Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Syronael, the Mer

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Syronael
Tasty morsel
Syronael

Syronael, the Mer Empty
PostSubject: Syronael, the Mer   Syronael, the Mer Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 5:56 am

Okay! Well, as suggested I figured I'd post some of Syro's description and traits here for anyone that may be interested in reading. So, I hope you enjoy! Very Happy

p.s. Constructive criticism is welcome, I am relatively new to character creating in Felarya so any advice or suggestions will certainly be heard! Thanks~

Syronael, the Mer 8kPiQml

Revised 8/30/2015 based on feedback! Thank you! <3

Name: Syronael (Syro for short, if you please!)
Species: Mer
Sex: Male
Length: About 6'3" (About 1.9 meters) from waist to head, and about 18'9"ft (About 5.7 meters) from waist to tailtip. Total: 25 ft even (7.62 meters), his body and tail are about 3.5 times the width/thickness of a human.
Skin Color: Dark grey, with a lighter toned underbelly
Fin Color: Teal; glows brightly in the dark (as does his insides)
Eye Color: Pale teal

Appearance:
With dark grey (nearly black) skin covering his entire body from head to tail, Syronael swims in at a length of 25 ft long; a third of which consists entirely of a slender, muscly, tail adorned with teal-green fins. His underbelly is a lighter shade of grey, blending in seemlessly from the darker shade that covers his backside. This two-toned color serves as a sort of camouflage for the mer, since looking down onto his back from the ocean's surface would only lend him the ability to blend in with the watery depths below. Likewise, looking up at his belly from the ocean's depths would allow him to blend in with the lighter color of the water. The murky color of his fins serve much of the same purpose - blending in with the surrounding water, serving as a natural camouflage.

Though, in the dark reaches of the water, his fins do the polar opposite. Instead, they glow fluorescent light that sometimes attracts smaller prey and wildlife even if just out of curiosity. Even still, this incredibly alluring feature does have the occasional tendency to attract predators, as well.. He can control it, at least to an extent, and will go as dark as he can to avoid capture if at all possibile - this does not completely deaden the effect, however, and some small trace of light can always be seen even if one is close enough. Like his fins, though, his bioluminescence also affects his insides.

Syro's humanoid half is lithe and agile-looking, lacking strength but for what he lacks there, he makes up in dexterity beneath the waves. He lacks any defining facial characteristics save for the pale-teal glow of his eyes, matching his fins and insides. His gills are capable of breathing both air and water, but needless to say if this fish were to be taken out of water, it's a hapless situation for him and he's nearly completely defensless.

His fingers are slender and webbed, assisting him in swimming at impressive speeds and even more so at grabbing a handful of prey without fear of them slipping through the cracks in his hands. His high speed capabilities can propel him out of the water a fair bit, an offensive tactic he uses to get low flying prey or the occasional sailor leaning over the edge of railing if he's lucky~ This is quite risky, though, as if he failed and was captured.. he'd have barely any means of escape. He's predatory, though constantly cautious of what else lurks within his ocean home.. He's not the biggest thing in the ocean, far from it, and he's well aware of this fact.

Personality/History:
Syro's personality is a stark contrast to how he would appear at first glance. His black skin and, by some accounts, devilishly green colored fins matched with the eerie glow of his mouth and tongue really doesn't at all depict who he truly is. Syronael is very curious by nature, and for the most part, friendly and optimistic. Those of whom find themselves being hunted by him may have another tale to tell, however.. he loves to play games with those unfortunate enough to considered "prey".

Despite his preference of companionship and eagerness to keep company, Syro has spent much of his life alone in the ocean. He will often jump at the chance to be social and talk with others! In particularl, he finds the dryads most intriguing, though he has only heard of them from secondhand accounts. He's fairly respectful and open minded in the vast majority of situations, though he does tend to get a bit arrogant and cocky when hunting, sometimes throwing caution to the wind when his confidence gets the best of him.

He enjoys the strange things of the land; flowers, creatures he finds odd or quirky, and various other things that he has very little experience with. He's traveled the oceans by and far, opting to live nomadically for the majority of his life, but he's mainly stayed in the ocean away from land. He has ventured to the shores beaches occasionally, but he's never traveled farther inland via rivers or other bodies of water - even ones big enough for him to swim in. This isn't to say he doesn't want to, but even the curiosity in him is a little put off delving into unknown areas alone.

Syro is, as mentioned, nomadic. He has no home and often just moves from place to place after a while. He's never made any solid acquaintences, save for the occasional passersby and conversations he and others who happened to be traveling the same direction have had, and this loneliness sometimes troubles him.

When asked why he roamed so much, Syro always retorted by saying that he wasn't quite sure where he was supposed to be. He has no family left to speak of, and since as far back as he can remember, the young male doesn't remember ever having a home. He scarecely recalls his mother teaching him to hunt, but he's no idea what became of her or whether or not he has any other family. Part of his roaming was in hopes that perhaps he'd find a family of his own someday, or even just steady friendship among a community, but none of either such thing has came to pass.
He's traveled throughout the ocean for as long as he can remember, from the depths to the very surface. This lonely lifestyle is something that constantly takes a toll on the sociable fellow, and perhaps some day, he'll change.

His early life was speant primarily in the shallow reefs, at least until he was large enough to hold his own in the deeper parts of the water. Seeking fish and other animals as prey, he learned the basics of hunting from his mother - the only member of his family that he has any recollection of. He's come to believe that she was the only one, but some tragic fate has become of her. He can't recall at exactly what age he remembers her last, but by the time he was old enough and large enough to travel deeper, she had long since been absent.

He discovered quickly the way of the world, and it was the way of the world that led him to believe that his mother fell victim to it. Part of him still hopes that perhaps she's still out there somewhere, along with what may be the rest of his family that had just drifted apart some how, but the truth of the matter is.. he doesn't have the slightest idea.

It's for these reasons that Syro seeks out company in most cases, even if met with none he still seeks it. He's even tried to talk to the humans he captures, but they just jarble something unintelligible beneath the water, which usually frustrates him a little. The few that he has taken to the surface to commune with have simply screamed and been far less than conversationalists, so he just ate them and gave up on the concept all together.

Hunting Habits:
Syronael is quite a bit larger than the average human, with his more humanoid half clocking in at about the same size as one, though over twice as wide. His exceptional size compared to those that are human-sized makes them a particularly filling meal for the mer. Syro can swallow up to 2 humans or human-sized prey and fill full, but up to a maximum of 5. Swallowing 5 human-sized prey would absolutely gorge him, and leave him nearly completely incapacitated - even in the water.

He loves the thrill of the hunt! There is nothing that quite satisfies him more than an exciting hunt, particularly when in the pursuit of sailors. It's a bit of a game to him, though - he'll often toy with the sailor's ships and he considers getting them overboard to be his way of "scoring" in the game. Once taken overboard, he'll swim to the depths and devour them whole before making his return for another, until he's had his fill.

There are times when he must hunt smaller sea-dwelling creatures to sate his appetite, though he largely detests it. He had grown far too fond of the squirming, wriggling, morsels atop ships and in the waters to have to settle for a simple fish or some such other animal.

His abilities to hunt are as follows, though none are magical:

-Alluring glow, can attract the curiosity of smaller prey
-Fast speeds underwater
-He can leap from the surface of the water after gaining velocity to snatch airborn targets (this is risky, as if missed or caught, he's nigh defenseless out of the water)
-Webbed fingers allow for a better hold on smaller prey
-His tail is his strongest asset as it's quite strong - it's often used to attack ships

Last edited by Syronael on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:39 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Spellcheck* Revision-8/30/2015*)
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Syronael, the Mer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syronael, the Mer   Syronael, the Mer Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Wow! Firstly congrats on using a male pred! Shows what I've been trying to tell everyone: Felarya is slowly getting to be male pred friendlier than in the past . Now on to the character himself: Excellent. I like how balanced he is without using weapons or magic! O.O Very tricky to do! His biolumenience is also a nice touch and I now understand the name. Syronael= Lean Siren. XD A make siren? How unqiue! His food category is an interesting choice. He attacks sailors eh? Either though "Speed Tackle" or "Alluring Light"? Is that both genders? o.O Is this some form of innate magic that is related to Vivian's "Fascination Magic"? Either way interesting character! I'd love to interact with him sometime.
Back to top Go down
Syronael
Tasty morsel
Syronael

Syronael, the Mer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syronael, the Mer   Syronael, the Mer Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 6:28 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
Wow! Firstly congrats on using a male pred! Shows what I've been trying to tell everyone: Felarya is slowly getting to be male pred friendlier than in the past . Now on to the character himself: Excellent. I like how balanced he is without using weapons or magic! O.O Very tricky to do! His biolumenience is also a nice touch and I now understand the name. Syronael= Lean Siren. XD A make siren? How unqiue! His food category is an interesting choice. He attacks sailors eh? Either though "Speed Tackle" or "Alluring Light"? Is that both genders? o.O Is this some form of innate magic that is related to Vivian's "Fascination Magic"?  Either way interesting character! I'd love to interact with him sometime.

Thank you very much for reading, and thank you again for the compliments! I would suggest (if you're interested, that is!) re-reading as I've been accumulating feedback for the past few days now, and have made revisions/improvements on his character!

Though, to answer your questions:

1. He attacks sailors eh? Either though "Speed Tackle" or "Alluring Light"? Is that both genders?
A. He does indeed attack sailors! Though, this is primarily just because that's all he has been exposed to. He's never explored any rivers or bodies of water that's big enough to house him and take him farther inland. I wanted to leave that open as a potential for a story or roleplay later on, and I think it'd be fun. ^^

His speed beneath the water is by far his strongest capability. He's very fast, but he lacks physical strength anywhere else - save for his tail - so he will use that speed to propel himself out of water a good distance in order to grab unsuspecting prey. The light is more or less bait. That's about it - no magical qualities at all. It works on the premise that if something sees a glowy light, they might be inclined to get closer to check it out. He doesn't necessarily need them to swim right up to him, just get close enough that he can dart after them.

As for the genders.. umm, well.. I don't know! xD I know that's a poor answer, but I truly have no idea. I would go as far as yes, because I prefer equality in all things, but as far as a species or subspecies I haven't the slightest idea what Syronael is. This was, if nothing else, a shot in the dark at a character that would be interesting to have in Felarya. His actual race or species, if one similar to what he looks like/is like exists on Felarya, is completely unknown to me. It's been pointed out that he could be one of any number of subspecies since there's not a lot of detail on them, and there's a lot of them, but I don't know enough to intelligently discuss that possibility.

2. Is this some form of innate magic that is related to Vivian's "Fascination Magic"?
A. Syronael is an entirely natural being. He sports no magic capabilities at all. His bio-luminescent qualities are purely biological and was inspired by inhabitants of the real-world deep ocean. There's a great number of predatory fish that use the glowing lights as a way to attract prey, since there are small fish that glow in the murky depths and bigger fish use their innate glow as a guiding light to catch them - said predatory fish will imitate that glow in order to lure in the fish that would prey on the glowing fish. That's the concept I had, based purely on "Hey, what's that?" ^^

3. I'd love to interact with him sometime. (( This isn't really a question but I'll answer it all the same! x3 ))
A. I'd be happy to! I'm getting the feel down for the site and all that - lotta friendly folks here! I'd be happy to play sometime now that I've gotten myself a bit more familiarized with it all. Very Happy

Thanks again for reading!
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Syronael, the Mer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syronael, the Mer   Syronael, the Mer Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2015 6:17 pm

Interesting! So no magically he's got nhil and his light is totally biologic? geek Gnarly! Double points for such a bold move! Seems like a solid character and a enigmatic backstory even he doesn't know the answers to makes him a great main character.

Syronael wrote:
I'd love to interact with him sometime. (( This isn't really a question but I'll answer it all the same! x3 ))
A. I'd be happy to! I'm getting the feel down for the site and all that - lotta friendly folks here! I'd be happy to play sometime now that I've gotten myself a bit more familiarized with it all. Very Happy

XD Awesome! Should I PM you my Skype? As for familiazation I wouldn't worry too much. I make a good guide to the canon and where it falls short? I add to it with my own brand of zanny mad capped misadventure. XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Syronael, the Mer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Syronael, the Mer   Syronael, the Mer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Syronael, the Mer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Character discussion-
Jump to: