Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?

Go down 
+6
Karbo
Oldman40k2003
AisuKaiko
rcs619
gwadahunter2222
/Fish/
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Empty
PostSubject: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Out of harpies, razias, miaxi, gyspas, nemiseses, succubi, dryads and actiniaes... Can we at least make a few of these eight single-gender races dual-gender if nothing but for the sake of looking less ridiculous? By the time we hit ten or twelve single-gender races, it'll look mighty silly.

I vote dryads and actiniaes to not be only women hybrids because the others make sense to a degree.

Succubi wouldn't stand out if they were just given their male counterpart, the incubi. Like the giantesses. Yeah.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 pm

Incubi even if it's a male counterpart of a succubus it has to be considered as whole race and not the just the male version.
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 4:36 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Incubi even if it's a male counterpart of a succubus it has to be considered as whole race and not the just the male version.

Not really, that's basically what it amounts to in mythology, only tweaked for the fears of women instead of men.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:22 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Not really, that's basically what it amounts to in mythology, only tweaked for the fears of women instead of men.
In myths Succubus and Incubus are the same entity who just change its gender according to their need.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:24 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
In myths Succubus and Incubus are the same entity who just change its gender according to their need.

Yeah. I thought you made the opposite point that they should count as seperate species for some reason (I thought you meant whole 'seperate' race).
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Yeah. I thought you made the opposite point that they should count as seperate species for some reason (I thought you meant whole 'seperate' race).
It was irony Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:32 pm

To be fair, I never stated that Actinia were a one-gender race.

I could see male Dryads too. No real reason to not have them, that I can see. Is it explicitly stated that Dryads are one-gender? or just assumed?

As for Gypsas and Miaxi, you'd have to contact their creators to get the okay to change them. Why not compromise and have them be similar to hornets and bees on Earth? One fertile queen, a male to mate with her, and the rest are sterile female drones?
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:38 pm

Hmm...

Harpies are based on their mythical counterparts, and are pretty developed on being only one gender, and by extension, Razias would be similar (unless someone were to come up with some far-fetched evolutionary explanation)

Nemeses don't need to be single sex, I don't get why they are. I found nothing about Rokurokubi that said that they are exclusively female.

Actinae and Dryads can be both, I guess. I thought Dryads were exclusively female in mythology, but we could make a male variant.

We can have Incubi as long as they don't look like the Megaten variant.

Miaxi and Gypsa can have males, I guess, but they'd need to be realistic to their Earthling counterparts.

Last edited by AisuKaiko on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm

AisuKaiko wrote:
Razias would be similar (unless someone were to come up with some far-fetched evolutionary explanation)

According to their creator, Nksrocks, they function as hermaphrodites for mating. This is not reflected in their wiki entry.
Back to top Go down
Oldman40k2003
Oldman40k2003

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
Out of harpies, razias, miaxi, gyspas, nemiseses, succubi, dryads and actiniaes...

Hmm, my thoughts on the subject of single gender races:

• Harpies - Based off of a female mythological creature, so pretty justified in my opinion.
  • Razias - Seems to be something that needs to be worked out between their creator and Karbo.
  • Miaxi & Gyspas - Changing them would require talking to their creators, but since they're based off of bees and wasp they would have very few males, being practically single gender races. (In fact, in some species the male mates once with the queen, transfers all of his sperm, then dies. The queen's body keeps the sperm alive and fertilizes her eggs as needed.)
  • Nemiseses - The wiki implies that there are male nemiseses, just not on Felarya. (To quote: "On Felarya all nemesises are females." Why there are only females on Felarya is not mentioned... perhaps males are rarely born and so are well protected?)
  • Succubi - In my personal opinion the succubi should be merged into a "sex demon" subtype of demon, which would also include inccubi.
  • Dryads - I don't see why there shouldn't be male dryads as well.
  • Actiniaes - An all "female" single gender race that actually makes (at least a little) sense. From the wiki: "Actiniaes reproduce by budding, a piece of their body, such as a tentacle, being able to regenerate into a small Actinia." Their process of reproduction ("Actiniaes reproduce... a piece of their body... into a small Actinia.") sounds more like how the gender we call "female" acts, than how the gender we call "male" acts.
Back to top Go down
http://oldman40k2003.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Ahhh...he changed the Actinia reproduction cycle. In my original idea, the males and females just released their genetic material into the water during mating time. It drifts, mixes, and the fertilized egg settles down where it begins to grow.

Didn't notice the addition of budding.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 am

Um I'm sorry but I'm not big on the idea... I agree we should limit one single gender races for now but I'm not really for changing existing ones...

Rcs619 : Errr I actually asked you beforehand ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 am

Karbo wrote:
Um I'm sorry but I'm not big on the idea... I agree we should limit one single gender races for now but I'm not really for changing existing ones...

Just looked to me that giving a male counterpart to most of these would change them in no way significantly as a race, and would instead provide wider character opportunity. If I thought I'd be changing them significantly I would not have brought it up.

But okay.

Still think it's stupid that plant-people and SEX DEMONS are single-gendered. Hmph.
Back to top Go down
nightgolem
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
nightgolem

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:43 am

My opinion on the dryads is I see no point in making it a male and female race. In mythology they are only female, and seeing as they are plants and have seeds.. What would be the point in changing so much detail now? I'm sure changing the pre existing female only races to male and female would effect a lot of things. I wouldn't think it worth it. Like okay, there's males, how do they court, how do they act around the males, how do they have kids with the males, what are the males roles to these woman? It would change a few things if males where suddenly naturally occurring in species that before didn't have it naturally.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/lostdemise/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:45 am

nightgolem wrote:
My opinion on the dryads is I see no point in making it a male and female race. In mythology they are only female, and seeing as they are plants and have seeds.. What would be the point in changing so much detail now? I'm sure changing the pre existing female only races to male and female would effect a lot of things. I wouldn't think it worth it. Like okay, there's males, how do they court, how do they act around the males, how do they have kids with the males, what are the males roles to these woman? It would change a few things if males where suddenly naturally occurring in species that before didn't have it naturally.

Reasoning:

You can make 'wood' jokes about male dryads.

And um.

They'd have awesome green beards.

(Note to self: If no male dryads, make female dryad with green beard.)
Back to top Go down
nightgolem
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
nightgolem

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 am

Your reasoning is you want to make wood jokes and have a green beard?

Besides the reasons I said before, my motive is also because the dryads from my character bryos world are all only female. Because hes unnaturally a dryad and so looks so feminine and would only have female children.. if felaryas dryads naturally had males and females bryo would stand out more then he already does. Instead of blending in as just a unique dryad he would sort of stand out more then I want him to unless I drastically changed his history and rethought and rewrote whatever i had written of his fan fiction so far.
Back to top Go down
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:52 am

nightgolem wrote:
Your reasoning is you want to make wood jokes and have a green beard?

Besides the reasons I said before, my motive is also because the dryads from my character bryos world are all only female. Because hes unnaturally a dryad and so looks so feminine and would only have female children.. if felaryas dryads naturally had males and females bryo would stand out more then he already does. Instead of blending in as just a unique dryad he would sort of stand out more then I want him to unless I drastically changed his history and rethought and rewrote whatever i had written of his fan fiction so far.

I see.
Back to top Go down
nightgolem
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
nightgolem

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 3:00 am

Yes, and if I wanted the natural species of dryad that was used to make him who and what he is still similar to the ones in felarya but using a tree not native to felarya I would need to refigure out his genetics. Why he would only have daughters, why instead of going through puberty to grow more masculine he becomes more feminine instead..If bryo looked more like other boys his age he just wouldn't be bryo anymore ^^;
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 am

I'm going to have to agree that Dryads should remain a female race. I don't understand how Harpies get the "It's cool, mythology made them female", when Dryads have pretty much the exact same thing. Suspect A conspiracy, to be sure.

The closest thing to a "male" Dryad is a treant and they are a different species as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:15 am

Wait....if I remember right, didn't Karbo himself draw a male Dryad once?

*points* Yep, thought so =P
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/175/e/7/Naga_and_fairies_by_Karbo.jpg
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 am

Ah yes, that Treant whose name escapes me...
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
nightgolem
Veteran knight
Veteran knight
nightgolem

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 am

rcs619 isn't that a Treant in that picture not a male dryad? ^^;
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:12 am

That is, I believe, Teron. (Teronaadrashsravinkal)

He is a treant.

http://felarya.com/wiki/index.php?title=Teron
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
/Fish/
Hero
Hero
/Fish/

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

So Treants serving more or less as male counterparts to dryads?

That could work.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 pm

/Fish/ wrote:
So Treants serving more or less as male counterparts to dryads?

That could work.
I agree. Also, if these treants follow the general norm in mythology and fantasy, they'd be able to move a round a lot more (compared to dryads). This would solve the issue of how dryads get a mate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?   Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can we cut down on single-gender races? Maybe a little?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next