Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm having serious site problems

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

I'm having serious site problems Empty
PostSubject: I'm having serious site problems   I'm having serious site problems Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi. As of a week or two ago, the site has been behaving weirdly. Nothing on my computer has changed (No software changes or anything like that). My Pc is also farely new and runs fine. However, i have to enter a message twice in order for it to go through. I had to re type my most recent entry "What Predator would you like to eat you?" Twice which was hard to type the second time around and caused me frustration. It said I timed out, however i was consistantly typing on it and did not even leave the tab. I use Chrome. If anyone is having a similar issue, or can offer a solution, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: I'm having serious site problems   I'm having serious site problems Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 2:09 am

Hm, I can't really address your concerns without knowing certain things about your browsing habits, and since I don't want to get into privacy territory, I'll just give you a general explanation.

Let's see, you say the web tells you you've timed out. That can happen when it has been a long time since you last had interaction with the forum. What does the forum understand as "interaction", though, is what makes people confused. In a forum or any web page, interaction means sending or requesting to receive information. For example, you click a link. That means you're sending the following request to the forum "I want to go here" and the web address. That is an interaction. Likewise, sending a post is an interaction as well, but the act of writing said post is not an interaction, it's done entirely on your side, and you are not sending any information or requests to the forum. That is the reason you can time out while typing.

Still, seeing your "What predator would you like to eat you?" post, it isn't that long, really. Unless you've been AFK for a while in the middle of writing it (or unless you're even more slow at writing than me, which would be surprising), you shouldn't have timed out. In any case, I recommend you do two things I always do before hitting the send button. The first one is selecting your whole post and copying it (Control+C). I always do it, experience has forced me to after losing quite a few walls of text. The second, which doesn't work in all forums, but I think it does here, is hitting the "Preview" button before sending the post. Why? Because it sends a request to the forum, making an interaction, and therefore refreshing your session in case you were about to time out. Even if you have timed out, this action lets you keep your post, unlike sending it, which sends the info and then discards your local copy.

If you're thinking computers are dumb and unintuitive after reading this, then you're probably right XD
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: I'm having serious site problems   I'm having serious site problems Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Ilceren wrote:
Hm, I can't really address your concerns without knowing certain things about your browsing habits, and since I don't want to get into privacy territory, I'll just give you a general explanation.

Let's see, you say the web tells you you've timed out. That can happen when it has been a long time since you last had interaction with the forum. What does the forum understand as "interaction", though, is what makes people confused. In a forum or any web page, interaction means sending or requesting to receive information. For example, you click a link. That means you're sending the following request to the forum "I want to go here" and the web address. That is an interaction. Likewise, sending a post is an interaction as well, but the act of writing said post is not an interaction, it's done entirely on your side, and you are not sending any information or requests to the forum. That is the reason you can time out while typing.

Still, seeing your "What predator would you like to eat you?" post, it isn't that long, really. Unless you've been AFK for a while in the middle of writing it (or unless you're even more slow at writing than me, which would be surprising), you shouldn't have timed out. In any case, I recommend you do two things I always do before hitting the send button. The first one is selecting your whole post and copying it (Control+C). I always do it, experience has forced me to after losing quite a few walls of text. The second, which doesn't work in all forums, but I think it does here, is hitting the "Preview" button before sending the post. Why? Because it sends a request to the forum, making an interaction, and therefore refreshing your session in case you were about to time out. Even if you have timed out, this action lets you keep your post, unlike sending it, which sends the info and then discards your local copy.

If you're thinking computers are dumb and unintuitive after reading this, then you're probably right XD

Thanks for that. I will copy my responses. My thread was longer than what ended up going through, but not by much. I got angry and just did the main points of my question and debate. Im still unsure why the site is being so strange though.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: I'm having serious site problems   I'm having serious site problems Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Maybe they've downgraded a bit the session length. I realize it might be useful to keep an eye on forumotion updates, so I'll check them tomorrow and tell you in case I have any news.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm having serious site problems   I'm having serious site problems Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm having serious site problems
Page 1 of 1