Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Negav - Lower Tier

Go down 
+10
Archmage_Bael
Karbo
Pendragon
Stabs
Ilceren
Bluehorizon
Scryangi
Shady Knight
tkh1304
Amaroq
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 5:56 pm

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I'm not intending to compete with your blueprint - quite the opposite. I probably didn't convey it, but I like how your article is written for the most part. It pains me a lot to say, but your attention to detail is far better than mine. I never would have come up with half of what you described in that one article than I would have if I had whole month to think. But despite this, there are spots in your rewrite I just don't like because they mention a core aspect of original article only in passing, and I just can't let it slide in good conscience. What I'm looking for is to find a middle ground where we can both be satisfied. The only reason I'm proposing to make a few edits myself is because it would be much faster than just saying what to change and where.

In short, to use your own words, I would like to ask you to be patient BEFORE you start assuming that I'm just throwing your article away and replacing it with my own.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Outdated wrote:
i am fine with you giving imput and telling me your opinion and ideas. I am just afraid you might want to either taake the article out of my hands and do it yourself, or you want to push the article into a direction that doesnt coexist with my ideas for the rest of the tiers.

So, feedback on potentially lacking parts is completely fine. It is to my own and everyone elses interest that the article becomes as good and precise as possible. I just dont like the idea of haaving the pen taken out of my hand before i am even done with presenting the full picture, which is why I intend to fix the most important imputs you (or others) might have on low tier now, and work on the middle and high tier a little faster (i had lots of notes written down baack then, but have to find them again on my laptop ^^') so expect some results regarding mid- and high tier this weekend or next week.

Like I said, your response just made me feel like you intend to take the pen out of my hand so to speak, because it seemed like you went over my response because you didnt answer to it but instead straight went to proposing to rewrite it. if thats not the case, i have no problem with your suggestion. Im a little paraanoid aabout that, its all.

tl:dr: I misunderstood your intention, sorry.

and dont mind the damn a-key doubletapping aall the time. i dont know how to fix that.

Edit: for all those who dont know, we talked now and solved our issues. Shady will come up with his change suggestions tomorrow and then we go from there.
Points for potential changes will be: Emphasis on adventurers, redo the bank, possibly go into more detail on jaslow arena and the great foundry.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2016 8:14 am

Alrighty, I did some edits to better emphasize the presence of adventurers in the Lower Tier. I also went ahead and fixed some typos because I'm sort of a stickler for that. Tell me what you think.

Edited Overview wrote:
The Lower Tier of Negav can be considered Negavs' outer ring. It spans between the giant wall and the inner wall, which separates this tier from the Middle Tier region and in times of crisis may even somewhat serve as part of Negav's defense for the better situated people living deeper inside the city, as the tight streets and alleyways form mazes that serve to confuse anyone unfamiliar with them, as well as natural chokepoints that make it impossible for large groups or creatures to traverse them safely.

As the name suggests, the Lower Tier consists mostly of people of a low to medium class standing, though in Felaryan terms, that is still a relatively good life. The outer walls and heavy defenses, not to mention the presence of the Isolon Eye, covering Negav and a large area around its walls, provide excellent protection against the dangers of the jungles, and grant what one would consider a relatively regimented life.

For the Negavian citizens, life quality is simple, but sufficient. Most citizens live in houses built from clay and Takrit, a stone that is being mined deep underneath in the Negavian quarries, and serves as Negav's main building material: Cheap and readily available, the dense sedimentary stone features a quality and properties mostly resembling that of sandstone. Even though brick buildings can frequently be seen, especially close to the inner wall, many more buildings of the poorest people are homes made of of less durable materials, such as wood, or even woven cloth. The poor district takes up the vast majority of official Negavian citizens, but due to the fact most buildings are little more than being squeezed in-between two others, streets are unorganized and buildings rarely have more than two floors, causing space to be a major problem, and homes to be relatively expensive, forcing many less fortunate people to live on the streets, or underground. Negavian Middle Tier merchants make a small fortune by buying houses and renting them to the poorer afterwards, leading to a hefty separation of luxury and income even in the outer ring, with parts of the city nearly falling apart with crime and neglect, while on the opposite side of the city hired guards patrol the street, checking on anyone that doesn't look like they belong to there.

The Lower Tier is frequently visited by virtually anyone who dares to set foot on this world via the Dimensional Gate just outside the city gates. Travelling merchants seeking to peddle their wares and adventurers who caught wind of Felarya's rumored treasures and wonders all find temporary residence in this Tier, and in some districts, it is believed that the number of outsiders often surpasses the number of actual Negavian citizens. Due to the fact that Negav's Lower Tier stands open to anyone that is able to endure the Isolon Eyes warding powers, it is notoriously overcrowded and busy during almost every time of day.

Norther Quarter Edited wrote:
The northern quarter is pretty much built around the victory gate and avenue of heroes, which leads to the middle- and higher tiers of Negav. Being the largest district, it stretches all the way from ascarlin gate in the west to mumansi gate in the east and takes up close to a third of Negav's low-tier space all by itself while barely housing a 13th of its population. It is focused on economy and military, housing both the largest amount of military barracks, as well as guilds, taverns, inns and even a tourism center. It is relatively safe and peaceful, with most "crime" being tavern brawls and occasional theft, but nothing city guards can't get under control. Most buildings have some sort of function revolving around travel or trade, with their owners usually living either in the floor above or in the basement underneath.

People living in the northern quarter rely on the large community of adventurers and explorers who meet and congregate here for their livelihood, with most shops there being designed to capitalize on them. During daytime, one may experience the thriving pulse of the city, merchants selling and buying everyday items alongside adventuring gear, survival packages and even some magical artifacts here and there. Small talk, laughter and appraising of wares is heard throughout the city landscape, an ever-noisy place especially the likes of nekos have to get used to first.

During nighttime, the outer ring lies in darkness with only the major streets being illuminated by magitech lamp posts, and light that shines through the windows of the many taverns and Inns that are still open during the late hours. The streets lie in relative silence, even though still a constant noise of blabbering can still be heard around the main roads.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 7:32 am

Uh, seeing how nobody else is responding, and I finally got some more time to work on the article, I'll just post now.

I am okay with the edits you, shady knight, made, i think theyre a good addition. Smile As a tip for the future, I would like to ask you to mark changes you made in a different colour or using bold text or something, because I had to read both texts parallel to eaach other just to notice the chaanges. ^^'
But yeah, if you're fine with the text you posted, then ill replace my parts with the edited version.

Okay, now for some other changes. I think I kinda went overboard with this one, but felaryan economy isnt something you just brush off in 3 sentences if one is supposed to know how it works exactly.

Old:
Quote :

Negavian Central bank:
Naturally, the real bank of Negav is not located in the lower tier of Negav, however, there is a small installation of it right where the Victory Gate leads onto the Avenue of Adventurers. Security is extreme, with the building literally pulsating of defensive magic. All attempts of bank robbery have failed to this point, and even the most ruthless cartells and gangs refrain from attacking the bank by now, even though some voices wisper that the bank itself is run or ínfluenced by at least one such cartell.
Most notably known for allowing people to store their valuable goods inside transdimensional saves and archives, the bank also serves as a place to exchange any currency into skevols. Through a complicated process that's being kept a well hidden secret, bank accounters are capable of determining the exact value of any currency, no matter how akward or abstract it might be, and exchange it into a reasonable equivalent of skevols, allowing trade to happen with off-worlders or even travelling merchants in the first place, seeing how Skevols are mainly only used around Negav itself.

New:
Unified Worlds Bank:
The Unified Worlds bank is one of a few bank organisations that have settled down in many worlds throughout the multiverse, all of which are connected via dimensional- or space travel and share frequently used connections revolving around trade or travel. Thus the Unified Worlds Bank (UWB for short) has several installations throughout Felarya, of which half a dozen are located within Negav. Naturally, the most important and most frequently used UWB installation is located pretty much right at the main entrance plaza, that leads from Victory Gate into the city, so that anyone that happens to survive the jungle (or dimensional transfer) and enters the city may lay their eyes upon this building.
The Unified Worlds Bank uses complicated (and for the most part, secret) methods to evaluate the worth of currencies and is caapable to exchange any currency they are aware of to a different currency. Obviously, the UWB exchange works best in worlds that they already have installations in, which is the overall point of its existance, however, they also try to identify both heritage and value of currency unknown to them as well and calculate exchange rates accordingly.
For Negav, this means that travellers or adventurers that reach the city with any kind of money they brought, they will be able to turn them into skevols of roughly the same value - and if theres something the bank wont aaccept as currency, they will be directed towards merchants that might be interested in that good. This process doesn't come without flaws though. Due to the sheer number of worlds and currencies, the UWB cannot possibly know every currency that exist, let alone people trying to fake money of any kind in order to enrich themselves. Evaaluating the worth of aa currency haappens slowly and over time, as any numbers printed on those currencies dont matter to the evaluaters, knowing fully well that most people would try to cheat on them if simply asked what the currencies imprint meant. So instead, the currency is first and foremost be given the worth of its inherent materials. Thus coins made of rare materials such as gold are the most easy to evaaluate, while money printed on paper or virtual currencies are, at first, worth next to nothing. However, this isnt the only process to evaluate the worth of a currency, as different factors play into its worth as well, such as the effort that was seemingly put into the production of a currency item and exchange rates of the unknown currency with a currency known to them. Even without a direct connection to a currencies homeworld, slowly, over time, the currencies recognized worth will come closer towards what it was meant to be.
Naaturally, the possible discrepancy between intended and locally recognized worth of a currency attracts a lot of disaagreement between the bank and some of its customers. Also, the expected riches of a bank that can trade severaal thousands of currencies in reasonable amount has led to legends of gigantic bank vaults full of any kind of money they can think of - and obviously, an unimaginable amount of skevols. This is why security in and around the bank is extreme, with the building literally pulsating of defensive magic and all valuable materials are in fact stored in entirely different dimensions, only a few million skevols are actually located within the negavian banks, to ensure a fluid exchange of money during times where dimensional travel or storage is not possible or too dangerous to access the otherworldly main vaults.

Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 5:02 pm

I was going to answer sooner, but then forumotion decided now was a good time to brick for a couple of hours.

Anyway, this is pretty much the currency exchange service I mentioned when I rewrote much of the main page, except now it has a name and a way it dictates how much what is worth. The idea of a pocket dimensions to store things makes sense assuming the organization is big enough. I assume that only the highest ranked executives are allowed to access said vaults.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

I thought pocket dimensions, or dimensional magic is very unstable. Would they have mages who would have had to hard-link it, or something? I can see how it'd make things incredibly secure, but I also feel like it could risk loosing the entire vault.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 5:31 pm

That is true. In fact, if you think about it, is the UWB a magic-based organization or is it a technological one who mastered interdimensional travel like the Vishmitals? If it's the former, then you could probably assume that some artifact is used as a tether to the pocket dimension, or they have a portal to an ultra-secure vault in another dimension. If the latter, then it could also be explained as an ultra-secure vault in another dimension, though that one probably doesn't owe its security to multiple layers of magic seals and whatnot.

Some ideas, mostly organizations like the UWB could use having their own standalone articles linked to their respective sub-articles to flesh them out without clogging other ones.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 4:58 am

Good job guys Smile your various updates make for something really solid now. I'll be writing the page shortly and then submit it here. Like I said it's likely to be trimmed out but not overly so.

Good job on the bank too. I like the idea of inter-dimensional vaults I imagine they might have some problem to access them in some cases since it's Felarya but I don't think it would be overly problematic if it acts as a supplement to vault physically in Felarya.

For the Arena, I'm fine with those changes. I do think it has to remain relatively violent , not just flashy. Negav is a rather harsh society and as such I can imagine some of their entertainment to be equally harsh as well.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 11:30 am

Shall we add a more detailed text for the great foundry in this article, or, which i would personally suggest, maake it its own article, since it seems to be some really mayor building?

Shady Knight also suggested giving Jaslow aarena a more in depth story, but i think thata would warrant its own article itself then.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 1:08 pm

The way I would do it personally is the same way wikipedia handles a lot of its articles, where some sections of an article will give a link to a main article that goes more in-depth with what the section is talking about as to keep page sizes reasonable and information relevant only to the article at hand.

For example, something like:

The Great Foundry

Main Article: <Link to the Great Foundry article>

<Description of the Great Foundry as it affects the Lower Tier>

Granted, something like this would only really be necessary for some articles given that this is still a fictitious universe and not detailing stuff from the real world like wikipedia does. Something really important like the Isolon Fist and the University of Magic; things that would require a lot of information to fully understand, but would be too big to be part of a bigger article.

As such, looking back, I'm not entirely certain the Jaslow Arena would need such a big article. It would be sort of nice, but I don't think it would really add anything. Just more of what we already know about it. Same with the Great Foundry, although in its case, just being part of the Lower Tier's article and having a detailed description of what it is and what goes on there would already be a huge improvement over nothing at all.

On that note, sort of a shameless plug, but I've thought of something else about law enforcement in Negav, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about it. If you got time, I would like to discuss about it in the chatbox.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 8:48 am

Alright for the overview and district part :

The lower tier of Negav can be considered Negavs' outer ring. It spans between the giant walls and the inner walls, which separates this tier from the middle tier region and in times of crisis may even somewhat serve as part of Negavs defense for the better situated people living deeper inside the city as the tight streets and alleyways form mazes that can confuse anyone unfamiliar with them, as well as natural choke-points that would make it impossible for large groups or creatures to traverse them safely.

As the name suggests, the lower tier consists mostly of people of a low to medium class standing, although in felaryan terms, that is still a relatively good life. The outer walls and heavy defenses, not to mention the presence of the [[Negav#The Isolon Eye|Isolon eye]], covering Negav and a large area around its walls, provide excellent protection against the dangers of the jungle, and grant what one would consider a relatively regimented life.

For the Negavian citizens, life quality is simple but sufficient. Most citizens live in houses built from clay and [[Mineralogy#Takrit|Takrit]], a stone that is being mined deep underneath in the Negavian quarries, and serves as Negav's main building material: Cheap and readily available, the dense sedimentary stone features a quality and properties mostly resembling that of sandstone. Even though brick buildings can frequently be seen, especially close to the inner walls, many homes are made of less durable materials, such as wood, or even woven cloth for the poorest ones.

Most buildings are squeezed in-between two others, and are typically tall and streets narrow as space has always been a major problem in Negav. The price of a home is relatively expensive, forcing many less fortunate people to live on the streets, or [[Negav's Underground|underground]]. Some of the negavian middle tier merchants make a small fortune by buying houses and renting them to the poorer afterwards, leading to a sharp separation of luxury and income even in the outer ring, with parts of the city nearly falling apart with crime and neglect, while on the opposite side of the city, hired guards patrol clean and tranquil street, checking on anyone that doesn't look like they belong to there.

The Lower Tier is frequently visited by virtually anyone who dares to set foot on Felarya via the [[Negav's surrounding area#Negav dimensional gate|dimensional gate]] just outside the city gates. Traveling merchants seeking to peddle their wares and adventurers who caught wind of Felarya's rumored treasures and wonders all find temporary residence in this Tier. In some districts, it is actually believed that the number of outsiders often surpasses the number of actual Negavian citizens. Due to the fact that Negav's Lower Tier stands open to anyone who is able to endure the Isolon Eyes warding powers, it is notoriously overcrowded

====Quarters ====

The lower tier can be divided into four general sections, with each of them having their own districts and population type and functionality within the city.

* The northern quarter is pretty much built around the Victory main gate and Avenue of heroes, which leads to the middle- and higher tiers of Negav. Being the largest district, it stretches all the way from Ascarlin Gate in the west to Mumansi Gate in the east and takes up close to a third of Negavs low-tier space all by itself while barely housing a 13th of its population. It is focused on economy and military, with both the largest amount of military barracks, as well as guilds, taverns, inns and even a tourism center. It is relatively safe and peaceful, with most of its crime being tavern brawls and occasional theft, but nothing city guards can't get under control. Most buildings have some sort of function revolving around travel or trade, with their owners usually living either in the floor above or in the basement underneath.

People living in the northern quarter rely on the large community of adventurers and explorers who meet and congregate here for their livelihood, and most shops are being designed to capitalize on them. During daytime, one may experience the thriving pulse of the city, merchants selling and buying everyday items alongside adventuring gear, survival packages and even some magical artifacts here and there. Small talk, laughter and appraising of wares is heard throughout the city landscape, an ever-noisy place the likes of [[nekos]] have to get used to first.

During nighttime, the outer ring lies in darkness with only the major streets being illuminated by magitech lamp posts, and light that shines through the windows of the many taverns and Inns that are still open during the late hours. The streets lie in relative silence, even though still a constant noise of blabbering can still be heard around the main roads.

* The western quarter, stretching from the Ascarlin Gate in the north to Red tail Gate in the west, is notable for being the poorest surface area to live in. A single military barrack was once built to keep the district and its many alleyways under control, but nowadays it is mostly guarded off and isolated from the rest of the town as constant attacks and harassment by local gangs and organizations have led to a de-facto loss of control over this part of the town. Being close to the traveling-heavy northern district, there are literally checkpoints one has to pass through to enter or leave this part of Negav, something that is otherwise only seen when moving one whole Tier up or down. In a way, the western district is a tier in itself, where disorder and lawlessness cannot be fought anymore, but merely contained.  For instance, the [[Negav#Transportation and Telecommunication|traveling gate]] of the district was disabled long ago as the rest of Negav was becoming wary of having some many criminals potentially at their doorsteps. The structure now stands derelict and covered in graffiti, a monument to the authorities' powerlessness to bring the area under control. The district is heavily connected to the underground of Negav, and it’s probably not a coincidence that the [[Negav's Underground#The Pit|Pit]], arguably the poorest area of all Negav, is situated roughly underneath its center.

The western district is the home of the poor and the destitute, as well as many criminals and unsavory people looking to escape the law. It also houses a higher density of non-humans beings than in other parts of the city. The streets are very dangerous and constant fights between gangs and law enforcers are a daily fact of life that has claimed countless victims on both sides and even more caught in the crossfire. Pretty much every block of the western district is under the control of a different cartel or gang, from small bands of several street thugs to large organized crime syndicates. There are secret pacts and invisible moving lines between them, often the only thing standing  between a tense peace and a bloody street war. Many of the smaller gangs have some kind of connections to bigger ones, and often operate with at least their tacit permission. A black market for all kinds of goods is thriving throughout the district and can be seen as its main economy. If you know the right person or the right door to knock on and you have the money, you can acquire virtually anything you need there.

* The southern quarter is located between Red tail Gate in the west and Mercenary Gate in the east. It houses the pumping heart of Negav's basic society, the common workers and townsfolk. It’s an industrious and busy district, where one can find everything a thriving city needs to exist in a moderate state of luxury, from common barbers, to shoemakers, clothiers and other manufacturers. Lot of small scale industries can be found here, especially when you move east, toward the great foundry. Located at and around mercenary lane, the industrial complex of Negav is relatively small compared to the town’s overall size. Magitech and thriving off-world trade as well as the necessity of safe living space caused Negav to have most of its goods coming from outside and the industries that are present in the city are cramped into rather small fabrication halls or underground. Still, the buildings looks larger than average with multiple floors but they house all necessary gear, machines and personal with remarkable efficiency. There are simply no wasted spaces there and every square has its use to ensure production of goods, mostly machinery and magitech furniture.

the industrial complex of Negav is the most well protected area in the lower Tier. Because of the Watchers’ gate proximity and in order to prevent sabotage of the city’s defenses, an entire military complex and numerous city guard stations were set up along the walls. They now serve mainly to protect the great foundry and the buildings nearby and to keep any unauthorized person away. The government enforces a tight net of controls to ensure a minimal amount of corruption and to prevent workers to try to make a living by supplying the western districts black markets. The entire area can be set on lock-down very fast, in case someone important is missing. In order to ensure a swift and efficient circulation of goods, the etire industrial complex was conveniently built around one of the [[Negav#Transportation and Telecommunication|traveling gate]].

Other than that, there are simple worker barracks built around, especially near the edges of the district. Living quarters are affordable for those with a reasonable employment and crime rates are kept in check, although slightly above average for low Tier Negav, mostly because of  the Cremona maze. It's a network of many narrow alleys, weathered building, twisted passages and tunnels. It's considered a dangerous and violent place where rival gangs frequently engage each others for the control of a street or a block. The city’s authorities are making a lot of efforts to cleanse the place of its crime but it remains persistent and, coming across the gruesome discovery of a corpse lying in the street in the morning, the result of two rival gangs settling scores during the night, is sadly not uncommon. Most negavians know better than to take a stroll in those dangerous alleys.

Life, however, is generally not too bad in the southern district. Many hard-working citizens manage to build prosperous lives and, outside of Cremona Maze, security is considered good. Entertainment to the common citizen is given in the form of small theaters and libraries featuring novels and fantasy literature from Felarya and other worlds, but the biggest place to entertain the masses is without a doubt the Jaslow arena. Located in the district with the most citizen of its tier, the arena is a magnet of everyday life entertainment and a lot of merchandise can be bought in or around the arena. Having enough bread and games, the people around the arena are for the most part satisfied, and are looked at with jealousy and ill-will by those who are fated to live in the misery of the neighboring western district.

* The eastern sector of Negav, set in-between Mumansi Gate in the north and the great foundry in the south, is almost a pure housing district where the better off citizens live in. It looks very similar to the middle tier, even though it naturally isn't as well protected nor as spacious. Many of the people living here tend to have good chances of eventually moving into the next tier. This section mostly contains everyday shops such as bakeries and clothiers, with little to no other industries. People living here can be considered lower middle class, who can afford their own homes, even though some shacks can be seen here and there. Guards regularly patrol the tranquil streets, especially on the southern end that borders poorest districts. They are comparatively highly paid and usually live in this district as well, causing them to be motivated enough to keep their streets clean. To most realistically thinking long term citizen, the eastern sector is what they want to call home eventually, and many of those that work in the western industrial complex sooner or later save up enough money to move to this place.

Does it looks ok to you ? I mainly reformulated some sentences and trimmed a little bit the entry but nothing drastic. It was really good as it stood ^^
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 03, 2016 11:06 am

Just fixing some typos, making long sentences a little shorter by splitting them in two so it flows a little better. Changes will be highlighted in bold. Some advice for the future, though. Lower, Middle and Higher Tier should be spelled with capital letters since they're important locations in Negav. Also, by mindful of how consistent something is spelled. I've spotted numerous instances where Lower Tier among other things were spelled with small letters in place, but capitalized in others, and it looks ugly.

Karbo wrote:
The Lower Tier of Negav can be considered Negavs' outer ring. It spans between the Great Wall and the inner walls, which separates this tier from the Middle Tier region. In times of crisis, it may even somewhat serve as part of Negav's defenses for the better situated people living deeper inside the city, as the tight streets and alleyways form mazes that can confuse anyone unfamiliar with them, as well as natural choke-points that would make it impossible for large groups or creatures to traverse them safely.

As the name suggests, the Lower Tier consists mostly of people of a low to medium class standing, although in Felaryan terms, that is still a relatively good life. The outer walls and heavy defenses, not to mention the presence of the [[Negav#The Isolon Eye|Isolon eye]], covering Negav and a large area around its walls, provide excellent protection against the dangers of the jungle, and grant what one would consider a relatively regimented life.

For the Negavian citizens, life quality is simple but sufficient. Most citizens live in houses built from clay and [[Mineralogy#Takrit|Takrit]], a stone that is being mined deep underneath in the Negavian quarries, and serves as Negav's main building material. Cheap and readily available, the dense sedimentary stone features a quality and properties mostly resembling that of sandstone. Even though brick buildings can frequently be seen, especially close to the inner walls, many homes are made of less durable materials, such as wood, or even woven cloth for the poorest ones.

Most buildings are squeezed in-between two others, and are typically tall and streets narrow as space has always been a major problem in Negav. The price of a home is relatively expensive, forcing many less fortunate people to live on the streets, or [[Negav's Underground|underground]]. Some of the Negavian Middle Tier merchants make a small fortune by buying houses and renting them to the poorer afterwards, leading to a sharp separation of luxury and income even in the outer ring, with parts of the city nearly falling apart with crime and neglect. On the opposite side of the city, hired guards patrol clean and tranquil street, checking on anyone that doesn't look like they belong to there.

The Lower Tier is frequently visited by virtually anyone who dares to set foot on Felarya via the [[Negav's surrounding area#Negav dimensional gate|Dimensional Gate]] just outside the city gates. Traveling merchants seeking to peddle their wares and adventurers who caught wind of Felarya's rumored treasures and wonders all find temporary residence in this Tier. In some districts, it is actually believed that the number of outsiders often surpasses the number of actual Negavian citizens. Due to the fact that Negav's Lower Tier stands open to anyone who is able to endure the Isolon Eyes warding powers, it is notoriously overcrowded

====Quarters ====

The Lower Tier can be divided into four general sections, with each of them having their own districts and population type and functionality within the city.

* The northern quarter is pretty much built around the Victory main gate and Avenue of Heroes, which leads to the Middle and Higher tiers of Negav. Being the largest district, it stretches all the way from Ascarlin Gate in the west to Mumansi Gate in the east and takes up close to a third of the Lower Tier's space all by itself while barely housing a 13th of its population. It is focused on economy and military, with both the largest amount of military barracks, as well as guilds, taverns, inns and even a tourism center. It is relatively safe and peaceful, with most of its crime being tavern brawls and occasional theft, but nothing city guards can't get under control. Most buildings have some sort of function revolving around travel or trade, with their owners usually living either in the floor above or in the basement underneath.

People living in the northern quarter rely on the large community of adventurers and explorers who meet and congregate here for their livelihood, and most shops are being designed to capitalize on them. During daytime, one may experience the thriving pulse of the city, merchants selling and buying everyday items alongside adventuring gear, survival packages and even some magical artifacts here and there. Small talk, laughter and appraising of wares is heard throughout the city landscape, an ever-noisy place the likes of [[nekos]] have to get used to first.

* The western quarter, stretching from the Ascarlin Gate in the north to Red tail Gate in the west, is notable for being the poorest surface area to live in. A single military barrack was once built to keep the district and its many alleyways under control, but nowadays it is mostly guarded off and isolated from the rest of the town as constant attacks and harassment by local gangs and organizations have led to a de-facto loss of control over this part of the town. Being close to the traffic-heavy northern district, there are literally checkpoints one has to pass through to enter or leave this part of Negav, something that is otherwise only seen when moving one whole Tier up or down. In a way, the western district is a Tier in itself, where disorder and lawlessness cannot be fought anymore, but merely contained.  For instance, the [[Negav#Transportation and Telecommunication|traveling gate]] of the district was disabled long ago as the rest of Negav was becoming wary of having so many criminals potentially at their doorsteps. The structure now stands derelict and covered in graffiti, a monument to the authorities' powerlessness to bring the area under control. The district is heavily connected to the underground of Negav, and it’s probably not a coincidence that the [[Negav's Underground#The Pit|Pit]], arguably the poorest area of all Negav, is situated roughly underneath its center.

The western district is the home of the poor and the destitute, as well as many criminals and unsavory people looking to escape the law. It also houses a higher density of non-human beings than in other parts of the city. The streets are very dangerous, and constant fights between gangs and law enforcers are a daily fact of life that has claimed countless victims on both sides, and even more caught in the crossfire. Pretty much every block of the western district is under the control of a different cartel or gang, from small bands of several street thugs to large organized crime syndicates. There are secret pacts and invisible moving lines between them, often the only thing standing between a tense peace and a bloody street war. Many of the smaller gangs have some kind of connections to bigger ones, and often operate with at least their tacit permission. A black market for all kinds of goods is thriving throughout the district and can be seen as its main economy. If you know the right person or the right door to knock on and you have the money, you can acquire virtually anything you need there.

* The southern quarter is located between Red Tail Gate in the west and Mercenary Gate in the east. It houses the pumping heart of Negav's basic society, the common workers and townsfolk. It’s an industrious and busy district, where one can find everything a thriving city needs to exist in a moderate state of luxury, from common barbers, to shoemakers, clothiers and other manufacturers. Lot of small scale industries can be found here, especially when you move east, toward the Great Foundry. Located at and around Mercenary Lane, the industrial complex of Negav is relatively small compared to the town’s overall size. Magitech and thriving off-world trade, as well as the necessity of safe living space caused Negav to have most of its goods coming from outside, and the industries that are present in the city are cramped into rather small fabrication halls or underground. Still, the buildings look larger than average with multiple floors, but they house all necessary gear, machines and personnel with remarkable efficiency. There is simply no wasted space there and every square inch(?) has its use to ensure production of goods, mostly machinery and magitech furniture.

The industrial complex of Negav is the most well protected area in the Lower Tier. Because of the Watchers’ Gate proximity and in order to prevent sabotage of the city’s defenses, an entire military complex and numerous city guard stations were set up along the walls. They now serve mainly to protect the Great Foundry and the buildings nearby and to keep any unauthorized person away. The government enforces a tight net of control to ensure a minimal amount of corruption and to prevent workers from trying to make a living by supplying the western district's black markets. The entire area can be set on lock-down very fast in case someone important is missing. In order to ensure a swift and efficient circulation of goods, the entire industrial complex was conveniently built around one of the [[Negav#Transportation and Telecommunication|traveling gate]].

Other than that, there are simple worker barracks built around, especially near the edges of the district. Living quarters are affordable for those with a reasonable employment and crime rates are kept in check, although slightly above average for the Lower Tier, mostly because of the Cremona Maze. It's a network of many narrow alleys, weathered buildings, twisted passages and tunnels. It's considered a dangerous and violent place where rival gangs frequently engage each others for the control of a street or a block. The city’s authorities are making a lot of efforts to cleanse the place of its crime, but it remains persistent, and coming across the gruesome discovery of a corpse lying in the street in the morning, the result of two rival gangs settling scores during the night, is sadly not uncommon. Most Negavians know better than to take a stroll in those dangerous alleys.

Life, however, is generally not too bad in the southern district. Many hard-working citizens manage to build prosperous lives and, outside of Cremona Maze, security is considered good. Entertainment to the common citizen is given in the form of small theaters and libraries featuring novels and fantasy literature from Felarya and other worlds. But the biggest place to entertain the masses is without a doubt the Jaslow arena. Located in the district with the most citizen of its Tier, the arena is a magnet of everyday life entertainment and a lot of merchandise can be bought in or around the arena. Having enough bread and games, the people around the arena are for the most part satisfied, and are looked at with jealousy and ill-will by those who are fated to live in the misery of the neighboring western district.

* The eastern sector of Negav, set in-between Mumansi Gate in the north and the Great Foundry in the south, is almost a pure housing district where the better off citizens live in. It looks very similar to the Middle Tier, even though it naturally isn't as well protected nor as spacious. Many of the people living here tend to have good chances of eventually moving into the next Tier. This section mostly contains everyday shops such as bakeries and clothiers, with little to no other industries. People living here can be considered lower middle class, who can afford their own homes, even though some shacks can be seen here and there. Guards regularly patrol the tranquil streets, especially on the southern end that borders poorest districts. They are comparatively highly paid and usually live in this district as well, causing them to be motivated enough to keep their streets clean. To most realistically thinking long term citizen, the eastern sector is what they want to call home eventually, and many of those that work in the southern(?) industrial complex sooner or later save up enough money to move to this place.

I put a (?) next to two corrections because I'm not entirely sure if they were wrong or not. The first one, which talks about machinery in the southern quarter's buildings, I wasn't entirely sure if it was a case of a missing word. I added inch because it looked like it was talking about how there is no wasted space to maximize the output of good.

The other one, about people moving to the eastern sector, it was a little ambiguous whether or not it was talking about people living in the dilapidated west sector, or the south sector. Since it mentioned an industrial complex, I assumed it meant the southern quarters. If I ended up being off the mark, feel free to correct them.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 04, 2016 6:53 am

Alright thank you
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

Twasnt a bad edit, Shady. It was comprehensive and emersive at the same time. But I think you forgot to link to the Negav Academy of Science. Not your fault really as I only remembered it existed because I was using my offline Negav map to look at which areas you were describing and I noticed it tucked in neat the west side.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 7:21 am

Jedi, the Academy of Science is in the MIDDLE Tier.  This is about the LOWER Tier.  You need only to look at the map here to find out.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 12:05 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
Jedi, the Academy of Science is in the MIDDLE Tier.  This is about the LOWER Tier.  You need only to look at the map here to find out.

Oh oops! XD My bad. I forgot to look at the the wall placement to keep track of my position as my eye was wondering over the map. ^^;;
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 10:24 am

A picture I'm doing that fits well the subject ^^  ( It's a WIP for now )

Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 StreetWIP2%20copy
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 09, 2016 7:29 pm

Karbo wrote:
A picture I'm doing that fits well the subject ^^  ( It's a WIP for now )

Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 StreetWIP2%20copy

Yes! You did more work on it! =D I love that pic, along with anything you do with Negav considering how it's pure fantasy fuel for me and helps me write more Ascarlin Circle Chronicles, Clare's Quest and more~ ^-^
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 1:35 am

Ehhhr I am okay with the rewritten entry, though I am not so sure why you made the changes / hefty cuts to the industrial complex and the individual points of interests are missing entirely.

Also, what the heck is the [[Negav#Transportation and Telecommunication|traveling gate]] ??? Watchers Gate?

So under the assumption, that the individual locations are being added the way they were written as well, i'd accept the version you presented.

As for the picture:
Sandstone coloured theme - check.
Narrow streets and space issues - check.
Crowded with diverse species - check.

I would try to make clear that this is one of the more prestigious areas of Negavs lower tier though, because of the tall buildings and the many banners, probably a place from the trading districtt in the north, or the better situated east district. I would even say its probably more likely to be seen in the eastern part. I'd be uncomfortable to call the look and "feel" of the picture as of right now to be really "typical" for all of poor Negav.
I think you would do well to add a lot of wear and tear to the banners and wooden framework of the houses, making sure they dont look like theyre in the best condition, but without making it look too rundown. So give the banners "cheaper" colours (beige, many shades of brown, green, yellow) and have then roughed out at the edges, and the wood might be splintered and cracked at some spots, other spots maybe replaced or roughly patched up. The roof in front could be slightly damaged and have discoloured spots (stemming from rainfall) as well. Dont forget to add some mortar puddles on some walls, where people tried to fill damaged walls with material that doesnt look perfectly the same. Im trying to say, try to make it look good and luxurious at first glance, but with flaws and a somewhat dirty look if you have a second glance. The same will go for peoples clothing. Try to add wear down around the edges of their clothing. Nothing too extreme, people usually try to look decent, but here and there a guy with a patched cloak. Possibly some pickpocket in the background?
The whole point is that the poor district should either look miserable full stop (western district), or pretty poor (southern and northern district), or try to look awesome (northern or eastern district), but fail to do so in the details, other than middle tier thats nicely built AND more kept in well shape and condition. The tall buildings and many banners imply that this is a main street too. Also the larger buildings with banners in the background look a little too close to me. Try to add some more distance to that, possibly by decreasing detail size, increasing the natural fog and adding the inner walls as line-of-sight-blockade.
The guards should not wear too many details. theyre from lower district as well, not that well paid, but they should have some distinction that should carry over to all city guards, such as an emblem or a general style of uniform. So the lower tier guards look in slightly worse condition (gear, wear and tear, no fancy uniform) but still like a real negavian city guard (as in even in higher district such a guard would be noticed, recognized and (hopefully) respected.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 5:25 am

Well, Amaroq, if you had actually read the rewritten main entry I wrote a while back, you would know what the traveling gates are. The short version is that they're miniature gates like the dimensional gate that people use to quickly go from one district to another, as the streets are too narrow and crowded for conventional public transportation, and traveling from one end of the city on foot is obviously out of the question.

The long version, along with everything else, can be found there: http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Negav
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 6:17 am

Shady Knight wrote:
Well, Amaroq, if you had actually read the rewritten main entry I wrote a while back, you would know what the traveling gates are.  The short version is that they're miniature gates like the dimensional gate that people use to quickly go from one district to another, as the streets are too narrow and crowded for conventional public transportation, and traveling from one end of the city on foot is obviously out of the question.

The long version, along with everything else, can be found there: http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Negav

Oh yeah those guys! Been a while since I've seen them discussed again. Personally I both love them and, being a user of vehicles allot, loathe them for making my dream of a car chase through Negav a dead one. But then again there's always Eidolon Barges, Jet Bikes and the like right? Not quite the sane but alas Negav's streets are too narrow for anything else. Besides teleporters are awesome as public transport.......as long as you aren't a car salesman who's landed in Negav XD

Wait...where do the Nogdongs and Wagons offload their cargo? At mini gates outside the city? Is there a system to get imported materials into the idustrustrial sector?
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 7:01 am

Shady Knight wrote:
Well, Amaroq, if you had actually read the rewritten main entry I wrote a while back
I did read it, also a while back, but apparently couldnt remember all the details. Then just while typing my comment i actually skimmed over that article you linked again, but failed to see the "Transportation and Telecommunication" subtitle that was mentioned in the link, so I assumed that it didnt exist in the article. Doublechecking it now I saw it was there, but back then i overlooked it. That can happen. The word "actually" in your post made your response relatively rude though. A simple reminder would have been enough, I thought we'd be working together on this project?
Aside from that detail, thanks for the clarification, it helped me a lot. I'll try to implement those gates in the middle and higher tier somehow. For the lower tier it makes sense for them to be scarce or not be there at all safe for that one thats apparently in the industrial complex (or some close to the main gates inside and outside of town).
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 8:15 am

Ok thank you for the suggestions ^^ Indeed for the picture I'll make it a little less clean in the end.
Also I didn't included the individual locations here but they are going to be added yes.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 9:57 am

About the design for something that identifies a person as a member of the police, I went with a star, like a sheriff's star, featuring an open eye and the initials N.P.D. in my story. Not very original, I know, but originality has never been one of my strong suits.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2016 11:06 am

Shady Knight wrote:
About the design for something that identifies a person as a member of the police, I went with a star, like a sheriff's star, featuring an open eye and the initials N.P.D. in my story.  Not very original, I know, but originality has never been one of my strong suits.

*Slaps Shady* Quit lying! You are original. Your style if story telling is the most unique out of all us writers. Now you aren't an innovator of astounding new ideas like Bael,Stabs or some others it's true, but you are a great writer that I personally consider at least as good as Prinny and French Snack.

Now as for the N.P.D's looks I agree with the simple star with a glaring eye and the NPD likely in Myxheli runes like Karbo did on 'Three I Tell Ya' pic with the Fumac bottle. As for the uniform itself I've always seen a combination the Negavian flag's colors of green and beige. Green robes with beige leather armor with green accents at least for Footmen. as for Officers and Higherups likely would be more green over coats in a para military style. Like FMA.

In a diddition I'd stipulate that the only standard equipment would be a utility belt and a weapon harness. As for stadard issue weapons my Stalang cause it's part magical projectile part baton but I'd add that unique weapons that suit each patrolman/patrol woman's unique skill set. The armor can be changed out for custom sets as long as one has obtained a mid level rank and adds a badge to somewhere on it. IE: Sean would wear it on his scarf and thus be allowed to wear his favorite shiny set of Knight's gear.

I would like to state in the article thpugh that the standard set I'd designed with a thin lining of Aldevite mesh to increase jumping range and agility as I think that would be paramount since most criminals rum rather than fight and in Negav you could end up chasing a neko burglar over some rooftops.

At least that's how I'd write it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Lower Tier   Negav - Lower Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Negav - Lower Tier
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next