Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wind elementals?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Aren't there any in Felarya?

Habitat: anywhere.

Wind Elementals' primary method of eating is to vacuum suck a victim into the "eye" of their very local (small) windstorm. Once there, horrified adventurers can watch as the victim hangs in midair and is digested, melted, and their liquefied form scattered away.

Their wind can be so fierce it'll rip a mech to pieces by spinning it insanely fast until it flies apart; then the tasty meal within can be swept to its deadly yet calm center.

You never know when a cool breeze is actually a wind elemental about to sweep you into its invisible stomach.

You kill a wind elemental by trapping it in an area of zero air pressure... a vacuum. One can bottle up an air elemental, but it will probably knock the container over and it will emerge really pissed.

Sound scary/original enough? Smile
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 14, 2008 11:19 pm

Wind elementals... tricky.

I don't see why there wouldn't be any in Felarya. Sure, you never see them in stories, but... you never see elementals in Felarya stories in general.

Quote :
You kill a wind elemental by trapping it in an area of zero air pressure... a vacuum. One can bottle up an air elemental, but it will probably knock the container over and it will emerge really pissed.

Or you take a cue from Ghost Rider.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 7:56 am

There ARE wind elementals in Felarya. They are simply refered as Air Elementals.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2008 4:01 pm

I may suggest you as a subspecies of air or wind elementals, sound elementals they are similar to wind in from but their attack are mostly based on the sound.

What do you think Question
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 8:55 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
There ARE wind elementals in Felarya. They are simply refered as Air Elementals.
Well then I could make it a Sylph... reimagined from its AD&D roots.

In DND, sylphs have a strong relation to air elementals...

A Sylph... similar to Felaryan fairies, but regular sized and quite beautiful. Their wings are typically gossamer, but the Elder Sylphs gain butterfly-like wings when they shed. Elder Sylphs are the most powerful sylphs, known for swelling into great hurricanes to consume armies massed to commit Sylph genocide - but they also consume Sylphs who try to eat children, pregnant women and nursing mothers. The official line is, to prevent the food supply from being exhausted, but the inability of a Sylph to eat a forbidden victim anywhere in Felarya, suggests a moral code is in play. Likewise, attempting to kill a Sylph child will invariably bring an Elder.

Sylphs tend to stay among the clouds, but may come down to inflict harm on uberpolluting cities, because of the damage it does to their habitat. Sylphs are thought to be fairy-air elemental halfbreeds, but in actuality they're from another dimension.

Sylphs shed their wings as part of their rejuvenation process. Their magic isn't in their wings, but they use their wings to feed off of sunlight and this facilitates the regeneration of their mana.

Sylphs eat living things to regenerate mana rapidly. They can turn into air elementals to consume them rapidly (a minute) or shrink them and digest them slowly, over a day, to keep their bellies full for times when food is scarce.

Sylphs are generally very fluffy and cannot be serious to save their lives, but they are also inquisitive and if confronted with impregnable defenses, some will turn serious and study it obsessively; even so, their chaotic minds allow them to circumvent things solely by accident. They are friends of Harpies and often exchange food with them. They like to taunt Crimson Maidens and they blow severe rainstorms into Crimson Woods and over Negav City (the rainstorm is the proximate cause of their magic, not the manifestation of their magic). Sylphs are the absolute bane of Dridders, especially in tunnels, as they sweep in these tighter spaces to amplify their windspeed and carry captured prey off to digest among the clouds, well out of the Dridders' reach. They snatch Delurans they catch out on patrol and also like to lure Miratan patrols to where they can consume, or breed with the males (they somehow mark their mates so other Sylphs cannot eat them), but they like to engage Miratans where Fuel Air Explosives are not ready to be deployed; FAEs will kill Sylphs, and large-yield nukes will vacuum an Elder Sylph into her fiery doom.

Sylphs are constantly trying Negav city's defenses, and have laid siege to Negav City and Nekomura a few times, devouring anything that steps outside. They tried to stir up a tornado to knock the Nekomura mini-Isolon Eye off its tower one time; they almost succeeded, but then the Nekos and humans adapted; now this is impossible.

Sylphs are a danger to ANY being of human size, as they will shrink and devour them. Stronger fairies swirl into large windstorms and are such a dire threat even to Felaryan Fairies and Nagas. Fairy and Naga magic, however, often stops them. Sylphs love Crisis due to her Fairy upbringing, and have bailed her out of a few tough battles with Naga hunters. Vivian has fought many battles with Sylphs and has not lost one; in fact she has eaten quite a few, though she cannot digest air, and thus many just blow right back out of her as a belch. Elders respect Katrika greatly and will not tolerate attacks on her by Sylphs. Those who kill Sylphs and are then caught, are sometimes brought directly to Katrika as a sign of respect and friendship. Sylphs were **MAJOR** offenders in Kortiki Town, and would routinely eat on sight, as many people there felt relatively safe around Fairies and Sylphs look like Fairies, but are not Fairies; as such, Nemyra personally banned them from there. Sylphs, like fairies, avoid insects like the plague.

More on this species if y'all aren't booing the crap out of them already!
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 9:02 am

I actually had the sylph idea in mind, and they would be fairy/elementals hybrid.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I actually had the sylph idea in mind, and they would be fairy/elementals hybrid.

Would not be, you mean? confused

Sean Okotami wrote:
Often erronously refered as a Fairy/Air Elemental hybrid, Sylphs are pure fairies.
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 9:28 am

I meant for Raveolution's idea.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I've been thinking about it for a while. Any advanced air elemental pred, like the kind of Sylph I am "designing", is staggeringly dangerous, specifically because of one simple thing:

every time you feel a gust, it could be an air elemental about to eat you.

That alone is enough to incite a lot of panic situations where someone detonates some air elemental-killing weapon on a false alarm - potentially killing themselves and others, and wasting a good weapon.

Yet at the same time, a good strong persistent vacuum means death for them.

The only SCARIER thing I can think of is a species of canopy fairy that roams everywhere and can cast belly warps while immaterial. You don't even get a gust of wind to warn you about that...
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 10:07 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I meant for Raveolution's idea.

My mistake, then. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:05 am

So now we're stuck with two Sylph creatures; a fairy and an elemental. If I was an ass, I'd say we'd have to take a choice, but my idea would probably have been rejected, and I would have gone mad. So, what do we do? We say there exist two creatures named the Sylph in Felarya?
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 11:38 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
We say there exist two creatures named the Sylph in Felarya?

There's no reason there can't be. Felarya is a multiversal nexus; maybe one of the 'Sylph' species isn't even native to Felarya, and arrived through the portals from another world, or a shift of dimensional space, or something. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

EDIT: Also, don't forget that Karbo has to approve the ideas anyways, so it's not a given that both (or even one) of the species will become canon.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
So now we're stuck with two Sylph creatures; a fairy and an elemental. If I was an ass, I'd say we'd have to take a choice, but my idea would probably have been rejected, and I would have gone mad. So, what do we do? We say there exist two creatures named the Sylph in Felarya?
First I think start a thread about your idea on the the sylph in the fairies and dryads sections was not a good idea No

I think you should debate with Raveolution here first.

Raveolution wrote:
They like to taunt Crimson Maidens and they blow severe rainstorms into Crimson Woods and over Negav City (the rainstorm is the proximate cause of their magic, not the manifestation of their magic). Sylphs are the absolute bane of Dridders, especially in tunnels, as they sweep in these tighter spaces to amplify their windspeed and carry captured prey off to digest among the clouds, well out of the Dridders' reach. They snatch Delurans they catch out on patrol and also like to lure Miratan patrols to where they can consume, or breed with the males (they somehow mark their mates so other Sylphs cannot eat them), but they like to engage Miratans where Fuel Air Explosives are not ready to be deployed; FAEs will kill Sylphs, and large-yield nukes will vacuum an Elder Sylph into her fiery doom.

I think they will avoid tunnel because it will be very easy to trap them and if we play with the ventilation, you can redirect them otuside. Wind elemental in narrow space are doomed that's why they prefer wide area with a strong exposure to wind like plain, deserts, seas, oceans, and the top of the mountains. And in the tunnels they can meet Earth elementals who are very efficient against them because earth oppose to wind or the natural predator of the elementals the pit nagas who can eat and catch spirit. I think the maiden won't have a problem to deal with them because I think they know how to burn an elemental with their magic.
Edit: fire is very efficient against wind elemental.

Raveolution wrote:

Sylphs are constantly trying Negav city's defenses, and have laid siege to Negav City and Nekomura a few times, devouring anything that steps outside. They tried to stir up a tornado to knock the Nekomura mini-Isolon Eye off its tower one time; they almost succeeded, but then the Nekos and humans adapted; now this is impossible.

As before if you play with the ventillation it won't be a problem, so I think Negav will have no problem to deal with them without necessary using magic by example powerful vaccum cleaner.

Raveolution wrote:

Sylphs are a danger to ANY being of human size, as they will shrink and devour them. Stronger fairies swirl into large windstorms and are such a dire threat even to Felaryan Fairies and Nagas. Fairy and Naga magic, however, often stops them. Sylphs love Crisis due to her Fairy upbringing, and have bailed her out of a few tough battles with Naga hunters. Vivian has fought many battles with Sylphs and has not lost one; in fact she has eaten quite a few, though she cannot digest air, and thus many just blow right back out of her as a belch. Elders respect Katrika greatly and will not tolerate attacks on her by Sylphs. Those who kill Sylphs and are then caught, are sometimes brought directly to Katrika as a sign of respect and friendship. Sylphs were **MAJOR** offenders in Kortiki Town, and would routinely eat on sight, as many people there felt relatively safe around Fairies and Sylphs look like Fairies, but are not Fairies; as such, Nemyra personally banned them from there. Sylphs, like fairies, avoid insects like the plague.

It's a bit exagerrate because they are not so invincible as you think. An elemental may be strong only against physical creature but against other magicals creature or creature able to attack directly the spirit their are very weak.The big flaw of an elemental they are predictable, since the moment you know his element.

It's true a wind elemental can be anywhere they will always tend to avoid narrow space and place they will be cut from the support of his element.

An elemental has a strong dependancy with his element, if he is cut from his element his power will start to weaken.

I will add this thing, you should stop to consider everything as an absolute verity.

The idea is interesting but it seriously needs to be shape, because you focuse a lot about the fact they oppose to many race in Felarya to make them as a serious threat but they are not so dangerous as you think No

Last edited by gwadahunter2222 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 12:56 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:
First I think start a thread about your idea on the the sylph in the fairies and dryads sections was not a good idea No

Why would it not be a good idea?

Oh, and it's just me, but when you create a new creature, never make absolute references to an established character. Why? Because it's way too specific.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:19 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:

Why would it not be a good idea?

Oh, and it's just me, but when you create a new creature, never make absolute references to an established character. Why? Because it's way too specific.
If two people have the same idea, I think to avoid problem they should discuss between each other to cooperate in a common project and avoid the risk of plagiarism.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Right.... But Raveolution's not on right now. So, debating right now would be hard.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 1:57 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Sean Okotami wrote:

Is the Sylph as I wrote it a fairy, or an elemental? I wrote it as a half breed capable of assuming either form, either completely a fairy, or completely an air elemental. Says a lot as to which forum it belongs in.

Quote :
I think they will avoid tunnel because it will be very easy to trap them and if we play with the ventilation, you can redirect them otuside.
They have to judge whether or not a threat is there to stop them. How likely are non-Naxylan Dridders to be able to stop them?

Quote :
Wind elemental in narrow space are doomed that's why they prefer wide area with a strong exposure to wind like plain, deserts, seas, oceans, and the top of the mountains. And in the tunnels they can meet Earth elementals who are very efficient against them because earth oppose to wind or the natural predator of the elementals the pit nagas who can eat and catch spirit. I think the maiden won't have a problem to deal with them because I think they know how to burn an elemental with their magic.
Edit: fire is very efficient against wind elemental.
True. I said they blow storms over the Crimson Woods, they don't sweep in as a storm themselves. They do sometimes come in and taunt the Maidens but not for long; fire can and does stop a wind elemental... if you know where it blew to. She ain't gonna just stand there and get flamed into an oxygen vacuum.

Quote :
As before if you play with the ventillation it won't be a problem, so I think Negav will have no problem to deal with them without necessary using magic by example powerful vaccum cleaner.
Yeah, that's why I said that humans in Negav city adapted. They just used to harass them. A lot of people can get eaten outside the walls during those few hours/days/weeks until their populace figures out a defense.

Quote :
It's a bit exagerrate because they are not so invincible as you think.
Woah, I never said they were anything close to invincible. I'm not even striving for invincible.

Quote :
An elemental may be strong only against physical creature but against other magicals creature or creature able to attack directly the spirit their are very weak.The big flaw of an elemental they are predictable, since the moment you know his element.
Granted, I picked an air elemental based creature because it's a biyatch to hit. The wind doesn't say in one place. Plus it's fun to watch the Miratans fire off their elemental-killing uber weapons on a false alarm.

Quote :
It's true a wind elemental can be anywhere they will always tend to avoid narrow space and place they will be cut from the support of his element.
True, I don't suggest that an air elemental would linger. Their best tactic is hit and run. Run like the wind. Laughing

Quote :
An elemental has a strong dependancy with his element, if he is cut from his element his power will start to weaken.

I will add this thing, you should stop to consider everything as an absolute verity.
I didn't imply absolute verity.

Quote :
The idea is interesting but it seriously needs to be shape, because you focuse a lot about the fact they oppose to many race in Felarya to make them as a serious threat but they are not so dangerous as you think No
I didn't do that or intend that. I pointed out at least one great pred who's never lost a fight with them. Never said they would stand their ground in the Crimson Woods and go toe to toe with death gazing flame throwers. I pointed out at least some of their flaws.

What I do say is if a breeze blows by your convoy and you're caught unprepared, someone could get eaten horribly before the Sylph's weaknesses get exploited. I did not say wizards, pit nagas or earth elementals had little to no chance against them. There's plenty of ways to kill a Sylph, but like with other predators, the game is all about whether you have them on hand at the time they show up - and if you can deploy it in time, and accurately.

The funny part about Sylphs is quite often corporeal, tech-based enemies sometimes kill themselves or their comrades trying to bring one down...
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Okay I will think of the realm my Sylphs are from, and name them as Sylphs from that realm. No need to debate, there can be two races of a certain name, as long as they're identified as from other realms, right?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 2:01 pm

It's just me, but I don't really like your idea. I don't think it's general enough. Also, possible the biggest flaw, is that you specify that the whole race knows one character, and is a nemesis of another race. Now, that can't happen, it's impossible for a full race of sentient being to all know the same person or thing.

So, like gwada said, since we had the same idea, a collab would be better.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 4:24 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
It's just me, but I don't really like your idea. I don't think it's general enough. Also, possible the biggest flaw, is that you specify that the whole race knows one character, and is a nemesis of another race. Now, that can't happen, it's impossible for a full race of sentient being to all know the same person or thing.

So, like gwada said, since we had the same idea, a collab would be better.
It would follow that an entire race knows a character that the Elders respect. The "don't fsck with her" memo would get around quick. "Psst... don't mess with that naga... the Elders will kill you if she decides not to." In the past years it folllows logically that she probably ate one or two of them for giving her trouble - which would establish for her quite a reputation.

But I'm not opposed to collaborating, of course. Collaboration implies interest. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wind elementals? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wind elementals?   Wind elementals? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wind elementals?
Page 1 of 1