Felarya

Felarya forum
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 
 

 Genki Naga

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:41 am

(I know they don't come from Felarya, but I wanted to add my own Naga's race. Ha'mara is the name of their world)

Common Name: Spirit Naga
Proper Name: Genki Naga (Genki is Japanese for Spirit)
Homeworld: Ha'mara (not in Felarya, but at least one has crossed over)
Element: Life Force
Gender ratio: 60/40 (Male/Female)
Threat Rank: Very Low, Critical when angry (they don't eat others, but are very powerful)

// NAME
Their name does not come from being a spirit or anything like that, it comes from their ability to harness their life-force (spirit) the way others would magic.

// HOME
Spirit Naga's are not native to Felarya, with only one ever appearing in Felarya in known history. Their home, called Ha'mara, is much different to Felarya in several respects. All races peacfully co-exist with each other, with the alliance between the Humans, Fairies & Spirit Naga's being the strongest relationship. Violence is virtually non-existant and no inhabitant eats any meat unless it is already dead at the time. Eating a living thing is considered the highest of all sins. They often mix with the other races from their world, as in they have many friends from many species. As for the name, Ha'mara is the name a Bajoran religious festival to celebrate the arrival of the Emissary. To anyone unfamilier with them, their culture could seem to be a matriarchy as the females often tend to be leaders while the males are usually soldiers/explorers. There is gender equality but many tend to choose particular jobs, allowing this mistaken impression.

// HISTORY
Originally, their world was like most others with different species hunting each other until a few thousand years ago when a few members of several species formed a religion in an attempt to change the culture of their race's. The religion itself only lasted a few centuries, but the values of that religion, along with it remaining loyal followers, began influencing the newer generations allowing them to slowly change the general society at large. The end result is that their past as peredators is largely forgotten.

// RELATION TO OTHER RACES
Though all races in Ha'mara co-exist, little interaction happens between most races. Spirit Naga's get along better with the Humans than fairies, while Fairies prefer human company over Naga's. Most Naga's don't really meet other races, normally staying within their territory and rarely leaving to see other races, while the fairies often travel. Naga's usually see fairies as perculiar and humans as interesting while Naga's themselves are usually seen as the main guardians, dealing with non-magical threats. This gets them respect and are not seen as a threat. As there are no Dridders in Ha'mara, the Spirit Naga's have no particular hatred of them.

Close friendships exist between many from all races as many humans and fairies travel alot. Insterspecies relationships past friendship is common for many races, such as the completly humanoid ones, except Naga's (it's not like you need to be a Rocket scientist to figure out why). Only a few from some of the species know that many in Ha'mara used to prey on the smaller species and this information is closely guarded so it doesn't upset the relations between races.

// PERSONALITY
Peaceful, friendly and generally very helpful. Unless you are a predator, then they might purposefully hinder your hunts, though not directly. They are, to a certain extent, almost pacifists, in that they will only fight in self-defence. They can easily be considered the only genuinly harmless species of Naga, despite being large and powerful. They are very unlikely to get along with the Felaryan predators due to diet and moral differences. The one Spirit Naga that has been to Felarya shows little other than contempt for any Felaryan Naga, choosing only to really talk to humans, nekos and the other race that are normally considered prey. Their personality and diet was originaly the same as a Felaryan Naga, but a religious movement was created to change that. Though the religion faded thousands of years ago, the values gradualy seeped into the culture of all races to the point that they cannot remember a time that they were predators. One of their racial quirks is an intrest in purple things.

// APPEARANCE
In terms of their looks, a Spirit Naga is like most other types, Snake lower half and Human upper half. Unlike most other types, however, there is no variation in some repects. They all have spiked golden blond hair that sticks upward often with bangs hanging down over their face. They will also always have emerald eyes with Gold/orange scales. These traits are for both male and female versions. Many have a high opinion of them because their hair and scales, aside from the obvious gold coloring, also reflect light exactly the same way as gold would if not better while causing them to glow in the presence of virtually any light (a source of annoyance), not unlike angels except only their hair and scales are affected. No one really knows why they glow, their hair and scale are reflective but the glow is very bright no matter how dim the light is, the only time they won't glow is in absolute darkness. The have fangs like any species of Naga, though they are mainly considered more attractive than useful, with the longer fangs and brighter scale/hair shine being considered highly attractive.

// GENDER NUMBERS
Unlike the Naga's in Felarya, the Gender seperation in Spirit Naga's in 60% male, 40% female.

// ABILITIES
Unlike the magic wielding Naga's of Felarya, Sprit Naga's also posess no magical abilities of any kind. Instead of magic, they have evolved a natural affinity for channelling their life-force into attacks the same way magicians would channel magic into spells. The most common use of their abilities is to channel the power into a blast from the mouth. There are rumors that they posess the ability to drain the life-force from others to increase their own abilities, but this is denied and considered absurd by the Naga's themselves. They are the most powerful race in Ha'mara and can use that same energy to increase their already exceptional physical abilities. Though they don't have any magic, they do know of it and can resist but that resistance will usually be lower than a dedicated magical defence. As they used to be preadators liie Felarya Naga's they will likely have many similar abilities, such as being able to unhinge their jaw or poisionus fangs, etc. These abilties have fallen out of use, though, except fangs which are considered an attractive trait.

On the subject of energy manipulation, though all are capable of it to some extent, the majority of the species can only use it to increase their physical strength, speed, agility, etc. Only a few are skilled enough to use the energy in direct attacks, including the most talented of the species (mainly it is only the soldiers that are trained to do this, though explorers also have enough training to protect themselves). It is normally kept that way because violence on their is rare and the power isn't often needed. A group of several Spirit Naga's can combine their power into one attack, with the power of the combined attack depeding on the power of the individual Naga's and how many there are taking part.

// WEAKNESSES
They have several weak points. The first is magic, like almost any Ki user they have no skill with magic and find it harder to protect themselves than a magic user would, though they have a somewhat basic defence it is not as capable as a specific, dedicated protection. The second is that they can only use so much at one time before risking serious damage to themselves, only one ever managed to overcome this and it caused new problems to appear, and they were not pretty. While they are physically stronger than a normal Naga, they suffer somewhat in agility and Ki can only help so much before the second weakness starts to work. Another weakness they have is a lack of night vision, it could their home doesn't have a night or because their body will always glow brightly whenever light (even when the only light comes from a tiny flame torch) is present, negating the need for it to evolve. Though not a unique weakness, their senses can be exploited like any other (such as a loud noice for a distraction).

// DIET
They all are believed vegetarian because they are virtually never seen eating a living person. Spirit Naga's would consider eating anything living a sin and would only eat meat if it was already dead.

// RACIAL STATISTICS
The Average Statistics for a Male:
Height: 100 foot
Poputation: 60%
Life span: 523 years (in a normal place)
Typical Roles: Explorers, Soldiers, Diplomats
Advantages: Slightly greater strength & senses

The Average Statistics for a Female:
Height: 80 foot
Poputation: 40%
Life span: 562 years (in a normal place)
Typical Roles: Leaders, Scientists
Advantages: Slightly more intelligent

Known Spirit Naga's in Felarya:
Ha'dara (My character)


Last edited by vegeta002 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:24 am; edited 13 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited to add new Ideas)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 am

Cool you have created sayen naga Laughing

Some remarks they are not really original but very common and classical.

I will quote some of your sentences.

Quote :
Instead of magic, they have evolved an ability to channel their lefe-force into attacks the same way magicians would channel magic into spells. The most common use of their abilities is to channel the power into a blast from the mouth.

This abilities is common to any nagas because they are using their power in the same ways. And in general is a basic for anyone who do Ki or shakkra manupulation.

Quote :
There are rumors that they posess the ability to drain the life-force from others to increase their own abilities, but this is ignored and considered absurd. They are the most powerful race in Ha'mara and can use that same energy to increase their already exceptional physical abilities. Though they don't have any magic, they do know of it and can resist but that resistance will usually be lower than a dedicated magical defence.

Vampirism abilities are very common.

Quote :
Peaceful, friendly and generally very helpful. Unless you are a predator, then they might purposefully hinder your hunts, though not directly. They are, to a certain extent, almost pacifists, in that they will only fight in self-defence. They can easily be considered the only genuinly harmless species of Naga, despite being large and powerful. They are very unlikely to get along with the Felaryan predators due to diet and moral differences. The one Spirit Naga that has been to Felarya shows little other than contempt for any Felaryan Naga, choosing only to really talk to humans, nekos and the other race that are normally considered prey.

Some predators have this kind of personality without to be necessary to belong to this race.

Quote :
As mentioned before (in the 'home' section) all are vegetarian and eating a living thing is a sin. Therefore, no Spirit Naga would consider eating anything living and would be very reluctant to eat something dead.

This things describe more a society than a race.

Quote :
Advantages: Slightly greater strength & senses
It's very common to people who focuses on on mental or physical abilities.

To sum your idea, you describe a naga with have no affinities with magic but who are focusing on her physical abilities and who are vegetarian. It's a kind of monk naga Razz

It can be interesting for a characters or a society but not as a race.

In addition you based them on the sayen system, so your character will be overpowered even if her abilities are very common, with a very classical personality inherent good or inherent bad

Everything will be a matter of power Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 646
Join date : 2008-06-25
Age : 40
Location : Fresno, California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:01 am

Hmmm... I like these guys and gals. Smile I'll offer more constructive feedback when I've thought about it a bit more, but right now I need to address something that's bugging me. Neutral I can get a little obsessive when it comes to languages sometimes, so please don't think I'm picking on you, I just want to clarify things for people who might not know.

vegeta002 wrote:
Genki Naga (Genki is Japanese for Spirit)

The bolded part can be both correct and incorrect, depending on the context. Anyone who is an anime fan or knows a little bit of japanese probably knows what "Genki" means, but for those who don't and might like the word enough to use it in their own works:

Genki never means "Spirit" in the sense of "Ghost" or any other apparition. Instead, it means "Spirit" in the sense that you would call someone "Spirited" or "High-Spirited". The most common translation for Genki is "Guts!"; someone who is "Genki" is considered Healthy, full of stamina, energy, pep, vigor, vitality, and/or courage.

The manner in which vegeta002 used the word is the correct meaning.

If he had used it to describe a race of Naga that were ghostly or otherwise somehow related to spiritual entities, that would have been the incorrect meaning. There are numerous words in Japanese for that kind of spirit; "Genki" is not one of them.

Okay, Japanese lesson is over. Like I said, vegeta002 used the word properly, and obviously knows what it means. I'm not disputing that, just clarifying it for people who might be uncertain. Smile You can apply the word "Genki" to define Crisis, but you can't apply the word "Genki" to define a Ghost... unless it's in relation to that particular ghost's personality. ^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:07 am

Quote :
This abilities is common to any nagas because they are using their power in the same ways. And in general is a basic for anyone who do Ki or shakkra manupulation.

The use elemental magic, these ones have no magical abilities at all. The same as Saiyans, where their power isn't classed as magic and is considered usually physical power.

Quote :
Vampirism abilities are very common.

They are common but this species declines having any. Thats the 'absurd' part, people made rumors and they deny them as absurd.

Quote :
Some predators have this kind of personality without to be necessary to belong to this race.

Some are naturally inclined to act certain ways, like Saiyans, Goku was a vicious and destructive child until he lost his memory.

Quote :
This things describe more a society than a race.

When I made the race, I never considered whether this was because of the society or a religous thing.

Quote :
It's very common to people who focuses on on mental or physical abilities.

True, but (apparently) Sexual dimorphism can cause different gender of the same species to have subtle differences that effect base abilities.

Quote :
In addition you based them on the sayen system, so your character will be overpowered even if her abilities are very common, with a very classical personality inherent good or inherent bad

Saiyans were overpowered because the got stonger constantly and transformed, this species has higher physical abilities than most nagas, but they have limits (I also said they are the strongest race in their world, where humans, fairies & these Naga's are dominant, but nothing about Felarya) and are more vulnerable to magic than normal Naga's.

They have advatages, but also weaknesses that counter them and do not get constantly stronger.

I should have added something about the personality/diet begining as a religion that was eventually absorbed into their society.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:09 am

I got 'Genki' from 'Genki Dama' which translates into 'Energy Ball/Spirit Ball'. Its the only reason I knew the word. It's also the exact energy they use, but are not as overpowered as their Saiyan originals.

The original post has been altered and the 'Personality' section has a brief explanation of their diet/behaviour toward smaller races.

Quote :
Son Goku the monkey king was vicious and destructive too but except here the crown was change to a violent hit on the head.

And I changed this one to an ancient religious movement that altered the society (Well, Crisis would say corrupted).


Last edited by vegeta002 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:55 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:47 am

vegeta002 wrote:
I got 'Genki' from 'Genki Dama' which translates into 'Energy Ball/Spirit Ball'. Its the only reason I knew the word.
That's why the attach was named "Genki Dama" in Dragon Ball.

Channel the energy of every living being in a one ball.

It's a common ability of manipulation of energy, in clear any nagas can do that with their own element except your naga manipulate the life force, ki or shakkra etc...

vegeta002 wrote:
Saiyans were overpowered because the got stonger constantly and transformed, this species has higher physical abilities than most nagas, but they have limits (I also said they are the strongest race in their world, where humans, fairies & these Naga's are dominant, but nothing about Felarya) and are more vulnerable to magic than normal Naga's.

They have advatages, but also weaknesses that counter them and do not get constantly stronger.

The problem is the fact they lack something to be a race, the genki system can be applied to any creatures.

Even if they are vegetarians and have an original look, they are something which missing.

vegeta002 wrote:
When I made the race, I never considered whether this was because of the society or a religous thing.

The problem is the fact you based your idea on the Dragon Ball universe which based on the Legend of Son Goku the Monkey King Wink

vegeta002 wrote:
Some are naturally inclined to act certain ways, like Saiyans, Goku was a vicious and destructive child until he lost his memory.

Son Goku the monkey king was vicious and destructive too but except here the crown was change to a violent hit on the head.

This confirm what I mean. Akira Toryama to create Dragon Ball used many myth and legends from the boudhism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:53 am

Basicly, they are like other Naga's except that they adapted with slightly increased physical power and to use their life-force as power to make up for a lack of magic. Then they changed from predators to peaceful partners to due the after effects of a failed religion and their days as predators have long faded from record and memory.

Aside from those little problems, what parts do you like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am

vegeta002 wrote:
Basicly, they are like other Naga's except that they adapted with slightly increased physical power and to use their life-force as power to make up for a lack of magic.

Exactly but I won't say is an evolution because any living form possess life force and there are many spell in magic or martial arts which allow to use this system. This ability is frequently use by any creature or race as an alternative system to magic ability.

I have no problem with the other parts, they are good to define a group of nagas and their way of life but not to define a sub specie. It's original the fact they don't have no affinity with magic but how they use their power is very common. You should developp how they use their ability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:52 am

The power is common, but some are naturaly adept at using it while others are not (like Ice Nagas, basicly born using magic, while others have to learn). Have you ever wondered why Saiyans have incredible skill at manipulating Ki while still young, whereas Humans usually need years of practice just to get the basics?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 646
Join date : 2008-06-25
Age : 40
Location : Fresno, California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:16 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The problem is the fact you based your idea on the Dragon Ball universe which based on the Legend of Son Goku the Monkey King Wink

The problem with this is the fact that the character of Sūn Wkōng and the entire story of Journey to the West is based on/influenced by other figures and stories, both historical and fictional. Smile This is because of the use of the tropes involved; there are parts of Journey to the West that are remarkably similiar to the Epic of Gilgamesh, particularly when you compare the characters of Sūn Wkōng and Enkidu. Smile

You can have a story or an aspect of a story that is inspired by another without being the same thing. Despite their similiarities, Journey to the West is not the Epic of Gilgamesh, just like Shuǐhǔ Zhun ("The River Margin"/Suikoden) is not the legends of Robin Hood and his Merry Men, despite the amazing resemblances. Laughing

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Son Goku the monkey king was vicious and destructive too but except here the crown was change to a violent hit on the head.

As were many other characters or groups of characters based on a similiar concept, including Ekidu, the lfhnar (Berserkers) of Norse legends, the Incredible Hulk, Aya, and a million characters who existed before Toriyama even conceived of Dragon Ball or the Saiyans. Laughing

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
This confirm what I mean. Akira Toryama to create Dragon Ball used many myth and legends from the boudhism.

Actually, the tale of Sūn Wkōng as a folk hero predates the existence of Buddhism; the Buddhist influences were added much later. Smile No one really knows exactly who the character is based on, but it's generally accepted that he was created through a merging of historical accounts of Shi Bantou (the first disciple of the buddhist monk who actually made the trip from China to India and back), the Hindu Monkey God Hanumān, and various elements of Chinese folklore that were popular at the time. Smile

... Yes, I am a nerd. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm

vegeta002 wrote:
The power is common, but some are naturaly adept at using it while others are not (like Ice Nagas, basicly born using magic, while others have to learn). Have you ever wondered why Saiyans have incredible skill at manipulating Ki while still young, whereas Humans usually need years of practice just to get the basics?
Like demons have incredible skill of magic next to human. Or a cheetah run faster than a human.

The Sayen and the human are two different concept so it's normal there are difference. The hair of sayan don't grow contrary to human, they have a tail and can transform into a big monkey and they have a better life span. So it's their biological difference.

And even if they have incredible skill at manipulating Ki while still young they still have to train as humans to control it. Son Goku when he was born was very weak contrary to Vegeta who was born with a strong potential but in the end Son Goku surpass him because he learn from many master how to use his power as a human would do. A sayan has strong potential but if doesn't train to exploit it a well trained human can defeat him. Power is nothing without control Very Happy

If you compare two saiyans you won't see difference, and when you compare the genki naga you won't see any difference to the other naga.

Here I compare you genki naga share many common point the others specie of naga, all nagas are omnivore so they can eat both meat and fruit, they can be affiliate or no to an element. They can good in magic or physical abilities or both.

The genki nagas are nagas who don't affinity to magic and developp in addition to physical abilities the abilities to manipulate their life force, but they have no biological difference next to another naga.

An ice naga is not different from a type of naga but next to an ice hydranaga or an ice pit naga are different.

All the difference you give are cultural but not biological.

@TheQuantumMechanic I didn't know that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
avatar

Posts : 646
Join date : 2008-06-25
Age : 40
Location : Fresno, California, USA

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:52 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
@TheQuantumMechanic I didn't know that.

Like I said, I'm a nerd. Smile When I was a kid, books were my TV. Very Happy

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Like demons have incredible skill of magic next to human. Or a cheetah run faster than a human.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The hair of sayan don't grow contrary to human, they have a tail and can transform into a big monkey and they have a better life span. So it's their biological difference.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
If you compare two saiyans you won't see difference, and when you compare the genki naga you won't see any difference to the other naga.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Here I compare you genki naga share many common point the others specie of naga, all nagas are omnivore so they can eat both meat and fruit, they can be affiliate or no to an element. They can good in magic or physical abilities or both.


gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The genki nagas are nagas who don't affinity to magic and developp in addition to physical abilities the abilities to manipulate their life force, but they have no biological difference next to another naga.

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
An ice naga is not different from a type of naga but next to an ice hydranaga or an ice pit naga are different.

All the difference you give are cultural but not biological.

I pulled these particular points out, because they are interesting. I believe I understand the point you are making, and you are correct in the context of the differences you see. Smile

However, you can also be incorrect if we change the context. Very Happy The point at contention is whether or not the differences are primarily cultural or biological.

There is a difference between aptitude and capability. In your first example that I pulled out, the difference in magic between a human and a demon can depend on a number of factors, but is generally a matter of experience and potential which makes it a matter of aptitude. That is not the same as the difference in running speed between a human and a cheetah, which is a matter of capability. Under normal circumstances, a human, regardless of how hard they train to improve their aptitude at running, will never match a cheetah in speed because their natural capabilities are different.

In anime and movies, this can often be accomplished by special powers or "martial arts" that allow someone to exceed their natural limitations, but in that case, it is still a matter of aptitude and can not be considered a natural case. Your innate capability has not changed at all, you simply have surpassed what is normal for a member of your species. Smile

All of these differences can become biological, simply by changing the context involved in the species- For instance, if magically actually does exist on the world the Genki Nagas come from.

If their lack of magic abilities is simply because they do not have the aptitude (or affinity) for it, but they can develop magical powers if they work hard enough at it, then the "spirit power" is purely a matter of cultural development, as you said.

However, if their lack of magic abilities is because they can not use magic ever and it requires some external mitigating factor for them to be able to cast a spell, then the reason becomes biological. If a member of the Genki Naga species can never develop the ability to use magic under normal circumstances, then they simply biologically lack the potential for magic.

The same can be applied to the other parts, if one wishes to- if Genki Naga's vegetarianism is a matter of choice, then it is cultural. If it is because they cannot eat and digest meat, then it is biological. Smile

Do you see what I am saying? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:22 pm

I understand your point of view, but the question for me Does a genki naga is different specie of naga or a naga Question

If they are another specie so a Londerean naga as Katrika is a different specie due to her aptitude to drain magic with her tail to adapt to her surrounding.

But in the universe of Felarya a crossroad many dimensions where many species come from different worlds, does this aptitude make new specie because this aptitude is not different to a capability Question

So drain magic is a common ability anyone can do that, by example a fire naga can do it with fire.

If a race in a world has this aptitude restrict this ability to this race, so in their homeworld they master Ki instead of magic they are not a kind of naga coming from an alternative universe. But due to the nature of Felarya an aptitude coming from another world becomes a capability because there is a possibilities other nagas or predators share this aptitude but as the same level.

As he present his race their ability to manipulate ki is not a aptitude but a capability. A sayan and a human has both the capability to manipulate their ki except the sayan has a strong potential.

A naga manipulating ki instead of magic can be very interesting and has a strong potential Razz

The manipulation of ki or life force in general is a capability as magic or psionics power. They are different alternative and are not the aptitude to a race.

A fairy can master ki or have psionic power too is not necessary they are only magical user.

@Vegeta002: the idea of your race is not bad but their aptitude is a common ability.

Do you see my point Very Happy

Edit: The ki energy can be similar to mana. The concept of manipulation of life force is the abilities to draw your power from your own energy and the different living force of the universe. This abilities can be used in different ways, to heal someone, to manipulate an element, to cast a spell, to increase your physical or mental abilities.

A genki naga is a naga who has not affinity with no element and use his life force in the same way their cousin will use their magic.

The saiyans has a strong potential in ki energy, they focuse only on power but the humans due to the fact they are less powerful but they have a better control and mastery. The reason why Goku is the most advanced between the saiyan because he is the first who trains as a human and has a better control of his potential. He has both the power of the saiyans and the control due to the training.

In matter of mastery and manipulation the humans are the best, that's why they are very versatile and can learn many things but the only thing they can not control is the power.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
avatar

Posts : 943
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 28
Location : Heckville

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Hmm... an interesting enough idea. But one little thing bugs me, and I'd like to point it out.

The entire race couldn't possibly be 100% vegan.

In the distant future we may see sentient snakes, sentient cats, sentient raptors, sentient dolphins or if we're lucky, sentient insects.

We will NEVER, however, see sentient cows, sentient deer or sentient horses.

The reason is that protein is vital to the brain. Vegetarians themselves are frequently mentally hampered. If the entire race were to drop meat altogether..... well, remember the movie Idiocracy?

Now, since you seem to have created this race specifically for your main character, it seems like a good idea for me to point this out.

I'm sorry, it's just that no one ever acknowledges the fact that meat is essential for brain-development. I mean, hasn't anyone ever wondered why Lisa is the stupidest character in Springfield?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
avatar

Posts : 4577
Join date : 2008-01-20
Age : 28

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:53 pm

GREGOLE wrote:
Hmm... an interesting enough idea. But one little thing bugs me, and I'd like to point it out.

The entire race couldn't possibly be 100% vegan.

In the distant future we may see sentient snakes, sentient cats, sentient raptors, sentient dolphins or if we're lucky, sentient insects.

We will NEVER, however, see sentient cows, sentient deer or sentient horses.

The reason is that protein is vital to the brain. Vegetarians themselves are frequently mentally hampered. If the entire race were to drop meat altogether..... well, remember the movie Idiocracy?

Now, since you seem to have created this race specifically for your main character, it seems like a good idea for me to point this out.

I'm sorry, it's just that no one ever acknowledges the fact that meat is essential for brain-development. I mean, hasn't anyone ever wondered why Lisa is the stupidest character in Springfield?
At last! Someone who notices how retarded that motherfuckin bitch is!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:59 pm

And another reason due to the fact they can not be vegetarian.

It's due to their ability to manipulate life force, in this concept any living matter has a life force but in different level. It's the force which maintain the body, when the life force decrease the creatur become sick or die. For the case of the genki naga they have important amount of life force but when they use it,it's double edge sword, they are more powerfull but after they are more exhausted than a normal naga and they are more voracious. The life force is a energy and the problem and energy can not be created but converted from another energy. You can find find more life force in meat than in the plant, because the plant are eaten by the herbivore, so they have in addition of it's own life force the life force of the plant they eat.

They can pretend to be vegetarian or drain directly of the plant but if they are very powerful they are more dangerous from the other living being. To maintain a good level of life force with plant they will need to eat more than a normal herbivore, it can be a disaster for the other living being because due to the fact they live longer and don't have natural predators, they have an important amount of life but at the price of the other herbivore who are hunted by the carnivore. They can pretend it's a sin to kill another living form but their life is a greatest sin because they destroy food chain.

It's the reason why the nature kill the diplodocus and why Africa there are few vegetations but there are biggest herbivore.

The main rules in life force manipulation the more you have the more powerful you are,that's why the genki dama is the more powerful attack in DBZ because it take the life force of all the living being. The flaws of this technique has been shown in the arc with Majin Boo, when the humans gave their life force they were very exhausted if they gave more they would die. In general the more powerful life force user have a short life span because each time you use it you shorten your life but you can increase it by draining the life force of other living being.

That's why the saiyans eats a lot,to eat it's the easier way to recover your life force. Wink

You can drain it from other being but it's not without consequence.

The system of life force it's like The force in Star Wars, it's allow many possibilities but if you abuse too much it can be dangerous.

PS:if you quote the namek to explain why they are all vegetarian I will answer namek are an alien race whohas a metabolism similar to the plant so they don't have the need to eat meat. But if you fully based on that the genki naga have a affinity with the nature element Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:16 am

Quote :
// HOME
Spirit Naga's are not native to Felarya, with only one ever appearing in Felarya in known history. Their home, called Ha'mara, is much different to Felarya in several respects. All races peacfully co-exist with each other, with the alliance between the Humans, Fairies & Spirit Naga's being the strongest relationship. Violence is virtually non-existant and no inhabitant eats any meat unless it is already dead at the time. Eating a living thing is considered the highest of all sins. They often mix with the other races from their world, as in they have many friends from many species. As for the name, Ha'mara is the name a Bajoran religious festival to celebrate the arrival of the Emissary.

// DIET
They all are believed vegetarian because they are virtually never seen eating a living person. Spirit Naga's would consider eating anything living a sin and would only eat meat if it was already dead.

Edited, read the bold parts.

Quote :
PS:if you quote the namek to explain why they are all vegetarian I will answer namek are an alien race whohas a metabolism similar to the plant so they don't have the need to eat meat.

They have it good, only needing water to survive.

I have edited several of the sections of the profile, hopefully they will be a bit better now. Reckon their ready to be a race or can anyone find more points that need looking at?

I based my Naga characters profile off my Saiyans (from several sites), then the race off of him.

Thanks for the help, by the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:40 am

vegeta002 wrote:

I based my Naga characters profile off my Saiyans (from several sites), then the race off of him.

It was obvious but I would say this thing a saiyans can be summed by one thing=I got the power.

The saiyans is very efficient only against creature based on power but if you oppose them a situation where the power is useless or they don't have to fight to win, they don't know what to do except if you use god-modding.

That's why they kill all the Dragon Ball's universe, because it was not based only on power and fight. The fact the universe focuse on them the story always repeated itself a strong guy more powerful than the previous and the Saiyans have to defeat him, there will have a new transformation or skill and if the opponent is too powerfull they combined all their energy or the energy of the world to defeat him.

Your genki naga will work in same way, if he is not enough powerful he channel the energy in all the living form or the world to increase their power and give them an infinite energy.


vegeta002 wrote:
Saiyans were overpowered because the got stonger constantly and transformed, this species has higher physical abilities than most nagas, but they have limits (I also said they are the strongest race in their world, where humans, fairies & these Naga's are dominant, but nothing about Felarya) and are more vulnerable to magic than normal Naga's.

Their weakness to magic is classical and useful only if your characters meet only magical's user and event that when they can get constantly increase their without to be transformed by draining life force from their surrounding, you can surpass this weakness easily.

The only thing which can limit a genki naga is the fact his using his own energy only because his restricted by his own physical limits. When you train you won't increase your Ki level but just manipulate it better the only way to increase it it's to drain it from another living being.

The naga are restricted in magic due to their element affinities in clear they depend on their element, but how the genki naga use their power they surpass any type of naga because the ki or the life force is an universal force, they can drain from everything even the element.

To use the life force as alternative as magic is a good idea but how they use it they may look a bit too much powerful because it's the same way as the summoning Bahamut Zero in Feinal Fantaisy VII works, In clear with his six wings channel the energy of the universe in a powerfull blast in the same way.

You should think in batter way how they use their power, how they use it they can do everything.

Edit: change the gender ratio because 80% males and 20% are females, their sexual tendency are very suspicious Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:43 am

Quote :
The saiyans is very efficient only against creature based on power but if you oppose them a situation where the power is useless or they don't have to fight to win, they don't know what to do except if you use god-modding.

That's why they kill all the Dragon Ball's universe, because it was not based only on power and fight. The fact the universe focuse on them the story always repeated itself a strong guy more powerful than the previous and the Saiyans have to defeat him, there will have a new transformation or skill and if the opponent is too powerfull they combined all their energy or the energy of the world to defeat him.

Your genki naga will work in same way, if he is not enough powerful he channel the energy in all the living form or the world to increase their power and give them an infinite energy.

Only Goku could channel others power and then only because he was pure good. That is very rare. They could give power to others, but it could not be taken by them. Ki should be efficient against most people, Ki users are better prepared to protect against it than non-ki users. The only ones that will be really affected will be ones who only protect against magic (like the big bugs) because they will have to rely on physical defence instead of what they are used to.

Quote :
Their weakness to magic is classical and useful only if your characters meet only magical's user and event that when they can get constantly increase their without to be transformed by draining life force from their surrounding, you can surpass this weakness easily.

They can be effected by any magic easier than normal Naga's, how does Ki help overcome that? How does Ki help when you've been shrunk or immobilized? It will only help so much.

Quote :
The only thing which can limit a genki naga is the fact his using his own energy only because his restricted by his own physical limits. When you train you won't increase your Ki level but just manipulate it better the only way to increase it it's to drain it from another living being.

The naga are restricted in magic due to their element affinities in clear they depend on their element, but how the genki naga use their power they surpass any type of naga because the ki or the life force is an universal force, they can drain from everything even the element.

To use the life force as alternative as magic is a good idea but how they use it they may look a bit too much powerful because it's the same way as the summoning Bahamut Zero in Feinal Fantaisy VII works, In clear with his six wings channel the energy of the universe in a powerfull blast in the same way.

You should think in batter way how they use their power, how they use it they can do everything.

Maybe if I change the profile so that most generic ones can only use Ki to enhance speed, strength, etc to a certain extent (Say, a 40% increase ?) and only the really talented/trained ones can can actually use it as energy blasts? My Naga character, Ha'dara, is an Explorer and can use energy attacks at a somewhat basic level.

Quote :
change the gender ratio because 80% males and 20% are females, their sexual tendency are very suspicious Suspect

And the regular mostly female Naga's are any different? Anyway, it is now 60/40. That won't be as bad, yet isn't female dominated like the normal ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:41 pm

vegeta002 wrote:

Only Goku could channel others power and then only because he was pure good. That is very rare. They could give power to others, but it could not be taken by them. Ki should be efficient against most people, Ki users are better prepared to protect against it than non-ki users.

Not really Krilin succeeded to manipulate it and used it against Vegeta, Son Gohan deviated when Krilin missed Vegeta.
Cell did it too.
Boo stopped it and return it against Goku.

The fact is a pure good can doing, it's not really a limit itself, all Akira Toryama's main character are very naive and pure so it's something he always emphizes,but if he wanted everyone would use the Genki Dama but he prefered Goku used it as he's last card.

To correct you only Goku learned to channels others powers, everyone could do that in the Dragon Ball universe beacause it's a skill which can be learned.
In other universe this abilitiy has been more developped, anycreature can channel his ki to an element or another living being to increase his power without to be necessary a pure good.

To be simple any living form has Ki inside it, in clear a ki-user is effective against any kind of living being. I will quote another manga Samourai deeper Kyo, the character of Akari, she has the possibilies to manipulate the ki of other except her own ki, she use this ability to heal someone but she chan use this ability in battle. She can drain the life force and kill his opponent and regenerate herself.

vegeta002 wrote:

The only ones that will be really affected will be ones who only protect against magic (like the big bugs) because they will have to rely on physical defence instead of what they are used to.

Sorry for you but the ki can be used to increase you physical or magical defense, In dragon Ball Z it was mostly use in a physical and powerfull way by the Sayans but other characters like the namek use it in another way.

vegeta002 wrote:

They can be effected by any magic easier than normal Naga's, how does Ki help overcome that? How does Ki help when you've been shrunk or immobilized? It will only help so much.
They are many possibilities when you manipulate ki and break a magic spell affecting you is one of them.

The weakness to magic is the natural flaw to any guy who has no affinities with magic.

vegeta002 wrote:

Maybe if I change the profile so that most generic ones can only use Ki to enhance speed, strength, etc to a certain extent (Say, a 40% increase ?) and only the really talented/trained ones can can actually use it as energy blasts?

The problem is not the blast it's very common but the fact they can increase their physical abilities is not a problem but they are not restricted to that. The manipulation of Ki offer many possibilities but the only restriction is the physical and natural limits, and the fact they can increase by draining other energy to increase their power can make them too much powerful.
The genki dama is the most powerful attack in DBZ and it can even destroy a planet. So it was stated only Goku can do that to avoid some overabuse of this skill in the manga.

You should read other mangas, like Yuyu Hakusho,Hunter x Hunter, Bleach, Black Cat or I will quote it even if I loathe this manga Naruto. You will understand what I mean. In Dragon Ball the manipulation of ki was used in an uber powerful way.

vegeta002 wrote:

And the regular mostly female Naga's are any different?
I mean increase the number of female because when the female are rare in general the males tends to fight between each other to reproduce themselves except if they find interest in males Laughing

To conclude:
The ability of the Genki naga is interesting but very common, they use an another power than magic but to increase their physical abilities and their power, it can be do in a magical way, except here he can't not be dispel. Next to an average naga they are more physically developped except if you exaggerate and make them very powerful. It's what I fear is you make them to much similar to the saiyans in their developpment Sad

And another point to have a strong level in ki doesn't mean they can not be defeated by a creature with a low level of ki and which are not a magical user, as it said "Size doesn't matter."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:34 pm

Quote :
Not really Krilin succeeded to manipulate it and used it against Vegeta, Son Gohan deviated when Krilin missed Vegeta.
Cell did it too.
Boo stopped it and return it against Goku.

Krillin didn't channel power, Goku gave him the power he managed to keep after Vegeta's attack. Gohan was able to rebound an existing attack. I don't think Cell ever proved his boast about being able to use the Spirit Bomb. Kid Buu resisted an attack that was already thrown, Spirit bomb is a standard attack when thrown and can be stopped if your strong enough.

Quote :
Sorry for you but the ki can be used to increase you physical or magical defense, In dragon Ball Z it was mostly use in a physical and powerfull way by the Sayans but other characters like the namek use it in another way.

The weakness to magic is the natural flaw to any guy who has no affinities with magic.

I cannot think of any comeback for this one.

Quote :
The problem is not the blast it's very common but the fact they can increase their physical abilities is not a problem but they are not restricted to that. The manipulation of Ki offer many possibilities but the only restriction is the physical and natural limits, and the fact they can increase by draining other energy to increase their power can make them too much powerful.
The genki dama is the most powerful attack in DBZ and it can even destroy a planet. So it was stated only Goku can do that to avoid some overabuse of this skill in the manga.

Just because they can manipulate their energy, doesn't strictly mean they can take other peoples. I never said they could, only that there was a rumor that is constantly denied.

Quote :
You should read other mangas, like Yuyu Hakusho,Hunter x Hunter, Bleach, Black Cat or I will quote it even if I loathe this manga Naruto. You will understand what I mean. In Dragon Ball the manipulation of ki was used in an uber powerful way.

To conclude:
The ability of the Genki naga is interesting but very common, they use an another power than magic but to increase their physical abilities and their power, it can be do in a magical way, except here he can't not be dispel. Next to an average naga they are more physically developped except if you exaggerate and make them very powerful. It's what I fear is you make them to much similar to the saiyans in their developpment Sad

And another point to have a strong level in ki doesn't mean they can not be defeated by a creature with a low level of ki and which are not a magical user, as it said "Size doesn't matter."

I am trying to tone down their power so they aren't super powerful, they were not as 'broken' as you make them seem in the first place. I said they could channel their life-force instead of magic, I never said anything about being super-strong or draining energy from others, just different from the other Naga's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:50 pm

vegeta002 wrote:

I don't think Cell ever proved his boast about being able to use the Spirit Bomb.

In the manga Cell said he can do it Very Happy
If you play in the Budokai's games when Cell says "Okay planet, give me that stupid energy" he is doing a genki dama, except it's green. It's possible to the fact there was a spy robot who takes all the data about everyone, mostly Goku during his battle against Vegeta. The fact you need to be pure good, had been said in the movie involving C-13 and had in the anime's version but never stated in the manga there is no restriction in the using of this ability Razz

vegeta002 wrote:

I am trying to tone down their power so they aren't super powerful, they were not as 'broken' as you make them seem in the first place. I said they could channel their life-force instead of magic, I never said anything about being super-strong or draining energy from others, just different from the other Naga's.

The problem is not a question of power but how they use their ability in how they use it's very raw, in my opinion it can be shape in a way in relation of the genki naga's way of life.

The life-force is a raw power like magic, it can be used in different ways, if you don't shape it in a personnal way it will be used in a raw and powerful way.

Edit:I will do a thread which explain the manipultion of ki or life-force.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:30 am

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
In the manga Cell said he can do it Very Happy
If you play in the Budokai's games when Cell says "Okay planet, give me that stupid energy" he is doing a genki dama, except it's green. It's possible to the fact there was a spy robot who takes all the data about everyone, mostly Goku during his battle against Vegeta. The fact you need to be pure good, had been said in the movie involving C-13 and had in the anime's version but never stated in the manga there is no restriction in the using of this ability Razz

Cell said he caould use it, but didn't prove it. The game is not canon because canon is something that happened in the Manga. The idea that Cell really could use it is just as canon as anything from the movies, the the restriction fromthe Androin #13 movie makes a bit more sense than Cell using the attack.

Quote :
Essentially, to use the Genki Dama, one must have a pure heart so they can manipulate and gather energy, otherwise the move can backfire and possibly hurt or kill the user. In the Dragonball Z feature Super Android 13, Kuririn reveals that Goku cannot gather the energy while in his Super Saiyan state. This is because the state of Super Saiyan is inherently malicious and taints the heart and soul.

This came from a wiki devoted to Dragonball and stated that only the pure can use it safely, while bad people can but may only damage themselves (which would explain why Cell boasted but never attempted it), though I'm not certain if it can be considered canon or not.

Everything a Ki user can do is irrelivant unless they know they do it. I already mentioned something about little violence and use for the power, so its not likely that they would even know Ki users can do that (and how would someone manipulate energy in a way they don't even know is possible?).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
avatar

Posts : 1841
Join date : 2007-12-08
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:04 am

vegeta002 wrote:
This came from a wiki devoted to Dragonball and stated that only the pure can use it safely, while bad people can but may only damage themselves (which would explain why Cell boasted but never attempted it), though I'm not certain if it can be considered canon or not.
Beware the statements can change from a wiki to another, so we can discuss about it and it will be endless.

vegeta002 wrote:

Everything a Ki user can do is irrelivant unless they know they do it. I already mentioned something about little violence and use for the power, so its not likely that they would even know Ki users can do that (and how would someone manipulate energy in a way they don't even know is possible?).

It's a canon verity in Dragon Ball universe to have a pure heart to use the genki dama doesn't apply in other universes. It's not an absolute verity

Ki-users exist in other universes than DBZ, the genki dama can be a rare ability only a pure heart can use but this fact is irrelivant in other universe. So you can meet someone from another universe who are pure evil and manipulate the genki dama.

Some creature can naturally channel the energy in the same way the genki dama do without necessary to have a pure heart.

You try to make it as an absolute canon or it's not be true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
avatar

Posts : 1057
Join date : 2008-08-01
Age : 29
Location : Wandering around Felarya

PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:12 am

Quote :
It's a canon verity in Dragon Ball universe to have a pure heart to use the genki dama doesn't apply in other universes. It's not an absolute verity

Ki-users exist in other universes than DBZ, the genki dama can be a rare ability only a pure heart can use but this fact is irrelivant in other universe. So you can meet someone from another universe who are pure evil and manipulate the genki dama.

Some creature can naturally channel the energy in the same way the genki dama do without necessary to have a pure heart.

You try to make it as an absolute canon or it's not be true.

That part was talking about a power being useless and/or irrelivent if you don't know it exists, I'm not trying to make anything canon. I have seen several shows that use Ki in different ways and know that it varies.

Even if Ki can do all the things you mention, you will still need to know about that ability before you can use it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Genki Naga   

Back to top Go down
 
Genki Naga
Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion :: Nagas and Mermaids-
Jump to: