Antarioch WIP

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Antarioch WIP   Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:41 am

A speedpainting I did on the realm of Antarioch Smile

it's only a work in progress right now but I'm quite happy with how it looks so far. Lava is always fun to do ^^
Also the entry on the wiki is a bit ridiculous right now...  it just tells very little of the place besides the fact fire succubi use it as a vacation spot ^^;  So I'm going to post an idea of update soon.

View user profile http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:35 am

I think you know this already, but may as well be honest. In its current form, the picture is quite bare. There really isn't much that's particularly eye-catching aside from that volcano erupting in the background. Even then, it lacks impact overall. Not only that, but the colors are quite drab. I would be under the impression would be bright because of all the lava around. Even for a Fire Succubus, this doesn't look very much like a vacation spot. I think it could also use more hellish fauna to spruce things up a bit, like a flying, bestial demon flying in the sky in the background. Also, drawing more succubi to really hammer in that it's sort of a vacation spot for them, cause only two doesn't really convey that feeling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:24 pm

The things that come in mind are Faldhatée's palace, a kind of Inn with lava bath or maybe a seaside resort.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:32 am

Very nice. I like the barren aspect, actually. It makes it atmospheric.

What are the floating things? Animals?

Water-Nebula
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:38 pm

I don't really know how to judge this. A lot of things normally considered flaws could very well be intentional in this art. I do like the colors. They really bring out the fiery and barren aspect of this place. At any rate, it's probably too early to judge. Keep it up!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:27 am

Lava is only glowy near the eruption point, and only in flashy ones at that. If it's the kind of eruption that lava just drips out of the crater, then it's not gonna glow much. Even in a hot environment like hell, lava cools down quite fast, and goes into the dark oranges and reds pretty fast. So maybe the volcano itself should have a brighter lava colour, but the rest looks good to me.

It's fun how this made me do a couple hours of make-sure-you're-not-saying-stupid-shit research and I ended up wondering how trustworthy the images the search turned up were. I suspect image editing and colour adjusting everywhere ¬.¬
But anyway, if you need ideas to add to the lava-themed hell, you may find this interesting: https://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-80/album.html

Also, just for the lulz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5MDnkV8DZA

Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:57 am

Hahaha cooking steaks with lava, now that's pretty neat stuff XD
And thanks for the link ! some really interesting picture here, this is going to be helpful Smile

Thank you for your feedbacks people Razz

Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:59 am

French snack wrote:

What are the floating things? Animals?

yes ^^ it's not very defined for now but I do plan on continuing this one and also to give Antarioch a fauna of its own.

Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 pm

I see color swiggles and stuff Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:52 am

Here is a WIP on the description of Antarioch :

Antarioch is best described as an immense sea of lava, swept by scorching winds and tornados made of flames under a blazing sky.

In some places, the ambient temperature is high enough to liquefy iron, and stepping into a portal to Antarioch could very well be your last mistake, if you aren't prepared with some very solid protections against the extreme heat. such a magical protection is granted to damned souls unfortunate enough to enter this realm. However, while it’s just enough to make them able to survive the heat, it does little to not make it choking and unbearable. Describing the environment of Antarioch as "hostile" would be a big understatement, just like saying that plunging your hand into boiling water is "not very pleasant ».

Countless small islands can be seen drifting away, carried by the fiery ocean but several stable continents of various sizes form Antarioch's main landmass. The realm is divided in several regions.

*In Maglios, the sea of lava progressively gives way to a vast bubbling swamp made of hills of ashes, smoking pits, toxic emanations and a dark and heavy liquid that looks like a sort of non-evaporating water. During the steamy season, visibility is very low in Maglios and the already hazardous bog becomes even more treacherous and deadly. The area is roamed by moeglons, gigantic creatures resembling a grotesque mix between armored flat worms and squids. Those lumbering titans are rather slow and predictable but in the cover of the fog they can become a danger to even succubi, who usually prefer to stay clear of this desolate region entirely.

*Incanthya is a fiery forest, made of an odd fire-resistant vegetation. Many plants of the forest either feed on fire or ignite themselves, propagating fire to nearby foliage and turning in an instant the quiet forest into a blazing inferno in a fascinating choregraphy of flames. Beautiful fiery gardens can be founds scattered across the region, carefully tended by their owner. The gardens ignite themselves following intricate and complex patterns, creating an hypnotizing spectacle enjoyed by many demons.

*Next to Incanthya stands the city of Asphelos and in its center the majestic Pyrevium, the palace and seat of power of Queen Faldhatée, ruler of Antarioch. Like most others cities in Antarioch, the buildings of Asphelos are typically made of obsidian and hardened magma. It’s a thriving and busy center, inhabited by all manners of fire-based creatures. In order to welcome outsiders coming from other realms, the heat in the city is maintained at a more bearable temperature, although the Pyrevium, on the other hand, remains just as hot as the inside of a volcano.

*Ozden is the most geologically active area of Antarioch, dotted with volcanos and criss-crossed by rivers of liquid fire. Rains off falling rocks, embers and ashes are common place, making the zone rather hazardous, even for fire demons, and scarcely populated as a result. However it’s also the place where fire succubi deem the lava to be « the best ». They built many bath houses to take advantage of it. Those spots are an absolute blast among fire succubi who adore a good lava bath and believe it’s healthy, revitalizing and good for their skin.

*The ground of Antarioch is comprised of a layer of frequent underground crystal caves, including right under the lava sea. Lava drip from many small crevices on the ceiling above or erupt from subterranean pocket of magma. Those caves are the hottest places in all Antarioch, due to the unique shape of the realm. Indeed Antarioch is actually a hollow sphere floating into a larger sphere of magma. what seems to be a glowing sky is actually lava seen from very far away.

Please tell me what you think about it ^^

gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:46 pm

That's pretty good
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:02 pm

The idea of Antarioch being a hollow sphere of magma is very creative and gives a bit of a twist on the "Fire and Brimstone" depiction of Hell. Nicely done, that. The various regions each have their unique flavor that paints the picture of a diverse landscape.

The idea of a toxic bog sitting next to a volcanic region is quite neat, even if it does mirror the Ixtapal Marshes sitting next to the Pyrale Mountains. That said, I have a hard time picturing Incanthya in my mind's eye. All I see is essentially a giant forest fire that never dies. That doesn't seem very interesting to me. What it lacks is a defining feature, a creature or plant that better help define the place, like the mogleons for Maglios or the lava bath houses, which are most definitely not lava onsens, for Ozden.

Personally, I think Alephos and the Pyrevium should be given separate paragraphs given that one is, from what the description implies, the capital city on Antarioch, and the seat of power. For instance, how does the Pyrevium look from the outside and from the inside? Is it surrounded by an enormous moat of boiling red-hot magma? Cause I seem to recall reading that somewhere in the wiki. Is the palace easily accessible to the general populace? What is the name of its order of knights/defenders? Has the place been attacked/sieged/ransacked in recent memory? It's worth going into more details.

As for the ground, the mention of those crystal caves intrigue me. Could it be that those caves are a place where damned souls are sent to mine as part of their punishment, and they must endure suffocating heat all while performing what is undoubtedly back-breaking labor? Furthermore, do those crystals hold any special power given that, one, this is Hell, and two, the extreme volcanic activity that goes on in Antarioch would affect them in some capacity? I believe this could go a long way to make Antarioch more than just "the fire realm" of Hell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Water-Nebula
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:04 pm

So is Antarioch supposed to be the polar opposite to Pazamal? One is a floating sphere of lava for fire demons, the other is a floating sphere of water for water angels
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:19 am

Thank you for the ideas, lot of interesting questions here Smile

Water-Nebula Actually I didn't do it in purpose but yeah I suppose they could be seen as opposite ^^

French snack

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:21 am

Nothing very specific to say, but I like those ideas. Particularly the concept of carefully controlled fire gardens, with "fire shows" for entertainment and artistic effect.

Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:13 am

Here is how the picture looks so far ^^ I might add some kind of building toward the right part and define a bit more the foreground I think.

Water-Nebula
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:58 pm

Ooh I like the detail. The comets in the sky, the occasional splashes of lava, and of course the colors are amazing as well
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antarioch WIP   

Back to top Go down

Antarioch WIP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion-
Jump to: