Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:04 pm

If I were to make a game based on Felarya would anyone even play it? If I were to make one it would be a multiplayer game(Yah ik not very specific).


Last edited by SilentForest on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1819
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:31 pm

First of all, welcome be to the forums.


Second, if you make it, people will play it.

Srsly, though, you should think twice about what you're getting into. You've told us nothing but "multiplayer", SF. What are you gonna make the game with?

If you wanna use Gamemaker Studio, I'm willing to help ya, even with the parts I don't understand yet. But for multiplayer, you might want to look into Unreal, Unity, or Construct. Which one are you looking at? Are you planning on making everything on C by yourself? Have you ever coded, are you gonna have the time?

I'm saying, because if you wanna make a videogame, that's hard stuff. I thought I'd finish my game in a couple months... seven months ago. So, I'd like to know more about your project.

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jedi-explorer
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 29
Location : Fantasy Land ^_^

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Ha ha ha! Well I'd be happy to play even a demo of a game based on Felarya but I will warn you it's tricky to do. If you're really set on it I'd make a map based one small sector (IE square of the map) and see if you can ever get that done cause Felarya is always expanding. It'd take a life time to map it even close unless you used the same method Prey's Maze used where the background changed to reflect each unique part of the jungle but didn't actually claim to be any in particular.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:09 pm

I wouldn't be able to make a full scale map of felarya ofc. I'm thinking I might just generate it randomly. It would be a html5 game for ease of use. I can do it as long as I have art.


Last edited by SilentForest on Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:15 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
Ha ha ha! Well I'd be happy to play even a demo of a game based on Felarya but I will warn you it's tricky to do. If you're really set on it I'd make a map based one small sector (IE square of the map) and see if you can ever get that done cause Felarya is always expanding. It'd take a life time to map it even close unless you used the same method Prey's Maze used where the background changed to reflect each unique part of the jungle but didn't actually claim to be any in particular.
Yah I wouldn't be making a full scale map.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Stabs wrote:
First of all, welcome be to the forums.


Second, if you make it, people will play it.

Srsly, though, you should think twice about what you're getting into. You've told us nothing but "multiplayer", SF. What are you gonna make the game with?

If you wanna use Gamemaker Studio, I'm willing to help ya, even with the parts I don't understand yet. But for multiplayer, you might want to look into Unreal, Unity, or Construct. Which one are you looking at? Are you planning on making everything on C by yourself? Have you ever coded, are you gonna have the time?

I'm saying, because if you wanna make a videogame, that's hard stuff. I thought I'd finish my game in a couple months... seven months ago. So, I'd like to know more about your project.
It will take a while and I would probably release an early version and just keep updating it from there. I'm thinking about making it a html5 game for ease of use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 132
Join date : 2015-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:50 pm

I'd be interested, both in playing and helping you make the game (I've done beta testing for small games before, though I'll admit I have no experience with HTML5). First, though, I think you need to flesh out your concept. "Multiplayer" isn't even a genre, it's a single feature. What kind of game are you trying to make? What general tone are you looking for? What kind of experience are you trying to give the player? If we don't flesh these out at the beginning, the game's not going to fit together properly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
avatar

Posts : 4010
Join date : 2009-05-05
Age : 29
Location : Shatterock Caldera

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Many people have wanted to make games, but few have ever succeeded. Seliky's Story comes to mind, but that's all. I believe Amaroq is still working on one, but if you want to give it a go, then please do. Any Felarya games are welcome, I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=614917399 Online
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Idk If I were to make some game, I doubt many people would play it. So it would probably go to waste.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1819
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:43 pm

SilentForest wrote:
Idk If I were to make some game, I doubt many people would play it. So it would probably go to waste.

XD

With that attitude, you shouldn't make anything at all. If you think people not playing it makes it a waste, don't even bother- it has to be something which you'd love no matter what, otherwise, it will never, ever be worth it.

It has to be something you love creating.

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
avatar

Posts : 132
Join date : 2015-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:14 am

SilentForest wrote:
Idk If I were to make some game, I doubt many people would play it. So it would probably go to waste.
That doesn't seem to be the answer people are giving in this thread. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jedi-explorer
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1378
Join date : 2011-12-06
Age : 29
Location : Fantasy Land ^_^

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm

You know it might just be that I've worked with RPG maker for close to 13 years talking, or it might be seeing that RPG Maker MV has plugins AND videos of how to use them free for viewing anytime, but something in me despises when people say "I can't make that, it's too hard!" -.- Seriously?! You all have it so easy with these new engines that nobody has the excuse to not at least try. Take RM Tsukuru (The first 2003 Pirate) I had to work with that and it was buggy as all get out and we had no instructions unless we went to forum like Charas or Ultima Island or something to talk to real people who didn't always know what they are talking about, or how to put in in normal people non-coddist speak! Will it take allot of time? YES! Most projects on average take around a month (at shortest) to a year or two. I spent 9 learning cause I kept trying to outsource the codding or get around it myself but then come two years ago? I finished one. Did I have team helping me? Yes. Could I have done it without them? Ehhh...probably not. Does that mean every project should have professional team? NO!!! You. Can. Do. This. Buckle down and give it a real college try, or step aside son cause nobody is gonna do it for you BUT you.

Another free piece of advice from a real game Maker: Quit thinking you'll become the next 3D wizkid to make a Felarya Skyrim type thing. -.-;; 3D is awesome but EXPEEEEENSSSIIIIVE. You would be lucky if you managed to make something as cool as 'Vore Quest'. Honestly I think String Fountain has the best idea using a visual novel with multiple endings and such. A bit ambitious to do this as webcomic mayhaps, but then again Homestuck did and they are still praised to this day.

But seriously, Forest, if you want to do it? Then do it but can the ambitious stuff till you can at least code a room or two and make it run without walking off the screen. >///>; *Is haunted by that life lesson every day* Code the 'stop walking when key is released' before you do the walk system. ^_-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
avatar

Posts : 461
Join date : 2008-07-19
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi there.

Id say its no overstatement to say 99% of all fanmade games actually fail due to the developer underestimating the amount of work or them loosing their drive to finish the project. Thats why you have to know exactly what youre getting into.

Time:
I am actively working on two felarya video games right now, both run in RPG maker VX ace. The main project is a story driven JRPG thats supposed to be very much like the good old SNES games. It is pretty far in development and about 40% complete in total with everything important set in plaace and only content such as levels and graphics and cutscenes missing. I have put more than two thousand hours into this project thus far, and am not even halfway done. You are looking at an estimated time of 6.000 hours of development.

The side project is a point & Click adventure / Puzzle game in very early development that has little more than the working engine (which is the hardest part but by far not the most time consuming).

Art Ressources:
my only REAL issues, and that may strike some as odd, are graphics. Mostly, Texture packs, because while Felarya is an XXL-world, there are basically no XXL ressources, and since many elements would be multi-tile constructions, one would either have to deal with tons of VERY repetitive maps, an overall tiny gaame, or excessive amounts of artwork to draw AND it would barely compatible with any stock graphics.

So what I am doing now is I use mostly stock stuff, add selfmade sprites and battlers and all the things that need to be Felarya-esque and then hope to convince the player it IS felarya even when the places look somewhat normal sized in scale. Its not perfect but due to it being a one-man project and a pretty long game in the end, what can you reasonably expect me to do?

Scripting:
You need to be able to script and somewhat KNOW how what you want to achieve must work for it to actually work. You need to plan ahead a LOT, and be ready to completely throw stuff you spent hours on, out the window on a whim no matter how hard it was to make it, if you find out it doesnt add much to the game in the end.

Programming:
Almost like scripting, but i put this under a different point because at least if you try to accomplish very specific things, theres a great chance you wont find a premade script for it on the internet. Are you ready to learn enough about a prograamming languaage to actually be able to write your own code, besides the limited options you geet from with in many game making engines?

Doing the unfun stuff:
Most of the time, people have aan idea, a storyline and characters worked out, and now need artists to create the content for their game. Having the idea and the story is the most fun, engaging and interesting part. What you REALLY need to follow through is allllll the bad stuff, the long stuff that takes ages to do. And damn, drawing a lot DOES take ages, and so does producing music or writing the really GOOD dialogues where every word is "perfect".

Test test test test:
Test your stuff aand you will always find room for improvement. Also test it months or years later and see if your opinion changed. Me, i recently playtested my game for the 20th time from the very beginning and noticed the game becomes too hard too quickly, so i had to rebalance EVERYTHING from a very early point. I did realize I played a non optimized build and failed to use meat as the HP ressource I originally prograammed it for and relied on potions only, BUT.... thats what an inexperienced player might do as well. As a game developer though you start to play your game a specific way the way its intended to work and you tend to rush parts you replayed billions of times before, but maybe never under circumstance X.

Motivation and a REAL drive to finish the game.
Face it. Nobody really cares if you are going to finish your project. People give a shit about you. Itll take you YEARS to complete the game. You could have so much more fun doing other stuff, and by the time youre done, your game probably feels outdated, old and boring to yourself. Are you REALLY ready to spend so much time on the game, knowing all this? And, are you ready to release it the way it is? Aare you ready to spend more time making ressources for the game you might not even use than actually working on the game itself?
Trust me, particularly Felarya is a very shitty game to make here because almost all ressources you could use either dont exist yet or have to be modified very heavily to fit the theme of the setting. How much are you willing to balance compromises and workload against each other? Most people who are ambitious go the "no compromise, max quality" route, but soon realize youd need a whole game studio for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Gamma wrote:
SilentForest wrote:
Idk If I were to make some game, I doubt many people would play it. So it would probably go to waste.
That doesn't seem to be the answer people are giving in this thread. Razz
Well it would need like 5 people to play at all times to be able to run. Which I doubt this community is big enough to support XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Amaroq wrote:
Hi there.

Id say its no overstatement to say 99% of all fanmade games actually fail due to the developer underestimating the amount of work or them loosing their drive to finish the project. Thats why you have to know exactly what youre getting into.

Time:
I am actively working on two felarya video games right now, both run in RPG maker VX ace. The main project is a story driven JRPG thats supposed to be very much like the good old SNES games. It is pretty far in development and about 40% complete in total with everything important set in plaace and only content such as levels and graphics and cutscenes missing. I have put more than two thousand hours into this project thus far, and am not even halfway done. You are looking at an estimated time of 6.000 hours of development.

The side project is a point & Click adventure / Puzzle game in very early development that has little more than the working engine (which is the hardest part but by far not the most time consuming).

Art Ressources:
my only REAL issues, and that may strike some as odd, are graphics. Mostly, Texture packs, because while Felarya is an XXL-world, there are basically no XXL ressources, and since many elements would be multi-tile constructions, one would either have to deal with tons of VERY repetitive maps, an overall tiny gaame, or excessive amounts of artwork to draw AND it would barely compatible with any stock graphics.

So what I am doing now is I use mostly stock stuff, add selfmade sprites and battlers and all the things that need to be Felarya-esque and then hope to convince the player it IS felarya even when the places look somewhat normal sized in scale. Its not perfect but due to it being a one-man project and a pretty long game in the end, what can you reasonably expect me to do?

Scripting:
You need to be able to script and somewhat KNOW how what you want to achieve must work for it to actually work. You need to plan ahead a LOT, and be ready to completely throw stuff you spent hours on, out the window on a whim no matter how hard it was to make it, if you find out it doesnt add much to the game in the end.

Programming:
Almost like scripting, but i put this under a different point because at least if you try to accomplish very specific things, theres a great chance you wont find a premade script for it on the internet. Are you ready to learn enough about a prograamming languaage to actually be able to write your own code, besides the limited options you geet from with in many game making engines?

Doing the unfun stuff:
Most of the time, people have aan idea, a storyline and characters worked out, and now need artists to create the content for their game. Having the idea and the story is the most fun, engaging and interesting part. What you REALLY need to follow through is allllll the bad stuff, the long stuff that takes ages to do. And damn, drawing a lot DOES take ages, and so does producing music or writing the really GOOD dialogues where every word is "perfect".

Test test test test:
Test your stuff aand you will always find room for improvement. Also test it months or years later and see if your opinion changed. Me, i recently playtested my game for the 20th time from the very beginning and noticed the game becomes too hard too quickly, so i had to rebalance EVERYTHING from a very early point. I did realize I played a non optimized build and failed to use meat as the HP ressource I originally prograammed it for and relied on potions only, BUT.... thats what an inexperienced player might do as well. As a game developer though you start to play your game a specific way the way its intended to work and you tend to rush parts you replayed billions of times before, but maybe never under circumstance X.

Motivation and a REAL drive to finish the game.
Face it. Nobody really cares if you are going to finish your project. People give a shit about you. Itll take you YEARS to complete the game. You could have so much more fun doing other stuff, and by the time youre done, your game probably feels outdated, old and boring to yourself. Are you REALLY ready to spend so much time on the game, knowing all this? And, are you ready to release it the way it is? Aare you ready to spend more time making ressources for the game you might not even use than actually working on the game itself?
Trust me, particularly Felarya is a very shitty game to make here because almost all ressources you could use either dont exist yet or have to be modified very heavily to fit the theme of the setting. How much are you willing to balance compromises and workload against each other? Most people who are ambitious go the "no compromise, max quality" route, but soon realize youd need a whole game studio for that.
I was thinking of a small project nothing massive like what you are doing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
avatar

Posts : 461
Join date : 2008-07-19
Age : 29

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Well then ignore everything I posted because the scope of the game suuuuuuuure makes all the arguments i gave you redundant.

I was about to recommend you to watch some youtube channels such as Yandere Dev, who is making a rather low scale RPG and makes a weekly update video about it for SEVERAL YEARS by now, but since my advice doesnt matter because you want to make a smaller game, who am I to tell you any advice, right?

You know what, I dont even care about your idea anymore. With a mindset like yours, you. will. fail.

Have fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
SilentForest
Tasty morsel


Posts : 9
Join date : 2017-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 am

Amaroq wrote:
Well then ignore everything I posted because the scope of the game suuuuuuuure makes all the arguments i gave you redundant.

I was about to recommend you to watch some youtube channels such as Yandere Dev, who is making a rather low scale RPG and makes a weekly update video about it for SEVERAL YEARS by now, but since my advice doesnt matter because you want to make a smaller game, who am I to tell you any advice, right?

You know what, I dont even care about your idea anymore. With a mindset like yours, you. will. fail.

Have fun.
Well fuck you to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stabs
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1819
Join date : 2009-10-15
Age : 27
Location : The Coil, Miragia

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:22 am

OK, this thread seems to have already have hosted all the productive discussion it would.

In view of the flames and insults, I am locking this thread. Let me remind you both that the forum is intended for civil discussion.

_________________
Fais que ton rÍve soit plus long que la nuit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?   

Back to top Go down
 
Anyone Interested in a game based on Felarya?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Debut film based on Madeleine McCann and Josef Fritzl cases
» 8 M?I TH? V? GAME POKEMON
» iOS Game: Star Wars Force Collection
» Shogi Flash game
» Roleplay Game

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: