Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dryad Self-Fertilization?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
itsmeyouidiot
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
itsmeyouidiot

Dryad Self-Fertilization? Empty
PostSubject: Dryad Self-Fertilization?   Dryad Self-Fertilization? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Right now I'm studying plants in biology class, and we're learning about the life cycles of Spermatophytes, seed producing plants.

Spermatophytes consist of two different sub-groups, angiosperms, which reproduce using flowers, and gymnosperms, which reproduce using cone structures.

All trees, of course, are spermatopytes. Conifers and Cycads are gymnosperms that reproduce with cones, and trees like maple and oak reproduce with flowers.

What's the catch here? Most spermatophytes contain both male and female reproductive structures. Angiosperms usually have flowers with both the male stamen and the female carpel, and gynosperms usually have both male and female cones.

Because of this, spermatophytes can either cross-pollinate, i.e. receive pollen from another same-species for fertilization, or they can self-pollinate and fertilize themselves.

So my question here is, what does this imply for dryads in Felarya? If it works the same way, than that means dryads, despite being aesthetically female, are actually both genders at once. Not only that, any one dryad would have either two parents who cross-pollinated, or a single parent that self-pollinated.
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dryad Self-Fertilization?   Dryad Self-Fertilization? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 pm

I suggest reading the wiki in future. The dryad reproductive system has already been laid out.
"Dryads possess a rather unique mean of reproduction, combining seeds with other plant's pollen captured from the air around them, before releasing them when the conditions are right. They release a great many seeds, but only a few land somewhere that matches the criteria for the seed to sprout and begin the process of developing a young Dryad. Other seeds simply sprout regular plants. This explains why dryads appear to be so varied and with an appearance based on plants that grows in their region."
Source: Dryads page.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Dryad Self-Fertilization?   Dryad Self-Fertilization? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Yes, I remember when we were talking about Dryad reproduction. That last for quite a few pages, but I got the jist during the whole time was that no body in particular really could figure out how Dryads reproduce, because they're both human and plants at the same time. That's our problem: they're not trees.

Your explanation is a good one, and in particular it reminds me of the Asari from Mass Effect. Asari don't have an official gender and they aren't technically male or female, they just look female, but they're not. They're not male either, anyone can be the mother or father. They take information from another individual of any gender or species and use it as genetic information for their next child. Makes me think of Dryads doing the same thing but with plants and pollen.

Anyway, your proposal is alright, but not established. So far I agree with Cliff's (I believe it was originally Cliff's idea for Dryad reproduction I didn't look at the wiki page so I'm kinda doing this from memory), but you're free to come up with an official idea. If it's better than Cliff's, well, we might need to use it for another dryad type, but I don't think anything can be replaced on the wiki if something is deemed "better suited."

On another note: is there even a rule for that regarding canonization?
Back to top Go down
Anime-Junkie
Loremaster
Anime-Junkie

PostSubject: Re: Dryad Self-Fertilization?   Dryad Self-Fertilization? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Indeed, it was originally Cliff's idea. I don't really think this one is better, as it limits the possible species of dryad. Cliff's idea is all encompassing, allows for dryads of almost any plant type and just works.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Excelsior-Emeritus.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dryad Self-Fertilization?   Dryad Self-Fertilization? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dryad Self-Fertilization?
Page 1 of 1