Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for help, and critique

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Somekindofragamuffin
Tasty morsel
Somekindofragamuffin

Looking for help, and critique Empty
PostSubject: Looking for help, and critique   Looking for help, and critique Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm

MmHmm, I've already get the basics of a character planned out, and I'd love a bit of advice and help from some of you guys.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help, and critique   Looking for help, and critique Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 6:58 pm

well i never give advice on bios since i find that irrevelant.

but yes, I can give you the an advice: write a story with that character. I want to see him in action, how he deals with events and blablabla.

some people here only do bios and roleplay with them. its their choice, but they wont improve. now that you have a character, dont waste your time on a multiple of other characters. just write a story about him, if not more.

that was my advice.
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help, and critique   Looking for help, and critique Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Actually, I believe roleplay helps you get into your character's shoes more. If you seriously RP their character, at any rate.
Back to top Go down
Krisexy26
Survivor
Survivor
Krisexy26

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help, and critique   Looking for help, and critique Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 5:15 am

ah well i just dont believe in roleplay Razz
Back to top Go down
http://krisexy26.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help, and critique   Looking for help, and critique Icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 am

Roleplaying works for some, for some it doesn't- and yeah, bios can be kinda irrelevant at times, or worse than irrelevant, if they contain spoilers. But in any case, Somekindrag... Sumthinragged... Sss... SSS... you, it's you that matters right now, and not this argument, and I wouldn't have butt in if I weren't willing to help.

You wrote:
Clothing and apparel: Despite weather, Athial always seems to wear long and somewhat thick clothing. Typically, it's a white button up shirt underneath a jacket, cloak or hood of some kind. More often than not, it's a blue jacket with different white and black highlights all over it. A motif of a snowflake on the back tops it off. More intriguing though, is that the sleeves have zips that run up their length. Why, who knows, but Athial finds it fun to play with when he's got nothing better to do. Long black pants, black boots, and a belt that he afixes a scabbard to.

Eh, well, bios are for putting the tiny details in, all there in the manual, but this still looks pretty long. Whenever you can be more concise, you should: in this case, you didn't need to use both "typically" and "more often than not". I'd recommend you to head up with his usual clothes, and not point out things like "more intriguing though". Then the last sentence becomes an enumeration rather than a sentence: I don't recommend that, not even in bios.

Try pointing out his usual apparel, then explaining the pattern to the things he wears. Like "he wears X, Y and Z. When he doesn't, he always seems to wear A1." It's easier to visualize, gets the point across, and it's shorter.

===

You wrote:
Physical capacity: He's armed well, if nothing else. Athial keeps a sword on his being at all times - given the name 'frostbite' as a joke more than anything - should he need it. It's a strange blade, most criticize the sword at a first glance. It's quite clearly styled after a cutlass, or maybe even scimitar or katana, but the blade curves away from the wielder. Don't get the wrong idea, though, the slashing edge is still facing his enemies, but the blade itself curves that way, too. Despite this, Athial's quite skilled at using the sword when the moment arises. Outside of weapons and fighting, he's in good shape, having a decent understanding of free running and parkour.

"Capacity" is quite a peculiar word to choose. In any case, I suppose it's not a mistake- we may call it capacity, why not. But I don't know if you'd consider the shape of the sword a part of his physical capacity. I wouldn't: maybe the sword can get its own entry.

You wrote:
Mental capacity: If Athial had one true strong suit, it would be this. Specializing in using water and ice magic and energy attacks, this is what he truly dedicates himself to. He's at the point with controlling the twin elements that he can condense and compact the water in the air and then flash-freeze it, meaning he can conjure weapons and tools in the blink of an eye. Not only that, but Athial can keep track of different magic and energy signatures, allowing for quick - albeit consuming - teleports. In fact, he's elementally infused his sword so that he could keep tabs on it, meaning that he can warp to the blade instantly, or vice versa.

Well, if you think keeping track of signatures means teleporting... more power to you, but I'd point out teleportation separately from magic and signature tracking, or even water and ice. There's only one place I know of where tracking signatures had anything to do with teleporting, and that's Dragon Ball Z. (No, seriously- the trick to teleporting was not to think of the place, but of the ki of the person who was in that place.) Also, maybe you should point out he can harden ice and make it tenacious. Making power tools out of ice might impress the neighbors, but they aren't going to survive being plugged in. Have you considered ice sculptures instead? They're a staple of ice-based powers.

You wrote:
Spiritual capacity: There's a sense of morale or honour about Athial, and he holds a set of personal beliefs above his own safety. Taking status and occupation into account, Athial soon learnt a deeper meaning behind the sort of motto of his 'brotherhood' of fellow mages and warriors: "At a moments notice, when the moment comes." Keeping this phrase on his mind at all times, Athial never draws his sword upon someone without reason or orders driving it. Even in such a dangerous place as Felarya, he practically refuses to use the weapon upon another person... No matter their size, clearly.

Ah, the chivalrous type. My favourite. However, I recommend you reword "motto" into "creed". It's got more oomph to it. Also, this strikes me as lax. How come he never draws his sword upon someone without reason or orders driving it, and then practically refuses to use the weapon upon another person? It's one or the other. Either you practically refuse, or never draw it without reason or orders- unless you specify his standards for "a reason to draw a sword" are strict.

You wrote:
Physical strengths and weaknesses: Well trained in swordplay, and he knows how to get around. However, that's really where most of his raw physical strengths end... He's a human, after all, no god. Hit him in a vital spot and he's downed, and moreso in regards to Felarya: just eat him.

Mental strengths and weaknesses: Once again, this really is the one area where Athial shines, but, of course, nobody's perfect. Despite having an incredible understanding of ice and water magic, he has little to no control over other elements. He's also extremely succeptible to fire and wind based magic, should that ever need to be known.

Spiritual strengths and weaknesses: One of his greatest spiritual strengths could also be considered a weakness, the words he live by. This trait had the potential to either save or ruin his chances of survival at least once in his travels, and many more times to come.

We already had been informed of his physical strengths, and we can assume his weaknesses in the word "human". To be susceptible to fire and wind is not a mental weakness. As for his spiritual strengths and weaknesses, that's redundant, you already told us that he lives by those words. Speaking of which, you need to clarify what they mean to him.

======

You wrote:
Likes, dislikes: He loves being able to help people, but, this pretty much goes out the window on Felarya, where it truly is every man for himself. That being said, Athial really despises greed. He also really loves sparring and practicing in general, both with his magic and his sword - meaning he needs to swing around a sheathed blade if he's practicing swordplay.
You just need some room if you want to swing around an unsheathed blade. I assure you, Felarya has room.

You wrote:
Personality: He's quite calm and collected, and slow to anger. When he needs to be serious, though, it shows. Regal, and presentable, almost noble, Athial is high class to say the least. Despite this, though, he's never been the sort to look down upon someone, never judgmental - he believes an opinion should be formed around knowledge alone. Relatively quiet, he really doesn't say a whole lot, especially when 'surrounded' by many people. Athial much prefers to have a one-to-one conversation. On the outside, and at a first glance, he comes off as stoic, aloof, and frankly.... Uncaring, seemingly willing to protect only certain others. When, really, he's opposite - someone who would put the rights and safety of another before his own, whenever possible. To describe him in one word: Chivalrous.

Hmm... well, can't fault you for giving us as many adjectives as possible, but there are some things that just don't seem to fit. First, calm and collected don't mean he can't be serious- the second sentence is not necessary unless he's a bloomin' jester. Second, noble as an adjective means something else than as a noun- it means noble of spirit, not of birth and breeding, kind sir. A noble man, rather than a nobleman, is not the kind to look down upon someone or judge.

How he believes an opinion should be formed ought not belong in that sentence. Finally, I don't know where would it come that he is seemingly willing to protect only certain others. That's a lot of image to give by just not talking too much!

You wrote:
Story: In his world, the concepts of magic and science go hand in hand. The both of them exist together. Athial's life is a good one, and there's more to come. An only child, Athial spent the earlier years of his life attending school and spending time with friends - nothing out of the ordinary. Upon turning 19, he took a liking to the concept of magic, intending on furthering his already basic knowledge. With high hopes, Athial sat an exam to become a member of a 'brotherhood' within his immediate area, and passed. Dedicating the next few years of his life to learning water and ice magic, that took him to the level he's at now. His unique style with the two elements makes him a force to be reckoned with in combat, but he felt something was missing. He had a sword forged for him, a very cutlass-esque weapon with his own little twists and traits put into the design. That's really all there is at the current moment in time, but there's one chapter of his life that's being written at this moment.

Felarya. Athial researched the concept of a 'dimensional crossroad' for several months, finally piecing bits of infomation together, making sense of many notes. He himself offered to do some further research into the subject, and willingly prepared himself for what was to come. Upon reaching the jungle, though, he felt he wasn't prepared at all. He didn't know this at the time, but he arrived in the general area of the Chordoni Waterfalls... This is where his story begins, people. Let's hope it doesn't end here, too.

This background is a bit barebones, and describes only the resources he had access to and where he got his powers. Besides, dedicating the next few years of his life to learning water and ice magic... he was 19, he's 23 now. Those few years couldn't have been more than 3, he had a sword he designed himself made for him afterwards which he trained with. Then there were several months to research the concept of a dimensional crossroad.

I'd recommend making the sword a gift from his brotherhood and say they trained in swordsmanship as well. Given there's little to no science in his background, I'd recommend you don't mention that science and magic go hand in hand, it has little to no impact, all it accomplishes is saying that your character had more options. Besides, you don't explain where he got that huge-ass scar on his face. Somekindofragamuffin, scars tell stories. Tell me a story!

===

All in all, I'd say you most likely had no idea where to start. I take it you haven't made many bios so far- the redundance and assumed contradictions that weren't really there didn't help your case at all. But it's a start, and not a bad one, I can tell you've got something, you just need to rework it into something more eloquent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for help, and critique   Looking for help, and critique Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for help, and critique
Page 1 of 1