Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?

Go down 
+12
Karbo
DarkOne
Stabs
Scryangi
Gamma
jedi-explorer
Nyaha
hhhat09
Lockheed X-17
ravaging vixen
dragon808tr
Archmage_Bael
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Gamma wrote:
dragon808tr wrote:
Wait, dont most predators see humanoids as simple prey and nothing else? Some preds who have human friends know that they are more than that, but still eat humans. So, wouldn't those predators go to hell for belly genocide?

Basically, would all of the Felarya preds go to hell?
It makes sense that that would be the destination of anyone who torments and kills other sentient beings for their own pleasure, yes.  Predators wouldn't be treated all that differently from any other sentient in that respect.  And I expect all predators, to some degree, recognize their prey as sentient, though even that doesn't matter too much; wouldn't we call someone who tortures animals for their own pleasure evil?

Yes. Like those people who torture cats and dogs... Just thinking about it is horrific.

But then, what about the IRL butchers and cattle farmers? You know, those that take their livestock to the slaughterhouse to be butchered?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 3:57 pm

I dont think sentience should have anything to do with going to heaven or hell at all. So what, they're intelligent, why should that mean anything? We're all still animals anyway. The only difference is instead of using claws and natural armor as self defense, we use our intelligence as self defense. There should be no connotative association there in my opinion.

Part of the reason why I think we should have an overall system that judges, and avoid using examples. Though there should still be exceptions for things that happen when you go to heaven or hell.

As I said in the beginning, in the mangas and pictures a lot of Karbo's inhabitants of hell dont look like they belong there at all.

Unless we take a greek polytheistic approach where normal people go to hell no matter what and you have to do something really amazing to get the priviledge of going to heaven.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Just want to drop my two cents to bring some food for though, also because I am bored.

Is a soldier automatically considered evil because he killed other human beings despite being trust in a life or death situation?

In that same vein, is a sapient monster considered evil because she ate another sapient creature in spite of the fact that she must eat to survive?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 4:31 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
Is a soldier automatically considered evil because he killed other human beings despite being trust in a life or death situation?

In that same vein, is a sapient monster considered evil because she ate another sapient creature in spite of the fact that she must eat to survive?
The quick answer to both is no, but there's a whole lot of "ifs" attached. I'd say soldiers killing other soldiers during wartime while following something similar to the Geneva Convention isn't that evil, since both sides are fighting for the benefit of their communities, and they're fighting and killing other soldiers who are also willing to risk their lives to do so. However, as soon as they start knowingly killing civilians, torturing prisoners, or harming surrendering enemies, then yes, it becomes evil. The predator is in somewhat of a similar situation; killing prey for food isn't, in and of itself, evil, though torturing that food beforehand is, as well as preferring intelligent prey for their reactions to being attacked and eaten.

...Perhaps the elephant in the room here is that we're trying to establish an objective morality that simply doesn't exist in the real world, and we're all, to one degree or another, basing it on moralities that have proven effectiveness. The fact is that we're not going to be able to agree on specifics, and probably not even on general principles; a lot of feelings about modern morality is based strongly on faith and religion, which is obviously a giant can o' worms. Anyone have any ideas for how to make this work without really dealing with morality?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:11 pm

There's a way I'd been considering.

Rather than morality being an objective measure of... let's call it, afterlifeness, let's say morality is one thing, but what determines your afterlife is afterlifeness. And afterlifeness says you end up in the place most like you. Which means, the place where the people who are like you also ended up in the past. So rather than being based on morality, afterlifeness is based on precedent and morality has nothing to do with it. You end up in a place- the place ends up being more like heaven or more like hell depending on what's in there.

You either find a divinity to consecrate your soul to, or the psychopomp finding you finds a place where your soul can be entrusted to. And if this means immoral people can add insult to injury by going to heaven anyway... well, I figure, why not? Actually, how about this? I think it'd work for Karbo too.

Let's say I believe in massacrating people for being... ugly. And I spend my life massacrating people for being too ugly. Then I die. I'll go somewhere people believe in massacrating people for being ugly.

Stabs died and wrote wrote:
It should be heaven, they agree with me! Only they think I'm ugly! The place is full of people massacrating each other for being ugly! And now we're all ugly because there's always someone who thinks the other guy is ugly! We've gotta band together against ugly! This is not a fight of ugly vs ugly, it's a fight of pretty vs ugly, and pretty will prevail! I must win for great justice!

But still, it's not very heavenly, wouldn't you agree? Why is heaven full of ugly people!? I gotta massacre them all now! Even in death, there's still ugly! ...maybe the ugly is in my soul? No way... I shall fight to rid heaven of all these ugly people!

I think we could do a small modification on Karbo's version. If death won't strip away their lies, the situation could at least put their hypocrisy in perspective by matching them up with people who agree with them. (Note: some particularly disingenious people still won't get it after an eternity of destroying ugly people in the afterlife) For predators (including nekos and tiny nagas), as they don't believe they're picking on people, just eating food, and they don't define themselves by eating people... well, they will go wherever people that eat food and like to have fun go. And hey, if you were deep down just like them, they might eventually regret that they ate you, once you're both dead. And then you can be best friends 4eva!

If, on the other hand, eating people specifically was something they strongly believed in, they'll be matched with the people who believe in, specifically, eating people. It's a pretty unstable recipe, given souls aren't particularly solid (or stable-sized), so I don't think if those people ever were in a cloud, they'd have been able to stay there for long.

In this version, cannibals go to hell, predators go to heaven, hell is other people (and so is heaven). I think that should mo' or less work without being too objective about what is right and what isn't.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 7:47 pm

^ I think that works best Stabs. It seems pretty fair without being cruel or unjust to anyone. And it might be cool to be around the Pred who ate you in heaven or hell. Kind of like a condolence thing. Like Crisis could appoligize to a few unfortuante humans who got sent there through a portal or something. It would be a pretty nice closure for everyone really.

But I have a question, Since Angels and Succubi can eat you in Felarya (and other places) By coming to Felarya, does that mean that the Angel or Succubus would go to heaven or hell when they die? In short, What happens to the souls when Angels and Succubi die? (And yes they can die. You can beat them in their weakened forms in Felarya or another world, but they just get banished back to their homeworld and are uncomfortable, but alive. They can only be killed in heaven or hell respectfully to actually kill the Angel or Succubus.)
Back to top Go down
XionGaTaosenai
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Another issue is that even if you go to a realm of people who are like you, that realm still has to be assigned as a heaven or hell because one has Angels that help you and the other has Succubi that eat you. Pretty big distinction. So how is that assignment made?

Thinking about it, maybe it's just that a particular realm of the afterlife becomes positive or negative based upon how people treat each other within it, drawing the matching beings to it. If good people are nice to each other, the realm is positive because of that, at which point Angels are drawn to it, until it becomes an "official" heaven, and vice-versa for Hells.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 9:29 am

The only problem I have with that, Stabs, is how it conflicts with the Hell depicted in Felarya.

Fortunately we have zero comics involving heaven whatsoever (For some reason), so we can be a bit more liberal. With hell though, on the other hand its just a bad place where bad people go, but it still is difficult because we have realms of hell with specific characteristics that we somehow need to figure out how people get there. I'm still trying to think of one myself after the previous idea of an auto-system of sorts a few posts back.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
The only problem I have with that, Stabs, is how it conflicts with the Hell depicted in Felarya.

Fortunately we have zero comics involving heaven whatsoever (For some reason), so we can be a bit more liberal. With hell though, on the other hand its just a bad place where bad people go, but it still is difficult because we have realms of hell with specific characteristics that we somehow need to figure out how people get there. I'm still trying to think of one myself after the previous idea of an auto-system of sorts a few posts back.

Maybe it's based on your fears? Since I am scared of heights, Chenobryos would be Hell for me. Someone who hates cold may go to Acheron. And the worst of the worst get Melchuum. (Which would be fun to see in a video game).

It might work the same in heaven, you go to the realm that resonates best with you.
Back to top Go down
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 5:30 pm

I like Stab's idea; honestly, this would work a lot better than basing things on morality. However, it also raises the question of why there should be only two destinations–and I think there should be more. Anyone who's played D&D is familiar with the two-axis alignment system; this sort of afterlife would synergize very well with a multi-axis alignment system, or perhaps no alignment system at all; instead of having two polar opposite destinations where all souls go, we could have an entire system of afterlife sub-planes. It could be that not only do like souls attract, but like afterlifes attract, too; Heaven would be the common name of a group of afterlives that share generally "good" traits, and Hell would be the opposing group of realms of "bad" traits. This lets us keep the already-established multi-realm nature of both that Bael mentioned. I'd say one possibility for why Heaven would be so much of an easier and happier afterlife is that the souls that came by earlier, as well as the angels who live there (whose souls are similar to the souls of mortals that live in those realms, hence why they're attracted there) have put in work to make the realm livable. Hence, the better afterlives are those not only with nicer people, but with people who can work together and make the realm a better place through effort. Hell, on the other hand, consists mostly of mortal souls and demons who are generally trying to hurt each other, and has a history of large-scale, devastating conflicts. I envision a whole bunch of afterlives, in something similar to a solar system, but without a clearly-defined orbital plane. In addition to Heaven and Hell at opposing ends, there would be smaller clusters of afterlives scattered throughout for ideas that were more neutral and don't strongly attract to either extreme. These afterlives would be more or less tolerable, depending on what exactly they represent; an afterlife filled completely with beings who ate to live and never really thought beyond that will obviously be dangerous, because everyone's still trying to eat each other; an afterlife based around personal freedom to the point of anarchy would be highly chaotic (someplace like this might be where fairies tend to end up). As the two largest groupings of afterlives, Heaven and Hell have the most attractive power towards more minor realms, which lets them keep their place as the two major ends, but significantly strong afterlifeness that isn't particularly attracted to either can easily result in a realm, or even a grouping thereof, removed from either. Lastly, entities with the ability to traverse these realms, moving from one to another, would be able to map them and find that as you travel, there is a distinct gradient, with some realms being held in equilibrium between larger groupings, both of which are attracting it.

As for angels and succubi "dying": angels and demons already exist as souls; they never "die" in the sense that a mortal does simply because they never have a soul tethered to a material body the way mortals do. Instead, they simply project into Felarya or other mortal planes; when dismissed, yes, they follow the same inclinations as human souls (which basically just puts them back where they came from, most likely), while if the actual soul is killed, then they're completely gone, the way any soul that dies is.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm

I dunno I feel that beings like demons and ceiciels all follow a different set of rules for death. however thats a totally different topic...
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Archmage_Bael wrote:
I dunno I feel that beings like demons and ceiciels all follow a different set of rules for death. however thats a totally different topic...

I thought it went something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfjp5XkLp2c

It's like poetry, it rhymes.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 10:15 am

Afterlifeness... mhh that's interesting ^^

So that would be like having a multitude of realms of Hell and heavens based on what defines most the soul.
For example a special Hell for slavers, one for narcissistic vain people with maybe endless wall of mirrors etc. but maybe a bit less specific and more general for heaven ?
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 4:58 pm

That would make things a bit easier. It would be interesting if this kind of specified afterlife could actually result in someone enjoying their time in a plane of hell, too. XD This kind of thing really takes out the whole questions of good and evil, reward and punishment, and leaves it to be a more simple action and result system

I still question where ghosts and elementals fit in, though.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Karbo wrote:
Afterlifeness... mhh that's interesting ^^

So that would be like having a multitude of realms of Hell and heavens based on what defines most the soul.
For example a special Hell for slavers, one for narcissistic vain people with maybe endless wall of mirrors etc. but maybe a bit less specific and more general for heaven ?

For hell, on one hand, it might not matter so much according to your soul. Could just be there because its hell, its going to be unpleasant, and the demons will make sure it is (possibly in their own way). If you're a masochist then so be it, they probably wont care. If you REALLY don't like the realm in hell you're in, too bad. Its hell. The succubi just don't care.

So yeah, heaven would follow that method I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?   Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hell's Inhabitants: Do They Deserve It?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3