Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Negav - Middle Tier

Go down 
+6
Shady Knight
Karbo
tkh1304
felarya_refugee
jedi-explorer
Amaroq
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

Negav - Middle Tier - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Negav - Middle Tier   Negav - Middle Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 04, 2017 1:50 pm

[quote="Gamma" That said, Negav is host to a mismash of cultures and tech levels.  We also have to look at it not as it is, but also as it was.  The Isolon Fist hasn't always been roughly Cold War-era tech with magic enchantments, after all. [/quote]

The Isolon Fist is a group of highly trained battlemages, and if anything, the tech level would be irrelevant. As far as I know Negav as a whole is just barely pre-industrial, that is, it'd be on the borderline, ready to advance to an industrial revolution. However, there being magic and enchantments all over the place makes any approximation of tech level irrelevant, until we come up with a way to classify tech levels in a society that heavily relies on magic.

Magic can help mimic electricity in a society that doesn't really have electricity, such as a "mage light" enchantment trapped in an orb hanging from the rafter of a building. Most lights in Negav use a small Mazhir fragment as a rechargeable battery. This kind of function wasn't available in the early 19th century. Since many modern conveniences can be replicated with magic, and medical practices boosted due to the nature of Felarya, as I said, tech level is irrelevant.

What COULD be a subject of interest, however, is coming up with a classification for magic-based society progression. The kinds of things society learns, develops and integrates with when it comes to magic and technology. It would depend on what we judge to be more advanced, and require more learning, and what specifically makes a magic society advanced or primitive?

Those questions would need to be answered if anyone is curious about debating this. If we do, we could label each tribe or civilization in terms of, say "Tier IV arcane society" or whatever. Could be interesting.
Edit:
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Middle Tier   Negav - Middle Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 am

why do you guys insist on making things so difficult for yourselves?
Back to top Go down
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Middle Tier   Negav - Middle Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 3:51 pm

DarkOne wrote:
why do you guys insist on making things so difficult for yourselves?
Because it's no fun otherwise!

That said, I think tech level, or an analogous magitek level, does matter; I don't recall seeing any solid information on it, but from what I gather magic is, while a commonplace sight, not something that the average citizen of Negav knows, and even the commonplace corner store mage is a far cry from the skilled graduate of Isolon University. The average citizen is a lot more likely to turn to a pre-made magitek solution than to cast a spell themselves.

And ultimately, I think that makes classifying a city like Negav quite similar to a purely technological society. In many ways, technology and magitek parallel each other as tools capable of performing tasks; for example, a lightning-powered train still runs on rails and carries cargo and people from place to place. A true, purely magic society would be one where for whatever reason magic has to be cast by a mage every single time anything magic is used (and even then, if magic was commonplace enough you'd likely see mundane tools designed to interface with magic supplied by the user every use). Looking at Negav, I'd say it's likely late industrial on a tech/magitek scale; there exists mass-production of magitek, large factories in the Lower Tier where unskilled workers labor to run machines that produce goods, and reasonably complex infrastructure. Telecommunication via magitek exists but has yet to be implemented at a scale and price accessible by normal citizens. To compare to Earth, I'd expect that magitek gives Negav a level of roughly turn-of-the-century (the twentieth, not twenty-first) for the average citizen. This is, of course, not counting Vishmital or other scarce off-world technology, individual mage prowess, and more regulated weapons tech.

Speaking of the latter, I stand by my assertion that in general, Nevagian weapons tech is generally at a roughly Cold War level in terms of operational concepts, with organizations that can afford it using magic to enhance, but generally not change the basic concept of, the weapon's capabilities. Of course, you also have the assortment of various more primitive weapons still in use by adventurers, though I personally haven't seen much use of non-magical pre-industrial weapons by groups with access to Negavian markets in fiction.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Middle Tier   Negav - Middle Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I was thinking of Negav's general technology level, that is if one doesn't count the Vishmitals and most of the military hardware used by the Isolon Fist, to be closer to technology in the 1700s and 1800s, given that Karbo seems to go with the idea that swords and plate armor is still quite prevalent, and the Great Foundry being the only real major industry.

That being said, though, I have to defer to Dark on this one, and I only had to endure third degree burns to my hands to type this. Let's focus on getting Negav finished and updated, whenever that will be, first, and then worry about making a scale for magitek societies in general afterward. Just so we don't get sidetracked too much.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Negav - Middle Tier   Negav - Middle Tier - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Negav - Middle Tier
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4