Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Public Awareness of Felarya

Go down 
+4
French snack
Razor
parameciumkid
DarkOne
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

Public Awareness of Felarya Empty
PostSubject: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:05 am

Okay I did check the wiki and the forum on this one, but the information was somewhat vague in this area.

What kind if awareness of Felarya is there in the human worlds? Since not everyone is of miltary rank, that means travel to Felarya isn't a top government secret of the highest order like the situration in 'Star Gate'
Therefore am I correct in thinking that a good amount of the civilisation human population must also know of Felarya? If so what is the collective attitudes toward the world? Is it like for example Europe's attitudes towards America during the 17th century? A dangerous place but a land of opportunity?

Since the death toll in Felarya is quite high, it only makes sense that the rulers are constantly looking for more workforce, so is there a campaign just for that? Mabye the jobs available in the world of Felarya are advertised and made to appear glamourous. Kinda like those adverts for the army that you keep seeing on television, it's made to look all badass but it's full of crap.

I simply ask because I just want to add depth to my human characters, because the assumption that they are all there just for the wealth and power makes them too generic and cold for my liking. It just makes it more interesting if some of the characters are just there because they wern't doing so well in their careers at home and was taken in by the promise of a better life. It just makes them more human and painfuly tragic.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 9:15 pm

I think it might actually be intended to be on par with the actual, real public awareness of Felarya. I'd say there's about a hundred of us or so, so about a hundred (maybe more, I might be way off) know about it. On plain old normal Earth that is. In other fictional universes I have no idea except that it is highly variable.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Razor
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Razor

Location : Mah house at the base of the giant tree. A few Predators are waiting for me outside with pitchforks. Or are they just forks...?

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeThu May 10, 2012 11:36 pm

It is interesting... But I have to say I doubt that the Governments on other worlds would want people knowing that when someone disappears, they've most likely been transported to a world full of man eating human-animal hybrids. It would probably cause a huge panic if they just told everyone about it.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 3:58 am

DarkOne wrote:

What kind if awareness of Felarya is there in the human worlds? Since not everyone is of miltary rank, that means travel to Felarya isn't a top government secret of the highest order like the situration in 'Star Gate'
Therefore am I correct in thinking that a good amount of the civilisation human population must also know of Felarya? If so what is the collective attitudes toward the world? Is it like for example Europe's attitudes towards America during the 17th century? A dangerous place but a land of opportunity?

Good question. There are a variety of human worlds, and therefore presumably a variety of levels of knowledge about Felarya. But for some, yes, it must certainly appear as a dangerous land of opportunity.

Quote :
Since the death toll in Felarya is quite high, it only makes sense that the rulers are constantly looking for more workforce, so is there a campaign just for that?

Which rulers? If you mean in Negav, the city is safe from predation, so they don't normally need to recruit from offworld. In the wild, there aren't any significant human rulers recruiting any foreign workforce.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 4:23 am

I think it's safe to say that awareness of Felarya is fully dependent on how developed everyone outside of it's dimension is.

Folks that have barely mastered steam technology, for example, would barely bat an eye at the possibility of a Felaryan universe. Meanwhile, those that travel a billion lightyears every day to go to work would not only consider Felarya a possibility, but would've likely traversed it already. You never knoww, since Felarya's working on an unstable portal system that brings in people regardless of their position relative to space and time.
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 5:01 am

Well not scaring the public shitless shouldn't be too hard. That's where the corporate lies would come in. They will suggest that work at Felarya is dangerous and deaths could be possible, but no more dangerous than working somewhere like the middle east. They might suggest that curtain hostiles might be encountered, but they won't menction the friggin huge Nagas and the like so that people are not put too badly.

They would also hype their own abilities, shouldn't be too hard as humans in Felarya are normally portrayed as overconfident and determined anyways. They would hype their technology as safe and efficient while downplaying the risks. They will also promote the benefits greatly, new exciting jobs! Be on the cutting edge of technological and magical development! A whole new vast world to explore and develop, And so on

I would also expect any nasty and disturbing deaths would be covered up. Their "Offical" explainations behind disappearances and deaths would not reflect reality

This sort of thing has been done so many times throughout human history anyways, and is still happening now. Why should it be different on Felarya?

Last edited by DarkOne on Fri May 11, 2012 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 5:06 am

What type of employers are you thinking of here? There aren't many that operate in the Felaryan wild, outside the safety of the Eye...
Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 5:15 am

Well that depends on the the race of humans and plot doesn't it? Just because humans don't generally operate on the outside doesn't mean plots won't arise where siturations will force them too, depending on their exact motives and goals. And besides, any group of humans determined (or crazy) enougth to stay on Felarya should ideally to prepared to work outside the safty zone, just in case everything goes to shit
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 11:45 am

Correction to my earlier post: there seem to be more like a thousand of us if the Forum membership count is any hint.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
TheLightLost
Survivor
Survivor
TheLightLost

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 12:59 pm

DarkOne wrote:
It just makes it more interesting if some of the characters are just there because they wern't doing so well in their careers at home and was taken in by the promise of a better life. It just makes them more human and painfuly tragic.

I like the way you think. C:

But semi-on-topic, I tend to think of Felarya as a world with great risk but not eminent danger. If you couldn't set foot outside of settlements to work then there would be none to speak of on Felarya, and that would not make the world a very promising place to venture to. The way I see it, odds are good that you won't run into something that's out to eat you on any given day. Unfortunately, the odds of you surviving an encounter with some nasty predator should you run into one are not so good... that is if you're not prepared. If the corporations can convince the workers that they are well prepared to deal with a threat in the small chance that one stumbles upon them, then I can see daring people taking on the jobs.

I mean, why come to this world full of riches and beauty to settle down if there's no realistic chance of enjoying it all? Just pray that nothing particularly nasty finds you before you can take a real foothold in the world.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 3:59 pm

I'd think and indicator of the awareness of Felarya is the number of stable man-made portals, since they were made explicitly to mantain a bond with the dimension and be able to send people in there. Wiki doesn't state how many are known, though.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 1:45 am

There is a couple of them but the two main are the GDG ( great dimensional gate of Ur Sagol ) and the Negav portal.
As for the original question, well I think the name would be known to some, but in worlds that serves as hub for travelers. There maybe you could hear the name Felarya here and there during a conversation but with probably very exaggerated and distorted details XP
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 9:29 am

Well okay, so lets say I just scale down the idea. So it's not so much multimedia corporate brain washing, but instead involves corporate recruiters that target specific people. Kinda like those army recruiters that hang about in shoping malls.
So these recruiters will most likely hang about in traveler hotspots which is where "All the best fish swim by"

Or on a more sinister level, these guys could do background checks on people. Select the ones that show the most promising prospects or those who are just desprate for a solid career. And then track them down to have a one to one chat, buy them an a drink, a little small talk. And then once the ice is broken they will rope them in with a promising job opportunity and then leave them a contact card.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Public Awareness of Felarya   Public Awareness of Felarya Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Public Awareness of Felarya
Page 1 of 1