Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )

Go down 
+9
Ilceren
Shady Knight
Amaroq
jedi-explorer
Archmage_Bael
Stabs
Karbo
Vaderaz
dragon808tr
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ilceren
Ilceren

Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 6:47 pm

Karbo wrote:
EDIT: ok I just found out another cons of Wikia.  Site protection is apparently very lax. For a wiki to even get access to features such as preventing new page to be created, the wiki has to have suffered attacks already ( http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Protect_site ). Not sure I want to go with that any more.
It's not that the site protection is very lax, but that the whole meaning of a Wiki is that anybody can edit it. The biggest obstacle to editing in most wikis is being a registered user, nothing more. The way the main Felarya wiki is wouldn't really be called a wiki, but an online encyclopedia as it is maintained by a handful of people.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2017 2:51 am

Karbo wrote:

EDIT: ok I just found out another cons of Wikia.  Site protection is apparently very lax. For a wiki to even get access to features such as preventing new page to be created, the wiki has to have suffered attacks already ( http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Protect_site ). Not sure I want to go with that any more.

If they allow page creations by unregistered users, or if they allow anyone to create an account without admin approval, then I would avoid it, if I were you.

Years ago, I was a moderator on a wiki for a particular online universe, and we mods spent a lot of time deleting spam pages. People kept creating pages simply to link to commercial websites, which had nothing to do with the theme of the wiki.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 1:22 pm

French snack wrote:

Years ago, I was a moderator on a wiki for a particular online universe, and we mods spent a lot of time deleting spam pages. People kept creating pages simply to link to commercial websites, which had nothing to do with the theme of the wiki.

Sort of an obvious problem which leads me to wonder why they allow this sort of thing?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2017 1:28 pm

I believe Ilceren already answered that question.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 10:29 am

All I see is talk talk talk. Always talking, debating, process of intentions and so on. It's boring to follow.

Keep the Felarya Wiki as the official wiki, it's totally fine. But that Wikia thing... I think it'll be a marvelous experience. No need to post new ideas in here where no one will see except a handful who either don't give a shit or don't have time to read. Just set that wikia up, for fuck's sake! Seriously, what is it that we have to lose? SERIOUSLY? At first, Karbo was open but then... "There is a misunderstanding here ^^; I wrote open for editing. creating new pages just like that definitely would be disabled otherwise it would become completely unmanageable." This. This angers me beyond imagination. Let me put this straight: "Ehh... I'll create a wikia where everyone can edit, yay! Oh but, ehhh... oh no, no one shall create a new page, it'll be too hard to manage..."

Then don't do it and stop messing with us. You wanna be conservative? Fine, don't do it. That wikia, I think, is the best bridge to solve a years old debate with this community, which is the damn official wiki is way too restrictive and does not invite creative minds to be a part of the process. That wikia, at least, even if non-canon, would allow fans to attach their ideas with already existing ones, and witness how it fits with the rest of this universe. I can't see one single con concerning this project, but the pros, on the other hand, are limitless. And it's all for fun. I think so many people forget about it was supposed to be FUN. Look around this place. Where the fuck has the fun gone? I don't even know why I come back here anymore cause it's so boring. Before, it was all fun and intriguing, but now everything is gray, dreary, morose, dead. This wikia thing, although irrelevant to the main topic (official wiki down), is the best idea that came up here for months!

Look around you, Karbo. Everything is going down. There's a huge, huge drop in quality and quantity concerning submissions on the felarya group on dA. No one ever come here anymore, except irreductibles, and we all know who they are: a core of merely a dozen names. Nope, nothing. Oh yes, I forgot: the only felaryan thing that still grows is... your patreon page. It kinda says it all. For once, there was a nice project at hand... [Mod edited]. Gosh. Esti de tabarnak.

Last edited by Krisexy26 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 am

Don't post while you're irritated, Kris. And edit your post to remove the personal attack (you know what I mean), or else I'll do it for you.

Last edited by French snack on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vaderaz
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
Vaderaz

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 12:19 pm

If having the main wiki open was a problem before , I definitly think this is a golden occasion to try and see how this could go without having too much to worry about.

Sure, while we can all agree that the whole idea of having an open wiki can go either ways (between having people help and develop ideas further more, or trolls spaming in random pages) , I think the possible “pros” really outweight the “cons” , since this will be a secondary wiki anyways.

If we just, lets say, declare this wiki as some sort of “ beta” free environment where people can edit, add and improve articles of any sort, and where if anything is particulary good and fitting, could potentially be transfered it to the orginal wiki, some people may be interested to take a look and writte a little in there.

If it works, we have an extra area promoting developing the universe where anyone is welcome to participate … and if its really doesn't work … well , at least there would be the benefit to know that it has been tried. The original wiki wouldn't have lost anything in the process, so it's definitly worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
http://vaderaz.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Ok let's calm down please.

Quote :
"There is a misunderstanding here ^^; I wrote open for editing. creating new pages just like that definitely would be disabled otherwise it would become completely unmanageable." This. This angers me beyond imagination. Let me put this straight: "Ehh... I'll create a wikia where everyone can edit, yay! Oh but, ehhh... oh no, no one shall create a new page, it'll be too hard to manage..."

Well, yes, not being able to stop new pages being created is indeed a big problem. It means you could open the wiki and suddenly see 80 new pages created with links to a pharmaceutical product or online assurances. You delete them and they come back the day after. Or everyone and their grandma putting their OC up. That's a mess to manage.

I'm not dismissing the idea yet at this point, still thinking on it.
but If we are to go with it it will needs a set of precise rules as well as several dedicated mods to oversee it.
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm

While I can see the pros, I'm a little worried about fracturing the community even more than it already is. Would it be possible to somehow combine the ease-of-access and openness of a normal wiki with the control of the current wiki? I'm not sure how well the current software would support it, but perhaps make a two-tier system on one wiki; the upper tier is the Felaryan Encyclopedia, which would be the current wiki, complete with page controls and restricted editing, and the lower tier would be Provisional Logs, which would act like a current wiki. This can be for OCs, theorycrafting, open worldbuilding, and such; we might even try moving some of the forum boards over into the wiki discussion sections. Material could be promoted to the main encyclopedia from the provisional logs at moderator discretion, or simply stay provisional. The benefit of all this complexity is that we're keeping one website for both parts of the community; a problem I see right now is a disconnect between the forum community, the dA community, and the Patreon community, to the point that we've basically all been referring to them as separate communities as a matter of course. I think it would be beneficial to try to add functionality in an existing community area before adding new areas.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 9:58 am

If only we could link the ability to create pages to something a bit more secure, without fracturing the community. Perhaps we could appoint a group of judges who oversee who's allowed to edit and who isn't?

I don't mind being locked out of wiki editing, since I don't have much to contribute to it right now. if it meant a more secure wiki, I'm all for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )   Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again ) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Felarya Wiki Down! (ED : UP again )
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2