I think it is very likely and possible to find something like this in secluded areas, where the "circumstances" allow for a low variety of different preds with different needs.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 5:25 am

Something like a `Subculture´, a Symbiosis?

Like some Animals do?
Back to top Go down
Scryangi
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Scryangi

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Bandur Khan wrote:
Something like a `Subculture´, a Symbiosis?

Like some Animals do?

Yes. These people figure out that if they can get friendly with the locals, they can work something out. The fairies don't want their 'candy men' dying, so they shoo away all the preds that they see.

@Amaroq

'Candy men'.Laughing

Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 4:59 am

I don't think it's been established that crops, at least man-grown crops, reach super size.  Because how do you harvest a carrot that's bigger than you are, let alone a whole field of them?  Although I do like the idea of wild fruits and berries and such growing to gargantuan proportions compared to their Earth counterpart, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 5:54 am

just because it has not been said before, there is no rule preventing me from saying it now, especially since it makes sense. today humankind already has genetically altered crops, be it via crossbreeding or chemical treatment, so there is no reason why the same cant be done in a world where giant fruits and magic and other things like that already exist.

Reagrding the harvest... How do humans manifacture Trees or giant boulders? they use machines. Look at the anchient Rome, or egypt, or greece, heck even stonehenge managed to move giant and heavy stuff. You dont need cars and cranes and stuff like that.

And yes, one could harvest sugar like material from other sources as well, just like honey can be a sugar substitute as it is extremely sweet as well.

You shouldnt say no to everything that hasnt been said or done before (to your knowledge), or else there will never be any development in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Bandur Khan
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
Bandur Khan

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 7:41 am

By the Way; the oldest and successfullest Examples for manipulated Crops are Potatoes and Corn.

Each Sort has been evolved into hundreds of Varieties - and this has begun nearly 9000 Years ago.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 10:40 am

I wasn't saying I was opposed to the idea of crops being bigger in Felarya than on Earth, if anything it makes sense since the soil is magical and stuff and would no doubt promote growth. I also like the idea that fruits that grow in the wild would be gigantic. For example, for Crisis, an apple grown from a typical Felaryan tree would be apple-sized, but for a human, it would be stupidly massive. Where I'm slightly iffy at is that I think equally huge crops would end up being more trouble than it's worth than comparatively smaller, but still pretty big plants.

I think I'm going to open a thread about farm life in Felarya, particularly around Negav, cause I think there's a lot of stuff to be said there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.   Bribing fairies and dryads with candy. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bribing fairies and dryads with candy.
Page 1 of 1