Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wight Dryad

Go down 
+3
Shady Knight
vegeta002
Raetsu Lord Pichu
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Marauder of the deep jungle
Raetsu Lord Pichu

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 am

(Those who play Makai Kingdom will get the referance)

Name: Wight Dryad
Size: Varies, usually depends on age
Threat: Moderate-High
Locations: Evernight Forest, The most powerful can be found in Deeper Felarya

An eternally depressed dryad, which are known for being the 'Dryads who steal the green from the Felarya'. Wight Dryads do not have a static size, meaning they can grow larger if they're already not at full size. They are generally the same as many dryads only they're skin is flaky, rough and a color of dark brown (though some have different colors but all are not very eye catching or ambient). They have no leaves to speak of and simply bear jagged branches that are similar to a dead tree. The only known vegitation is their hair which is actually dead leaves which refuse to fall off. Amoung the Dryads they are thought to be the most bland and less desirable to look at, many would even go so far as to say they are depressing to look at. They themselves aren't very social and always seem to be melancholy about something. One is never seen happy nor do they laugh they're just a shell of despair and lonliness constantly surrounded by corrosion and death. If you happen to feel an aura of depression just sweep over and take hold of you, odds are a Wight Dryad is nearby...

Wight Dryads posses little life in their bodies, and even less chloropyll. But because of this they do not require the hassal of staying put in one place, and are free to roam about as they please. They move by the use of their roots which act similar to normal legs if one is to consider roots as such a thing. However because they posses no life they still must seek out some form of sustinance to keep them 'alive', it is then that they're famous ability comes into play. Vampirism.

Wight Dryads feast on other Dryads by sapping away their life force and vital fluids thus fueling their own bodies. They are able to do so by the use of their branches which actually make for excellent syringes, they bore into the flesh of the victim and using a type of reverse healing they take away energy and nutrients from the victim. When all is said and drained the Wight Dryad leaves her meal completely drained of life. In some cases if there is still enough life energy left the victim will become a Wight Dryad herself.

Wight Dryad have few predators being there's really nothing to gain from eating them (They lack nutrients, and taste). Gut Worms rarely infect these dryads for as said above there's nothing to gain from being a parasite to a parasite. However their wood is an excellent kindler and is worth quite alot on the market. As such humans have been known to seek out Wight Dryads in order to retrieve said wood. But many are often met with a very gruesome end.

Reproduction is hard to explain being some believe that Wight Dryads cannot bear life due to them lacking it themselves. While others believe that they reproduce by feeding on others and thus transforming them into Wight Dryads. However there is an account of a Wight Dryad bearing a single fruit that houses their offspring, this fruit is said to be the conglomeration of all the life force and souls she's devoured. Once the fruit drops (or once the seeds are passed through the animal that ate it) it sows into the ground and grows into a sapling Dryad which immediatly falls ill, dies and turns into a juvinile Wight Dryad. Wight Dryads are tentative to their young only for a few weeks then they leave them to fend for themselves

Last edited by Raetsu Lord Pichu on Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://pimpdaddypichu.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:54 am

A Dryad cannibal? Interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 am

Holy Shit! It's a giant tree-chick zombie invasion! Yeah, they remind me of zombies.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Feign
Feign

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:18 am

Even though I don't normally like the idea of undead in Felarya, I really like these. It's clear enough theat the Wight Dryads aren't technically undead. Also, I really like the idea of something new that can act as a threat to Dryads.

I would rather that they eat animal prey in the same way as regular dryads, reserving the vampirism for the plant life that surrounds them.

I'm kind of curious how they interact with the dryad psionic network. You mention that they are surrounded by an aura of crippling despair, so they seem to have their mental powers, but how does this work with other dryads?
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:19 am

Maybe a link that's specific to their own kind instead of all Dryads?
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 10:55 am

Alright... at first, I sort of rolled my eyes when I saw the title of the thread, and I honestly apologize for that. Sad After actually reading the post, I like these Dryads a lot! Very Happy

I do have a few suggestions, however, if you don't mind. Smile

The main one is rewording the references to "Life", "lack of Life", and "Death/Dying" slightly. I understand that you're trying to imply a sense of dread and resemblance between Wight Dryads and Undead, and I think it's a neat idea. Smile

But you should avoid absolutes like "possess no life at all", or "Wight Dryad leaves her meal completely drained of life", or "sapling Dryad which immediatly falls ill, dies and turns into a juvinile Wight Dryad". I get the implications you're trying to make, but the wording could be just a bit better. Or even more descriptive, if you really want to get creative about it. Laughing

Wight Dryads can't "possess no life at all"; I think a better way to describe it might be that they don't possess enough life to sustain themselves, which is why they steal it from others. Smile Dryads, which are large and often possess a lot of vitality, make excellent targets simply because they have so much of it.

You also might want to consider that perhaps a Wight Dryad doesn't always completely drain her victim; maybe some of them leave their victims alive after the horrifying experience, leaving some of them living in constant fear of the Wight Dryad finding them again. Very Happy

Also, I would recommend avoiding the literal use of "falls ill" and "dying" in regards to sapling Wight Dryads; be creative, feel free to describe a strange affliction that strikes them, leaving them with illness-like symptoms that progress until they fall into a coma-like state and undergo a terrible transformation into a young Wight Dryad. Or something along those lines... being descriptive and detailed would both fantastic and scary. Very Happy

EDIT: I would also suggest leaving it ambiguous as to whether or not a Dryad can actually become a Wight Dryad after being nearly completely drained by one. Don't set it in stone either way, have there be no actual proven cases, but the Dryad network is FULL of stories about "A Dryad who knew this other Dryad, who knew this other Dryad..." accounts of it happening. The fact that they don't actually know what happens might be far scarier to Dryads than knowing the truth.

Wight Dryads can be their boogeymen, basically- something that they fear as much, or even MORE than fire. Evil laugh

Last edited by TheQuantumMechanic on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 10:58 am

Maybe the Race themselves could be the result of a virus or mutation during early growth.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 am

Feign wrote:
I would rather that they eat animal prey in the same way as regular dryads, reserving the vampirism for the plant life that surrounds them.

I agree with this somewhat; I think the process should be different, however. For instance, maybe a Wight Dryad has difficulty draining animals and humanoids the same way she does a Dryad. So, instead, they swallow humans/nekos/animals, and digest them; however, instead of being digested by stomach acid and enzymes, a Wight Dryad 'digests' their life force, slowly draining them until they die.

Feign wrote:
I'm kind of curious how they interact with the dryad psionic network. You mention that they are surrounded by an aura of crippling despair, so they seem to have their mental powers, but how does this work with other dryads?

I would personally recommend saying that they don't interact with the Dryad network at all... at least, not directly. A Wight Dryad has permanently 'dropped out' of the Dryad network, meaning that other Dryads can't communicate with them telepathically. However, Wight Dryads cause some minor interference with the Dryad Network- the closer a Wight Dryad gets to a Dryad, the more that Dryad feels a sense of building dread, which spreads throughout the Dryad Network and makes other Dryads very uneasy.

vegeta002 wrote:
Maybe a link that's specific to their own kind instead of all Dryads?

I dislike this idea somewhat; I would rather see each Wight Dryad as an independant loner- they don't 'need' a network of their own, because they are no longer social organisms the way Dryads are. This makes them almost incomprehensible beings, from the viewpoint of normal Dryads. Smile

vegeta002 wrote:
Maybe the Race themselves could be the result of a virus or mutation during early growth.

No viruses on Felarya. Smile I'm not very fond of this idea, either; Leave the sense of mystery and dread alone, so Dryads don't really know where Wight Dryads come from, or what makes them. That is what makes our ghost stories what they are, and trying to apply that same concept to Dryad culture would be interesting.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:56 pm

... Hehe. For some reason, I'm picturing a Wight Dryad with a kite stuck in the branches on her head, like a hair clip or ornament. XD
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Definitely an original idea here ^_^
Many thing to do with it Razz
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Raetsu Lord Pichu
Raetsu Lord Pichu

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Quote :
... Hehe. For some reason, I'm picturing a Wight Dryad with a kite stuck in the branches on her head, like a hair clip or ornament. XD
Beware the kite eating tree!!

Quote :
Definitely an original idea here ^_^
Many thing to do with it
Thanks, dood. Though the idea of them using vampirism is a homeage to a type of monster from Japanese mythology (I forget what it's name is, but it's a demon in the shape of a dead tree).

Now onto the technical(?) stuff.

Wight Dryads, as I pictured them, are indeed non social toward other Dryads (and other organisims for that matter). As for the aura it was actually meant to be more of a descriptive effect than anything else (kinda like how some people say that somehas a dark cloud over them when they're really depressed or something of the like). But, after hearing what Quantum stated, I thought hey, that's not half bad, and decided to go with that instead. So in away Wight Dryads are like the 'white noise' to the Dryad Network.

As far as consuming smaller prey is concearned, the idea of them draining of their lifeforce and soul whilst they're in their stomach is quite nice. So that way, we still get to see some quality vore action and we have an added twust to it as well, Everyone wins.

Quote :
The Resident Evil in my wants to go with this, but Felarya is generally 'virus-proof' being the soil itself is said to cure various diseases. However, the illness (or rather illness-like) aspect of their transformation isn't readily dismissed, as you'll soon see in my post.

Quote :
be creative, feel free to describe a strange affliction that strikes them, leaving them with illness-like symptoms that progress until they fall into a coma-like state and undergo a terrible transformation into a young Wight Dryad. Or something along those lines... being descriptive and detailed would both fantastic and scary
Ah, yes I see what you mean. I was, at first, aiming for a more sorrowful beginning as far as the birth of Wight Dryads go (being everything about them so far is gloomy and ominous) But, let's see how this works:

-The dryad in question, begins to grow more and more sluggish during the day, and generally finds it difficult to stay awake when most dryads are the most active, and she loses her urge to indulge in photosynthesis which only increases her state of weakness being now her body becomes starved of energy and nutirents, her leaves begin to take on an autumn colors and fall off leaving her branches (if any) bare. As days pass, the sapling soon finds it increasingly difficult to communicate with her sister Dryads via, the telapathy, eventually she loses the ability completely, by this time her appearance is noticeable amoung other dryads to the point where they feel something is wrong but yet they cannot communicate with her to find out just what it is that is bothering the youth. Days turn to weeks and the young dryad becomes inceasingly bitter toward others for she feels they've berayed her due to them not giving her any attention or help, by this time she's become so weak that she can no longer move 3 feet without collapsing on herself. With no energy left to move, and no friends to comfort her, she falls into a comatose state and begins her 2nd phase of metamorphasis.

As she sleeps her cracks, peels up and gives way to jagged rough and flaky bark. Her body gives off a fine mist which is the water evaporating from within her body which has become dry. small branches grow from her back and her roots dry up. By the time she awakens nearly a month has passed, and she is now free from the life of a normal Dryad but is trapped to the life of a Wight Dryad.

Maybe this could work, if not feel free to point out what's up with it, I'm generally half asleep so I can't catch too much about what's wrong with it. Any who I appreciate the feedback I've gotten on these girls.

Quote :
You also might want to consider that perhaps a Wight Dryad doesn't always completely drain her victim; maybe some of them leave their victims alive after the horrifying experience, leaving some of them living in constant fear of the Wight Dryad finding them again.
Hmm, you are right about that. Having them always kill their victims can take off some of the 'scare tactics' I originally intended for these dryads. As I've seen on various Creepypasta, fear isn't always induced by a quick death...or rather it is the paranoia of it that drives a person up the wall.

Quote :
I would also suggest leaving it ambiguous as to whether or not a Dryad can actually become a Wight Dryad after being nearly completely drained by one. Don't set it in stone either way, have there be no actual proven cases, but the Dryad network is FULL of stories about "A Dryad who knew this other Dryad, who knew this other Dryad..." accounts of it happening. The fact that they don't actually know what happens might be far scarier to Dryads than knowing the truth
Oh, sorta like an urban legend, right? I love those ^^

Quote :
Wight Dryads can be their boogeymen, basically- something that they fear as much, or even MORE than fire.
I'm the BOOGEYMAN! and I'm comin to get ya!!

If there's anything else you guys wanna say about Wight Dryads, by all means say so. I may be a prolific monster maker but I'm open for suggestions.
Back to top Go down
http://pimpdaddypichu.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
Quote :
Beware the kite eating tree!!

Laughing Wasn't sure if anyone would get the reference. Very Happy

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
Wight Dryads, as I pictured them, are indeed non social toward other Dryads (and other organisims for that matter). As for the aura it was actually meant to be more of a descriptive effect than anything else (kinda like how some people say that somehas a dark cloud over them when they're really depressed or something of the like). But, after hearing what Quantum stated, I thought hey, that's not half bad, and decided to go with that instead. So in away Wight Dryads are like the 'white noise' to the Dryad Network.

I like that idea a lot; 'white noise' is a very good way of describing the way they affect the Dryad Network. The closer they get, the harder it is for a Dryad to communicate with others, and the more that sense of pervasive dread spreads through the Dryad Network... until the Wight Dryad is right behind or in front of the Dryad, and she finds herself completely unable to communicate with the others.

You've got to imagine, it must be pretty scary from the perspective of distant Dryads, too; all of a sudden, they start getting more and more creeped out without knowing why, and then one of them just suddenly "drops out" of the network... maybe never to be heard from again. Eerie. Evil laugh

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
As far as consuming smaller prey is concearned, the idea of them draining of their lifeforce and soul whilst they're in their stomach is quite nice. So that way, we still get to see some quality vore action and we have an added twust to it as well, Everyone wins.

Seemed like a good compromise, that still managed to be within both Felarya's theme and that of the Wight Dryad. ^^

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
The Resident Evil in my wants to go with this, but Felarya is generally 'virus-proof' being the soil itself is said to cure various diseases. However, the illness (or rather illness-like) aspect of their transformation isn't readily dismissed, as you'll soon see in my post.

I like this idea (I did read the below); it's obvious that it isn't a disease or virus, because it's just not possible on Felarya. However, nobody does know what it is, or what causes it; so in the end, portraying "the affliction" with symptoms similar to a virus or mutagen isn't unfeasible. Very Happy

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
Ah, yes I see what you mean. I was, at first, aiming for a more sorrowful beginning as far as the birth of Wight Dryads go (being everything about them so far is gloomy and ominous) But, let's see how this works:

-The dryad in question, begins to grow more and more sluggish during the day, and generally finds it difficult to stay awake when most dryads are the most active, and she loses her urge to indulge in photosynthesis which only increases her state of weakness being now her body becomes starved of energy and nutirents, her leaves begin to take on an autumn colors and fall off leaving her branches (if any) bare. As days pass, the sapling soon finds it increasingly difficult to communicate with her sister Dryads via, the telapathy, eventually she loses the ability completely, by this time her appearance is noticeable amoung other dryads to the point where they feel something is wrong but yet they cannot communicate with her to find out just what it is that is bothering the youth. Days turn to weeks and the young dryad becomes inceasingly bitter toward others for she feels they've berayed her due to them not giving her any attention or help, by this time she's become so weak that she can no longer move 3 feet without collapsing on herself. With no energy left to move, and no friends to comfort her, she falls into a comatose state and begins her 2nd phase of metamorphasis.

As she sleeps her cracks, peels up and gives way to jagged rough and flaky bark. Her body gives off a fine mist which is the water evaporating from within her body which has become dry. small branches grow from her back and her roots dry up. By the time she awakens nearly a month has passed, and she is now free from the life of a normal Dryad but is trapped to the life of a Wight Dryad.

Maybe this could work, if not feel free to point out what's up with it, I'm generally half asleep so I can't catch too much about what's wrong with it. Any who I appreciate the feedback I've gotten on these girls.

The above works very well, in my opinion. Smile When I vizualize it in my mind, I picture a pretty bleak, ominous story, with the afflicted forlorn Dryad becoming more bitter and hostile because none of her sisters can help her. Excellent work. Very Happy

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
Hmm, you are right about that. Having them always kill their victims can take off some of the 'scare tactics' I originally intended for these dryads. As I've seen on various Creepypasta, fear isn't always induced by a quick death...or rather it is the paranoia of it that drives a person up the wall.

I agree completely. While they probably should sometimes kill their victims, having a Wight Dryad leave some of them alive could work wonderfully for building up that air of mystery and menace; the 'scare tactics', as you put it. Smile Maybe there's something special about the ones who survive, or maybe they're just lucky... or maybe the Wight Dryad just liked the way their life force tasted and plans to come back for a second helping later. Evil laugh

Who knows, Dryads might even start showing paranoia and suspicion towards those of their own kind who survive an encounter (or multiple encounters) with a Wight Dryad; maybe those individuals tend to be a little 'off' after the experience... or maybe the reason they survived is because they have the potential to become Wight Dryads themselves. Suspect Very Happy

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
Oh, sorta like an urban legend, right? I love those ^^

Exactly like an urban legend, yeah. Very Happy I'm quite fond of them myself. ^^

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
I'm the BOOGEYMAN! and I'm comin to get ya!!

"What makes Horror so frightening is the sense of dread that oozes from the surreal, nightmarish atmosphere...A trancelike tapestry of images and sounds that's completely mesmerizing..."

A quote I remember picking up some time ago. Very Happy Unfortunately, I can't recall where from, so I didn't credit it. Sad

Raetsu Lord Pichu wrote:
If there's anything else you guys wanna say about Wight Dryads, by all means say so. I may be a prolific monster maker but I'm open for suggestions.

Don't really know what more to say, other than I love not only the concept, but your execution of it; it is so much more impressive and has far more potential than just "an Undead Dryad". Fantastic job. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Technicolor Shamrock
Helpless prey
Technicolor Shamrock

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 11:25 am

Nice job. This is a great idea, but I was wary about it when I began to read the first post. It contrasted the way a dryad should be, in a way, and I guess that's what makes it such a good idea. Also, they way stories and unease could surround them goes perfect with the idea. Everything seems to be fitting together, and all in all seems like it could be a great addition to the Felarya universe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wight Dryad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wight Dryad   Wight Dryad Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wight Dryad
Page 1 of 1