Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would this be appropriate?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SomeRandomMinion
Helpless prey

Would this be appropriate? Empty
PostSubject: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:32 am

Good News: I have a character idea. (Yay for inspiration!!)

Bad news: I'm not sure if he would really fit. help

Let me elaborate:

While cruising the wiki entry on the Topazal Sea, I got to wondering what would happen if a capable warship got zapped into Felarya. After some musing, I couldn't help but think of a WW2 destroyer. The captain and crew would NOT be real people, but the basic problem is still there: would anything semi-historical fit in this universe?

Now, we all know that Felarya can randomly intersect with other deminsions, including Earth.
Still, I just want to know if this idea would work.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

It's best to be very subtle about bringing Earth in the equation. Sometimes it's best not to at all, especially in case of historical stuff. I do have three Earthling characters, and a few more that aren't the protagonists, but I try to get away with it by saying that it's an alternate version. So in my opinion, it wouldn't be fitting. It's usually better to try to come up with something original so the others see that you put extra effort trying to come up with a concept.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
SomeRandomMinion
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 am

Ah, got it.
Back to top Go down
Jætte_Troll
Friend of the Jotun
Friend of the Jotun
Jætte_Troll

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 am

Hmm. Such a thing might work for a short one-off story... but if you want a character that can stick, you might want to look within Felarya - it's got its own share of stuff.

If battleships interest you, maybe look to the Vishmitals for inspiration - they have fairly advanced tech. Or maybe a lower-tech ship and crew from Shillapo. There is a wealth of opportunity out there and ideas can be modified to fit.
Back to top Go down
http://jaettetroll.deviantart.com/
CauldronBorn24
Loremaster
CauldronBorn24

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:52 pm

Just while we're on the warship idea, the vessel itself doesn't really need to be heavily armoured, at least not to the extent of WWI and WWII naval ships. The reasoning is that most threats you're face don't really rely on cannons and such, secondly it cuts down the material cost. Felarya doesn't really have the industrial base to build a post iornclad warship. What you sould rely on is firepower and speed/agility.
Back to top Go down
thejackle123
Newbie adventurer
Newbie adventurer
thejackle123

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 8:54 am

You could create a separate world background that has WWII level of technological advancement
Back to top Go down
SomeRandomMinion
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:27 am

CauldronBorn24 wrote:
Just while we're on the warship idea, the vessel itself doesn't really need to be heavily armoured, at least not to the extent of WWI and WWII naval ships. The reasoning is that most threats you're face don't really rely on cannons and such, secondly it cuts down the material cost. Felarya doesn't really have the industrial base to build a post iornclad warship. What you sould rely on is firepower and speed/agility.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that. The WW2 part of the idea is scrapped, but I still like the idea of a warship in Felarya.
An ironclad would fit better, definitely.

Thanks for your comments!
Back to top Go down
SomeRandomMinion
Helpless prey

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:29 am

thejackle123 wrote:
You could create a separate world background that has WWII level of technological advancement

Another good idea! Ooh, my imagination is in overdrive now! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would this be appropriate?   Would this be appropriate? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would this be appropriate?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Character discussion-
Jump to: