Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flying Naga

Go down 
+11
Mentalguy
gwadahunter2222
Flare
Mickilla
GREGOLE
Oldman40k2003
Karbo
Malahite
darkshot2600
zalzas
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 1:03 pm

I had an idea awhile back about a subspecies of Naga with wings. If the name hasn't already been used, I'd like to call them Quetzals.

For starters, they're extremely small compared to other nagas; about the size of a human child. They possess a pair of wings behind their shoulders and generally stick to the forest canopy. Their tails are as flexible as any other nagas when resting in the nest, but becomes straight and stiff in mid-flight; the tip has a feathery "rudder" that helps steer in flight. Their bones are also riddled with air pockets to minimize their weight. Highly social, they congregate in flocks of several dozen. They are very curious in nature, but are easily startled by loud noises. If attacked, they will move as a single shifting mass; like a flock of sparrows escaping a hungry raptor. Often they will use this tactic to confuse Harpies that wander into their nesting area. They generally feed on smaller species such as Tomthumbs and Mausus, but are not above eating fruit if their usual prey is scarce. Speech is a foreign concept to them, and they communicate through tweets, clicks, whistles, and other birdlike noises. Their mating rituals are similar to that of some species of eagles, although male members of the species are very rare. The male and female will gradually spiral higher and higher into the atmosphere, occasionally grasping and releasing each other's hands as they ascend; then they will embrace each other and fold their wings, allowing themselves to fall headfirst toward the ground. They stay together until the last second, at which point they spread their wings and separate to prevent themselves from hitting the ground; it is considered the ultimate gesture of trust among members of their species, and is an amazing spectacle to watch. At most, the female will lay three eggs, which are fiercely guarded by every member of the flock. If a predator so much as glances at the eggs, half the flock will go berserk and swarm around the offender, while the other half will join hands and spread their wings, forming a spherical blockade around the eggs, with only the mother inside. Their nests are intricately woven structures, and their durability rivals some human dwellings. It has been theorized that the Quetzals could dominate other species if they should ever figure out the basics of tools and weaponry.

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Xeno-the-Hedgehog on Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
zalzas
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
zalzas

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 1:38 pm

Every things better when it can fly, ever hear of the flying nun? Ten times better then your average nun, let me tell you. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://zalzas.deviantart.com/
darkshot2600
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
darkshot2600

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Smaller or not, when they fly, wer'e pretty much done for.
Back to top Go down
http://darkshot2600.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 5:02 pm

darkshot2600 wrote:
Smaller or not, when they fly, wer'e pretty much done for.
These seem more a threat to larger beings than humans, considering a description of a 'shifting mass' would require obsessive numbers. And obsessive numbers means much food needed.
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

I actually intended for them to be lower on the food chain; essentially, they are both predator and prey. they hunt smaller animals, such as rodents, but could also make a tasty snack for a larger predator, like a harpy or a succubus.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 6:12 pm

They are an interesting species Smile
But the name is taken already I think .. a character from Nskrocks goes by this name ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2008 8:26 pm

In that case, what would you call them?

Perhaps she could be a Quetzal whose name is Quetzal?

Last edited by Xeno-the-Hedgehog on Fri May 09, 2008 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:31 am

(as mentioned before, nksrock's character of the same name: http://nksrocks.deviantart.com/art/scrapping-at-work-take-three-57739745)
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 6:20 am

Small flying nagas are a pretty innovative concept, but I want to call attention to a certain issue: wing placement.

Nagas aren't built for flying. It's as simple as that. Their bodies are too long and sinuous. There's a good reason none of nature's fliers are serpentine in shape. Ever notice that long-bodied insects like mantises have wings located at the base of their abdomens? Any further north or south and they'd be lopsided in the air and be unbelievably awkward.

Now, nagas are even longer. There's simply no way to attach one set of wings to their bodies without at least ten feet dangling halphazardly below.

The solution lies in multiple pairs of wings. Logically speaking, a naga would require two or three pairs to be able to fly. I'd recommend one pair just below the shoulder blades and another pair halfway down the tail, minimum.

I'd also change the wing structure. Bird or bat wings just don't work very well with the body. Insect or hummingbird wings, on the other hand, provide more raw thrust, which is really the only way a body like that is getting off the ground.
If you apply multiple pairs of rapidly-beating wings, the serpentine body is actually something of an advantage. It renders the creature nimble and agile in the air. It can dart one part of its body around without losing much stability. Multiple pairs would also allow it to hover.

I bring this up because the concept of flying nagas has been tried before. Unfortunately, it's always the same, and I really can't suspend my disbelief when I see a bottom-heavy naga with bird or bat wings waaaaaaayyyyyy up top. I can actually suspend my disbelief when confronted with giant, flesh eating monster-chicks inhabiting a dimensional crossroad, but some things just stick out as illogical, yet easily fixed.

Just my two cents on the matter.
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 7:13 am

I'm well aware of the bottom-heavy issue, hence their small size. I've updated the description to include info about their behavior in flight.
Back to top Go down
Mickilla
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Mickilla

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 7:22 am

You know, in real life there is such thing as a flying snake, which is a species that spreads out its whole body the way a cobra does with just its neck. They literally slither through the air as they glide from tree to tree. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6RId-VWG_Q&NR=1 I'd like to see a naga subspecies that does that to catch prey unawares.
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 8:05 am

Somebody ask Zoekin if Katrika can do that.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 9:13 am

Quote :
I'm well aware of the bottom-heavy issue, hence their small size. I've updated the description to include info about their behavior in flight.

Size isn't the issue. It's general build.
No flying animal has a tail that heavy. It just doesn't work. In order for the rudder thing to work, the tail would need to be rope-thin. The only flying animal with a tail that long were ramphorynchoids, and their tails were more like string.

I'm sorry, but no matter how you slice it, placing bird wings on the shoulderblades of a naga body just looks silly and couldn't possibly allow it to fly.
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 9:35 am

What about Dragonflies? couldn't the wing to body ratio be similar to them?
Back to top Go down
Flare
Survivor
Survivor
Flare

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 11:02 am

They have 4 wings, each about as long as their body for the most part.

Anyway, I agree with the unfeisability of this idea.
Back to top Go down
Xeno-the-Hedgehog
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Xeno-the-Hedgehog

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 11:30 am

What about the fairies, harpies, angels, and succubi? their wings are mounted in much the same area, and they don't seem to have an issue. Besides that, they're drastically larger and heavier than the flying nagas; what's to keep them from falling out of the sky? given those and other flight-capable species, I think it's a little late to be nitpicky about aerodynamics.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 11:47 am

Harpies are shaped like birds. The area extending behind the wings isn't nearly as long as a naga's tail, and thusly doesn't weigh them down.

Angels and succubi fly through supernatural means, not via actual winged flight. Those tiny wings couldn't possibly suspend a human-sized body on their own. Harpies only pull it off because they have rudder-like tails and lack arms to slow them down.

I know it's a fantasy world, but nagas with wings way up there just looks ridiculous. It couldn't possibly work.

It's a very easy fix to simply give them multiple pairs of wings.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 12:29 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Harpies are shaped like birds. The area extending behind the wings isn't nearly as long as a naga's tail, and thusly doesn't weigh them down.

Angels and succubi fly through supernatural means, not via actual winged flight. Those tiny wings couldn't possibly suspend a human-sized body on their own. Harpies only pull it off because they have rudder-like tails and lack arms to slow them down.

I know it's a fantasy world, but nagas with wings way up there just looks ridiculous. It couldn't possibly work.

And what about the case of the sphinx some of them can fly Question
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Mentalguy
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Mentalguy

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 12:43 pm

GREGOLE wrote:

how about being able to flatten their bodies to be used as one giant wing. they whould still have the pair on their backs to provide forward motion.
Back to top Go down
http://mentalguy15.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Quote :
And what about the case of the sphinx some of them can fly Question

From what I've seen, the sphynx's wings are located on the lion portion, creating a shape similar to a mantis.

If not.... well then, I'd like to complain about that too!

Quote :
how about being able to flatten their bodies to
be used as one giant wing. they whould still have the pair on their
backs to provide forward motion.

That cold work, but in order to truly fly, they would need full fledged wings.
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:52 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Small flying nagas are a pretty innovative concept, but I want to call attention to a certain issue: wing placement.

Nagas aren't built for flying. It's as simple as that. Their bodies are too long and sinuous. There's a good reason none of nature's fliers are serpentine in shape. Ever notice that long-bodied insects like mantises have wings located at the base of their abdomens? Any further north or south and they'd be lopsided in the air and be unbelievably awkward.

Now, nagas are even longer. There's simply no way to attach one set of wings to their bodies without at least ten feet dangling halphazardly below.

The solution lies in multiple pairs of wings. Logically speaking, a naga would require two or three pairs to be able to fly. I'd recommend one pair just below the shoulder blades and another pair halfway down the tail, minimum.

I'd also change the wing structure. Bird or bat wings just don't work very well with the body. Insect or hummingbird wings, on the other hand, provide more raw thrust, which is really the only way a body like that is getting off the ground.
If you apply multiple pairs of rapidly-beating wings, the serpentine body is actually something of an advantage. It renders the creature nimble and agile in the air. It can dart one part of its body around without losing much stability. Multiple pairs would also allow it to hover.

I bring this up because the concept of flying nagas has been tried before. Unfortunately, it's always the same, and I really can't suspend my disbelief when I see a bottom-heavy naga with bird or bat wings waaaaaaayyyyyy up top. I can actually suspend my disbelief when confronted with giant, flesh eating monster-chicks inhabiting a dimensional crossroad, but some things just stick out as illogical, yet easily fixed.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Actually, a Naga's serpentine body is very capable for flight if it would have large wings on the back of the human torso, because I once read about the feathered serpent, or Ampithere, which was a creature that was worshiped by the Aztecs in Mexico a long time ago. Besides, this is Felarya! Anything is possible, right?
Back to top Go down
http://Michael-son-of-goku.deviantart.com
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:55 pm

Using myths from a time where Humanity believed in the presence of Gods and used them to explain natural phenomena as a cite to "It could work" isn't quite the best way to go.
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 2:59 pm

Malahite wrote:
Using myths from a time where Humanity believed in the presence of Gods and used them to explain natural phenomena as a cite to "It could work" isn't quite the best way to go.
Got me there Smile
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Quote :
Actually, a Naga's serpentine body is very
capable for flight if it would have large wings on the back of the
human torso, because I once read about the feathered serpent, or
Ampithere, which was a creature that was worshiped by the Aztecs in
Mexico a long time ago. Besides, this is Felarya! Anything is possible,
right?

Saying a serpentine body can fly because a mythological creature could do so is like saying gorillas inherently know kung fu because King Kong does.
Back to top Go down
mikeimp
Hero
Hero
mikeimp

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitimeFri May 09, 2008 3:23 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Quote :
Actually, a Naga's serpentine body is very
capable for flight if it would have large wings on the back of the
human torso, because I once read about the feathered serpent, or
Ampithere, which was a creature that was worshiped by the Aztecs in
Mexico a long time ago. Besides, this is Felarya! Anything is possible,
right?

Saying a serpentine body can fly because a mythological creature could do so is like saying gorillas inherently know kung fu because King Kong does.

*sigh* Gregole, didn't Malahite just say that? Only...in a non rude way?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flying Naga Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Naga   Flying Naga Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flying Naga
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next