Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sylph

Go down 
+4
Byakugan01
GREGOLE
/Fish/
Shady Knight
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 9:22 am

Okay, if you saw my Angin Plains thread, I mentioned Sylphs. So, let's get it done already. Keep in mind this is only a prototype.

Overview

Sylphs are a race of fairies specializing in the wind. Often erronously refered as a Fairy/Air Elemental hybrid, Sylphs are pure fairies.

Appearance

Like many fairies, Sylphs appears as cute, delicate humanoid of various size. Their most distinguishing feature is their wings. Unlike most fairies who have the wings of insects, Sylphs has feathered wings, like those of a bird. To be more exact, their wings is that of hummingbirds most of the time. In addition, many Sylph lacks antennas. Like many fairies, Sylph can change their size to very small, to downright gigantic in a matter of seconds.

Behavior

Most Sylph, just like many fairies, has a very foreign mentality from most humanoid races. However, Sylph are more carefree than most fairies. They also are very adventurous, flying anywhere the wind takes them. This make them quite unpredictable, as you can encounter them virtually anywhere. Like most fairies, Sylph are voracious, albeit slightly more voracious due to travelling very often. They, like their cousin, are extremely curious, wanting to know everything they don't know.

Abilities

Aside size-shifting abilities, which needs no introduction, Sylphs possess great mastery over the air that surrounds them. One of their most dreaded ability is to cover themselves in a cloak of wind, efectively turning them invisible to the naked eye. Like most Felaryan predators with wind related magic, they can blow up or suck up shrunken preys. One key difference is that they can suck up things in a sort of "auto-swallow" mode. In this instance, anything that is sucked up is automatically swallowed whole without the need of closing the mouth, while keeping sucking up for more with no interruption. They can spit up swallowed content in the same fashion as well. But, their is more to that ability. Sylph are dreaded by spell caster for being able to suck up their mana in the same way. If that wasn't bad enough, they can use said mana to blow a magic wind, with various effects, such as healing, or disabling, and much more. Sylph also possess the ability of manipulating sound waves, though only their own. They are effectively expert ventriloquists, and can turn said voice into a potent weapon, or to confuse their foe. It is said that a Sylph's voice is the second most beautiful voice heard after mermaids. Naturally, Sylph generally possess to usual wind magic, such as generating gusts of wind and all typical wind magic spells.

As said before, Sylphs are encountered virtually anywhere. But, they are much more concentrated in the Angis Plains, thanks to the special wind there.

Ideas to flesh them out are appreciated thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 2:38 pm

...I'd like some feedback and ideas, thank you.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSun Aug 24, 2008 8:19 pm

I'm sort of split on the hummingbird wings, as I can see a tiny variety of harpy being more likely than a bird-winged fairy. Although you did say they have hummingbird wings "most of the time". Not sure what that means.

EDIT: I think I've found a simple solution: hummingbird hawk-moth. Very Happy

These sylphs seem pretty powerful, having a lot of elemental control... Felaryan fairies themselves are extremely dangerous, and a pure-fairy with all these abilities seems a tad overpowered. I think you'd have to consider the possibility of make them a rare, half-elemental race like dusk nymphs and such.

I like the idea of them turning up "wherever the wind takes them", as well as the ventriloquism abilities. Not sure how a cloak of wind can hide them, though. I know it's magical in nature, but how about like a rippling cloak that can be easily identified, so as not to have giant, perfectly invisible fairies flying around. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 am

Well... Let's see...I can remove the sucking up mana ability, and replace it with being able to senses vibrations in the air with their antennas. Also, I think that they might be rather on the soft side, like they usually can't take much punishment. As for wings, it can vary, but some might possess hummingbird wings. Well, if you can help me make them better, I'm welcome to suggestions.
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 10:50 am

I'm gonna get hell for this, but I don't care.

I dislike this idea, on the grounds that it's furthering the notion that fairies are just winged humanoids and not insect hybrids. Fairies have insect wings, and that's the way I like them.

Now, I could see this working if they were related to fairies, just like dridders are related to nagas. But as an actual subspecies... it just doesn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 10:52 am

That's why I suggested the hummingbird hawk-moth's wings in lieu of actual hummingbird wings- they look similar, yet you still have the insect parts.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 am

Remake.

Name: Sylph
Size: Vary
Threat: Moderate to High

Sylphs are an hybrid race between fairies and air elementals. They tend to live in zones where there is a lot of wind. Sylph look just like your average fairies: Human/insect hybrids. However, the most common way to distinguish a Sylph from other fairies are their wings. Most commonly, their insect wings with be a lot bigger than most fairies, capable of folding, and also capable of wrapping around their bodies. Their skin, hair, and eye color is very varied, as well as which type of wings. Naturally, being wind users, sylph possess a dangerous range of wind magic, including the dreaded vacuum ability. Their antennas tend to be longer than average fairies, and are incredibly sensitive to vibrations in the air. Like most fairies, they can alter their own size as well as the size of others. They are usually more laid back than other fairies, going wherever the wind takes them. But they have many varying personalities. Sylph are very dangerous for humans, as they tend to be faster and more dexterous flyers, as well as more clever. However, Sylph are usually rather frail compared to other fairies, especially their wings.

Known Sylphs

Aileen

Better now?
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Is it better the idea of Sylphs now?
Back to top Go down
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 5:46 am

How would the wings fold or bend? Insect wings tend to be pretty stiff, and more often than not break when bent. So I'm curious as to how the fairy is managing to fold their wings like that...
Back to top Go down
GREGOLE
Survivor
Survivor
GREGOLE

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 10:45 am

Quote :
How would the wings fold or bend? Insect wings tend to be pretty stiff, and more often than not break when bent. So I'm curious as to how the fairy is managing to fold their wings like that...

The same way beetles fold their wings.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 am

GREGOLE wrote:
I'm gonna get hell for this, but I don't care.

I dislike this idea, on the grounds that it's furthering the notion that fairies are just winged humanoids and not insect hybrids. Fairies have insect wings, and that's the way I like them.

Now, I could see this working if they were related to fairies, just like dridders are related to nagas. But as an actual subspecies... it just doesn't work for me.

Like I said , I find the idea of some insect hybrid fairies interesting but I don't see the whole race of fairies like that...
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 am

Karbo wrote:
Quote :

Like I said , I find the idea of some insect hybrid fairies interesting but I don't see the whole race of fairies like that...

I don't know, I still have to agree with Gregole on this subject. Every hybrid predator so far with animal parts is considered to be part animal. I don't see why fairies should be the exception to this rule for no apparent reason. I mean, why would fairies specifically have insect wings, and many have antennae, if they arent part insect. Yes, they arent as insect-like as Gypsas, but how are a Gypsa, and a fairy with wasp wings and antennae, both not part wasp? it just seems odd tha fairies have insect body parts, and yet arent insect hybrids.

...fairies just being "Cute, magical, mischevious girls with wings" is FAR too stereotypical for me, and one of the things that makes Felarya unique is how it takes classic fantasy races, and puts a new spin on them to keep them from becoming stereotypical.

But thats just my (and apparently Gregole's) opinion, and in the end, Karbo has the final word.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 9:34 am

Its All 19 wrote:

I don't know, I still have to agree with Gregole on this subject. Every hybrid predator so far with animal parts is considered to be part animal. I don't see why fairies should be the exception to this rule for no apparent reason. I mean, why would fairies specifically have insect wings, and many have antennae, if they arent part insect. Yes, they arent as insect-like as Gypsas, but how are a Gypsa, and a fairy with wasp wings and antennae, both not part wasp? it just seems odd tha fairies have insect body parts, and yet arent insect hybrids.

...fairies just being "Cute, magical, mischevious girls with wings" is FAR too stereotypical for me, and one of the things that makes Felarya unique is how it takes classic fantasy races, and puts a new spin on them to keep them from becoming stereotypical.

But thats just my (and apparently Gregole's) opinion, and in the end, Karbo has the final word.

1)The fairies with insect wings is a stereotypical

2)Felaryan fairies are not stereotypical, except if their weaknesses is iron or just to say "I don't believe to fairies" to kill them yeah sure it will be a stereotypical.

3)The fact there are males fairies is not a stereotypical

4)The rule you want to apply is a good way to create stereotype, a stereotype is a standard than everyone approve, the fact there is exception to this rule avoid a systematic generalization. It's a god rule but I'm not for and I'm not against it

Sorry for you and everyone who believe fairies are hybrid humanoid/insect just because they have insect wings, it's not true.

The definition of the fairies is a supernatural being with magical power, their shapes vary depending of the myth, they are depicted are women, or small humanoid, the modern of the fairies with insect wings appeared in the Victorian Era, because in few myth few have wings, they can fly by magic, or riding a bird etc...

To be simple you can have wingless fairies with magical abilities.

There is no link between the fact they have magical abilities and the shape of their wings, unless if you want that.

And variety prevent from stereotypical and little remark there are more cliche in Science Fiction than in Fantasy in general because Science Fiction possess rules very strict and very restricting if you don't follow them the fiction won't be recognized as Science fiction, and the quality in a fantasy depend on how creative the author can be and how he shape his universe.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 10:34 am

Karbo has spoken. So let's keep that debate OUT of this topic, and in a thread dedicated specifically to the purpose of the insect-not insect fairy debate.

Anyways, I feel that at this point the Slyphs are pretty good. The one thing I don't understand is the wind invisibility. How does that work? (I am assuming you're still including this) Other than that it seems all good to me. I would expect to encounter one of these guys in the mist ocean.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:21 am

I liked the original idea a little more. Its because it was something unexpected. Sean if your still checking the topic may I re recommend the humming bird shape from your original idea? I'm not sure about the types of wings a fairy should have however, I do think that the shape for humming birds is one I didn't think of. A middle ground would be shape of humming bird's, transparent like insect wings. Though if your not up for that the other ideas are good too.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 am

Sylph Hummin10

Hummingbird Hawk-Moth wings = Compromise to Sean's original design.
Back to top Go down
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:49 am

The wings even look like hummingbird wings (and for that matter the moth itself looks like a hummingbird).
Spoiler:
I think this could also be an option. The atlas moth, one of-if not THE-world's largest moth. However, for the speed of the sylph I think the humming bird moth or humming bird-with some changes-may be better fits.
If it was hummingbird wings, I would say go for transparency coupled with thickened membranes and a jointed leading edge or bat type veining, with joints located at the veins to allow themselves to wrap their wings around themselves like you suggested. At the same time, it also preserves the insectish nature of fairies.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 9:25 am

I... can no longer decide what to do with them... Split between first model and second. Confused.
Back to top Go down
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 12:01 pm

Try flipping a coin. Remember after all this the choice still remains with you. Might be option one or could be option 2. Maybe its both or perhaps its something new. You also have the option of not making any decisions and calling it until you can think of an answer if any. Then there's always the neither, no wings installed in anyway or excetera.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 8:54 am

Okay, let's try a third model.

Name: Sylph
Size: Various
Location: Miscelaneous (loves wide open spaces and especially the Angis Plains)
Threat: Moderate to High

Sylphs, also known as Aero Sprites, Air Maidens, or whatever wind-related name for fairies you want to call them, are a sup-species of Wind Elementals/Fairies hybrids.

Appearance

- Sylphs have larger wings than most fairies.

- Their wings are covered with a very thin layer of down.

- Their antennas are longer than most fairies, and also have a thin layer of down.

- Their wings are unusually flexible for fairy wings, capable of wrapping around their body like a shroud.

- Their hair are very rarely spiky; usually very curvy.

- Although not visible, a perpetual air current surrounds their body, which has no real effect on anything except the lightest stuff.

- Their wings can take on unusual shapes, such as the shape of bird wings. There are some Sylph with bird wings.

Behavior

Behavior among Sylph individuals are extremely varied. However, they are commonly laid-back and adventurous, going wherever the wind takes them. It's not to say they are passive, they are simply very open to try new things. Most Sylphs travels in pack, but lone traveling Sylphs aren't unheard of. Most Sylph are clever, but rarely fierce, although exceptions aren't uncommon.

Hunting Habits

Like most fairies, Sylphs uses their size-shifting magic to either alter their own size, or the size of their prey. Unlike most fairies who relies on stealth, prefer catching their preys from head on, as they love wide space. That aside, their hunting habit are pretty much the same. Almost...

Abilities

- As stated before, most Sylph possess size-shifting abilities.

- Obviously, they possess deadly wind-based magic. This includes sound-based magic, and the dreaded vacuum spell to catch their preys.

- They are usually a lot faster and swifter in flight than most fairies, as well as more aerodynamics.

- While quick, most Sylph are weaker physically than most fairies, which is not saying much, unless you are a Crimson Maiden.

- Their antennas can act like powerful radars to detect movements in the air.

I do feel like they need more quirks, but oh well. Also, I decided to add the possibility of bird wings because, like gwada says, it adds variety. Water Sprite wings are more like fins, so why can't Sylph wings look like bird wings?
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 9:56 am

It's better Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Outlaw
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
Outlaw

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Its good. The only thing left now is to convince Karbo. I recommend sending a PM, see if he likes it and your done?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sylph Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sylph   Sylph Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sylph
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion :: Dryads and Fairies-
Jump to: