Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed

Go down 
+5
Gamma
Shady Knight
Amaroq
Amethyst
jedi-explorer
9 posters

Do you think this will do good?
Yes
One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Vote_lcap58%One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Vote_rcap
 58% [ 7 ]
No
One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Vote_lcap42%One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Vote_rcap
 42% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Empty
PostSubject: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 11:51 am

It was a simple, pure idea that Karbo hatched ages ago. Keep Felarya pure and under his control and for a long time it actuay worked! Felarya's development was slow but steady and I even bragged to people this was the perfect system for controlling a universe's development.

Then it all fell apart. The ideas lulled, drama built up and some of my favorite canonized places up and literally vanished! -_- This broke some ideas further down the pipe line of myself and many others but yet Felarya endured and even prospered and people assumed it was the admin who did it all but it was not. Negav finally got more complex and well explained cause of Shady Knight. One person who was granted actual power to change things. Inus abd Renkyes were canonized as more than just minor races and so forth and so on by individuals who had power, even a tiny piece of it.

But the approval stage took a while to actually affect these changes and watching this I realized something: we need more people with the ability to affect changes on a macroscopic level. It's time to put new Admins in place. People who can edit the Wiki and forum directly. So if you agree with me we need to rally under this banner and make a change and then we draw up a short list and affect these changes!
Back to top Go down
Amethyst
Naga food
Amethyst

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Although something needs to be changed I still think Karbo should have the final say. What might work is having a counsel that can change stuff, but what they change has to be given the go ahead. Karbo needs to be more active when it comes to development of Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Im not sure how well this idea will be recieved. I see your point, paarticularly as a person that worked on pretty much all of the examples you mentioned, but ultimately, you're gonna have to do a ton of persuasive work to have anyone accept another authority. Out there, there are people who praise Karbo as Creaator of Felarya, God of vore and whatnot, and now theres supposed to be a felarya guy on maybe not the same level, but a level inbetween the normal guy and karbo? That'll be hard to communicate.

Though it IS an option, depending on how willing karbo is to keep the torch. But keeping the torch also requires him to hold it up and run the distance. And that is where its currently failing. Id be happy to contribute more to Felarya, i do have the creativity and motivation to expand this universe, but only if theres actually someone who still cares. otherwise, how are you supposed to inspire people if there's no one reading / looking at your work?
Even with more admins, as long as karbo stays inactive / away from the CORE community (and thats NOT Patreon), people will stay demotivated. So I dont think this alone will solve everything.
Back to top Go down
http://xxamaroqxx.deviantart.com
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm with Amethyst on this one, for most of the reasons Amaroq has given.  As much as I rag on the guy for being so wishy-washy about the direction the setting should be headed, and being unwilling to give definitive answers to basically everything, I think Karbo is really much the only guy who can run the place and have the final authority on anything.  Replacing him with somebody more active as the final authority to Felarya sounds good on paper, but aside from the fact that would require Karbo's approval, the way I see it, chances are the new head honcho would be either just as hands off, or bring about fundamental changes to the way Felarya as a whole operates, which risks alienating a sizable portion of the community on deviantArt, who are pretty much all that's keep this place afloat if we're being realistic here.  I would rather that Karbo sorts himself out than have somebody else do his job for him, although all of that hinges on the frankly unlikely event that he'll even see these threads at some point before the year 2020.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 2:54 pm

I propose a simple system:

two to four Admin's would be created. They would be admin in name only and Karbo would still have the ability to instantly approve anything. The Lesser Admins will be allowed to canonize only ideas that are not their own. In fact their ideas will need either Karbo or the votes of two Lesser Admins in order to be approved. This ensures nobody can just change Felarya in a 360° spin when they get upset or feel like they need to be a crusader.

Furthermore these Lesser Admins are not permanently in power. If an Admin besides the Head Admin  (Karbo) is inactive for oh let's say three months then the admin council will vote to feed them to Menyssan and replace them. They may appeal on an Admin only board and if they were in a house fire or taking care of their parents while they were sick. They will be restored to power on a trial basis.

The power of the Lesser Admins Will be to edit the wiki.
or the forum threads, including stickies. In exchange they in turn will be rewarded with a picture request at the end of the year exchanged by proving they worked on one thread/wiki page every month. This will ensure loyalty and will
keep the wheel turning and is redumdantly backed up to assure that there are always new Lesser Admins to to takethe place of the MIA.

One amendment I thought of: Characters will be the except to what you can approve to the wiki. For example I could say "Crystal would be a good addition to the wiki. I want to add her to known Demons and upload her bio to Characters."
Lesser Admins would weigh in and Karbo would have to approve their decision.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 pm

There's a problem with that system, and it's the simple fact that being a forum admin is not the same as being the setting's creator. Aside from the fact that that would require Karbo elevating other people to admin status as he's the only one we currently have, just being an admin doesn't mean you have the power to edit the wiki. It also doesn't automatically give you moderator or admin privileges on the dA Group either, so whatever changes that system would bring would be strictly limited to this forum.

The only way a system of multiple admins making decisions on the direction the setting should be headed is if all those admins had the power to make edits on the wiki and on the dA Group. Which I remind you, requires Karbo's approval. Just having more forum admins means nothing if the creator himself doesn't, you know, create.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
There's a problem with that system, and it's the simple fact that being a forum admin is not the same as being the setting's creator.  Aside from the fact that that would require Karbo elevating other people to admin status as he's the only one we currently have, just being an admin doesn't mean you have the power to edit the wiki.  It also doesn't automatically give you moderator or admin privileges on the dA Group either, so whatever changes that system would bring would be strictly limited to this forum.

The only way a system of multiple admins making decisions on the direction the setting should be headed is if all those admins had the power to make edits on the wiki and on the dA Group.  Which I remind you, requires Karbo's approval.  Just having more forum admins means nothing if the creator himself doesn't, you know, create.

Well obviously I didn't just mean admin here I mean admin privillages all across the board, hence why I added clause to impeach lazy ones. I suppose the title would be something else. How's Karbo's Saidokin sound? Lol Whatever the title you have a point. Karbo must give the trusted few the power.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Power to some people doesnt change the fact that Karbo needs to burn with passion for his project of Felarya, if he wants others to do the same. Theres no fire without sparks. If you now go and give 4 people the power to add content to the wiki or do stuff here on the forum, then that still doesnt ignite that passion into others. That needs to come from the source. Karbo himself.
Back to top Go down
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I like the idea of adding a creative layer below Karbo. In his defense, it's hard to flesh out a full world that supports as much as Felarya does (as opposed to most fictional worlds, which get generally what they need for the main characters to see and little else) singlehandedly. To avoid potential backlash, I propose that Karbo be elevated to the most esteemed title of Creative Director of Felarya as well as head admin.

As for the small number of creators directly under him empowered to modify canon, I have a few suggestions. Instead of calling them admins (which is honestly a forum/wiki position, not a creative one), we could call them something along the lines of Content Creators or Contributors. This could also let us detach the position from that of a forum admin, perhaps having some from this forum and some from DA (and, if anyone in the Patreon community is active enough and up to the task, perhaps one from there, but I'd worry about communication). Second, either instead of or in addition to general contributors, we might also have area-specific content creators assigned either on a temporary or permanent basis to certain large areas, perhaps those that Karbo is less interested in or those that need significant amounts of work.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 12:18 am

I really wonder how long it's gonna take for something concrete to happen.

The Phase III or Generation-3 (first gen was The Creation and second was Heroic Age(incredible growth of the universe and massive expansion)) of Felarya really needs a jumpstart. Older members need to give more place to newer members instead of correcting them all the time "No, that's not how it works in Felarya because (insert argument stating you've been here 10 years so you can't be wrong)." No one wants to contribute in that kind of atmosphere. I suggest that 3000+ posters put some water in their wine because they're killing it with their omnipresence.

Karbo needs to draw (more) and needs to delegate stuff to other people. Felarya as a world has been stagnant for way, way too long and the felaryan contributors are leaving one after the other. Only we don't notice them leave because no one comes here to build a fantasy world anymore. I mean, this thread is an important one, and I think the lil poll Jedi put up is frankly revealing of exactly how many members are active on the forum. It's been 10 days this thread has been on now, and the result of the poll is a flagrant... 8 persons who responded. Barely 10. I repeat, we're barely 10 persons in this place who now "mildly" give a fuck. In a poll I've made two years ago (accessible right here: 2015 poll ) asking who was an active member, there were 38 answers, of which 20 said they were active. You do the maths. And just look at what Karbo replied on that thread (5th comment), and contemplate how much he's done to fix the situation. Kinda reminds me of what he said in Dragon's post about how to be active in the forum.

Anyways, there's nothing we can do. Just have to wait for Karbo to wake up, which is already too late anyways. To entice people, you need to open the gates, give them gifts, offer them jobs and housing and pleasure. If you ignore them, you'll just end up like a relic of the past.

Personnally, I will never again try to contribute something to the Felarya universe. The experience is awful because all the wait and the trouble is just not worth it. I'm just gonna keep on writing stories from time to time till I get bored and then disappear somewhere else on the internet. Felarya is a beautiful boat, it's just sad we can't do anything as it is sinking fast.

Karbo: You. Need. To. Do. Something.
NOW.

Open the Gates.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Well I do keep telling people that what we need are ideas. Nobody puts ideas out anymore, and part of the reason for that is that...

nobody responds, comments, or writes about them in any way.. I put emphasis on this because its simply the most important factor. People keep complaining that Karbo is the only one who can canonize something so its useless to comment on it, just wait around until he says something. That's all people do, and then don't even post ideas because he hardly ever canonizes something. Do you realize how dangerous that is? Its cyclical downward spiral. That is the most contributing factor to why the forums are this way.

The mentality.

Every time I bring this up people fight me on it. Its baffling.

I don't care how new or old you are, don't just sit around and not do anything simply because you're waiting for the big cheese to canonize it. Back in ye olden times, when there would be like 60-80 people online on the forum AT THE SAME TIME, do you really think people weren't posting things? People posted stuff all the time, and you would get LOTS of feedback. You'd go to the chatbox and AJ, Jaette_Troll, or Fish, any many more would be there willing to help critique it, while others would praise it on the threads. It felt good. You wanted to post more. Getting it canonized was only something in the back of your mind. Sure it would be awesome if it got canonized, but its the attention you get from your peers here on the forum that gets your blood boiling, wanting to make another idea.

Its the attitude, the mentality here. It sickens me. Honestly. Its so overwhelmingly selfish! You keep asking Karbo to be more proactive. Guess what? He is. Its his main job now, he makes pictures every single day. You want more? How selfish of you. You want more leadership? Leadership over what issue? The flame wars? The trolling? In case you haven't realized, flare is gone. Warrior3000 is gone. All the trolls and flamers have left. Sure maybe the way the older members critique could be an issue, but critiquing properly has always been an art.  A way to tell someone the areas to improve on, while also complementing their efforts and saying what they like. Krisexy if you don't want to write or post in a universe that "gives an awful experience", then why not help as well? If you don't like the way people are commenting, then you should be the first one to start commenting in an encouraging way, and start telling the others how to make a newbie or someone else more comfortable - instead of complaining and leaving.

The forum is dead? Well then, how do you breath life into a forum?

You post something. Don't feel like every post you make needs to be some huge wall of text and well thought out idea. It doesn't. Just posting anything shows your activity, and people appreciate that as long as its well mannered.   Very Happy

Do you think I have a high post count because my stuff gets canonized? Heck no. I have a high post count because I respond on threads. As you should all be doing. Put a little bit of effort into it. Even I don't post nowadays as much as I'd like. I used to make three posts a day, and I called that good. Now its one every other day. Why don't we all try to post once a day. About something. Anything. Casual stuff that's not related to felarya, and maybe an idea once a week? The Off-Topic Subforum is always a great place to start. We used to have 5 or 6 forum games going on at once. We used to have constant RPs going on. Good places to start without having to rack your brain for a new and original idea.

Right now we're the only ones writing, posting. Karbo's hardly ever putting any input into these threads, and we still manage to post about it. As it should be. Karbo cant come in and wave a magic want that fixes everything. We are the users. It is WE who are the forum.

I am criticizing the entire forum about this except Karbo. All of us. If you want to breathe life in to the forum then do it yourself. Take responsibility, take action. Write ideas, comment. Be proactive. Don't sit around and ask Karbo to do more than he already is. To those of you complaining about his patreon, you can view his content for a single dollar. Give me a break. Remember he makes his living off of felarya. You can bet your complacent selves on it that he already puts lots of effort into it. I'll defer to my previous statement about this. I realize people may feel like me personally rebutting everything you all have said is shocking, and the first response would be to rebut me, stop and think. Let it sit in.  Figure out what may be done, and sure Karbo has areas to work on, but over the years he's been trying to fix that. We all need to do the same here. I don't want to use my veteran status and throw my weight around, but I am one of the older still active members of this community. I can tell you as soon as you lose in your head, you lose on the field. I suggest taking my advice.

Post something a day. Anything. Start small. Post, respond, and it will change.

The ones who needs to be more active is we all, the users of the forum. Now.

---

edit: a lot of people I've talked to say they're drained on creative juices. That's perfectly okay. I've gone for several months at a time before when the forum was a hustlin bustlin machine of creativity, and just didn't post a single idea. You don't really need to, to make the forum active. Talk about something casual. Create a star wars thread if you must, or a harry potter thread and talk about what you love about it.

Last edited by Archmage_Bael on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 2:51 pm

You make good points Bael. Trust me, I almost have as many posts as you do. I'll definitely make the effort to be more involved. I just need to be able to mentally handle it. Alot of us definitely have alot on our plates, so it's gonna be a bit of work to put into it.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Pendragon wrote:
You make good points Bael. Trust me, I almost have as many posts as you do. I'll definitely make the effort to be more involved. I just need to be able to mentally handle it. Alot of us definitely have alot on our plates, so it's gonna be a bit of work to put into it.

Indeed, this is very true. Sometimes its hard to find the time to come and read something and follow up with a post. However, you're still a vet compared to me. I've always looked at you as a senior member regardless of post count. Even so, I think the best thing for a lot of us would be to find something casual to talk about, simply to get us posting again, even if its not directly about felarya.

Even if all you have to say about an idea is "I like x because its really cute!" or some other "y" factor, its fine. The focus needs to be retaining our presence on the forum. As I said: start small.

p.s. Where the heck did you get that avatar. XD
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm

I also agree with you some of your points, bagel, but it's not the off-topic discussions and certainly not the role-play section that will bring back life here.

I agree we also have to throw in creative content, at some point, but who's gonna do that, nowadays? Every damn posts is ignored by the only one who should not ignore it, unless we talk about how bad the forum is and then Karbo shows up telling us to chill, that everything is under control and that he will put more life here, which never happened. I think it's laughing right at our faces, disrespectfully. Isn't he to the point where he's full-time on felarya, now? Well, where the hell is he?

The way I see it, theres a selfish God-that-is-above who controls everything, every single aspect. At first, we helped him build the world with our many posts. Things were great for a time, then there was a 3000$ worth patreon account, and then suddenly there's nothing anymore here.

It's sad, but if you want to put some creativity in Felarya nowadays, you need to pay 5-10 dollars a month to reach this single god who would certainly not lose his time with puny, non-paying infidels. I'll say this in bold: Karbo needs to apply Jedi's proposal. It's either that, or every significant contributor (I mean, the 2% that hasn't already left) will just say screw it and then leave behind a world that descended into randomly picked manga/anime-fandom/fanvore/fan-gts mawshots posted every 2 weeks. Of course the Patreon-thing makes some people cringe: they're smart enough to understand the link between this soon-to-be-dead forum and the money-gathering patreon. We helped build the world, and now Karbo is gone making money on our backs, after years of collective development. The least of decencies would be to not forget how he got to the point where he is.  

I also agree with gamma about karbo being Directive Creator and the others being called Contributors or Content creators. We don't need an admin only here, it needs to reach everywhere that counts (i.e. the wiki, who's also quite dead for the same reasons).

I'll repeat: Karbo needs to insist everywhere that there's indeed a forum where there's a world-building progress going on. Did I say insist? He needs to scream it. Under every damn submissions on dA and everywhere else. The patreon has the monopole of attention now, and it's just an insult. Karbo needs to apply Jedi's proposal, as it is simply the best option.

There are so many people, very active today, that should definitely be new admins. We're still running with only a quarter of an admin (frenchsnack) and yet it's supposed to be 8 admins. In fact, if I were Karbo, I'd name Content Contributors, right now, this very instant, Jedi, Bagel, Shady and Gamma. They seem to be the only ones that care and have more than enough experience about Felarya (and not only so they can have a mawshot in return). It would take max 5 minutes, big max 10 minutes. In such a short amount of time, it would be the greatest move we've seen from Karbo in ages.

But none of what has been proposed here will even be remotely thought of. If you think this ends well, you haven't been paying attention. The patreon account is the new forum.
So pay up, bitch!

(Yes, I'm quite pessimist concerning the future)

P.S. I still appreciate Karbo as a person, I just think he's incompetent when dealing with the kind of situation we presently find ourselves in. My blunt tone probably won't help, but I'm out of ammo concerning kindness and patience.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

This forum was dying long before his patreon account. If anything, opening his patreon account was the best thing to do, as it has saved Felarya. Most of the community is there, or on Eka's, and even more still on DA.

Quote :
I agree we also have to throw in creative content, at some point, but who's gonna do that, nowadays? Every damn posts is ignored by the only one who should not ignore it, unless we talk about how bad the forum is and then Karbo shows up telling us to chill, that everything is under control and that he will put more life here, which never happened. I think it's laughing right at our faces, disrespectfully. Isn't he to the point where he's full-time on felarya, now? Well, where the hell is he?

Uh, WE are the ones who put creative content on the forums. Its as I've been saying. You want the forum to be alive, right? Well guess who the person is who just posted, the person I'm replying to? A user. Someone who's been on the forum and posted. Same goes for you and every individual here. Karbo's not going to be able to wave a magic wand and suddenly everyone comes back to use the forum. If you want it to be active, then stick around.

Quote :
It's sad, but if you want to put some creativity in Felarya nowadays, you need to pay 5-10 dollars a month to reach this single god who would certainly not lose his time with puny, non-paying infidels.

Uh, no. You only need a 1$ subscription. If you cant pay for that, then you shouldn't be spending all day on the forum anyway. I live in a country that doesn't recognize social support as a thing to help its citizens stay afloat in the world, and I can still find enough to subscribe a dollar or 5.

Quote :
Of course the Patreon-thing makes some people cringe: they're smart enough to understand the link between this soon-to-be-dead forum and the money-gathering patreon. We helped build the world, and now Karbo is gone making money on our backs, after years of collective development.

Have you talked with them, or is this coming from your personal status quo? Also we have developed ideas for a lot of the world, yes, but don't forget that 1) we cede the right to our idea upon it being canonized. Its no longer yours, it belongs to felarya, and to Karbo. 2) Meralimexia's mawshot wasn't invented by a forumite. Its Karbo's character, and a depiction that his paying fans, the several hundred people who can find enough to cough up at least an extra dollar, have said they'd like to see.

Have you scrolled down that page? https://www.patreon.com/Karbo "Post for $1+ Patrons" is the only thing you see. One. Dollar. We're adults. We know how the world works. Its not that much to ask.

From my point of view, people who want more action on the forum without trying to do anything about it, blaming Karbo for not being active, are acting entitled. Like Karbo owes you something. Like felarya owes you something. Or at least that something good while happen when you sit around. One of the first things we're taught as human beings in this world is that nothing is going to wait for you. If you want something you need to reach out and grab it.

Right now I'm reading this as "I expect change to come to me."

Quote :
I also agree with gamma about karbo being Directive Creator and the others being called Contributors or Content creators. We don't need an admin only here, it needs to reach everywhere that counts (i.e. the wiki, who's also quite dead for the same reasons).

I'll repeat: Karbo needs to insist everywhere that there's indeed a forum where there's a world-building progress going on. Did I say insist? He needs to scream it. Under every damn submissions on dA and everywhere else. The patreon has the monopole of attention now, and it's just an insult. Karbo needs to apply Jedi's proposal, as it is simply the best option.

I don't think he needs to scream it, persay, but I agree with the point here. The forum's existence does need to be broadcasted. Right now I feel like people only come here if they run into it through a google search, which is about as helpful as tits on a snake.

Quote :
But none of what has been proposed here will even be remotely thought of. If you think this ends well, you haven't been paying attention. The patreon account is the new forum.
So pay up, bitch!

You do realize Karbo needs to make money, right? Its either that, or he goes back to his old job, and we wait for a picture every couple of weeks instead of one every other day. Why are people so hesitant on here to cough up a buck to be on patreon? Idea and content creation happens here. Patreon isn't a well organized place for that sort of thing. It falls back on how active we are, how well broadcasted the forum is, and making sure Karbo can have the free time to continue drawing felarya.

Granted, I would love him to continue the old manga series. I'd like to read the next installment (Tome...6? 7? Its been a while)
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 6:48 pm

I still mantain if we had more people with Karbo's power we can do more good....but I must admit I am now with Bael on what we should do for NOW. Here in this timeline present. Perhaps we need to try and do what he's saying first. Change ourselves rather than trying to change other factors that ultimately are much more monumentous. We should solve the smaller stuff and maybe there will be a ripple in the forums as a result and if there isn't? You will know it's not on anybody but you if you didn't try so I for one am going to go post some ideas, questions and they like.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Quote :
This forum was dying long before his patreon account. If anything, opening his patreon account was the best thing to do, as it has saved Felarya. Most of the community is there, or on Eka's, and even more still on DA.

It probably was on a way down, yeah, but the way I see it, the patreon thing put the final in the forum's coffin. I can't see the community on Eka (probably lower than the forum community) and on dA well... I think I can count on my fingers the quality stuff posted on the group (quality stuff, not some random OC bio), drawings and stories alike. The activity on the dA has also drastically fell. Just look at the recent group contests: 2 stories for the last contest, one from an old member/admin, and 2 for the drawing contest before that. I mean, Felarya contests used to be popular. Not anymore.

Quote :
Uh, WE are the ones who put creative content on the forums. Its as I've been saying. You want the forum to be alive, right? Well guess who the person is who just posted, the person I'm replying to? A user. Someone who's been on the forum and posted. Same goes for you and every individual here. Karbo's not going to be able to wave a magic wand and suddenly everyone comes back to use the forum. If you want it to be active, then stick around.

Yes, we're talking to each other Razz but as I said, it seems the only posts worth talking about are those centering around the death of the forum. I do think Karbo has that magic wand. There's absolutely nothing I can do. Karbo, on the other hand, has all the power to bring people here. He needs to violently publicize the forum. Because I've been sticking around here for some time since the activity went down, and nothing changed. Eheh, I don't know how to make you picture how much of nothingness this nothing is full of, but you probably get how it's a strong nothing.

Seriously, I'll tell you want Karbo's magic wand can do: it can start a post, asking users to brainstorm on something. Just wait and see how everyone will throw themselves in that post and give their 100%. He's the creator, isn't he? Surely he has things for us to work on? Why not share? Why doesn't he take any action? "hey guys, I'm working about a new species of (idk...) hybrid honeybadgers. Would you like to help me build it?" It took me 30 secs to write that sentence, now just imagine if it was Karbo who started this post. I know for certain that if it would be me, nothing would happen, merely a few empty replies. But if it comes from Karbo, yeah, I do believe it'll work, twice as much if he also invite his patrons to contribute as well. I'm sure we'd welcome them with open arms.

I'm not gonna pay for fetish content, and I don't spend my days here as well.

Quote :
Have you talked with them, or is this coming from your personal status quo? Also we have developed ideas for a lot of the world, yes, but don't forget that 1) we cede the right to our idea upon it being canonized. Its no longer yours, it belongs to felarya, and to Karbo. 2) Meralimexia's mawshot wasn't invented by a forumite. Its Karbo's character, and a depiction that his paying fans, the several hundred people who can find enough to cough up at least an extra dollar, have said they'd like to see.

Have you scrolled down that page? https://www.patreon.com/Karbo "Post for $1+ Patrons" is the only thing you see. One. Dollar. We're adults. We know how the world works. Its not that much to ask.

Of course it is my opinion and not an accepted fact. 2 things, though: I'm pretty sure I'm right on that one (I mean, over the course of 2 years, the patreon went way up in importance, while, in the contrary, the forum who went way down in terms of importance. the link is limpid for me and as time goes by, it simply proves how right I am).

I'm well aware that people cede their ideas to Karbo, but back in the days he didn't have a patreon. He was making money with the selling of the mangas and commissions. It's funny how, now that he's winning a comfy amount of cash, the canon-worthy ideas that would give more depths to felarya just... disappeared. It seems no one wants to give any idea to him, anymore. Only sketches they'd like to see (if they pay monthly for maybe the chance of seeing it done. Maybe.).
The thing is, bagel, I don't really care for patron's exclusive posts. And that dollar you talk about is only if I want to see/post something. But to really get his attention, you'd need to pay 20$, as I suspect nobody gives a damn about psd files and vore wallpapers. But at 20-50$, monthly, I'd say you definitely have his attention, now. It's been 10 days since Jedi made the original post of this thread. Where the fuck is Karbo? Well at 1pm today he posted something for his patrons to see, a wip, but nope, no sign of Karbo here. Theres another post he made for his patrons on november 22... still no Karbo on the forum. I mean, it's explicit how much he does not care about the forum anymore. Anyone may say the contrary, but I'm not dumb nor naive. And what am I still doing here? Just stating how I find his inaction towards us offensive and disgracious when you take into account the amount of work dozens and dozens of people put in developping Felarya. And it happened right here, on the forum, the forum he now obviously finds insignificant.

Quote :
From my point of view, people who want more action on the forum without trying to do anything about it, blaming Karbo for not being active, are acting entitled. Like Karbo owes you something. Like felarya owes you something. Or at least that something good while happen when you sit around. One of the first things we're taught as human beings in this world is that nothing is going to wait for you. If you want something you need to reach out and grab it.

Right now I'm reading this as "I expect change to come to me."

You're totally, totally right. Unfortunately it doesn't apply here. I can't save the forum. You can't. It needs a concrete action from the guy above, and it's astonishing how much he does nothing. What can you do, bagel, to save this forum? Posting ideas? Yeah, sure. How long will it last before you get tired of posting in the void? This place needs to be invigorated. With big changes. I already tried to change something by naming 4 users the new Content Contributors. Unfortunately, here, unlike the real word, I can't have an impact. I would gladly change things here, but I can't. No one can, however how much you have good intentions (which I believe you do Wink ) It just won't work. "Be the change you want to see in the world" said a famous indian guy. But this isn't the real world. The only things I can do is propose Karbo ideas on what he should do about this place. And I don't think I've been the only one trying it. Where are these persons who tried to change things for the better? Just gone. In the meantime, I continue writing stories........ until Karbo ups his copyright game and makes us pay to use his world. Why not? (I hope I'm way over my head on that last part).

To be a bit more clear, let's say I want to change things and act accordingly. This forum is dead. So I go on and create the New Felarya Forum. I mean, that would be a hell of a change! Who would follow me? That's what I thought. Now what if Karbo creates the New Felarya Forum? Yeah, that's also what I thought. See, I'd love to bring the change we need, I just can't because the real actions we need are completely out my range. There's nothing I can't do except come here from time to time, notice how it's dead, write about how it's dead and urge Karbo to do something about it. It's his bloody forum, for fuck's sake! He's the owner! The least he should do right now is at least seriously promote this place That would be a wonderful first step. Still waiting for it.

Quote :
You do realize Karbo needs to make money, right? Its either that, or he goes back to his old job, and we wait for a picture every couple of weeks instead of one every other day. Why are people so hesitant on here to cough up a buck to be on patreon? Idea and content creation happens here. Patreon isn't a well organized place for that sort of thing. It falls back on how active we are, how well broadcasted the forum is, and making sure Karbo can have the free time to continue drawing felarya.

Yes, yes, So do I and so do you Razz It's perfectly okay. I'd be more than willing to cough a buck for Karbo only if he gets his shit straight. Right now, there's shit all over the walls, the kitchen is on fire and the bathroom is disgustingly crass.

On your final sentence, I also disagree. Vore mangas are way better because they're honest. The storytelling in the tomes is... well, not good, even amateurish and I find that the only thing I'm waiting for is the vore. In the vore mangas, it's full of vore and the story fuels the vorish scenes. I also find the vore mangas to be vorongly serious, while the tomes are so damn childish. But this last paragraph has nothing to do with the ongoing subject, just a personal appreciation Razz
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm

There is a flaw with your logic, Bael.  You say that we need to post stuff to keep the forum alive and that Karbo just can't wave a magic wand to make everyone come back and make the place active.  Let's not forget for a moment why we're here posting ideas on the forum to begin with: because we hope Karbo will like the ideas we post and add it to his wiki.  You could be posting a thousand ideas right about now, it won't mean anything if the man in charge, the guy we're trying to please, you're trying to please, isn't here to so much as glance at them.  No matter how you slice it, most of this forum is built around Karbo's involvement, and if he's not here being involved, then it's only natural that it will fall apart.  Without him, our contributions here mean nothing.

That's why I'm not sold on the idea of Contributors.  It's a good idea on paper, and I would be lying if I said I didn't want the ability to edit the wiki just so we can finally fix the damn thing.  But it doesn't fix the core issue: this place is entirely reliant on Karbo.  Yes, we may get *some* activity going, but it won't last.  As soon as we run out of creative steam, we'll be right back where we are right now.  In the end, Karbo needs to stop being hands-off with the place and needs to contribute himself.  He needs to stop dropping an idea in the forum every once in a blue moon only to leave and forget about it, and then suddenly remember two years later that the place exists.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeTue Nov 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Krisexy26 wrote:

Yes, yes, So do I and so do you Razz It's perfectly okay. I'd be more than willing to cough a buck for Karbo only if he gets his shit straight. Right now, there's shit all over the walls, the kitchen is on fire and the bathroom is disgustingly crass.

On your final sentence, I also disagree. Vore mangas are way better because they're honest. The storytelling in the tomes is... well, not good, even amateurish and I find that the only thing I'm waiting for is the vore. In the vore mangas, it's full of vore and the story fuels the vorish scenes. I also find the vore mangas to be vorongly serious, while the tomes are so damn childish. But this last paragraph has nothing to do with the ongoing subject, just a personal appreciation Razz

Hey everyone. I know its been some time since I posted the thread that was the spark to this current fire, but I've been a little busy, but glad to see some activity, even if said activity is saying how dead this place is and the Karbo problem. Like I've said, I still have respect for Karbo, and only something drastic (like paying to use Felarya) would change that. However, as I said before, he needs to be more active.

You know Kri, that first part makes you sound like Gordon "Bloody Hell" Ramsey. But, i suppose it is pretty fitting in this case. Just like a bad restaurant, there are clear problems here and things need to change. Even on his DA page, theres some commenter looking to make a Felarya Discord! Why not use the fourm instead? Granted, its not as fast paced as Discord, but that just means more meaningful replies.

Unfortunately, I have to respectfully dissagree with you on the Tome mangas, especially since my biggest pet peeve is having things unfinished (even to the point of watching a bad show to see how things turn out, guess thats just my curiosity of story). I would understand if Karbo abandons the Tome story entirely, but, I would NEVER forgive him if he just up and ended it with no conclusion. I'm no idiot, I know its like watching Porn for the story, but, there was just something about the tomes that I really enjoyed! Even if Karbo just writes a brief summary to me about what happened, and how it ended (including what the artifact was, Lea's fate, the fate of Thas, and the fate of Lady Lesonia). These questions often haunt me, and I would be incredibly upset if I never found out what happened. Of course, I can theorize, but then again, I've been theorizing since I finished reading them! And, if that does turn out to be how it ends, with no conclusion, I'll ask Karbo how much I'd need to pay to hear the ending to it (Even in Epistle 3 format) and I'd never stop pestering him about it!

I know I wasn't around here as long as some of you have, but I still feel that Felarya should stay open and fair to everyone. It's the only way that it will ever grow. I'd be prepared to do anything within my power to help make it happen. Though, I think to be fair to all, the mantle of "Moderator" might be a little much for me. But, if I do get appointed, i'll certainly try my best. At least you all know that I'm an active user. Wink (Even if i'm not well-liked here) But, I'm still working on some ideas worthy of posting.

Actually, I wonder if we scared Karbo off? If there's anything that demands his attention, it would be at least following along in these threads. I think we made it perfectly clear that we are only doing this out of loving concern for Felarya, and still admire Karbo for his art and stories, but just the lack of activity is what we have a problem with.
Back to top Go down
Amaroq
Great warrior
Great warrior
Amaroq

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2017 5:51 am

dragon808tr wrote:
Actually, I wonder if we scared Karbo off?
I recieved a response from him just today, and he still said he definately wants to make some changes, particularly on the forum. But the overall tone felt very stressed out, so we might want to give it some time and breathing room. I am sure the overall message got through, now we have to wait and see what's going to happen. So yeah, give it some time and until then, lets come up with constructive ideas and helpful tips for him so when he reads this, he's getting more support rather than rambling users. There's little point in repeating the same criticism from now on I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed   One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Admin To Rule Them...Has Failed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: