Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shall we partake to the fairy pond?

Go down 
+4
Ilceren
Jormungdang
Sprix
ravaging vixen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Empty
PostSubject: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 3:51 pm

In all seriousness though. A lot of things have been said about it. particularly in the chat recently. We were discussing general things like how long does it effect. Can it shrink giants as well, to what size? If we were to change properties, as if to make it frozen or make it boiling change the effects as well?. Now keep in mind, We've had a lot of changes in past few years since this thing was originally made. So thoughts like "Well does it affect elves or any human size creatures?" Or "Well what if a mischevious person or better yet Fairy, ends up packaging the stuff on the go for further hi-jinks?". The point is to elaborate what more we can do to enrich or refine this place of question so it seems a bit more..."Magical" So what's all your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sprix
Survivor
Survivor
Sprix

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 3:53 pm

First

Anywho, does fairy water have an opposite substance that grows stuff?
Back to top Go down
ravaging vixen
ravaging vixen

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 4:01 pm

As it saids in the wiki. Nothing of the sort, thought that doesn't mean you can't have artifacts or some way another to make a taboo to where that happens. It's Just the matter of the question of what makes that happen. Or rather, how far the creative-fictional rite in the persons mind is willing to go to make that taboo. All i should say is that it won't be simple level magic doing it, since size changing is supposabley not an easy spell or enchantment to learn.
Back to top Go down
Jormungdang
Great warrior
Great warrior
Jormungdang

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Screen11

And this is how the fairies overrun the rest of Felarya.
Back to top Go down
http://jormungdang.deviantart.com
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 4:31 pm

I don't really think it is the water that's enchanted, but the place itself. If it was the water, considering the Fairy Pond is just a body of water connected to a river, it would somehow spread or dissipate. It isn't really clear in the article if the waterfall is coming from the Jewel River into the Pond, or if it's the other way round. In any case, the water is not still or isolated, so the magical properties must be tied to the place, a spell of some sort over the area. Following that logic, taking the water away from the Pond would make it lose its properties, since it's no longer in the area.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 6:20 am

What makes me think is that it reads specifically nekos and humans. Does it mean it doesn't affect elves? What about mermaids and slug girls? Nagas?

Back when it was written, only nekos and humans came in human size. Maybe we can expand it to "anything human sized", except mermaids; it reads there that mermaids and dryads come to visit, so... maybe only creatures with legs (except fairies)? Alternatively, we can wipe the mermaids part.

Darth Nergal thought the idea of it affecting giants was hilarious. I ask, maybe it's limited by size too? Maybe it affects creatures around human size, but not much bigger? If it affected smaller creatures, I wonder what happens to tomthumbs in the water then. Do they vanish or something? Then again, if it's limited by size, giant mermaids can show up in the pond. (They probably shouldn't though) Were there human-sized mermaids back when it was written?

Does it keep its potency forever? Does it have some sort of limit? Does its lose its power when evaporated? When frozen? When dilluted with other water or alcohol? After X days outside the pond? When we put chlorine and heat it to a boil lol?

Is it a lasting effect? Does it last the same as with normal fairies, does it go for a fortnight, or does it last until dispelled somehow? If so, how do we dispel it?

What would be the minimal dose? Is a sprinkle enough? Do you need a specific volume? Ten mililitres? An ounce? Submerging yourself to the wrist? The same volume you'd occupy after it's done with you? A full glass? Does it keep working after it affects you, can you touch people when you're wet and shrink them too? Could a tiny drench herself and then glomp a neko in self-defense?

The weaponizing potential for water drawn from the pond (against humans and nekos at least) doesn't seem like a huge issue. Humans and nekos are already pretty vulnerable. If it affected giants, I'd start to worry. But if there was such a potential, I think it'd be employed mostly by tomthumbs, who'd need to get that water from either the fairies, or mermaids that swung by and somehow kept a jar from mixing with the water outside. Doubt mermaids could pull that one off, so it'd have to be fairies. They would get something out of this, something like freshly shrunken nekos and humans from every tiny community they had a deal with.

I think that's what we asked yesterday. See ya.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 9:18 am

While, as you say, the article was written a long time ago and things may have changed since then, it does mention the shrinking effect makes those who touch the water "shrink to a size of three inches", so I think that question about Tomthumbs disappearing is kinda out of place. I don't think it would shrink something that small already. By the same logic, if we put into consideration it's probably a kind of enchantment combined with Fairy size-shifting magic, it shouldn't shrink giant creatures.

As for some of the other questions, I already suggested something in my other post, be sure to check it when you have the time.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 10:01 am

I did check, Ilceren. I'm just asking so people are pondering what I'm pondering.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2015 11:55 am

I was under the impression that the effects of the pond itself worked like a typical fairy's shrinking spell with the same kind of limitations, except for casting time obviously. But, you guys are right, that article should be updated. I was gonna speculate that maybe fairy magic is particularly strong and concentrated in the area itself, as if it was a Ley Node, but the same doesn't happen in the Fairy Kingdom where you could argue fairy magic is even stronger there, so that explanation doesn't really hold water. There's also the fact that it's not a true pond if the map is any indication. It also doesn't help that not a whole lot has been done with it. For example, I think it's implied it's where Crisis grew up with Temi and the like, or at least close to it, and so that might be worth exploring.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Well the fairy pond has been one of the very first area created in Felarya and indeed it has seen little change since then. So it could clearly need some update, fleshing out or even base rewriting. I'm going to put that one on my list Smile

Like Ilceren pointed, I think rather than really the water, it's more the place itself that is enchanted. When I first created it I had in mind an effect affecting human-sized creatures alone.
So let's see.

Stabs wrote:

What would be the minimal dose? Is a sprinkle enough? Do you need a specific volume? Ten mililitres? An ounce? Submerging yourself to the wrist? The same volume you'd occupy after it's done with you? A full glass? Does it keep working after it affects you, can you touch people when you're wet and shrink them too? Could a tiny drench herself and then glomp a neko in self-defense?

The weaponizing potential for water drawn from the pond (against humans and nekos at least) doesn't seem like a huge issue. Humans and nekos are already pretty vulnerable. If it affected giants, I'd start to worry. But if there was such a potential, I think it'd be employed mostly by tomthumbs, who'd need to get that water from either the fairies, or mermaids that swung by and somehow kept a jar from mixing with the water outside. Doubt mermaids could pull that one off, so it'd have to be fairies. They would get something out of this, something like freshly shrunken nekos and humans from every tiny community they had a deal with.

I think that's what we asked yesterday. See ya.

A very small sprinkle would not be enough but a light splashing would do the trick.  Submerging yourself to any extent would immediately trigger the shrinking. The water would keep affecting you once you are shrunk. You would have to dry yourself up if you are drenched before you can grow back to your original size. And if a tiny is wet from it, a neko eating them would indeed shrink as well.

Weaponizing the water wouldn't work that well I think. Like said it's mostly the place that enchants the water. If you were to gather a bit of the pond water in a bottle, the water wouldn't retain the shrinking effects forever. After several days it would start to fade if it's transported away from the pond.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Like that annoying side-mission from Wind Waker! XD

Seriously, though, What about if one put it in a bottle of fairy glass? Would it's magic-retaining effects have the same affect on the water?
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 10:04 am

That's a good question XD
mhh I imagine it would prolong a lot the time for the effects to wear off, like several months instead of just days but eventually it would fade off.

Also I updated a bit the entry on the wiki using what was said on this thread Smile  http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tolmeshal_forest
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shall we partake to the fairy pond?   Shall we partake to the fairy pond? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shall we partake to the fairy pond?
Page 1 of 1