Share | 

Where did Felarya come from?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Where did Felarya come from?   Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am

Since I have recently had a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to go back and poke around the Felarya wiki, and found something rather interesting. Karbo's original concepts and writings are quite odd, in a good way of course. You see, as one who knows the tomes like the back of my hand, I know the interesting relationship between Crisis and Lea (and to a lesser extent Subeta and Marken). However, I was surprised to find the rather hidden story of Empress Eteni and Modanthe, which I find written similar to a tragic epic like Creon. That got me thinking on if it could possibly be some kind of subtle foreshadowing for the current human-hybrid pred pairs mentioned earlier.

Another interesting find was the story of the Ps'isol Magiocrats, most notably the 8 rotating leaders, and of them, Lord Thelandros. Outside of the well-known Karbo made preds, Thelandros boasts the largest description and history, with the other Magiocrats following close behind, except for 2 lacking descriptions. It really makes me wonder what Karbo's plan is, considering they are never talked about or referenced outside of Lady Lesonia, but she is the most different of the group, one could argue.

So, this got me thinking, where exactly does the idea for Felarya come from? Sure I'm quite aware some comes from imagination, but I also see influences (and sometimes references) that are sometimes hidden, referencing Star Trek, LOTR, D&D, Doom, Pokemon, Half Life 1-2, Monster Hunter, Transformers, as well as some possible nods to some anime I haven't seen (like One Piece).

Anyway, what do you think? Have you read those more obscure stories on the wiki? Is there a deeper meaning to all this? What references have you found?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ponyboyace
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pm

On the Felarya map, in Deeper Felarya on the border of Jadong Lake, is a location marked "Serrakmos Statue." When I looked for it on the wiki, I thought it might give some insight to the man it represented. It instead gave something more interesting. The statue has an inscription written on it that jogged something out of my memory. Upon looking it up, I confirmed that the inscription was no doubt a reference to the poem "Ozymandias" written by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I don't know whose idea it was, but it was a pleasant surprise to find such a reference.

As for any other references, I can't see anymore myself. But I'm sure the writers who have had their characters/locations canonized have placed tiny bits of their own lives into Felarya. Some of them may have had a face or personality in mind of a real person when they created their character, and others had a location or city in mind, whether in real life or from a movie/show, when they created their locations.

Sure, Felarya has no doubt been influenced by TV and other forms of media, but I could bet that most of the inspiration came from the personal events of the writers' lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:22 am

Nerds who would have never been able to make a setting on their own without hijacking a fetish setting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:17 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Nerds who would have never been able to make a setting on their own without hijacking a fetish setting

Thank you for adding that wonderful insight to this discussion. I never would have thought of that!

(Dude, really? I'm trying to have a serious discussion here. If you dont like it or Felarya, than leave)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Ponyboyace wrote:
On the Felarya map, in Deeper Felarya on the border of Jadong Lake, is a location marked "Serrakmos Statue." When I looked for it on the wiki, I thought it might give some insight to the man it represented. It instead gave something more interesting. The statue has an inscription written on it that jogged something out of my memory. Upon looking it up, I confirmed that the inscription was no doubt a reference to the poem "Ozymandias" written by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I don't know whose idea it was, but it was a pleasant surprise to find such a reference.

As for any other references, I can't see anymore myself. But I'm sure the writers who have had their characters/locations canonized have placed tiny bits of their own lives into Felarya. Some of them may have had a face or personality in mind of a real person when they created their character, and others had a location or city in mind, whether in real life or from a movie/show, when they created their locations.

Sure, Felarya has no doubt been influenced by TV and other forms of media, but I could bet that most of the inspiration came from the personal events of the writers' lives.

Interesting! Can you link the poem? I never would have discovered that!

Of course, some characters are of course inspired by people IRL, which can work quite well from a social standpoint. Admittedly, I do this sometimes as well, as creating a character from scratch is pretty hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ponyboyace
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 am

Here it is.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46565/ozymandias

and here is a link to the wiki page.
http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Various_Landmarks

My own character, Donovan, is absolutely a representation of myself if I were suddenly flung into Felarya. A few characters that I will introduce later in my story will be people that I know and who would act the way these characters act. It's fun to think how many real life people have their own mini-me in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   

Back to top Go down

Where did Felarya come from?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: General forums :: General discussion-
Jump to: