Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Magic in Felarya

Go down 
+5
Lockheed X-17
Bluehorizon
Stabs
Shady Knight
ac2
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

How should magic work in Felarya?
Circle, Combine
Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Circle, Don't Combine
 0% [ 0 ]
Unique, Combine
Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Vote_lcap17%Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Unique, Don't Combine
Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Vote_lcap83%Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 83% [ 5 ]
Tree, Combine
 0% [ 0 ]
Tree, Don't Combine
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
ac2
Naga food

Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya   Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 7:16 am

Ffoulkes wrote:

tl;dr I agree with most others; generalization of magic systems is nearly always the better route - particularly in scenarios where technology is also involved...and honestly Felarya already falls short of generalizing it's magic systems in quite a few ways by limiting the systems prematurely with 'unique' style points and catering to people's ideas of their own mixed-definition systems that warble along unused much like the rest of the universe. Hardline rules for magic systems is best left for GMs / gaming / RPing where you need a consistency factor. Felarya's adaptation methodology for the allowance of external idea invasion is fairly prohibitive to development of cohesive systems.

What you just said makes a strong point, a complicated magic system will confuse most newcomers. Though I tend to think of magic not following the basic of physics and nature. It's called magic for a reason.

Take size shifting, it completely brakes the square-cube law. And I quote from xkcd What if #77, "..our bones would be too thin to support our weight and our hearts would be unable to pump blood around our bodies...to breathe in a lungful of air would require very high airflow rates; we'd experience tornado winds all the way down our airways.

If some tech guy was to copy this, people would likely die.

Heh, this just started with me just trying to find out what element beats what, only to go into detail about the whole magic system. I know about the whole magic system of grouping like magic styles, but elementals seem to be a different magic themselves. Spirits that live in a material or energy source and then take on the abilities of that...doesn't that differ from what magic styles we have now?
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya   Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 7:46 am

The magic involved in elementals is, under present cathegorizations, innate magic, ac2.

As for size-shifting, while the square-cube law might seem impressive, from a physics standpoint, 400 tons of meat appearing inside a finger-sized bug without it exploding in the process is much stranger.
Back to top Go down
ac2
Naga food

PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya   Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 7:53 am

Stabs wrote:
The magic involved in elementals is, under present cathegorizations, innate magic, ac2.

As for size-shifting, while the square-cube law might seem impressive, from a physics standpoint, 400 tons of meat appearing inside a finger-sized bug without it exploding in the process is much stranger.

Interesting...going to work that, but are those with innate magic only mate with other innate magic users, such as fairy elemental hybrids?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magic in Felarya   Magic in Felarya - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magic in Felarya
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2