Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Xander of Skyeatu's Characters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Xander of Skyeatu
Tasty morsel
Xander of Skyeatu

Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Empty
PostSubject: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 pm

"X and the Arrdi" (Update Summary: Made less OP and more elusive.)
Xandalari Valudez, more commonly known as just "X", is a supposed human native to another dimension, containing a world he calls "Arridia". He commands a small force of Arrdi soldiers, originally a lot more, but due to casualties, around 150 now.

Valudez is a sarcastic know it all, a former space pirate who was thrown into the Arrdi armies.

Arrdi often are dangerous foes to encounter. This is due in part to a telekinetic rift that Arrdi experience, linking them to members of their country, or race, and advanced technology. This rift does not work in between dimensions, or from too far away. No matter how much you can cooperate, you can't avoid being smashed like a bug by a giant hungry monster without top-of-the-line tech, or diplomacy. (which Arrdi seem to lack the latter.)

The Arrdi are trying to avoid native creatures as much as possible, and not going in guns blazing has cost them many more casualties than they would like, but not many have noticed their sneaking around through the jungles. Cloaking device failures, noise muffler failures, and generally the noisy nature of unexperienced soldiers have cost them quite a bit. Most of the soldiers left alive are experienced ones, hardened by years of fighting against enemies in Arrdi home grounds.

"X" and his crew also seem to lack the ability to be affected fire, ice, shrinking and healing magic, which has lead some to believe that they are aliens of some kind. However, this also means they are not healed by the soil, or healing magic. Some theorize that the Arrdi are planning an invasion and that "X"'s forces are scout forces, but they are insane.

However, Arrdi also lack melee indurance, and the armor is mostly decorational when faced with a sword or claws. They have adopted a hit-and-run style tactic when they need to fight, to distract their target, while they sneak in heavier ordnance from behind...or above. This works due to the fact that their most of their vehicles work in a sense of "speed over armor" and "weapons over armor", so basically, if you put it into common terms, if you slash an Arrdi tank it falls apart, but if it shoots you you fall apart.

If you want a bit of OOC info, look at it in here.
Arrdi OOC Spoilers:

So there you have it.

Last edited by Xander of Skyeatu on Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mortis
Great warrior
Great warrior
Mortis

PostSubject: Re: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:35 pm

Sup. ^^ I'm going to offer my thoughts on this bio and list some key points that I am confused by or have a problem with. This is just my opinion of course. This is all assuming this is an RP character and not a story character. You can do whatever you want in a story but in an RP there are rules. Okay so here is the list:

>If he is from another dimension, how did he end up in our dimension? Crossing dimensional rifts is difficult and complicated beyond most mortal means so it would help to know how he achieved this.

>You say he has a 'Legion' which I assume is a number of other mercenaries at his command. This raises many questions. First of all how many soldiers and vehicles are we talking about? If there are enough to cause serious lasting damage to Felarya's environment and inhabitants then you are going to get stomped by the Guardians just like everyone else who brought an invasion force.

If the 'Legion' is smaller like the amount of soldiers and weapons you could expect to find on a single ship then that is more reasonable. But even though the Guardians wont stomp you, having that much at your disposal can be worrying in an RP. Outside of certain setpieces and special situations, you'll find that you wont be able to reasonably make use of your 'Legion' without being OP. If thats fine with you then thats okay, don't expect to be calling in troops all of the time.

It is reasonable however to start an RP with a group of characters and have control over all of them but you must remember that the more characters you have in the squad, the weaker each of them has to be to make it fair and that also it will get really complicated really fast. 'Conservation of Ninjustsu' definately applies here, meaning that if say 3 characters attack 1 character at the same time, that 1 character will be able to effectively defend themselves against the onslaught in order to make it fair. Basically, you can have underlings but don't expect them to overpower with numbers and brute force.

>I'm a little confused by your second paragraph. You mention that Arrdi have something similar to Telepathy, allowing them to communicate with or possibly summon or teleport to members of their race, certain locations and certain pieces of equipment. If there is long range teleporting involved it is definately an issue for the reasons described above, but telepathy is fine. Also you contradict yourself when you say that you need top of the line tech to avoid being smashed and that Arrdi lack this, but later you mention giant lasers. So which is it? Do they have advanced technology or not and if so, if it is too powerful (enough to cripple the world) the guardians are going to wipe the floor with you.

>A big, BIG issue is that you say the Arrdi are immune to magic. To be immune to a form of magic is not unreasonable with the right reasons, but to be immune to ALL forms of magic is ludicrous. Even the Guardians, who are practically gods, aren't invulnerable to ALL magic. You can threaten even a true god with the right ritual or spell and enough power. So I ask that if the Arrdi are immune to magic, what forms of magic are they specifically immune to and why? Its not enough to just say that they are immune, especially not if they are immune to all forms of magic.

>The Arrdi are maybe planning an invasion you say? More powerful beings have tried and all have been crushed by the Guardians.

>You mention they are weak to melee and they seem to have strong ranged power. Sounds like the Tau to me. Anyway predators, even giant ones can move a hell of a lot faster than you'd think and it is literally impossible to outrun them on foot so unless you are teleporting like you mentioned earlier or have some other means of a speed boost, you aren't going to be able to do hit and run very effectively.

Okay so basically you have a lot of questions to answer and explaining to do to make this all seem more reasonable and fair to other roleplayers. Most of what you said can work if you explain it properly and make it balanced but I can say with absolute certainty that complete immunity to magic for no apparent reason is absolutely not going to make the cut. Remove that part entirely or tone it down and explain why they are immune to some kinds of magic. 'Because they just are' isn't enough.

Sorry if that seemed harsh but I'm just trying to help you fit in around here and make your character more acceptable. I wouldn't want to roleplay with your character as it is now and I'm sure many others wouldn't either. But that can be changed so don't worry and don't be discouraged. ^^
Back to top Go down
Xander of Skyeatu
Tasty morsel
Xander of Skyeatu

PostSubject: Re: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 6:18 am

Hmm, you offer great insight to this. I'll change it around and make sure the loopholes are gone. And magical immunity will be lessened to most fire and ice spells, and shrinking magic.
Back to top Go down
Xander of Skyeatu
Tasty morsel
Xander of Skyeatu

PostSubject: Re: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:40 am

And done, now the Arrdi have no more confusionaladaiodjadiahdadjdioajdoiafz

And now it's time for a dimensional mechanic that I think should really exist.
Dimensional Phasing
Dimensional Phasing is a strange and misunderstood concept. Most say it is when a person from another dimension falls into another, but this is false. This is when two dimensions combine slowly. For example, you could be standing in your house, and suddenly be phased into a military complex, and back again, until eventually, you are in your house which is in a military complex. Basically. It can bring parts of one world to another, not just combining them. An example of this would be the fact that Chimeratite is not native to Felarya, it is from Arridia. The two scraped together and some aspects of Arridia's dimension were brought to Felarya. This also brought Felarya into the Arrdi's intrest, but that's a story for another time.

Dimensional Phasing can bring catastrophic events to different dimensions. For example, a dimension could become severely unstable, and collapse in on itself. Or, problems from one dimension, can be brought to the other. For example, if your dimension is filled to the brim with hamsters, and they are filling up all of space, and you phase into another dimension, the hamsters suddenly have caused problems for both dimensions, now under a single name.
Back to top Go down
Mortis
Great warrior
Great warrior
Mortis

PostSubject: Re: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 pm

First of all, I have to commend you for your effort. I admire the fact that you can take criticism and write a lot in order to improve. Its a really nice quality so bravo for that. ^^

I do have some things to say about it of course. Some are new things and some are things that I think need a little more explanation. Everything is just my opinion of course and there is no reason to actually answer my questions or listen to my advice if you don't want to.

Okay so here we go:

>Why are they immune to fire, ice and shrinking? Three suggestions I can think of as to why this is so: They are androids/cyborgs OR Their unique biology repels magic OR They have implants that repel magic.

>I assume the Arrdi vehicles and equipment have no special resistance to magic. If so then the vehicles and weapons and armor would be weak to magic, especially something incredibly devastating. If you are immune to shrinking but your armor is not, then a smart fairy could shrink your armor and crush you in the most horrific way. Same with the vehicles, shrink them and crush the crew, disabling the vehicle. This is an issue you might want to consider as, contrary to what you say, fairies would be extremely deadly to Arrdi.

>If they are only semi-sentient they would reasonably be immune to psionic attacks like mind blasts and mind control because they have very little conciousness to control, might want to make note of that.

>Its obvious that the implants are controlling lower ranking soldiers but in what way? Are they implants linked to a computer that directs them? Or are they biological implants that allow them to be controlled telepathically in the style of a hive mind?

>What happens if you remove these implants? Are they being controlled against their will or are they voluntarily being controlled?

>Two vehicles for each? That would mean 300 vehicles which is a very high number. 300 vehicles for 150 soldiers is way too many. You would struggle to maintain that many vehicles with such a limited force.

>You said the vehicles don't have wheels. Does this mean they are hover vehicles?

>Soldiers have plasma shields but the vehicles dont? I find that odd.

>How durable are the plasma shields? Deploying and maintaining a shield like that would require a powerful power source and absorbing impacts would also consume energy. A shield of that nature carried by a footsoldier wouldn't be able to take much punishment before running out energy, probably only a few bullets so you should know that.

>Be careful with nanobots. People generally don't like nanobots because they tend to be able to do almost anything.

>You mention that the Arrdi have ground bases. You should know that trying to set up and maintain a permanant ground base is incredibly difficult and the jungle would be attacking the base constantly and the Arrdi casualties would eventually add up until they were all dead. Plus if storm sprites come to attack the base you are royally screwed.

And there you have it. The core problem you have is this:
Imagine that you are in a roleplay and you are fighting another roleplayer. Most people only RP one character at a time and unless they have a massive amount of power they wont stand a chance against an army of aliens with plasma weapons and hover tanks. Even a master swordsman would be disintegrated before he could even get close to a squad of Arrdi. A mage, even a mage of great power, wouldn't be able to take on a squad either.

It doesn't matter if its not realistic, it has to be fair. An opponent should always have a way to beat you in a straight up fight unless its part of the RP's narrative. That doesn't mean you have to be weak, it just means that you balance your power with weakness. So far your one and only weakness is melee and opponents are going to struggle to hit you in melee because you are so fast and the fight will be over in seconds because plasma weapons are so powerful.

Do you understand what I mean? ^^' Keep it fair, keep it balanced. Put yourself in someone elses shoes and imagine you are fighting Arrdi. How are you going to beat this Arrdi marine standing in front of you? Shoot him? His shield absorbs the round and he shoots you back and you're dead. Use magic? Since they are immune to most forms of elemental magic, only very specific and rare forms of magic will be able to harm them and chances are you don't know any super rare magic. So you're dead. Hit him with a sword? You run towards him and he shoots you and you're dead OR his lightweight armor allows him to avoid your attack, he shoots you and you're dead OR you hit him and kill him, and then another Arrdi shoots you and you're dead. If you are fighting an Arrdi vechicle then the difficulty is increased several times over.

Basically there are very few ways to defeat even a single Arrdi marine and the fact they are an army and fight in teams make it even harder to the point of being almost impossible to win. The average adventurer would have no chance and even a great hero would lose easily. Only a character with ludicrous power or one with rare abilities would stand a chance.

You don't have to change any of this if you don't want to but theres a reason most characters use swords or magic and thats because they can do different amounts of damage in order to be fair. The amount of damage magic and swords do varies and the opponent can decide how much damage they want to take to an extent. But being hit with a plasma blast always does the same amount of damage. It disintegrates you unless you have something to defend against it and most adventurers are not carrying plasma shields and advanced armor so they are screwed.

This character, or should I say characters, can work in an RP. Its true that they can work but it would have to be an RP on a massive scale where your opponents are definately powerful enough to stand a chance. In the average RP this definately wont work. In my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2015 5:16 am

Xander of Skyeatu wrote:
you can't avoid being smashed like a bug by a giant hungry monster without top-of-the-line tech, or diplomacy. (which Arrdi seem to lack the former.)
From your own words in your spoiler, you're really saying they lack the latter, not the former.

Xander of Skyeatu wrote:
Slug Girls, and Naga, however are comparatively defenseless targets, due to their slowness. Especially Naga, who can't defend themselves against a giant laser heading towards their face, unlike Slug Girls, who have some semblance of defense.
You're vastly underestimating Nagas, you know. Nagas, like snakes, are fast and agile, some are even able to jump very long distances, and their snake bodies enable them to make feats of contortionism only matched by squids in real life. They have a lot to teach you about dodging.

Xander of Skyeatu wrote:
He chooses these targets due to the fact that Arrdi tanks are not similar to normal tanks, in the sense that most don't have wheels, they are just focused on moving as fast as possible while firing lasers.
Remember this is a jungle. The path for a big vehicle is often filled with all sorts of obstacles, from those that just impede vision since you could run through them easy, to those that block your path plain and square. Keep that in mind before you say a tank (even a hover tank) can outmanoeuvre a land predator.

Okay, besides that, I don't really think this is an overly good idea. First of all, keep in mind that all the extra-dimensional, high-tech races that have come to Felarya are the ones being hunted, and not the other way round. They might have high-tech, yes, but they have always encountered some kind of problem that has prevented them from expanding, or which is actually pushing them back. Even assuming they don't have material problems like the... Miratans, I think it was (their metal alloy would rust very fast in Felarya), there's always some big menace for tech-users.

Firstly, you seem to be focusing on sapient predators; Nagas, Harpies, Fairies... When those are really the least of your problems. You can sneak on giants decently, but there are other creatures that can pretty well sneak on you without noticing, be it the extensive Fauna, or the deadly Flora. Most of them are very hard to detect, so don't go thinking that the detector drone thingy will prevent any casualties, because they won't.

Secondly, you're thinking they could pretty much go around killing anything because they hit and run. Remember, it's a jungle. Even if you can run fairly well, with all the equipment, your troops are catching the attention of everything around whenever they fire their weapons. The weapons themselves might even be silent, but the cries of pain of the target are not. It's like firing up a flare every one in a while "Hey! There's food over here!". They might not get there in time for the first two or three flares, but they will certainly be waiting for the fourth.

Thirdly, you are assuming no-one and nothing will notice their activities. Going around killing things isn't exactly discrete, and while some of the sapient predators are solitary, the majority would most likely gather together once they notice something's going on. A Naga that manages to escape might gather his or her friends and go back, a Fairy that finds another Fairy friend's corpse might call for revenge. Remember that there WILL be people that can defend against their attacks, people that WILL find the Arrdi first, instead of they finding him, and some will EVEN detect their peculiar form of communication, probably not outright hearing what they say, but feeling it happening. Don't underestimate the diversity and power of each individual.

So, here's a tip: You can create as many invasion forces and means as you like, but never actually make it look as if they are wining. Felarya is a death world, not a battle zone. If you want to turn it into the latter, people will dislike and oppose your ideas, because you're changing the essence of the world. So please keep things dangerous and vore-y.
Back to top Go down
Xander of Skyeatu
Tasty morsel
Xander of Skyeatu

PostSubject: Interesting points.   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2015 6:49 am

I once again find myself enjoying how intellectually pleasing this is going. You two brought up some really good points.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xander of Skyeatu's Characters   Xander of Skyeatu's Characters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1