Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oni: A new race for Felarya

Go down 
+4
Pendragon
Malahite
vegeta002
NovusWolf
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NovusWolf
Marauder of the deep jungle
NovusWolf

Oni: A new race for Felarya Empty
PostSubject: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 3:40 am

The Oni are possibly the closest to neutral as any can find in Felarya. Thier size varies from species to species, but the smallest recorded is just over 9ft, while the largest recorded approximate close to 175-200ft. Oni have the most unusual ability to sense a adventurer's 'honor'-a mix of their motives, intentions and deeds. If a adventurer is deemed dishonourable, he is swallowed without a second thought! If they are honourable however, the Oni will spare them their fate, and possibly even become allies with the person!

Oni tend to have neutral thoughts on the other predators, however, they have a slight dislike for Harpies (due to their foul tongue, its rare to find a honourable Harpy!), but are extremely tolerant of Sphinxes (as a fellow creature of honor). Oni's tend to be easily perplexed by Faries, who's random and erratic behaviour has enraged many a Oni.

Oni favour tools and weapons, such as Katana's, Naginta's and Yari's, but these are either for show to intimidate smaller creatures, or to defend oneself and his allies. Oni are known to follow a variation of Bushido, even commiting Seppuku when they feel they have dishonoured themselves or thier friends, and especially when a Oni is too badly wounded to carry on living. To this end, every Oni carries a ceremonial 'Seppuku Knife' for this purpose.

The exact apperance of a Oni changes from Species to Species, but all are have heavily toned muscles that are very visable, and appear to look like Humanoids. Other physical extremities appear in each species as well.

As mentioned above, Oni swallow the dishonourable, but typically a Oni eats meat-a lot of meat. Usually this involves the animals around Felarya, as the consumption of a non-dishonourable person is heavily frowned upon is Oni society. As a species, Oni are pretty widespread, but the most stablished Oni colonies live close to the Forest of Whispers. These Enclaves (or Honba as the Oni call them) are typically run on a caste based system. Oni strive to reach their full perfection by following their caste-changing caste is not possible in Oni culture, and Oni from differant Castes are not allowed to interbreed.

There also exist 'Rouge Oni'-a Oni who takes pleasure in performing dishonourable acts. Rouge Oni enjoy bullying and taunting the other races, often looking for a fight, but commonly because the Rouge Oni gets pleasure out of it. These 'Rouge Oni' will eat anyone they come across, including honourable people and even smaller Oni species!

Oni speak a Japanese dialect. They understand Japanese, and a few have learned English.

Known Oni Species

Kingu Oni

The largest Oni species, identified by their towering height (200ft), Deep Blue skin and a horn formation on the skull referred to as a "Crown of Thorns".

They are the most isolationist breed, preferring the isolated Evernight Jungle as their home. They very rarely leave, except for young King Oni going out on their proving quest.

The proving quest has a varied requirement, depending on cast. A Metaru (trans: Metal) caste Oni may be tasked with finding a rare material for crafting, while a Bure-Do (trans: Blade) caste Oni may have to slay a powerful beast, or duel a potent warrior. Failure usually results in either Seppuku or Banishment.

King Oni however are not the kindest of Oni-because they're the biggest, they've got it into their heads that no one can beat them. As well as this making them naturally stubborn, King Oni have the highest proportion of Rouge Oni out of all the species!

'Y' Oni

So called because of the boney structure on their foreheads (which is in the shape of a Y), these Oni are about 9ft tall and otherwise hard to tell apart from a Human. They live in the trees of the Jungle of Perils, and often hel caravans and wayward travellers.

Due to their size, when menaced by a predator (for example: A Naga), all the Oni will join together and swarm over the poor pred, slicing it! Indeed, it isn't the size of this Oni that make him deadly-its his prowess with the sword, his athletics skills and the sheer numbers (if a Oni settlemet is attacked).

Frost Oni

Living up towards the top of Frost Peak lies the Frost Oni, who's personalities are as cold as the mountains they live in. They very rarely meddle with the affairs of others, instead spending time to practice their arcane frost spells, and even binding them into their swords. Most Oni frown upon the Frost Oni, seeing them as lazy. Frost Oni stand at 50ft tall.

Other members are free to contribute thier ideas and charecters, but Critique would be better right now.
Back to top Go down
http://deadplanet.forumotion.net
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 4:24 am

Very interesting, only eating dishonorable people. They need to find Gunther!
Back to top Go down
http://vegeta002.deviantart.com/
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 am

While an interesting race, I feel their "Eat Dishonorable Persons" trait will lead them to be disliking much more people in Felarya then the description seems to hint at. While for some I doubt people would have much trouble with [Merchants who had a habit of swindling, smaller Preds that were fond of false promises of safety, a Neko king who attained their position through what could be considered underhanded methods, etc], there are others I think that would really dislike the presence of a nearby Oni [See: Friends of the above three (and the above three themselves), those who use the dishonor in a matter vital for survival, etc].

Though I don't see how anything but huge swarms of Y-Oni could pose a threat to a fully grown Naga when using nothing but a sword.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 4:53 am

I agree with alot of Malahite's points, but I still like the concept. Nice job.
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 5:14 am

Malahite wrote:
While an interesting race, I feel their "Eat Dishonorable Persons" trait will lead them to be disliking much more people in Felarya then the description seems to hint at. While for some I doubt people would have much trouble with [Merchants who had a habit of swindling, smaller Preds that were fond of false promises of safety, a Neko king who attained their position through what could be considered underhanded methods, etc], there are others I think that would really dislike the presence of a nearby Oni [See: Friends of the above three (and the above three themselves), those who use the dishonor in a matter vital for survival, etc].

Though I don't see how anything but huge swarms of Y-Oni could pose a threat to a fully grown Naga when using nothing but a sword.

You'd think that about Army Ants would you? the entire swarm is fully capable of dragging down people-and such can a village of Y Oni take down predators much larger than themselves.

The Oni are aware of these things mentioned above-being disliked isn't a problem for most species, as they tend to be isolationist. On the other hand, even if a Oni is judge, jury and executioner, they can tell the circumstances surrounding the deed. If a person's misdeeds outweight their contributions, he's Oni-Chow.*

*Temporary solution put in lace. Its something i don't want to axe, but at the same time, partly due to mental difficulties, i'm having trouble explaining it.
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 6:15 am

Do they eat anyone because their dishonorable (by their standards) or people they know have done something bad?

Last edited by vegeta002 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong word)
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 6:18 am

vegeta002 wrote:
Do they eat anyone because their dishonorable (by their standards) or people they know have done something bad?

Its people they know have done something bad.
Back to top Go down
S-Guy
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
S-Guy

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Interesting, I like the idea of eating dishonorable people, but as Malahite said, the dishonorable greatly outweigh the honorable on Felarya. Sad
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 pm

S-Guy wrote:
Interesting, I like the idea of eating dishonorable people, but as Malahite said, the dishonorable greatly outweigh the honorable on Felarya. Sad

I suppose thats a lot of food then ^_^
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:27 am

NovusWolf wrote:
S-Guy wrote:

On the same token it kind of balances out. While a mass of Dishonorable people means much more potential eats, it also means they'll have to work much harder.
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:25 am

Malahite wrote:
NovusWolf wrote:
S-Guy wrote:

On the same token it kind of balances out. While a mass of Dishonorable people means much more potential eats, it also means they'll have to work much harder.

In English?
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 11:49 am

NovusWolf wrote:
Malahite wrote:
NovusWolf wrote:
S-Guy wrote:

In English?
"I challenge you to a fight of swords!"
"I shall accept your challenge."
*Oni drops their bow and steps out from cover, challenger fires a shotgun into their face*

When one is limited by being honorable, those who fight with dishonor will always have at least one advantage.
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 am

Malahite wrote:
NovusWolf wrote:
Malahite wrote:
NovusWolf wrote:
S-Guy wrote:

In English?
"I challenge you to a fight of swords!"
"I shall accept your challenge."
*Oni drops their bow and steps out from cover, challenger fires a shotgun into their face*

When one is limited by being honorable, those who fight with dishonor will always have at least one advantage.

Try doing that to a Kingu Oni, lets see who walks away laughing then...
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:12 pm

NovusWolf wrote:

Try doing that to a Kingu Oni, lets see who walks away laughing then...
With them you just need to work off their arrogance. Honor alone is one thing, Honor with Arrogance is just asking to have trouble. I could see a Faerie having a field day with one [which you have already noted in post 1].
Back to top Go down
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:27 pm

Arrogance? Isn't that what you get when you have too much pride? People like that are screwed from the start, even in a normal world.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 pm

vegeta002 wrote:
Arrogance? Isn't that what you get when you have too much pride? People like that are screwed from the start, even in a normal world.

Opening Post wrote:
King Oni however are not the kindest of Oni-because they're the biggest, they've got it into their heads that no one can beat them.

Yes, that's arrogance. Gives a bit of a fearlessness to the individual, but also leaves them open to much more risks than a cautious / self-aware person.
Back to top Go down
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 11:23 pm

Thier arrogance is there as a charecter flaw.The Kingu Oni are a nod to where the original Oni came from: A Japanese malevolent spirit that enjoys bullying and tormentig people.
Back to top Go down
ericnthered123
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
ericnthered123

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 4:58 pm

A very interesting race. So are they like gaints in apperance but just have horns?
Back to top Go down
http://ericnthered123.deviantart.com
NovusWolf
NovusWolf

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 12:15 am

ericnthered123 wrote:
A very interesting race. So are they like gaints in apperance but just have horns?

There are others, but i admit i've not been working since everyone else shot it down Sad
Back to top Go down
Reptillian
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
Reptillian

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 3:10 pm

I love the idea, all i want to know is how long u used to think of all this?

And may i suggest something like a black/dark oni, who would only eat the good willed people, instead of bad willed.
Back to top Go down
http://snicer.deviantart.com/
vegeta002
Hero
Hero
vegeta002

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:15 am

Reptillian wrote:
And may i suggest something like a black/dark oni, who would only eat the good willed people, instead of bad willed.

Yes, can't have the nice people feeling left out.

As for the color of the standard ones, I say some red and some blue.
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:21 pm

vegeta002 wrote:
Very interesting, only eating dishonorable people. They need to find Gunther!
They wouldn't be Oni if they found him. They'd be 'heroes' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Raveolution
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Raveolution

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm

Reptillian wrote:
I love the idea, all i want to know is how long u used to think of all this?

I agree totally. If for no other reason but the potential outrage factor!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oni: A new race for Felarya   Oni: A new race for Felarya Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oni: A new race for Felarya
Page 1 of 1