Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nagas and vibrations

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

Nagas and vibrations Empty
PostSubject: Nagas and vibrations   Nagas and vibrations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Stabs and me have been talking about nagas just a while ago and out came the topic that if real-life snakes can sort of "hear" and sense things throught vibrations from the ground getting to their underbellies....would nagas be capable of doing this trick as well?

It may be a bit overpowered, considered nagas already have the predator sense, but in my opinion it would help giving nagas some trait that is actually snake-like.
Back to top Go down
aethernavale
Great warrior
Great warrior

PostSubject: Re: Nagas and vibrations   Nagas and vibrations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:32 pm

They might have some affinity for it, but I would imagine dridders to be more aptly suited to detecting things through vibrations. Spiders tend to fall in one of two major categories, and those of the orb weaver category tend to have poor eyesight but sharp senses of touch (to feel and identify the various vibrations pinging their webs).

This is one thing I've adopted with Reya, though I didn't give her poor eyesight, just normal/average eyesight with a heightened sense of touch/feeling.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Nagas and vibrations   Nagas and vibrations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:52 pm

Quote :
It may be a bit overpowered, considered nagas already have the predator sense, but in my opinion it would help giving nagas some trait that is actually snake-like.

Keep in mind, the pred sense isn't radar. It just gives them a general idea that something is in the nearby area.

Honestly, considering how big Nagas are, and how tiny humans are, I couldn't see their vibration sense being that sensitive. But that does not mean that it isn't useful. Think about it, most large predatory animals like Kenshas, giant Vipers, and other such things, are not inherently magical. They have a magical field like all living things...but they aren't a bright spot like a mage, or fairy would be. They'd fade into the background, like a room-temperature object on an infrared imaging device.

BUT, they would make noise, these giant creatures would make vibrations in the ground. I could see a vibration sense being more useful as a defense against larger, more dangerous animals, things the magical sense would not pick up well, if at all. Not every adaptation needs to be devoted to hunting, you'd need some purely defensive ones as well.
Back to top Go down
Slimetoad
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Slimetoad

PostSubject: Re: Nagas and vibrations   Nagas and vibrations Icon_minitimeSun Apr 17, 2011 1:59 pm

I could see it very well working as a defense mechanism, actually. As long as they're laying on the ground they would be aware something bad is coming even if they can't hear anything
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nagas and vibrations   Nagas and vibrations Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nagas and vibrations
Page 1 of 1