Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Role-Playing Manifesto

Go down 
+2
Malahite
Valddeus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Valddeus
Tasty morsel
Valddeus

The Role-Playing Manifesto Empty
PostSubject: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 7:12 am

Many people here want a better role-playing experiance, so I have decided to sum up my ideas about how the role-playing experiance should be. Now firstly the making of characters now personally I think we don't need to use chracters like Chaos in a role- playing unless of course her creator is playing her of course but there numerous races across Felarya and a little creativity would not be so bad from the players and the moderators. Another aspect that we need to put in,is a detailed format that a person can go by making their character. Things won't last if you don't have a basic platform for bringing the people in. If you look at different sites like Alleria that specialize in role playing games it's loaded with basic fundamentals, so when you start you have character age,attire,weapons,magic etc,etc. Now if we had that we would have stability, but one thing I did not like about Alleria it was too strict. So here some things I would not like in an Rp game in terms of just being too strict.

1) For one I believe that the people who play the game have enough ingeniuty to create their spells, but if they are too strong that might not be much fun right, but it is my opinion that if any restrictions are present it will draw people away so leave it for the player to decide.
2) For two I truly believe that the player of the role-playing game should be able to make his own character history. Since it is known as a fantasy role-playing game, it is wise that you allow the players to think. The main principle of a Role-playing game is fantasy so have the game live up to that principle. If the story bases itself around a common plot allow freedom of the character to make decisions.
3) For three I believe the player in some circumstances usually at the start of the game when the stats,age and etc,etc are straight one should also be able to arrange side characters from his own mind to aid him in whatever quest he should be in.
4) Lastly whoever the moderator is of the particular story or game work in a flexible way with the player and take both sets of principle and ideas into a account in a nonsuperficial way.

Any more ideas? Add it to the Manifesto!
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 9:27 am

Here's one I'd like to see:

5) Competant 'Villains'. They don't need to be Die Hard 1 / 3 good, but a villain who can actually shoot with some accuracy, will take note of their targets actions, etc. would be a wonderful opponnent in an RP. Of course, this is a bit of a problem as most RP characters here tend to range in the 'higher' tier of characters (I'd pit most of them at least in what would count as 'Epic' in D&D). As such, that would require some vastly overpowered villains.

Anyways, about what you stated:

Yes, we should be able to create our own spells. They should make sense, though. If you have some D&D / Whitewolf / Whatever novel on your hand, you should compare the spell to similar ones in them. If you're running around with a spell that is quite comparable to a "Death Ray" spell, make it so you can't go casting it on a whim (No Lord Soths!).

Character history is great. Similarly, it allows you to have an excuse for an RP character to NOT be good in combat. "I'm a crummy soldier, but that's okay. I use to be a farmer before this."

Side characters also makes sense at the beginning. You should mention them beforehand to the RP creator before you veer off his / her path, but it is nice to have your own interactions not dictated by story alone. A meaningless chat with the local barkeep to hint at maybe something to do after the RP storyline, for instance.

And yeah, the Mod should leave some flexibility. If we wanted to play a linear RP, we would.
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 1:32 pm

I believe a lot of what you're saying but for them most part, we who play the game want to use our most powerful characters in the game. Those characters in our own mind need to be objectified before use in a game, hence the moderator or in my own game here's case a Gamemaster.

True, the player needs the ability to decide what they want but they shouldn't discount the input of a Mod or GM.

To Malahite: you have a point about the villain being competent and able to hold his own. Now, I consider myself evil but I am by no means an evil genius, so making a competent villain for a Role-Playing scenario is beyond my grasp. Temporary evil villains for a Role-Play is within my own grasp.

Heroes, are my forte for sure, but even then I can only make generic style heroes. Not that I don't try but my only real good idea for a reluctant hero would know enough to stay away from portals. That and he doesn't have a villain yet.

In any case, you both have raised interesting ideas; however, I believe this is better placed in the discussion board and not in the role-play board.

If a Moderator or administrator sees this message, please move it to the discussion board.
Back to top Go down
http://Spykeofkonoha.deviantart.com
Valddeus
Tasty morsel
Valddeus

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Spykeofkonoha wrote:
I believe a lot of what you're saying but for them most part, we who play the game want to use our most powerful characters in the game. Those characters in our own mind need to be objectified before use in a game, hence the moderator or in my own game here's case a Gamemaster.

True, the player needs the ability to decide what they want but they shouldn't discount the input of a Mod or GM.

To Malahite: you have a point about the villain being competent and able to hold his own. Now, I consider myself evil but I am by no means an evil genius, so making a competent villain for a Role-Playing scenario is beyond my grasp. Temporary evil villains for a Role-Play is within my own grasp.

Heroes, are my forte for sure, but even then I can only make generic style heroes. Not that I don't try but my only real good idea for a reluctant hero would know enough to stay away from portals. That and he doesn't have a villain yet.

In any case, you both have raised interesting ideas; however, I believe this is better placed in the discussion board and not in the role-play board.

If a Moderator or administrator sees this message, please move it to the discussion board.

You make an excellant point and in my opinion the Great Unkown seems like the rp with the best format in this forum. This Manifesto however is simply to have the people brainstorm their ideas of their perfered style role-playing game. To help those who decide to do so in future appeal to the users of this site. I plan to make one as well and plan use this manifesto to do so. Now as for moving this in the discussion board I think i'll take your advice but the thread about the structured rp on this forum is quite similiar.
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Oh that, I know. I had suggested it be moved and for a time it was but then it got moved back because someone saw the word's "role-play" in it. Since then it's stayed there. Stupid, I know but I'm too busy with my life right now to do much about it.
Back to top Go down
Valddeus
Tasty morsel
Valddeus

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Spykeofkonoha wrote:
Oh that, I know. I had suggested it be moved and for a time it was but then it got moved back because someone saw the word's "role-play" in it. Since then it's stayed there. Stupid, I know but I'm too busy with my life right now to do much about it.
Friend I have to say your rp has the most structured format in this forum.Man it really is a shame theres no more as good and fundamental as yours. It is always good to stick to the fundamentals. Without the fundamentals an rp does not last long. The Great Unknown is the example of a good rp that sticks to the fundamental concepts of how a role-playing game should be.
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 3:15 pm

Thank you for the compliment. I've been to many a (strictly) Role-play forum and I've picked up many of the key fundamental bases for a good role-play as well as character creation. Which brings me to an addition to your manifesto.

6) Game Masters, Moderators and Administrators should be objective with their decisions about what a player should change or take out of their "creation sheet." A player is allowed a good measure of creativity in their character on the game but as with all games; God-like characters shouldn't be allowed but if the character is within reason then it shouldn't be rejected.

7) Respect the Moderator or Game Master's decisions. They are the ones keeping order in the game. Arguing with their decision, if justified, should be done in private and not in the game itself. Private Messages were created for a reason.

I can't count how many times a person has come up to me and asked if I could make an exception on a decision of mine while in the game. I generally ignore those but ever so often I'll reply to it via Private Message with my answer. I generally do take things like that under consideration if it is brought to me in some way shape or fashion but if the person is belligerent or just plain rude I would give them a warning or just ban them if I was the administrator.

I have always been a stickler for the rules and people learn that quickly with me but there are a few stragglers every so often. I don't like being the mean guy when it comes to telling a person that their character needs to be re-done for the purpose of using him/her in a game. They never take it easy and to be honest, I can never blame them for it.

Anyhow, these are what I came up with while sitting and staring at my homework assignments.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 3:38 pm

I think we would also need a thread introducing you to RP along with the brainstorming thread.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Sean Okotami wrote:
I think we would also need a thread introducing you to RP along with the brainstorming thread.

Heh, I can't count how many people have already said something similar. I even had one person PM me saying that they wanted me to make a "Character creation sheet" or was it a Standard for everyone to follow for this portion of the site.

Quite honestly I really don't have the time to devote to something like that. It's best if the creators of the threads look after their threads for the time being. If you're up to the challenge then go ahead and propose it to Karbo, submit a rough draft to him and see what he says. If he gives you the "Okay," then go ahead and write the final draft. Other than that, I can't say or do much of anything on my end.
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Hm, a big thing to add to the RP:

Realistic or no?

This will get important with certain characters. Basically, it is a "Low or High Fantasy" classification. If you intend a Predator to remain the Apex of the RP unless greatly outnumbered (Or to be outsmarted), you could consider the RP to be 'low' fantasy (Namely because then a human who can die to a single stab isn't really that much of a loss). Meanwhile, if you intend things to happen like a DBZ / Naruto / Final Fantasy / Whatever fight, you could easily put it as 'High' fantasy and not have to worry about some crazy things (Like 17 year old Weapon Masters and the liking).

Similarly, you may want to leave a certain "Power Cieling" in RP's. In one, you may want no-one better then what amounts to common Jedi / Inquisitor / Adventurer level, while another may be set to leave anything between "Harmless Peasant" to "HADOKEN!"
Back to top Go down
Spykeofkonoha
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Spykeofkonoha

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Guys, don't go off on a tangent again. People here are known for going off topic at the drop of a hat. Try and stay on topic. Let's see some rules or beliefs to add to the Manifesto here. After all, that's what we're trying to do anyhow right?
Back to top Go down
lami
Veteran knight
Veteran knight

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 6:02 pm

I personally Think some sort of Randomized structure is necessary for role playing or stories with multiple interests. a lot of role plays have a scene attitude, sure your player doesn't want to get eaten but its the enjoyment of both parties if s/he looses eventually, so you naturally throw the game after a token "struggle" there is nothing inherently wrong with this, but for a more immersing and enjoyable Role play, some basic structure will be necessary. giving a character an impartial chance to win if she is competent (usually shown with a randomly generated value AKA dice)

For me, while its certainly fun to have my character or avatar get gobbled up, it is much less fun because It belittles the character, and if you tend to recycle characters, it also halts development.

for me I require SOME other deciding factor than a contest of wills between two writers.
Back to top Go down
crazycarlt
Tasty morsel

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 9:35 pm

For me as a player, my manifesto has become "Never give up your fantasy. Make it happen."

Basically, what I mean is that as a player if the rules or nature of the game aren't going to allow you to have the experience you want to have, then don't bother, as the game may become more of a chore than an enriching experience.

Decide on what your character's focus, in a meta-sense, is going to be. The thing that gets you excited about what their next move is going to be. Clear it with the game master and even discuss privately with other players so that you get to have that -thing- happening as much as you need. And be sure to get -into- that trouble as much as you can.

So if you need to be wooing the young ladies of every town you encounter, or reading bone-chilling psychic energies from ancient object, or scarfing up a few peasants to keep your character's fantasy alive, strong, and intriguing then don't wait around for others to wrap up their plots, or for the GM to come back and focus on you. Throw your own wrench in the works and, if the plot, characters, and players are good, then the game will only be better for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Role-Playing Manifesto   The Role-Playing Manifesto Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Role-Playing Manifesto
Page 1 of 1