Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kelerm take 2

Go down 
+7
Veseere
gwadahunter2222
jedi-explorer
felarya_refugee
Shady Knight
Archmage_Bael
Karbo
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 2:19 pm

Hmm... I think a more tense relationship between Kelermites and Sand Mermaids would be better, since I feel having even a somewhat friendly relationship to be kind of boring when we have other places with a good relationship with giants. It would be more interesting in my opinion if there was sort of an active conflict between humans and giant instead of merely being implied like everywhere else. Maybe Kelermites and Sand Mermaids are locked into a turf war, each with their own territories, and there's a single neutral zone where people from either race can meet and agree not to attack one another. There could be representatives from both factions meeting somewhat regularly there.

On rule, this is something that I've been musing with about Negav recently, and I'm fairly certain I was once opposed to it and have since changed my mind, but given the tiered layout of the city, I figured that maybe mages would be the ruling class of the city.  After all, magiocrat is portmanteau of "magic" and "aristocrat", it only makes sense for the ruling class to be wizards.  So the majority of the mages there would be the rich elites with the money to afford the courses to become mages.  Meanwhile common folks have to save up over several years just to take the basic classes, hence why most choose not to even bother.  Some people with amazing talent for magic, however, could enter by recommendation.  In fact, a certain spy faction in Negav could also be tasked with scouting those talents for the Isolon Fist.

I know this has nothing to do with Kelerm, but I figured overt class inequality could be a recurring element of Felarya.  What do you think?

As for clothing, I recommend doing some research on old Arabic clothing. Basically, long, loose linen robes along with some kind of loose head, or even face cover  After all, Arabians designed their clothes to protect them from the desert heat, so having a fantasy desert-dwelling culture having similar elements to their clothes only makes sense.

As for distinguishing geomancers from peasants, I was thinking more tattoos, to be honest.  We don't have enough mages wearing tattoos in Felarya, and that's terrible.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2018 4:54 am

Ok good point on the sand mermaids. maybe some sort of grudgingly respect between the two instead.

Quote :
I know this has nothing to do with Kelerm, but I figured overt class inequality could be a recurring element of Felarya.  What do you think?

That's a really interesting idea I think; I especially like the group scouting for talents. This make al lot of sense and would give more importance to the university of Magic. Nice one ^^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2018 11:14 am

Shady Knight wrote:
 Maybe Kelermites and Sand Mermaids are locked into a turf war

In fact, a certain spy faction in Negav could also be tasked with scouting those talents for the Isolon Fist.

As for clothing, I recommend doing some research on old Arabic clothing.

As for distinguishing geomancers from peasants, I was thinking more tattoos, to be honest.  We don't have enough mages wearing tattoos in Felarya, and that's terrible.

I agree!

A tenuous peace at best between the two. No open conflicts, more like...the occasional fortunate opportunity. I'm sure a few geomancers wind up in bellies.

A Spy faction going to Kelerm. I imagine on that aspect we'd need to dream up some good methods of instant communication, magic style. Spies settling as a small organization from Negav, I imagine Kelerm probably doesn't know much about them, or cares, but Negav would like some good geomancers on their team I imagine. Magic that alters the ground itself is probably really hard to master.

Class inequality. Class inequality I think happens by default, as you have people who hoard resources more than others to show off their status. It just depends to what degree you want to show this?

Yes, Mages with tattoos. Wholly approve. Doit.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2018 2:28 pm

That's... not what I had in mind concerning the spy faction. In your defense, that one's entirely on me - I had an idea concerning Negav's ruling being almost exclusively mages, but it wasn't a big enough of an idea to make a whole thread about, so I just dropped it here instead. My bad

What I had in mind wasn't Negavian spies going to Kelerm to recruit promising geomancers into their ranks. Tempting as it would be, the logistics of traveling all the way across the continent and through the desert, back and forth, just to bring a couple of up and coming magic users who specialize in a specific field of magic into your ranks probably isn't the best use of their time and resources in my opinion. Rather, they scout out talents in Negav, most probably young commoners, and use whatever means necessary to have them join the Isolon Fist since they want their battlemages to be made up of the best of the best. Pretty much, the Saidakins, only they're not loyal to one person in particular.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2018 4:08 pm

That's true, it is a logistical problem, or rather, just a really long period of travel. Introducing some kind of magical warp ability probably would just add more questions than answers, too. Even if its a localized variation on "gate travel".

In that other case then, that just sounds plausible. It might take a while to recruit people though, they'd have to be good at gathering rumors and finding people who probably have natural talent potent enough to actually cause problems. Find the most dangerous unstable kids and recruit them, focus their abilities for the betterment of the Isolon Fist.
Back to top Go down
ozymindas
Helpless prey
ozymindas

PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 am

I Ozymindias offer a humble contribution to the mightiness that is Kelerm, one of the better new ideas from Felarya in years and so I also shall give it my best idea:

Earth-Surfing. Geomancers are a people who draw their power from the dirt,sand and dust and transform it from a mild nuisance on your boots to a massive swirling sandstorm and while that is admittedly admirable it is not the true extent of what a Geomancer can do. The true power in Felarya, much like any Civilization game or real tiem strategy game, lies in the ability to gather resources to fortify your land and either conquest or ally with others. Kelerm Geomancers have an enormous advantage if we look at their abilities. Say you needed to get a convoy from the jungle carrying wood and other exotic materials to the artisans of Kelerm. How would you do it? Reply and I shall tell you why you are incorrect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kelerm take 2   Kelerm take 2 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kelerm take 2
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3