Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Boreali Harpies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Moon eyes
Naga food
Moon eyes

Boreali Harpies Empty
PostSubject: Boreali Harpies   Boreali Harpies Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 7:57 pm

* from the phrase "Aurora Borealis"

Boreali harpies are a type that is more associated with snowy owls. Topping the 80’ mark at the highest, they possess incredibly large black, hooked, and feathered talons, and are usually covered with thick, white feathering and excessive down, even reaching further into their human parts than normal. Their serious, passionate eyes are usually amber or hazel, although blue is sometimes seen as an unusual and beautiful variation. Their skin is pale as ivory, so that it almost glistens in the dark, and every harpy carries herself proudly, with almost static poise and dignity. Boreali harpies possess somewhat long necks, whose throats are quite stretchable, and are able to swivel in a full 360 degrees. The properties of their wings make them entirely silent in flight, so silent even the most audibly adept predator has trouble hearing them; half a platoon of adventurers can be quietly beset upon by multiple individuals, and they won’t even notice their missing comrades!
Boreali harpies usually make their nests deep in the Imoreith Tundra, although they are found in other snowy regions on Felarya as well. An unusually rare breed among the harpy world, they are seen by even other harpies as being exceptionally vicious and cruel in their dealings with outsiders—and all in a calm, courteous way. Even their harpy speech is unusual, in that their threats and insults are incredibly subtle within their well-mannered speech—it’s sometimes difficult to tell whether or not the harpy is insulting you or not (even for other harpies!). For example:

“You say your daughter wishes to go on her first hunt? I’d suggest a spike dragon, my dear. They’re slow enough for her poor wings to keep up with, and they blend within the landscape quite horribly, so even her small, untrained eyes can spot them; it’d be perfect for her! It seems to me she’s grown up quite magnificently—she’s as good a hunter as you ever were! You must be proud?”

One might think she’s trying to help your daughter out with her first hunt and even compliment her hunting capabilities, but in reality, she just insulted both of you in 4 different ways: 1) Your daughter can’t fly worth shit, 2) she’s blind as a bat, 3) you must be a bad hunter as well, and therefore 4) your whole family are terrible hunters.
All boreali harpies maintain a calm and polite decorum, even when dealing with enemies. The only exceptions to this rule are sphinxes and anything relating to them. Their hatred for them is paramount in the harpy world; they seem to have been personally offended by them in their history, but as to how is currently a mystery to other predators, and indeed, even to other harpies. Either way, it’s sure that they won’t limit their enmity to harsh words and cold shoulders. Any sphinx they see, they will attack, no questions asked, and with their formidable talons, that’s no idle threat. And no matter the situation, they are aiming to kill.

Their relations with sledgewyverns are few and far in between, as their territories normally don't intersect. However, they are stiff and formal with them, as with anyone else.
Back to top Go down
AisuKaiko
Keeper of Flat Chests
AisuKaiko

Boreali Harpies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boreali Harpies   Boreali Harpies Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:07 pm

I was wondering if there was a picture, but I saw it in my message center on DA, so.. yay!

Overall, they seam neat, I can't think of too much to say, but I like their style of language, it seems really cool XD
Back to top Go down
http://aisukaiko.deviantart.com
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

Boreali Harpies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boreali Harpies   Boreali Harpies Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 1:57 am

It's a great bio ! It's detailled with lot of interesting traits here lol!
the subbtle insult idea was a great touch too, so many funny situation to imagine with that Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

Boreali Harpies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boreali Harpies   Boreali Harpies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Boreali Harpies
Page 1 of 1