Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felaryan Calendar

Go down 
+10
Lockheed X-17
Bluehorizon
Gamma
Thywolf
Ilceren
Nyaha
XionGaTaosenai
Archmage_Bael
DarkOne
Shady Knight
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 9:22 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Though I am getting tired of this back and forth.

What exactly were you expecting from this conversation? Not trying to be sarcastic, just a tad confused how you could have possibly had foreseen it going any other way.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
It makes no sense to me - its why I said that there should be 4 month long full harvest cycles, a harvest cycle would be one whole "season" and one is too short, so it'd be 'three' since it is divisible with 12.)

I think this makes more sense than the 12 plants thing, though that leaves the question of why Negavians settled for 3 seasons.

Though that could tie in with your Mythos thread, a folklore story that explains the origin of the three seasons perhaps?

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
Though I am getting tired of this back and forth.

What exactly were you expecting from this conversation? Not trying to be sarcastic, just a tad confused how you could have possibly had foreseen it going any other way.

Archmage_Bael wrote:
It makes no sense to me - its why I said that there should be 4 month long full harvest cycles, a harvest cycle would be one whole "season" and one is too short, so it'd be 'three' since it is divisible with 12.)

I think this makes more sense than the 12 plants thing, though that leaves the question of why Negavians settled for 3 seasons.

Though that could tie in with your Mythos thread, a folklore story that explains the origin of the three seasons perhaps?

Ah it was going so well in the beginning. :V

As for the three, well...one season or two is too short, three seems better, but yes we could have a myth about it if we want to. No harm in that certainly.
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:04 am

Not to self-promote, but the Navroze mountains have 3 continuous seasons that circle throughout the region. Perhaps a connection could be made between those and Negav's? Of course, Navroze's seasons last for only about two months in any particular area of the mountains, so each season would occur twice a year accoring to the Elven calendar. I'm kind of ignorantly throwing an idea out here, so feel free to disregard this. XD

But not this part. After looking over your current write up of the Elven calendar, there are a few things I'd like to point out. First, it says that it has "been modified and changed around" since the Elves used it. But your write up doesn't give much insight into by whom or how. It does go on to say that some of the months' names have been changed, but it doesn't say whether that was the only thing that's been changed or not. It just comes off kind of vague, and also, I don't think we ever discussed the calendar having undergone any changes since the Elven Empire fell, so maybe that one sentence before mentioning the name changes isn't actually necessary?

Second, it doesn't actually say in the article why it's important. It does say that "the Elven Empire set the precedent for many things from their current time - one of which is how they measure time itself", which is a start, but I think it needs a little more detail as to how. It should mention some things that we discussed in this thread, like that it was put into use when the Elven Empire dominated most of the main continent, and that most societies came to use it for simplicty of trade with the Empire, even if they also had their own calendars, and that it's still in use today because so many different places use it that it's become basically the standard.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 11:25 am

Heh. The three seasons fit with my own Elven calendar, which was divided in three as well. One for seeding, one for growth (which was longer than the other two) and one for harvest. It used trees, but could use any other plant you guys like.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 6:03 am

Okay I'm working on the names.

To come back on the multiplicity of calendars though, I don't see that as a problem. I mean yes there are several calendars in different regions but we don't necessarily have to mention them. They can be just some cultural traits of a group /race /city that is here but is not really relevant outside of that sphere.
The one that really matters would be the Negav one, largely inspired by the elven one.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 8:38 am

Going with names derived from elven deity names

Temolian  :  Temolin

Sermidian  : Sermidin

Araxiad : Araxion

Rendregad : Dregadil

Shiwo : Shiwin

Atimielle : Atim

Thatalia :  Tatal

Fealanthia : Felantil

Norowina : Norowune

Orchomenos : Orchemin

Margadan : Margil

Zetur : Zeturin

it's a first try at it for now. What do you think of it ? ^^
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 am

They sound sufficiently exotic to me. I like 'em. Smile Is there already information on all these deities on the wiki, or are all these just things that have been floating around in your head for a while?
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 11:33 am

to make it easier for people to understand, i recommend changing the names up a little, and maybe make each month start with a different letter of the alphabet in the correct order, such as:

Araxid,
Boshiwo,
Cargadan,
Dregadil,
Eturin,
Fealanthia,
and so on...

This still sounds exotic, but gives people an easier time understanding which month is when, without really loosing anything, unless of course you already had a concept you based the names on!?
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 4:08 pm

Oh, I think that's a good idea! We know which month comes after which in real life from it being normalized in our lives. Trying to memorize a fictional setting's months' order won't be nearly as intuitive. I like the idea of having there be something inherent to the naming scheme to help order them, and putting them in alphabetical order would do that in a very simple way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2016 6:49 pm

Those sound really good.

Deities can be used in the beginning, but have other characters who were important prop up. Maybe one for one of the rulers, or that Dridder (Chani?), maybe a month named after King Serrakmos ? etc. Largely keeping the month names there minus a couple small differences.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 3:52 pm

I approve of those names and I also agree with Amaroq's idea of listing them in alphabetical order to make it easier to remember which month is the first and which one is the last.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Nyaha wrote:
Oh, I think that's a good idea! We know which month comes after which in real life from it being normalized in our lives.

*Looks away in shame* Actually I...er....don't always know what month it is or what time without my phone. >////> I .....just feel no true passage of time in my head. It's like my internal clock is missing. If I didn't have a phone or Calendar I think I'd live in limbo. Still I agree with A-B-C Months! Kinda wish I our Calendar went that way. Probably would be easier. Heh.......*Slinks away*
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 3:06 am

Nyaha wrote:
They sound sufficiently exotic to me. I like 'em. Smile Is there already information on all these deities on the wiki, or are all these just things that have been floating around in your head for a while?

Well Rendregad, Orchomenos, Fealanthia an Margadan were from a list of deities I brainstormed a while ago for the elven Pantheon, the others ones I created on the go ) ^^
I didn't put them on the wiki as they had only basic traits but maybe we could expand on them.

As for the months I'm open to any suggestions if you want to take that list and change a bit the names to make them sound better, although I'm not really for putting them in alphabetical order ^^; Sure it's more handy but it feels perhaps a little too ordered ?
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 4:43 am

Karbo wrote:
I'm not really for putting them in alphabetical order  ^^;  Sure it's more handy but it feels perhaps a little too ordered ?
That vvas the entire point of my suggestion. To put them in easily understood order so people have an easier time remembering them / knovving vvhat month it vvould correspond to in real life. Of course, if you dont like it as it feels too artificial, vvhich it obviously is, then ignore the suggestion.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Karbo wrote:
although I'm not really for putting them in alphabetical order  ^^;  Sure it's more handy but it feels perhaps a little too ordered ?

A fair concern, but this might be one of those situations where you as an author may need to sacrifice some believability in favour of user-friendliness. ^^; As long as we're subtle about it, doing so shouldn't quite break the willful suspension of disbelief. It might be worth putting to a vote in the community, though, and see whether more people agree or disagree with having them in alphabetical order. Just a though.

I can also see you having a problem with it now that you've already come up with names that you like, too, which I would also understand. It's hard to come up with things like that, and even harder to be asked to put them aside in favour of something else. Sad That I can sympathize with, although I would recommend trying to look past that if that's something you're feeling.

...Actually, I just realized something. Bael's description on the previous page mentions one of the things we've been discussing, which is that over time, the names of at least some the months, if not all of them, have been changed over time after the fall of the Elven Empire, using names that hold more meaning to whatever group held the most influence at the time. O.o With that in mind, it doesn't actually make sense for them all to be named after figures in the Elven pantheon, does it?
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 4:57 pm

As long as the names aren't all just following each other closely, then the alphabetical order doesn't really stand out that much. Say, first name starting with a C instead of an A, then the next is an E, a H, J, M, N, maybe two starting by P, and so on and so forth. It seems ordered to us who know the trick, but for people that just read the names for the first time, it might not be so.

Nyaha wrote:
over time, the names of at least some the months, if not all of them, have been changed over time after the fall of the Elven Empire, using names that hold more meaning to whatever group held the most influence at the time.
Glad you pointed that out Nyan, I thought no one had read it.
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 6:28 pm

I'm kind of with karbo on this one in saying that it's too structured or artificial. I mean are we really going to be that user friendly? Like really? when it doesn't need to be.

Ilceren wrote:
Say, first name starting with a C instead of an A, then the next is an E, a H, J, M, N, maybe two starting by P, and so on and so forth. It seems ordered to us who know the trick, but for people that just read the names for the first time, it might not be so.

Then that wouldn't be alphabetical, that would be a pattern using the alphabet. I'm also with the idea of using 10 units instead of twelve for the sake of somewhat uniqueness.
Back to top Go down
http://sovietkroshka.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 6:53 pm

I think we should go with the ABC order personally because if you ask somebody today, even with us having a grid made world map, they likely can't find where the Tolmeshal is. -_-; So many I've dealt with doing that. Karbo makes Felarya much easier to navigate but all that happens is you end up hearing is "Oh I haven't bothered to read the wiki or any of the sources! Ha ha ha!" terminator How I wish to extermi-I mean educate the lot of them. <.< But yeah I say ABC because it's easier to follow for beginners and it would be unique. I've never seen in another universe.
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2016 7:07 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
But yeah I say ABC because it's easier to follow for beginners and it would be unique. I've never seen in another universe

Lol the only reason you don't see that in universes again is because it's so easily structured, Yeah it's easy for beginners but we aren't exactly making a videogame here where the interface demands for it. We're making a world when it comes to fiction you don't make it easy for the reader you try to make it simple yet complex so the person can understand it but it doesn't have to relate to simple order of letters. Honestly i don't think people are that dumb if they cared to tried to investigate the calendar anyways, they just choose not to because of tldr and personal thing like their own causes of how they structure things mentally.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2016 9:39 pm

The Elder Scrolls universe doesn't order them alphabetically, we don't in the real world either, I see no reason why we should. Making it easier for for people is just a presumption, but even if it weren't, it doesn't make much sense to be developed like that. The only time it was ever ordered was when the Roman Empire named them "month one, month two" etc.

Honestly I'm with Karbo on this one ^^;
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 2:42 am

We could have simular sounding months grouped together, kinda like ours do (September-October-November-December) But other than that I think having them alphabetically would feel too contrived.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 3:13 am

That is because of what Bael said about the Romans naming the months numerically, Darky. But yeah, it could be a start. Maybe have groups of months that have a similar theme (as in the realms of influence of the gods), or a similar sounding/written as Dark suggested. Maybe with the additions or name changing of months, there can be a group of elven gods followed by a group of Neko chieftains and finally a group of Human rulers.

Bluehorizon wrote:
Then that wouldn't be alphabetical, that would be a pattern using the alphabet. I'm also with the idea of using 10 units instead of twelve for the sake of somewhat uniqueness.
Lols Blue. It is alphabetical, as in, sorted alphabetically. I just meant for it to be less obvious, just like if you took a handful of real world names and ordered them alphabetically, you wouldn't get ABCDEFG, there'd be holes.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 9:27 am

So are we going to vote on what names we think sound better? I think this was all a critique of Karbo's idea, yes? Should I just take some names and plug 'em in? Or stare at owl cats? angel

Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 1065304886

#noshame
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 9:31 am

Wow that is a really cute post Bael xD. *Wipes her head from being distracted*

Lol by all means go ahead, though i must say go ahead bael, if you have a feel for it just do it =)

Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 11:18 am

Thanks! I'll try to get to it later today after work.

Edit: aaaaaand several days later.

Karbo wrote:
Going with names derived from elven deity names

Temolian  :  Temolin

Sermidian  : Sermidin

Araxiad : Araxion

Rendregad : Dregadil

Shiwo : Shiwin

Atimielle : Atim

Thatalia :  Tatal

Fealanthia : Felantil

Norowina : Norowune

Orchomenos : Orchemin

Margadan : Margil

Zetur : Zeturin

it's a first try at it for now. What do you think of it ? ^^

Maybe we could add a suffix at the end which translates to "the time of", to denote the month fixture. Such as:

Temolyne
Sermidyne
Araxadyne
Rendregyne
Shiw'yne (removing the latter vowel and putting an apostraphe since it sounds too awkward)
Atimillyne
Thatalyne
Felanathyne
Norowyne
Orchomenyne
Margadyne
Zeturyne

Where "-yne" represents "the time of". This could be the initial Elven calendar when it was first created. The name Thatal slightly reminds me of the Pantheon Gods.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felaryan Calendar   Felaryan Calendar - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felaryan Calendar
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next