Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lizard hybrids

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 1:30 am

Well, we've all seen how much intrest geckotaurs have recieved lately. I know many people, including myself, have liked the creativity of the idea, and how different it is. I got to thinking and I think there need to be more lizard based hybrid creatures. Lizards come in almost every form imaginable, and live in just about every corner of the planet. I think that Geckotaurs should be re-classified as a sub-species in this larger group. This makes the most sense to me, and it opens the doors to an entirely new family of hybrids.

My working name for the group is Squamataurs. All lizards belong to the order Squamata. This sounds like a decent enough name to me, and it keeps with my pattern of using real animal names when I name things. I am certainly open to other suggestions though.

Known Squamataur species:
~ Geckotaurs

Possible Squamataur species:
~ Crocotaurs (I know the name sucks, but its just an idea..and its 3am, cut me some slack XP): These powerful creatures posess the upper bodies of humans, and the lower bodies of crocodiles. They would live in and around rivers and lakes. They mainly use high-speed ambush tactics to grab any prey that strays too close to the water. They are also capable of extremely fast bursts of speed on land, especially in straight lines. Their powerful claws and tails can also make effective weapons to defend themselves. (yes, fellow science nerds, I know that crocodiles belong to the order Crocodillia, not the order Squamata, but I felt they were lizard-like enough to lump in with the rest)

~ Gilataurs: These predators have the upper bodies of humans, and the lower bodies of Gila Monster lizards. These tough creatures thrive in the Felaryan deserts. Their bodies are tough, durable, and very capable of surviving the intense heat, and dryness of th desert. Unlike other lizards, they are venemous, and have fangs to use for self defense. Their tough skin, venom, sharp claws and short but powerful tails make them an opponent to not take lightly.

~ Chemaeleotaurs: They have the upper bodies of humans, and the lower bodies of chemeloon lizards. They speciallize in moving stealthily, and unseen through the trees when they hunt. They can alter their coloration to better blend in with the surrounding envionment. Chemaeleotaurs have the unique ability to independantly focus their eyes, allowing them to look in two directions at once. They stalk closer and closer to their prey, remaining unseen the whole time. When close enough, they shoot out their long, sticky tongue to capture their prey in the blink of an eye.

~ Caudataurs: These creatures have the upper bodies of humans, and the lower bodies of salamanders.They live in moist, humid areas and tend to stay wthin walking distance of a water source to moisten their skin when needed. Like other lizard species, they would sneak close to their prey and use their tongues to quickly capture and swallow them. These creatures would be right at home in areas like bulvon wood. (once again, fellow science nerds, I know salamanders are amphibians, but they're semi lizard-like, so I decided to lump them in with the lizards)

~ Pygopoditaurs: alright, Im just doing this one for fun ^_^. A rare and elusive group of lizard hybrids with the lower bodies of legless lizards. Many travellers have confused them with nagas at fiirst sight. Calling one of these creatures a naga is actually a good way to get away, as the creature will then go out of is way to explain how it isnt a naga, and become distracted enough for you to try and escape.

On another note, what about more dinosaur themed hybrids? An Ankylosaurus hybrid would be awesome ^_^.

Well, this is just my idea. I think that lizard hybrids have the potential of a massive amount of variety. I mean, snakes, as awesome as they are, are not nearly the only group of reptile. Im open to suggestions, and I hope you guys like this idea.

These are in no way complete ideas, so feel free to pick them up and run with them if they appeal to you. Im just putting my thoughts out there ^_^.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 9:35 am

A very cool main group to build more reptile-based predators on.^^ When I think of lizard-based taurs, many come to mind- thorned lizards, komodo dragons, gliding lizards and more. I also support dinosaur-based ones as well.

Crocodile taurs were suggested here before.
I've actually been thinking about an amphibian-based taurian group in much the same way you have with the reptilian ones- perhaps the caudataurs and their amphibian cousins can be given a group of their own?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 9:55 am

/Fish/ wrote:
A very cool main group to build more reptile-based predators on.^^ When I think of lizard-based taurs, many come to mind- thorned lizards, komodo dragons, gliding lizards and more. I also support dinosaur-based ones as well.

Crocodile taurs were suggested here before.
I've actually been thinking about an amphibian-based taurian group in much the same way you have with the reptilian ones- perhaps the caudataurs and their amphibian cousins can be given a group of their own?

Well, Im glad you liked the idea ^_^. Yeah, lizards and similar reptiles come is so any different shapes and sizes, the variety is nearly endless. I thought about a komodo dragon tauric creature, but I couldnt think of anything to make it stand out, so I left it off. Gliding lizard hybrids could be cool too...I also toyed with the idea of a Basilisk lizard hybrid that could run across water for short distances. Yep, dinosaur, or prehistoric animal based hybrids ould be cool as well. Maybe a pterosaur hybrid, or even a megalodon hybrid to give leviathan mermaids some competiton...speaking of that, where are all he shark-maids?

lol, but I digress. Yeah, I remember that crocodile girl thread now, I just never really looked at it. I kind of prefer a more tauric croc hybrid. One that walks on two legs seems awkward, and a tauric one would retain a more crocodillian feel to it.

I could see the Caudataurs having their own group. I just decided to lump them in with the lizard ones for now, since theyre similar. There's plenty of amphibians that could be used for hybrids too. Salmanders, frogs, toads, news, etc. there's a lot of potential with amphibians.

Im glad you have shown intrest. hopefully others will too ^^
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 10:49 am

I think GREGOLE's dealt with pterosaur-harpies, and I designed a megalodon-based taur in this thread. There's been several incarnations of shark-maids, actually, though they haven't gained much support. :/

For some reason I really want to see a marine iguana based taur, perhaps living on the islands of the Topazial Sea?
Back to top Go down
Byakugan01
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 11:07 am

It would be interesting to see ones based on the hellbender or other giant salamanders. And I don't see why you COULDN'T have dinosaur themed hybirds. It would make things pretty interesting. All in all, great idea! And Felarya is perfect for lizard hybirds, seeing as how quite a bit of it seems to be either forest or arid (excluding the ocean, of course). Go for it! And I can think of a way to explain dinosaur hybirds VERY nicely (I'm thinking about a certain desert...). Here are a few ideas: raptaurs (tauric dinosaur), frilled lizard-based taur, and a turtle/tortise hybrid.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 6:28 pm

Squamataurs mhh.. Great names I think Razz
And some really interesting idea here ! ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 10:03 pm

Though you say you came up with the legless lizard-based Pygopoditaurs for fun, I felt like elaborating on them a little more:

Pygopoditaurs
Bodies are less flexible than that of a naga, and some call them “glass nagas” for their seeming frailty- in fact, some predators swear that they fall to pieces the second they get caught- literally!
In actuality, they are able to separate a large portion of their tails from their bodies as a defense mechanism- the tail will remain twitching as the pygopoditaur gets away. Non-sentient predators will often be satisfied with the half they leave behind, while sentient ones who have not encountered one before will often be freaked out. Though the separation is instantaneous, it takes them a long time to regrow their tail, even with the healing factor of Felarya's soil, and will never grow back to be quite as proportionately long again. Not to mention that while healing, the pygopoditaur will need to eat more- and with their mobility hampered by the separation to boot, it is a last-ditch effort to escape predation.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:51 am

Wait, someone already invented croc and chameleon hybrids before I did!?!God freakin damnit!XP

Hah, I'm suprised I didn't see this.If you need help with this, I'm your man.Very Happy

Though for chameleotaurs, I would suggest making some individuals have no eyelids, like I did for one of mine.It may make them look a little creepy, but thats natural.Razz
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 12:42 pm

Zillachary wrote:
Wait, someone already invented croc and chameleon hybrids before I did!?!God freakin damnit!XP

Hah, I'm suprised I didn't see this.If you need help with this, I'm your man.Very Happy

Though for chameleotaurs, I would suggest making some individuals have no eyelids, like I did for one of mine.It may make them look a little creepy, but thats natural.Razz

Well, I wasnt laying claim to any particular species (expect maybe Gila Monster hybrids, since I've already used one in a story). I was jsut saying that there is a huge potential for many great lizard hybrids that is being overlooked. If you want to make Croc or Chameleon hybrds, by all means, feel free too ^^. I was just giving some examples here of some possibilities. Thats's why I didnt go into great detail with each group.

Hmm...Don't know about the no eyelids thing. Maybe they could oepn their eyes very wide when they go to focus on two different things, making it seem like their eyelids disappear. A humanoid race would need eyelids, or their eyes would quickly dry our/get dirt caught in them, etc.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 1:57 pm

rcs619 wrote:

Hmm...Don't know about the no eyelids thing. Maybe they could oepn their eyes very wide when they go to focus on two different things, making it seem like their eyelids disappear. A humanoid race would need eyelids, or their eyes would quickly dry our/get dirt caught in them, etc.

They could have invisible eyelids, like snakes and some species of lizards.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Zillachary wrote:

If you mean like a second pair of eyelids that are clear, like Vulcans, then yeah.
Back to top Go down
Zillachary
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zillachary

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 6:26 am

/Fish/ wrote:
Zillachary wrote:

If you mean like a second pair of eyelids that are clear, like Vulcans, then yeah.

Yeah, like that.

I'm gonna chat with Karbo about the idea of a new race of reptile based species, as well as get guys like GREGOLE to mess around with some of the ideas shown here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lizard hybrids Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lizard hybrids   Lizard hybrids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lizard hybrids
Page 1 of 1