Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Negav; Fleshing it out

Go down 
+11
SenecaHyde
ravaging vixen
Krisexy26
Archmage_Bael
jedi-explorer
Amaroq
Stabs
DarkOne
Nyaha
Shady Knight
Lockheed X-17
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 12:27 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
There is one aspect of Negav's political system that's worth fleshing out and it's the aristocracy.  A lot of articles around Negav mentions nobles and the rick folks, and the Higher Tier is pretty centered entirely on them.  It would be worth fleshing out and answer some questions like, how does one become a noble?  How did the existing ones get in their position?  What kind of power do they hold in the city?  It seems like such an important aspect of Negav at first, but has never once been elaborated on and just sort of exists in its form.

Yeaaah! Thank you finally somebody else who says this. Granted I haven't published anything but I had some ideas on how Magiocrats and Minor Nobles got their titles. I never thought anyone much cared. If you want we can pool resources?

Lockheed X-17 wrote:
So what businesses does a Negavian businessman will preferably work with?
Would they sell merchandise from Felarya, or export rare treasures, or recruitment of the soon-to-be adventurers etc. ?

There's a load more services than that actually but it's not a bad start. Hmm give me a minute I'm gonna type up a thread if Shady don't.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 3:42 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
Shady Knight wrote:
There is one aspect of Negav's political system that's worth fleshing out and it's the aristocracy.  A lot of articles around Negav mentions nobles and the rick folks, and the Higher Tier is pretty centered entirely on them.  It would be worth fleshing out and answer some questions like, how does one become a noble?  How did the existing ones get in their position?  What kind of power do they hold in the city?  It seems like such an important aspect of Negav at first, but has never once been elaborated on and just sort of exists in its form.

Yeaaah! Thank you finally somebody else who says this. Granted I haven't published anything but I had some ideas on how Magiocrats and Minor Nobles got their titles. I never thought anyone much cared. If you want we can pool resources?

Actually I had been juggling ideas about the nobility class myself. Being that its a magiocracy, officially recognized mages could maybe attain the rank of nobility, or at least specific class that would grant them access to the higher tier of Negav to the point even of maybe invites to their parties and gatherings maybe - sort of how Ship Masters a couple hundred years ago were as close as you could get to nobility to the point where they actually respected you.

I also have been thinking about, ironically, the majority of the nobility would be nekos. Negav's area was originally settled by neko families and surviving families I can imagine might have actually the upper hand when it comes to old wealth. It would be a nice switch. Nekos are normally looked down upon in Negavian society otherwise, but at the same time people dont question about how a greater percentage of them (like 60% or so ) are all nekos, some with insane amounts of power and influence.

It could potentially add to how screwed up the Negavian political system is. I love it.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 1:12 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:

I also have been thinking about, ironically, the majority of the nobility would be nekos. Negav's area was originally settled by neko families and surviving families I can imagine might have actually the upper hand when it comes to old wealth. It would be a nice switch. Nekos are normally looked down upon in Negavian society otherwise, but at the same time people dont question about how a greater percentage of them (like 60% or so ) are all nekos, some with insane amounts of power and influence.

It could potentially add to how screwed up the Negavian political system is. I love it.

So Nekos are both a descriminated minority and the large majority of the 1%?

Not sure that makes any sense.

Besides, I was under the impression that the Neko leaders were forced out. If the old Neko leaders are still in Negav...then who are the fellas at Nekomura?
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 5:15 am

Eh, I know it sounds weird, but its basically old wealth, Neko leaders who own a lot and make so much money that despite all the descrimination they've managed to hold on to their power, meanwhile the all the others were less fortunate.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 5:25 am

I have to agree with Darky, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  It also undermines Nekomura's founding as a whole, since it was founded to be free of what they felt were new set of laws specifically targeting them, but if most nobles were nekos, why didn't they use their influence to begin with to try and make the little exodus unnecessary?  You'd think the nekos would have revolted against them specifically since they're supposed to represent them.  It would make more sense if nekos hardly had any representation, if at all, which eventually led to them falling out with Negav.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 6:17 am

I believe the wiki actually said something about Magiocrats being ex-Isolon Fist mages? So I would guess alot of the Negav Noble class were soilders (or were decended from soilders and inherited the wealth) So I would assume the noble class are mages who didn't qualify to be part of the Magiocrat council, but are still succesful and respected enougth to earn a place in the upper class.

This is not too different from the noble class from the medival ages, who were mostly knights who fought in the king's/queen's wars in exchange for land and governance over minor towns and villages.
Which leads to an interesting point, the Magiocrats can't really offer the nobles much land within Negav itself, even if the higher tier is has more space than the lower ones, the size of the city still suggests the nobles can't be getting much of a deal out of it when compared to real life medival nobles. At best The Negav nobles would be getting one mansion and a nice garden each or something? Some might argue that's a raw deal for a life of servitude to the Magiocrats, even if it's better than life in the lower and middle tiers.

So I wonder if there are smaller settlements outside Negav, but still within the Isolon eye that some Negavian Nobles own? Their offical abode is in the higher tier where they mingle with their own, but they govern the goings on within these smaller settlements as well.

Last edited by DarkOne on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 6:50 am

I think at best, nobles in Negav have privileges beyond just having a fancy mansion and a fancy garden in the Eladrine Hills. What are those privileges? I don't know. Only the guy who made the setting knows, and he's extremely apprehensive about revealing that piece of precious information for reasons that defy comprehension. I'd say about the one privilege we can all agree with is that they're exempt from paying taxes.

I was also thinking that the original Negavian nobility were people who distinguished themselves during the reconstruction of Negav, back when it was still vulnerable. They could also be generals in the Isolon Fist, cause nothing distinguishes you better than to lead a regiment in the army. They could also be wizards or alchemists who made important discoveries that helped in the development in the city in some fashion, whatever those could be. But this lead to another problem, with the exception of generals or high ranked military officials, what do nobles do? Also, do nobles in Negav have titles like Count or Marquis? On one hand, it feels unnecessary since all of their "land" is confined inside a city wall, so a title wouldn't work very well, but on the other hand, an aristocrat without a title of sort just sounds weird.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2015 11:41 am

[quote="DarkOne"]
Archmage_Bael wrote:

Besides, I was under the impression that the Neko leaders were forced out. If the old Neko leaders are still in Negav...then who are the fellas at Nekomura?

The fools what didn't realize that selling national Neko secrets and acient artifacts they barely understand in order to barter limited freedom is genius! XD Well mabye. I think some of them neko noble ladies had no problem convincing the Psi'ol of their "value" in their new order. cat But I think mostly we wouldn't see many city nekos being made up of former nobles. The majority would be like my Neko Butler Jarvis, whom has said before he was an assassin for the royal court known as a Shadow Pad, and was hired by the Autero Family to protect their noble house. See it'd mostly be people with useful multi-fold skills. Jarvis can use swords and neko agility to kill people for neko nobles in his old job but if there's no nobles trying to get others to slay their enemies, and 'allies' who've out lived their usefulness, then you gotta hire yourself out to either a private contractrator or take jobs as a sell sword. Possibly with the Kensha Hussar or somebody who don't descriminate agaianst demi humans.

Shady wrote:
On one hand, it feels unnecessary since all of their "land" is confined inside a city wall, so a title wouldn't work very well

Negav is described as being the size of a large part of the U.S. <.< Several New Yorks in fact if I remember right. I think one would easily land holdings of any of it's multiple teirs. In fact that could be one way you distinguish landholders. Third teir? Lowest rank, lowest influence second tier: medium rank but higher than those guys who bought property in the Pit. Decent influence depending on what section. First Teir: Highest influence, possibly even holdings in the other areas that are regularly traded to put those lower nobles in your zone of influence.

Shady wrote:
But this lead to another problem, with the exception of generals or high ranked military officials, what do nobles do?

Actually nobles are probably more active than Isolon Generals. My OC Oxhand is a good example. He often comments how there's not been any wars in Negav so mostly all his job is sitting behind a desk and drilling recruits. ^^; The Isolon Fist doesn't see many super foes unless a stuborn pred shows up and refuses to leave without being asked nicely and even then? Likely they're just young and can be delt with using a minmum of personale. Now they probably do get payed generous sums mind but they likely DO NOTHING these days to earn it. ^^;

Nobles however are more deversified than Military personale though. For example there's

Psi'ol Councilers Merchant Trade Lords,Landholders, Fashion Moguls,Art Collectors,Accomplished Inventors and so many more. @_@ Noble is often thought of as King or Lesser Vassal in most fantasy realms but in a city as big as Negav with only ONE ruler, our beautiful and pyshcotic self proclaimed 'Queen of Curses' Lady Lesona, it'd be safer to divesify away from her influence. Hm perhaps it's time to actually list what positions the Psi'ol Council holds as well as list the mant multitudes of noble sub-class?
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 5:20 am

Shady Knight wrote:

They could also be wizards or alchemists who made important discoveries that helped in the development in the city in some fashion, whatever those could be.  But this lead to another problem, with the exception of generals or high ranked military officials, what do nobles do?

Well serving the Magiocrats goes beyond just the military, any important business owner who the magiocrats consider valuble to their interests would be rewarded with nobility and privileges as well if they catered their services toward's the magiocrats and did a good enougth job over time. A quick look at Negav's wiki page and map gives a few clues what business would be big enougth to be owned by nobles who in turn would be working for the council.

The Negav banking system,
The Negav mining corperation,
whoever is building those airships,
building firms,
weapon manufacturers who cater specifically to the Isolon Fist,

These look like important things that the Magiocrats would want to have influence over, but not necessary control in person (they are busy ruling the city as a whole, they will leave the gritty details to others to deal with) so the owners of these areas certainly look like they would ascend into noblity as the Magiocrats start making deals with them.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 6:28 am

Is "corporation" even the right word? It seems a little too modern, and I think also implies there branches in other places, but that's beside the point. Now that I think about it, maybe the Great Foundry is where those flying utility vehicles that could've been elaborated on and military-grade weapons are made. The more I think about it, the more I think the Middle Tier at least should be more modern, with a lot more magitech to it, while the Lower Tier, as a poorer district, is less technologically advanced by comparison, but still a better place to live than the slums underground.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:40 am

DarkOne wrote:
Shady Knight wrote:

They could also be wizards or alchemists who made important discoveries that helped in the development in the city in some fashion, whatever those could be.  But this lead to another problem, with the exception of generals or high ranked military officials, what do nobles do?

Well serving the Magiocrats goes beyond just the military, any important business owner who the magiocrats consider valuble to their interests would be rewarded with nobility and privileges as well if they catered their services toward's the magiocrats and did a good enougth job over time. A quick look at Negav's wiki page and map gives a few clues what business would be big enougth to be owned by nobles who in turn would be working for the council.

The Negav banking system,
The Negav mining corperation,
whoever is building those airships,
building firms,
weapon manufacturers who cater specifically to the Isolon Fist,

These look like important things that the Magiocrats would want to have influence over, but not necessary control in person (they are busy ruling the city as a whole, they will leave the gritty details to others to deal with) so the owners of these areas certainly look like they would ascend into noblity as the Magiocrats start making deals with them.

That's a very good point. I wonder how many others there are. I guess there wont be just one building firm either. People who are involved in the construction of Negav's Buildings in general.

I'm guessing anyone who donates large sums of money to help - I mean we're all aware the magiocrats are RICH, but others who are rich as well can influence things in many ways as well, especially if they own anything in the entertainment industry. Or other parts of the city that the Magiocrats might want to have their eye on. By having others in their pocket they can subtly have their eyes on the whole city, while just letting other people deal with the problems. That way you have the "be careful, because the magiocrats are always watching you" sort of "Big Brother" analogy in the US.

Granted anyone who's distinguished themselves in service would also just be obvious.
Back to top Go down
SenecaHyde
Naga food
SenecaHyde

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 12:25 am

Would they sponsor athletes? I've heard a saying that major sports events are chess for the super rich...
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 4:52 am

There's an arena, like the Roman Colosseum, but the blood sports aren't quite as bloody I hear.
Back to top Go down
XionGaTaosenai
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 7:55 am

The wiki mentions "Domesticated Dryads" that are presumably found in Negav (only place in Felarya that has nobility rich enough to afford something like that), and at least some get big enough to eat humans (remarks about "a gardener or three going missing every now and then"). Does the Isolon eye turn a metaphorical blind eye to dryads? I could see it being specifically designed to do such at the request of dryad breeders if such a level of fine-tuning is possible, given that wild dryads are not really a threat to the city (even uprooted dryads are incredibly slow, so the likelihood of the city being overrun by dryads alone is pretty much nonexistent). Or perhaps there's something specifically done in the breeding or rearing process to provide an immunity to domestic dryads that their wild counterparts lack.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 8:57 am

I see it more as a relic of when we forced vore for the sake of it.  The domesticated dryads really add nothing other than "hey, there are dryads in the city and they could potentially eat people".  Remove that one part about them, and they're a completely hollow concept. The wiki as a whole is full of these little things that were added on a whim, but have no realm substance to them, that honestly should be weeded out.
Back to top Go down
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Lockheed X-17

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 6:47 pm

help
What about the real workings of the Negavian Economy, is is bureaucratic or otherwise?
Back to top Go down
XionGaTaosenai
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 9:21 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
The domesticated dryads really add nothing other than "hey, there are dryads in the city and they could potentially eat people".  Remove that one part about them, and they're a completely hollow concept.  The wiki as a whole is full of these little things that were added on a whim, but have no realm substance to them, that honestly should be weeded out.

I'm not sure if you intended it, but tee hee, "weeded out". PLANT PUNS

To be serious, You could say that about almost anything, though, especially concepts that are on the periphery and not referenced much in the canon. Just look at things like the Grasswaves, or pretty much every human settlement that isn't Negav. Which I guess is what you meant when you said "little things that were added on a whim, but have no realm substance to them", but I think the little things are actually really important to worldbuilding. The real world is full of curious details that don't really amount to much in the grand scheme, but it's the details, curiosities, and idiosyncrasies that give a world depth.

Personally, I tend to really like exploring the idea that Humans and Predators can actually get along in the right context, and that their relationships can be something other than the incredibly antagonistic one forwarded by Negav. I think Crisis wouldn't be half as interesting as she is without Lea, my favorite scene in the manga so far was Thas & Fiona working together to fight Anko, and the non-Negav cities and towns like Kortiki, the Rosic Neko Village, and Chiota City, have particularly captured my attention and imagination. So the idea of such a relationship potentially sprouting (PLANT PUNS) within Negav itself, even if it's just some rich fop who wants something fancier and more imposing than a lawn gnome in his garden, interests me. And even if it seems like a one-note gimmick, it also represents a contradiction, a double standard in Negav's generally anti-predator policy, that could imply a lot about the priorities of Negav as a whole if explored deeper. Or maybe it just shows that the Negavian elite are willing to compromise their principles in the face of enough coin or an influential enough noble/lobbying group (would Negav have lobbyists, actually?), but even then the presence of domestic dryads does a great job of showing how willing Negav is to sell out without needing to tell you.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 12:14 pm

I know I'm arriving late here but Shady, I would really appreciate if you were less aggressive and caustic in your comments. If you think Lockheed X-17 was wrong, there are other ways to tell him rather than snap at him like that.

This said the topic of developing and fleshing out Negav is a high priority one and could be the next thing after we are done with Kortiki.

Archmage_Bael wrote:

So as I was saying  - Karbo doesn't know enough about political systems and its inner-workings and how government functions in order to create a deeper understanding of how Negav's political system works. I can tell you, that as an oligarchy, Negav most certainly has a political system. All societies have one. Even a village with a hunter-gatherer society has a government, just on a way smaller scale. After all, government is literally just how a community, state, or nation organizes itself.

So we might want to figure out a system which is simple, yet effective, unique to Negav, so that Karbo can look at it and say "yes, that makes sense, its a good idea."

Erm you're pretty mistaken here. I am actually very interested in politics, geopolitics and History. I'm History savvy and I follow very closely the news around the world and I have (I think) a pretty good understanding of how our world and its various government systems works. I just chose to rarely bring  politics in any conversation in general because while it's interesting it's also very irritating and infuriating at times >> Politics is also one of the subject where I can get very ( too ) passionate with very fast.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 12:36 pm

Well Karbo, if you want me to flesh out specific things in or around negav then tell me what you want me to focus on and I will create something in cooperation with you and the others Razz Like it was done with the inu article or the reynke article or the heaven realm you once wanted me to do. Just give a suggestion and I'll do it. Its easier that way because I dont like to spend time on useless things that wont be taken or even noticed in the end, such as the article I wrote for scry... <.<

As for politics, i am pretty much of the same kind.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 pm

Karbo wrote:

Archmage_Bael wrote:

So as I was saying  - Karbo doesn't know enough about political systems and its inner-workings and how government functions in order to create a deeper understanding of how Negav's political system works. I can tell you, that as an oligarchy, Negav most certainly has a political system. All societies have one. Even a village with a hunter-gatherer society has a government, just on a way smaller scale. After all, government is literally just how a community, state, or nation organizes itself.

So we might want to figure out a system which is simple, yet effective, unique to Negav, so that Karbo can look at it and say "yes, that makes sense, its a good idea."

Erm you're pretty mistaken here. I am actually very interested in politics, geopolitics and History. I'm History savvy and I follow very closely the news around the world and I have (I think) a pretty good understanding of how our world and its various government systems works. I just chose to rarely bring  politics in any conversation in general because while it's interesting it's also very irritating and infuriating at times >> Politics is also one of the subject where I can get very ( too ) passionate with very fast.

Apologies then. The few times I've brought it up when we spoke you've avoided it, and made it seem like/implied you didn't know a whole lot. Maybe that was just a subtle way to suggest you'd rather not talk about it. Ah well.

Amarocky wrote:
Well Karbo, if you want me to flesh out specific things in or around negav then tell me what you want me to focus on and I will create something in cooperation with you and the others Razz Like it was done with the inu article or the reynke article or the heaven realm you once wanted me to do. Just give a suggestion and I'll do it. Its easier that way because I dont like to spend time on useless things that wont be taken or even noticed in the end, such as the article I wrote for scry... <.<

As for politics, i am pretty much of the same kind.

I volunteer to work with you.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 12:53 pm

My apologies for that old post, but a thorough lack of research is something I have little tolerance for.

In any case, I've been planning on doing a revised entry of Negav's primary page for the time being because I've thought about it for a while and I have to agree with Cliff, I think the city doesn't know what it wants to be and desperately needs to evolve into something more cohesive.

What I think Negav should be is something akin to Lindblum from Final Fantasy 9, a city that's technologically advanced by the setting's standards, but still very much a fantasy city.  In this case, a place where magitech is very common, to help with the feel that magic and technology are very deeply intertwined with one another.  Rough technology level would be around the age of steam, cause they already have Steam Golems, I would hope steam engines would be more widespread than just them.  Among other things would be an actual melting pot of cultures, where one could experience all sorts of foods and spectacles from other worlds.  And yes, guns and swords would be both relatively easy to find to appease to both cultures, and hopefully put that argument to rest.  One might be a little cheaper and easier to find than the other, but not by much. Another thing I had in mind was the Ascarlin and Diamond Mines falling under predator control during the Great Destruction, and the first act of the Isolon Fist following their inception was driving off the predators and recapturing, and their success helped the Magiocrats solidify their rule and serve as an inspiration for Negavians wishing to join.

Anyway, just a basic idea I had in mind.
Back to top Go down
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Lockheed X-17

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 6:53 pm

So one thing remains, what is the backbone of the Negavian Economy?

( I understand your old post, I mean look at my age! )
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Your not 13 lets not kid yourself when another source operated by you saids differently.

The backbone isn't one thing. As people suggest and the wiki suggest it's mostly it's ascarlin from the mines and it's exports of having various things. If we were to go the model Shady knight suggested then It's other export would be that it's a trade with other civilizations through the gate, many different things for people to trade because of the nature of felarya itself and the exposition the gate provides with it's various races with human/like civilizations.
Back to top Go down
http://sovietkroshka.deviantart.com/
Lockheed X-17
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Lockheed X-17

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 7:37 pm

Trading routes... So does Nekomura and Negav openly trade?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Yes, it does.  However, nowadays they're more so famous for offering the services of elite scouts as part of military service, since Negav expanded to the point where whatever Nekomura would trade in terms of goods would be peanuts at best.

In any case, I have consolidated the history of Negav for the main article, mainly using whatever tidbit from the chronology I could find.  I also polished the opening paragraph a little.  I did a few changes to the history.  For starters, I promoted Sineria from Queen to Empress, because the Dridder had an empire, so her actually title should be Empress, unless you're telling me the empire somehow reverted back to a kingdom at some point before her rule.  I also went and modernized Negav a little, added some of Cliff's ideas because I think he's right that it's time Negav started to show actual development.  That and because I'm biased.  I also went ahead and made my own terms for the magiocracy so that it's finally consistent.  It goes as follows:

• Magiocracy: A combination of Mage and Aristocracy.  Short and to the point, mages are in power.
  • Magiocrat: A distinguished mage who has been elevated to aristocracy, and has therefore some power and privileges in the city.
  • Ps'isol Mage: A member of the Ps'isol Council, sometimes abridged as just the Council, the supreme rulers of the city.  Ps'isol Mages are all Magiocrats by default, but not all Magiocrats are Ps'isol Mages.  A Ps'isol Mage must not only be very powerful, but also highly politically savvy.

I hope this made any sense.  Anyway, enjoy and don't be afraid to share your thoughts, I swear I won't rage... much.

For the humans living on Felarya, Negav is more or less their current capital.  An oddity in the wilds, the seemingly impregnable fortified city has withstood whatever dangers the jungle has thrown at it.  It has been partially destroyed, rebuilt, conquered, flooded, struck by fire and lightning... and yet it continues to stand.  While most humans settlements in Felarya are tiny and secluded to avoid the hungry gaze of its ravenous fauna, Negav boldly lets its presence be known, like a challenge to the face of Felarya and its voracious inhabitants.  Due to its perceived invincibility, Negav serves as a haven and oasis to the many travelers arriving in Felarya, usually through the dimensional gate located next to the city.  Negav is like a magnet for mysterious planar travelers, shady vagabonds, slayers of mythical beasts, scar-covered swordsmen, heroes bearing magical swords, temple defilers, ruthless thugs, and intrepid explorers who, despite its incredible dangers, are drawn to Felarya by the prospect of fabulous treasures, glory and adventures.

History

Negav was settled as a small trading community by neko settlers in 1998 B.U, although the name Negav wouldn't appear until 1736 A.U when the city would be officially founded during the reign of Kind Tohno.  Lacking the manpower and infrastructure to defend itself, they paid tribute to the powerful Dridder Empire in exchange for protection.  This alliance allowed the settlement to prosper in relative peace, until 1664 B.U, when the peace treaty between the Sagolian and Dridder was signed, turning Negav into a neutral trading area.  With the protection of two mighty empires, the future certainly looked bright for this small community, and expansion was the logical course of action.  Soon, the little village grew into an oasis for lost travelers, offering them a shelter where they would be safe from predation.

In 1038 B.U, an expedition led by Heric Rohir, a renowned neko explorer and cartographer, discovered the first deposit of ascarlin in the western Ascarlin Mountains, and a complex mining system was thus discreetly built to harvest the precious gems.  The labor was back-breaking and the route to the mines froth with danger, but the risks paid of, as the resulting boom in trades allowed Negav to expand immensely within only a few decades.  However, word of this new resource eventually reached both the Sagolian and Dridder empire, and both vied for control of the mines.  The two empires came to blows in a conflict known as the Second Motamo War.  It ended after only three short years with no side the victor.  Negav itself was caught in the crossfire and teetered on the brink of destruction.  A peace treaty was therefore signed and Negav agreed to pay a tribute of ascarlin to both the Sagolian and Dridder empire for continued protection.  Things became quiet for the next centuries until the Fall of Ur-Sagol.

In 99 A.U, during the reign of Sineria, the current Empress of the Dridder Empire, nekos and humans from all over the Motamo region banded together to fortify Negav, fearing that the Mad Empress may soon turn her sights on them.  Fortunately, Sineria's forces were busy fighting against the neighboring naga tribes, giving the Negavians plenty of time to bolster their forces.  Three years later, their greatest fear became reality: Empress Sineria declared all past alliances with nekos and humans void, and are to be treated as ordinary prey.  Come the year 143, after crushing all resisting naga tribes and a few rebel factions in the empire, Mad Empress Sineria at long last shifts her gaze toward Negav.  She publicly declares the Motamo region dridder territory and openly expresses her desire to nap and feast in the middle of the settlement that had so long eluded her grasp.  Any opposition would be a declaration of war and met with the full might of the empire's army.  Knowing of her treacherous nature, the people of Negav remained steadfast and refused to surrender.  They steeled themselves for what could very well be their last stand, as Sineria returned to Supprozad to prepare for her assault, licking her lips in eager anticipation.  Then, two years later, a legion of insects mysteriously descended from the heavens.  It was said that they completely blanketed the ground and blotted out both sun and skies.  The terrified and bewildered masses watched in awe as the swarm completely ignored Negav and instead headed directly to Supprozad, the capital of the Dridder Empire.  After years of waiting for Empress Sineria's threats to pass, a collective sigh of joy and respite echoed throughout all of Negav as news of the empire's demise reached their ears.

In 737, a neko by the name of Manox Kerume crowns himself the first official king over Negav and a small confederacy of tribes settled around the Motamo River.  His opposition was however fierce, as Kerume was not only not of Felaryan descent, but had also arrived only a few years prior.  In 746, as nagas were reclaiming the territories they lost during the era of the Dridder Empire and were seeking to expand their own territories more aggressively than ever, King Kerume ordered a complex network of tunnels to be dug under Negav.  Then, in an extraordinarily bold, and some might even say foolhardy move, King Kerume privately met with Chani, the leader of a neighboring giant naga tribe in 769.  No record speaks of what exactly happened during their meeting, other than predation from nagas diminished immensely shortly afterward.  King Kerume was seen as a hero by many, but others came to resent him further for making a deal with a heartless, man-eating monster.

In 1261, Darkness Elementals suddenly swarmed out of the Evernight Forest.  People walking in the dark suddenly vanish without a trace.  Survivors of elven villages that had been wiped out by the darkness soon reached Negav where they hoped to find refuge.  With them, they carried grim tales of a colossal Darkness Elemental, whom their people called Queen Déméchrelle.  She was said to be at the very center of the darkness itself, commanding the ever growing legions of elementals and wandering nightmares.  Then, reports of her wandering about in the north region soon followed.  They talked at length about how she feasted on every living creature she came across, from beasts, to humans, to elves, to even giant nagas.  This grisly tale sparked the period of intense fear and paranoia known as the One Hundred Years of Nightmares.  As the darkness continued to expand, King Kerume and Chani gathered all best neko and naga shamans under their command in 1341 in a joint effort to stop the darkness from engulfing the Motamo region.  This long siege lasted until 1363, when the darkness receded as suddenly as it expanded, and all sightings of Déméchrelle disappeared.  Though they were successful in saving their homes from certain annihilation, resentment toward King Kerume only grew as his friendship with Chani deepened.

Tensions between nekos and King Kerume continued to increase until 1427, when King Kerume was assassinated in a coup.  Gewaz Tatal, the leader of the rebel force, then crowned himself the second King of Negav.  However, tensions showed no signs of abating.  Those who supported King Kerume opposed Tatal ferociously for putting an end to a period of relative peace and prosperity.  Worse, a vengeful and grieving Chani was frequently sighted rampaging around the region, ravaging any neko settlement and devouring its inhabitants to the last.  Compounding this issue, humans living in Negav grew uneasy, as many of the new king's policies were targeting them.  Then, in 1465, Tatal is deposed in a coup.  Though he escaped with his life, he left behind no heir and the throne vacant.  Upon hearing that her friend's murderer had been dethroned at last, Chani ceased her rampages.  She then left the region and was never seen or heard from.  After a long and heated dispute over inheritance of the throne, Mazdam Tohno, a chancellor who had once served King Kerume, is then crowned the third King of Negav.

In 1736, King Tohno ordered a massive wall of stones to be built around the city's perimeter.  The most skilled of earthshapers in all the realm were all gathered in one place.  They toiled day and night tirelessly, until months later, when the Great Wall of Negav was finally complete.  King Tohno was confident that the Great Wall of Negav would prove an insurmountable bulwark and a symbol of Negav's might against any giant monster prowling the region.  In 1757, his claim would be tested.  A large group of marauding centaurs attacked the city, seeing its bold presence as a challenge to their kin.  Though the assault was fierce and casualties numbered in the hundreds, the Great Wall proved too resilient to breach and offered key strategic positioning for the city garrison to fight back on relatively equal terms.  The centaurs attempted to mount a siege, but with the region almost stripped bare of preys during their previous raids, they soon ordered a retreat.  News of this incredible feat reached other, smaller settlements across neighboring regions.  Humans, nekos, elves, and even small nagas, dridders and harpies began looking at Negav as a safe haven, much like the Sagolian Empire of legends.  Many migrated over to the city to begin new lives there.

Alas, come 1779, tensions once more rose between humans and nekos.  Humans began rioting in the streets, demanding more rights and more representation.  Elves, on the other hand, remained neutral, and openly criticized the rash actions of both humans and nekos.  In a bold move, Prince Makem, the son of King Tohno, met with the protesters personally, bringing with him no weapon and none of his personal guard.  He tried to negotiate with the leader of the rioting humans, hoping to come to an agreement through diplomacy.  Things seemed to looking up, until Makem was critically wounded by an arrow from a human assassin.  Outraged, King Tohno ordered the garrison to impose a severe crackdown on all present and future protests.  Clashes intensified and threatened to descend into a full-blown civil war.  The king's advisors pleaded for a truce, as the infighting were pulling guards away from the Great Wall, a prospect that would spell certain disaster.  King Tohno reluctantly agreed, and in 1784, ordered the crackdown to be suspended.  Despite this, tensions remained high and skirmishes between humans and the neko garrison continued to occur sporadically.  During this tense period, a small group of powerful mages took up quarters in Negav and discreetly opened a small magic school in 1798.  They were headed by a man named Fergo Thelandros and they called themselves the Ps'isol Mages.

In 1836, the largest human riot in Negav's recorded history suddenly erupted in the streets.  This time, King Tohno had had enough, and ordered the entire city garrison to take up arms, including all soldiers stationed at the Great Wall, and crush the human rebellion.  King Tohno's advisor begged him to cease the fighting and give the humans what they wanted, but he refused to listen, and even arrested some of them for treason.  Then, in 1837, the Great Destruction happened.  On this ill-fated day, a group of giant nagas approached Negav and noticed how neither a single guard, nor lookout was stationed at the Great Wall.  The nagas immediately seized the opportunity and began climbing the sides of the wall.  Everyone inside was caught completely flat-footed and mass panic swept across every corner of the city.  The nagas scooped up the forces fighting closest to the wall and greedily stuffed them in their mouths before swallowing them alive.  News that the city had been breached soon reached the other nearby predators, who spontaneously all flocked toward the city to partake in on the feast.  The mighty Great Wall of Negav soon collapsed under the giant army's relentless assault.  For three days on end, giant nagas, dridders, harpies, centaurs and sphinxes rampaged through the street.  Houses and infrastructures were torn apart as the giants searched every square inch of the city for prey.  Any unfortunate man, woman or child who failed to escape was eaten alive on the spot.  The city garrison fell into disarray and were slaughtered almost to the last.  Some tried in vain to protect civilians, but most fell in a panic trying to save their own hide.  King Tohno, his Queen and Prince Makem were reportedly eaten alive in their own palace.  Some of the giants became consumed by their greed and gluttony, and began fighting one another, killing countless civilians and reducing buildings to rubble.  The only salvation for the Negavians were the underground tunnels built during King Kerume's reign and the giants' bloated stomachs reaching their maximum capacity.  After three days and three nights, the giants ceased their attacks and left Negav to look for more prey elsewhere.  The city was left in ruins, almost a mirror image of the what remained of Ur-Sagol.  The Great Wall of Negav, the once proud symbol of the city, was now nothing more than dust, gravel and shattered stones.

Though the Great Destruction lasted only three days, the survivors remained hidden underground, too shell-shocked to head back to the surface, save to search for food.  They established their own little community, which would eventually become the Underground Slums of Negav.  They continued to remain idle, until 1840, when the Ps'isol Mages decided it was time to take matters into their own hands.  They gathered any able-bodied man and woman, and headed back to the surface to begin Negav's reconstruction.  The Ps'isol Mages were met with only meager opposition, as most of the survivors were still too shocked by the catastrophe too question their leadership.  Come 1851, as the reconstruction was beginning to make some tangible headway, a race of humans possessing advanced technology arrived in Felarya.  They called themselves Vishmitals and offered the Ps'isol Mages their services to defend Negav and help in the reconstruction.  The Ps'isol Mages were at first hesitant to receive their aid, suspecting ulterior motives, but given the city lacked manpower, nevertheless agreed to their services.  Their first order of business was to erect a new Great Wall, bigger, sturdier, and equipped with better defenses.  As decades passed by, the Ps'isol Mages steadily grew in power, their powerful magic earning the respect of the Negavians.  Then, in 1893, the city was at last completely rebuilt.  The Ps'isol Mages unveiled their latest creation: the Isolon Eye.  This marvel of magic could keep away any giant monster or predator from ever coming close and offered complete protection to the city, or so they claimed at least.  The Negavians were at first incredulous, but were soon shown proof that their claims were true.  A small group of marauding giant dridders were hunting around the region and decided to attack the city.  But, as soon they came in proximity of the river, they became wracked with pain and immediately turned tail and fled.  The mighty cannons that protected the new Great Wall of Negav since its reconstruction had not been fired once.  The Negavians lauded the Ps'isol Mages as heroes.  Two years later, they officially declared themselves the new rulers of Negav, something that was almost unilaterally accepted by the Negavians since they had already been in charge for decades, and established the Magiocracy.  The Ps'isol Mages renamed themselves the Ps'isol Council.

Over the following years, the newly established Ps'isol Council turned their eyes over to the Ascarlin Mines.  Following a colony of giant rock harpies migrated over to the Ascarlin Mountains and promptly took the mines.  Anyone who trespassed in their territory was eaten alive.  It was clear that until they reclaimed the mines, Negav would remain a shadow of its former glory.  But an assault would prove suicidal.  Only the most talented of mages, after undergoing years of intense training, could stand a chance against the giant harpies.  But such a force would be too small and decimated almost immediately.  The Ps'isol mages then turned over to their allies, the Vishmitals.  Their advanced weapons could be mastered by just about anyone and in the fraction of the time one would take to master high level magic.  But their weaponry alone would not be enough to conquer the might rock harpies.  As such, the Ps'isol Council and the Vishmitals decided to combine their armed forces into a single military, one comprised not of Vishmital soldiers and the Council's elite Battlemages, but also weapons born of the Vishmitals' science and the Ps'isol Mages' wizardry.  In 1925, this new miltary was officially unveiled to the public.  Its name: the Isolon Fist.  Under the leadership of now retired General Novan, their first mission was to repel the nearby rock harpy colony from the Ascarlin Mountains' south-eastern, recapture and secure the main route to the mines, and exterminate any beast nesting inside.  The raid on the mines was grueling.  Thousands of brave souls lost their lives during the assault on mines, either swallowed alive by harpies, torn to shreds by beasts, or crushed under landslides.  Several months had passed and news finally reached Negav: the operation was a success.  The news that the mines were under their control once more resounded throughout all of Negav.  The Isolon Fist become an inspiration among Negavians, many figures becoming legendary war heroes.  With and the mines back under their control, Negav began expanding at a blistering rate once more, and with the resounding success of the Isolon Fist, science and magic became deeply intertwined throughout the entire city.  This marked the beginning of the Magitech Revolution.

But all was not well.  In 1941, the Ps'isol Council signed laws that forbade small predator species such as nagas, dridders and harpies from owning and renting property, or housing inside the city.  For many, this was a dagger to the back.  For nearly two hundred years, the city had provided them a shelter against their giant ravenous cousins, and now they were being arbitrarily kicked out.  However, many survivors of the Great Destruction actively spoke out against the small non-human races, how they were no different from their giant, monstrous cousins.  Disgusted, nagas, dridders and harpies left the city in droves and founded their own little, Motamo Docks, by the river bank.  A few years later, tensions between humans and nekos rose yet again.  Nekos complained about the changing of demographics and how they were treated as second class citizens, with new laws being passed targeting them and lacking true representation.  Humans still blamed them for being responsible for the Great Destruction and that this was justice for the calamity they caused.  Elves criticized both sides and received ire from both humans and nekos for never taking action to prevent the catastrophe.  After centuries of fighting, the nekos had had enough.  In 1953, the majority of the neko population begin a mass exodus, allegedly "encouraged" by the Council, and founded their own village, Nekomura, just north of the Ascarlin Mountains.  They were originally offered to live alongside the inhabitants of Motamo Docks, but declined, as they too not comfortable with the idea of living with small predators.  Under the Mancala accord, the Ps'isol Mages provided Nekomura with a smaller Isolon Eye for protection. However, Nekomura soon discovered that their Isolon Eye was a weak copy and had to be periodically recharged, which they must pay for with a tribute of food and supplies.  This felony only served to deepen the longstanding resentment between the two races, both inside and outside the two settlements.

Things became peaceful again, until 1977, when tensions between the Council and the Vishmitals began to increase over supreme leadership of the Isolon Fist.  The Isolon Fist was then splintered into two forces, the majority of the foot soldiers remaining loyal to the Vishmitals, and the Battlemages continuing to swear allegiance to the Council.  The two factions didn't engage directly until 1988, when open skirmishes between Vishmital soldiers and the Ps'isols' elite Battlemages began rocking the city streets.  Tensions quickly escalated to an all time high despite efforts by representatives of both parties to cool things down.  They eventually succeeded, reminding them not to repeat the same mistakes that caused the Great Destruction, but the rift between the Council and the Vishmitals remained huge.  In 1990, a Vishmital commander mysteriously vanished.  After a lengthy investigation, they caught the culprit, a Nemesis, who confessed that she ate the commander in his sleep.  Though she never officially revealed whose side she was on, the Vishmitals presumed her an assassin hired by the Council.  This sparked a new round of violence between the Vishmitals and the Council, and the cold war between the threatened to become hot.  However, two years later, a Vishmital outpost established in the Great Rock Fields was attacked and fell under control of Storm Sprites.  This unexpected turn of event dealt a huge blow to the Vishmitals' campaign in Negav, who then immediately began negotiating a truce and a new power-sharing accord with the Ps'isol Council.  The Council agreed to give the Vishmitals full authority over all matters concerning the military once more, but on the condition that the Council remained the supreme commanders of the Isolon Fist and retained veto power over their decisions.  The Vishmitals begrudgingly accepted, ending the cold war between Negav's two leading factions.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Negav; Fleshing it out   Negav; Fleshing it out - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Negav; Fleshing it out
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next