Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where did Felarya come from?

Go down 
+3
DarkOne
Ponyboyace
dragon808tr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

Where did Felarya come from? Empty
PostSubject: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2018 7:50 am

Since I have recently had a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to go back and poke around the Felarya wiki, and found something rather interesting. Karbo's original concepts and writings are quite odd, in a good way of course. You see, as one who knows the tomes like the back of my hand, I know the interesting relationship between Crisis and Lea (and to a lesser extent Subeta and Marken). However, I was surprised to find the rather hidden story of Empress Eteni and Modanthe, which I find written similar to a tragic epic like Creon. That got me thinking on if it could possibly be some kind of subtle foreshadowing for the current human-hybrid pred pairs mentioned earlier.

Another interesting find was the story of the Ps'isol Magiocrats, most notably the 8 rotating leaders, and of them, Lord Thelandros. Outside of the well-known Karbo made preds, Thelandros boasts the largest description and history, with the other Magiocrats following close behind, except for 2 lacking descriptions. It really makes me wonder what Karbo's plan is, considering they are never talked about or referenced outside of Lady Lesonia, but she is the most different of the group, one could argue.

So, this got me thinking, where exactly does the idea for Felarya come from? Sure I'm quite aware some comes from imagination, but I also see influences (and sometimes references) that are sometimes hidden, referencing Star Trek, LOTR, D&D, Doom, Pokemon, Half Life 1-2, Monster Hunter, Transformers, as well as some possible nods to some anime I haven't seen (like One Piece).

Anyway, what do you think? Have you read those more obscure stories on the wiki? Is there a deeper meaning to all this? What references have you found?
Back to top Go down
Ponyboyace
Helpless prey
Ponyboyace

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 12:34 pm

On the Felarya map, in Deeper Felarya on the border of Jadong Lake, is a location marked "Serrakmos Statue." When I looked for it on the wiki, I thought it might give some insight to the man it represented. It instead gave something more interesting. The statue has an inscription written on it that jogged something out of my memory. Upon looking it up, I confirmed that the inscription was no doubt a reference to the poem "Ozymandias" written by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I don't know whose idea it was, but it was a pleasant surprise to find such a reference.

As for any other references, I can't see anymore myself. But I'm sure the writers who have had their characters/locations canonized have placed tiny bits of their own lives into Felarya. Some of them may have had a face or personality in mind of a real person when they created their character, and others had a location or city in mind, whether in real life or from a movie/show, when they created their locations.

Sure, Felarya has no doubt been influenced by TV and other forms of media, but I could bet that most of the inspiration came from the personal events of the writers' lives.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 4:22 am

MODERATION : Kindly refrain from posting that kind of message.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 8:17 pm

DarkOne wrote:
Nerds who would have never been able to make a setting on their own without hijacking a fetish setting

Thank you for adding that wonderful insight to this discussion. I never would have thought of that!

(Dude, really? I'm trying to have a serious discussion here. If you dont like it or Felarya, than leave)
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Ponyboyace wrote:
On the Felarya map, in Deeper Felarya on the border of Jadong Lake, is a location marked "Serrakmos Statue." When I looked for it on the wiki, I thought it might give some insight to the man it represented. It instead gave something more interesting. The statue has an inscription written on it that jogged something out of my memory. Upon looking it up, I confirmed that the inscription was no doubt a reference to the poem "Ozymandias" written by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I don't know whose idea it was, but it was a pleasant surprise to find such a reference.

As for any other references, I can't see anymore myself. But I'm sure the writers who have had their characters/locations canonized have placed tiny bits of their own lives into Felarya. Some of them may have had a face or personality in mind of a real person when they created their character, and others had a location or city in mind, whether in real life or from a movie/show, when they created their locations.

Sure, Felarya has no doubt been influenced by TV and other forms of media, but I could bet that most of the inspiration came from the personal events of the writers' lives.

Interesting! Can you link the poem? I never would have discovered that!

Of course, some characters are of course inspired by people IRL, which can work quite well from a social standpoint. Admittedly, I do this sometimes as well, as creating a character from scratch is pretty hard.
Back to top Go down
Ponyboyace
Helpless prey
Ponyboyace

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2018 12:59 am

Here it is.
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46565/ozymandias

and here is a link to the wiki page.
http://www.felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Various_Landmarks

My own character, Donovan, is absolutely a representation of myself if I were suddenly flung into Felarya. A few characters that I will introduce later in my story will be people that I know and who would act the way these characters act. It's fun to think how many real life people have their own mini-me in Felarya.
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 pm

I never thought if the Eteni Tragedy as hidden. Along with Demechrelle's War on Light, it's amoung my top fave Felarya lore. I was so happy when Karbo did a pic to show it off. 

The observations you made between Pred x Human relationships are curious in that there's a repeating pattern though I say that's also a "well duh" moment a little. The few human-sized folk who successfully befriend predators are lucky and a relatively small number than most think. Humans cannot often open dialogue with predators because of either upbringing or sheer hunger of the recipient. Even if one befriends a predator there is the "Eteni Factor" to account for. If people see this you are branded evil or nuts and ultimately this leads to fear which leads to hate which leads to anger which leads to suffering.
Back to top Go down
Ponyboyace
Helpless prey
Ponyboyace

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2018 11:40 pm

jedi-explorer wrote:
fear which leads to hate which leads to anger which leads to suffering.
Ha. Count on you to put a Star Wars reference in there.
You wouldn't happen to see any Star Wars references in Felarya would you?
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2018 7:56 am

Okay, an serious answer

Felarya's grounding is compromised of giantess and vorarephilia fetish conventions applied to anime girl conventions slapped together with surface level fantasy/folklore esthetics which people took too seriously.

there, is that more acceptable to you?

For what it's worth, I personally think there is a meaningful discussion to be have here......it's just that I have little confidence that the community is self-aware enougth to have it.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2018 6:15 pm

Then perhaps we can start the discussion.

The wiki domain, felarya.com, was registered in March 19th 2007, according to ICANN. We'll assume the Felarya you ask about existed by then.

If you go to Karbo's dA and sift all the way to the bottom, you'll realize back then Nemyra was a fairy queen, but there were no Guardians yet, for one. For another, you'll notice a picture of Lloth, which is the D&D deity Lolth, as interpreted by R.A. Salvatore. There's a few pictures after Naga Vore, May 18 2006, where the ball gets rolling for good, but we'll ignore them, as if the Felarya you had asked about already existed by then.

So we need to dig a little further back. Let's see what we find, shall we? Right now I'm a wee tired, so... gonna have to give you a raincheck on that.
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Wait, Demechrelle's War on Light? I haven't found this anywhere! All I know is the Felarya in-universe explanations of her, found on her bio page. (Though the links to her and Neymra, the fairy queen, do seem credible).

@Darkone There's Felaryan anime girl conventions? Where? (JK, of course). And hey, if you have a point or an idea, go ahead and say it if it helps the conversation. The more the merrier, as they say.

Stabs, Interesting info, as I recall seeing the first 2 tomes on my flip phone using paid internet in 2010-ish, as I was first finding vore. Though I obviously couldn't buy anythning at the time and left, but liked the art.

Actually, the earliest known Karbo works I've found are black and white pieces of giantesses eating tinies, one features two tinies tied back to back, being lowered into a mouth, an interesting concept. I also found an actually amazing POV vore series of like 3-ish pics with Menyssian eating the viewer, and are sent into her stomach with lots of others and acid. Her design is more realistic and humanish than how she is now. I also recall Meny being the first pred designed, along with Crisis soon after. I know the "naga feeding habits" kicked it off officially, both IRL and cannonly, with Crisis eating Anna (human form).
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 4:17 pm

Stabs wrote:
you'll notice a picture of Lloth, which is the D&D deity Lolth, as interpreted by R.A. Salvatore.

The many times I've looked at that picture and never realised it was Lolth XD

The Dridders in D&D are cursed Elves if I remember correctly, The Name 'Dridder' itself is an abbreviation of 'Drow' (A common name for a Dark Elf in D&D) and 'Spider'

Drow + Spider = Dridder

Normally in folklore and fantasy fiction spider humaniods are generally cursed people as aposed to litterally being a race of spider-hybrids.

it's an idea that goes back to ancient greace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne

I've often wondered why Karbo went for the more literal interpretation for the Felarya Driders (that spider-human hybrids are just that....another race) For starters it makes the name 'Dridder' meaningless in context given that they arn't Drows, and there are no Elves refered to as Drows in Felarya......which merely raises the question as to why they are even called Dridders to begin with? (See why I struggle to take the world building efforts seriously these days?)
My guess is probably to make them more distinct from the D&D or make them fall in line with the other races of Felarya.

Although, if you ask me Karbo missed a actually decent and fun lore trick here, what if the Driders WERE a race of Elves that let's say went to the "wrong" temple thousands of years ago on a treaure raiding party and got cursed........and crawled out Dridders....mostly if not all Female....even if they were male elves to begin with They are damn well female nows! Because Felarya biyach!

That's litterally something I can see Karbo doing a gag comic off, that's lore that actually feels right to me. (Which what little context for the setting we have that is)
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 pm

dragon808tr wrote:
Wait, Demechrelle's War on Light? I haven't found this anywhere! All I know is the Felarya in-universe explanations of her, found on her bio page. (Though the links to her and Neymar, the fairy queen, do seem credible).

It's not listed as a war but it was considered one by the survivors

In 919 A.U. of the Chronogly a number of elven villages disappear without a trace. This is a stirring of something far darker: Demechrelle building her army which lays in the shadow until 1261 A.U. Suddenly pure darkness flows from the Evernight Forest engulfing Felarya in pitch black shadows and lesions of Shadow Elementals who literally devour everything in her wake! She struts about in the North (where most of Felarya's troubles take place) with her horde. Truly a horrifying time to be in Felarya and have your flash light batteries eaten by Balloon Boy.  geek
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 10:55 am

That's an interesting question but not easy for me to answer ^^ The truth is there are a lot of things that influenced my work ( and art in general ). From comics, to anime, games, films and books.

But if I have to think deeply, I'd say Felarya's two main ones ( besides all the vorish and fetish aspect ) would be the game Planescape torment for the whole travelling to others worlds thing. That game was hugely influential for me in many regards, besides being my favorite of all time as well. Then Miyazaki's movies such as Princes Mononoke and his amazing depiction of huge, majestic and beautiful wild forests.

If I look at a more fetish focused aspect, it would be many of the things I discovered in the same time as a discovered vore was a thing ^^ For example Kissa-G and Kemo's work ( Kemo has been a especially huge influence on me )

As for dridders, yeah it's one thing I would clearly change if I could go back in time. I discovered dridders a lot earlier than Salvatore's work on drows and what the word actually meant..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:51 am

Karbo wrote:
That's an interesting question but not easy for me to answer ^^ The truth is there are a lot of things that influenced my work ( and art in general ). From comics, to anime, games, films and books.

But if I have to think deeply, I'd say Felarya's two main ones ( besides all the vorish and fetish aspect ) would be the game Planescape torment for the whole travelling to others worlds thing. That game was hugely influential for me in many regards, besides being my favorite of all time as well. Then Miyazaki's movies such as Princes Mononoke and his amazing depiction of huge, majestic and beautiful wild forests.

If I look at a more fetish focused aspect, it would be many of the things I discovered in the same time as a discovered vore was a thing ^^ For example Kissa-G and Kemo's work ( Kemo has been a especially huge influence on me )

As for dridders, yeah it's one thing I would clearly change if I could go back in time. I discovered dridders a lot earlier than Salvatore's work on drows and what the word actually meant..

At first I didn't recognize the name but when I saw the Divinty-like isometric graphic style I recognized it from a list of games I looked into with complex choice matrices similar to KOTOR/Mass Effect. I also remember its system of word hoping is quite renowned.

I think Miyazaki has influenced many worldscapes and Im not shocked to hear Felarya is no exception.

While I find the current model of Dridders are pretty good I'm curious as I how your hindsight would want to reflect them now.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 5:17 am

Karbo wrote:
Then Miyazaki's movies such as Princes Mononoke and his amazing depiction of huge, majestic and beautiful wild forests.

Hmmm, I've always assumed the large forest in Felarya was just taking cues from the classic fairytale/fantasy/horror/trope

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DontGoInTheWoods

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLostWoods

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-symbolism-of-a-forest-in-literature

Which is probably why I am so often confused by the overly-genious ammounts of empathy people give human characters who fall prey to predators in Felarya fiction...hundreds of years of narrative tradition shows that people who wonder off into dangerous weildernesses, are cocky, unprepared and don't show their surrondings any respect are good as dead...you know, it's like...what you expect? What narrative convention did you think this was following?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 6:23 am

Quote :
While I find the current model of Dridders are pretty good I'm curious as I how your hindsight would want to reflect them now.
It's not the model that's the issue, it's the name.  The name is a portmanteau of Drow and Spider, as Driders (one d) in D&D are essentially dark elves mutated into having the lower body of a giant spider after performing a certain ritual.  The name Drider is most likely copyrighted, as although spider people are a dime a dozen in fiction, they almost always use a different name, usually Arachne or some variant.  Unfortunately, Karbo wasn't aware that the name Drider was a D&D property at the time, hence why they haven't yet made an appearance in his doujins so as to avoid a potential lawsuit.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 6:55 am

Huh, I never knew that. Though I have always heard of spider people as Dridders, not just in Felarya, but other media as well, like various other anime (monster misume), fantasy books, and other related media.

All my D&D experiences were rather basic thus far, as the game is more fun once you take a few hours to complete a character sheet. After which, I was given the nickname "dragon food"
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Dridder was a copyrighted term but I've seen it used a few times in other settings. It's stupid to think about changing the name after they have been well established in the setting. It'll be Renykes all over again only worse cause Dridders are a main race in Felarya. -_-;
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 5:37 am

jedi-explorer wrote:
It's stupid to think about changing the name after they have been well established in the setting. It'll be Renykes all over again only worse cause Dridders are a main race in Felarya. -_-;

Are Dridders that well established though?

Other than a few grumbles from a few Dridder purists (assuming any have stuck around after all this time) I don't think that such a change will have that much impact at this point.

I mean Dridders haven't exactly been a popular predator, even amoung those that used to go on about how "Felarya should be more than vore wahwah!" (Which I find absolutely puzzling....if there was anything that could inject a little seriousness and gravitas into the setting...a creepy thing like spiders isn't too bad a start, the spider legs do alot to break down that humaniod outline that would otherwise remind you that the preds are just giant anime girls.....yet the more serious writers barely touch them and stick with the nagas and faries like everyone else.)
Back to top Go down
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2018 10:40 am

My main problem with dridders is I find them the least interesting and most difficult to write for. Nagas, Mermaids, Nekos, giantesses, faries and all other species are much more fleshed out in Felarya than Dridders. Sure Dridders have a pretty involved backstory, but in terms of the actual, modern day felarya predator, its kinda boring. Especially with the poisions and webs and everything. It could make for a kinky setting, but its not for me. (Plus, I find them the least sexy of all preds in Felarya, and of hybrids in general.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where did Felarya come from?   Where did Felarya come from? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where did Felarya come from?
Page 1 of 1