Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should I even be here?

Go down 
+9
Archmage_Bael
Feadraug
Karbo
Pendragon
French snack
rcs619
Grave
Stabs
Zephyr102
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

Should I even be here? Empty
PostSubject: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 5:59 pm

Well, this may be awkward. I have no problem admitting to enjoying vore, but I will also not hide my issues with Felarya.
Now, before anyone says this really isn't the place for me, allow me to explain myself, and then tell me this isn't the place for me if you think it necessary.

As I said, I enjoy vore, but I also fancy myself something of a writer. From what I've seen in art and read on the wiki, I have trouble seeing Felarya as more than a setting for a fetish (not necessarily a bad thing). The cards are heavily stacked in the favor of the predators, who have enough Plot Armor to make Batman look balanced and vulnerable, and the Guardians who step in to prevent anything from violating the central Predator>Prey dynamic, such as one might expect of an author who wanted to introduce his/her reality-warping, disgustingly overpowered OC just to say, "You can't eat me."

I would go on, but I don't want to rant and will simply allow anyone to respond who wishes to.

Last edited by Zephyr102 on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removing Introduction/ Splitting Post)
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm not going to judge whether this is or not the place for you; I think you can do that well enough yourself. As for responding... ah, well, why not! Might as well indulge in this one discussion, and give the new guys their chance at it.

EDIT: Split the post. This discussion's going to take a few minutes; if you want to introduce yourself, you can do it again now, without offering a debate in the introductions thread. There's a time and a place for everything- the intros thread is not the place for debate.

Last edited by Stabs on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : afk)
Back to top Go down
Grave
Marauder of the deep jungle
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 6:51 pm

So you like vore but you don't like the way Felarya is set up. Of course the main characters have Plot Armor, they are the main characters. Well I guess you can avoid the main characters if you feel like that. Nagas, mermaids, and super evil nekos can all be beaten and killed, but personally I'd like to have several more tomes of the Manga.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Well, I understand that this is a setting heavily grounded in a fetish, I also frequent monstergirlunlimited.net, which is primarily centered around Kenkou Kurosu's Monster Girl Encyclopedia, a setting centered around sex with Monster Girls, femdom (to a degree), and the corruption fetish. We have a page dedicated to Felarya there too, and, well, allow me to bring my rant and the words of others from there over here (keep in mind some of the things I said do not reflect my current feelings):

"I do not particularly like Felarya. Vore has grown on me, and I hate myself a bit for that, but my qualms with the setting are in line with the discussion that occurred on page 7 of the Kitsune-tsuki profile. The predators of Felarya are ridiculously overpowered Sues.
Are you an expert at stealth? You can't hide from a Felaryan predator.
Did you bring a sharp weapon with you into the stomach of the creature that ate you? Stomachs and throats are immune to damage (if only from the inside, I don't know)
Did you bring large amounts of high explosive in with you? Same deal as above (There may be some magic protecting their digestive tracts)
Do you possess shrink magic to use against the predator? Doesn't work if the target is too large.
Did you bring an army to hunt down the predator? If Karbo likes her, you will fail.

Now, are many of the Monster-Girls of MGE also overpowered Sues? Yes, absolutely (looking at you, Lilim) but the girls of Felarya use their Sue-ness to kill you, while you tend to enjoy your fate if you encounter one of the MGE Sues.
I know it's fantasy, I know it's a fetish-based setting, but that doesn't mean your characters should be nigh-indestructible. When you know the Naga is either going to get a meal or at the very least survive an encounter (most likely the former), you lose interest in the character as an actual character and simply look to them as a vehicle for the fetish. This isn't horrible, but it doesn't reflect the best writing.

I disliked the setting enough to come up with a creature that is both perfectly adapted to the environment and capable of killing any predator, ie a Sue to fight Sues. Replica is the name given to a parasite which actually uses its' status as prey to reproduce. Adult forms appear to be pale-skinned, blue-haired, white-eyed human females who eat rocks to get the materials needed to create thin shells for their eggs, meaning a metal that is immune to corrosion, like gold or platinum. Once they have covered their 20-40 eggs, the creature seeks out a predator that will eat them. The adult body is digested, but the eggs pass unharmed into the intestines, where they hatch, and the larva burrow into the intestinal lining (assuming there is no need for magical protection after the stomach, which is what kills the prey) and begin to grow, living off some of the nutrients taken in by the predator.
Once the larva reach a certain stage, they begin absorbing all nutrition, which can weaken the predator if it cannot get enough food fast. The larva eventually pass from the digestive tract as adults. If the predator is in a weakened enough state, two to three adults will reinfect it, their unshelled eggs easily suviving the diluted digestive juices. The nutrition will allow the predator to get back up and moving again, but now their fate is sealed. They will not be able to adequately feed double the larvae, and when the larvae sense this, they will eat the predator from the inside-out to finish their development.

Of course this would never fly with Karbo, although I did get a fair bit more detailed with countermeasures and such in my larger profile, so who knows?"

To which one person responded:
"Actually, that oversimplifies it quite a bit. It is stated there are predators who hunt other predators. Special mention goes to the long-standing conflict between nagas and dridders."

I said back:
"I was referring to a human trying to survive in Felarya, the disadvantage they and most non-giants are placed at. I'm well aware of predators that hunt predators in the setting, as well as predators who befriend at least one or more humans, like Crisis. It doesn't change the fact that very, very few creatures can take down the largest predators in 1v1 combat. I can bet that the main characters will always conveniently avoid the giant carnivorous trees that humans build their cities under. It's ok to keep your main characters alive, but it starts to get boring when they are obviously superior to most other lifeforms, to the point that they can just walk into a village and chow down with little fear of meaningful retribution.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this though. It's a setting that uses the characters as a vehicle for a fetish, as I previously mentioned. If people just want to get their fill (durr-hurr) of vore, this is certainly one setting to look to. Maybe nobody wants to see the characters in any real danger. Maybe they just want to see squishy humans (and other races) plopped into mouths, struggle feebly to escape, and disappear down the girl's esophagus, generating a little lump in the throat accompanied by a now rather predictable *gulp*, followed by an x-ray shot of them looking terrified in the stomach that will be their home for the short remainder of their lives, while the girl that ate them looks satisfied, perhaps patting her also quite predictably rumbling and unusually swollen belly.
What would likely be an agonizing death is never officially shown, making it hard for some to equate the ingestion of sapient beings with murder. That's my other problem with Felarya and vore: nobody really plays the tragedy angle. It's a fetish, so even when death is shown in other works, people try to sexualize it.
*Deep Breath*
I'm sorry for going on like this. I personally enjoy some aspects of vore, in particular when the 'victim' is released later or is willing to be eaten, as well as unbirthing when it involves transformation and subsequent release (fun demonstration available on Danbooru involving a girl and a spider-girl). Fear and pain are simply big turn-offs for me."

More words, followed by:
Unfortunately, as I hope to have made clear in my earlier posts, Karbo made the Felaryan girls ridiculously overpowered. You may be able to avoid getting eaten if you live in the right locations or are highly experienced, but once you're in their stomach, you are royally fucked. Not only do they tend to get off on their prey struggling within them, but their throat and stomach are seemingly magically protected from the inside, capable of resisting, without damage, a large amount of high explosives, as well as being able to digest absolutely everything.
I'm trying to get away from vore, which I was primarily introduced to through Felarya."

Someone else's relevant response:
"I think it's a reasonable response. Normally, if it was human-to-human, this could be viewed as sociopathy. Unfortunately, a better comparison would be how most humans view animals or bugs. The problem is that some animals and bugs can kill humans, while we have almost zero chance to take a giantess down.

Felarya is a human death world. Only idiots would try to take the land as their own, and I feel bad for the poor saps who were sent to conquer in the idiot's place. A (slightly) better idea would be to capture or charm one of the denizens of Felarya, then bring her over to the other world (that is, if the world ignores the square-cube law. If the world obeys it, look somewhere else) and show her the snack room. Superweapon rules especially apply here."

Another person:
"Well Felarya is first and foremost a fetish setting, therefore whether the characters are likable and/or even relatable to anyone who is not interested in vore is not really important.

(And the fact that most character descriptions go something like: She will eat you without a second thought and she will enjoy you struggles while you are trapped in a room filled with acids that slowly eat away at your body, giggling innocently at your screams of pain and terror while your friends have to choose between leaving you or try a suicidal rescue attempt. But she is really a nice person! Doesnt help either)"

I know this is running long, but still more opinions of others:
i think the main problem as to why humans adaptability hasn't kicked in is because of the way the world works, most of the human are brought to the world against there will with no idea where they are and simply don't realize the danger there in, let alone know how to deal with any of the locals.

Another reason, which i believe is the main reason the humans haven't really made any major strides in fighting them is because of the so call "guardians" the god like being that "protect the planet", they have destroyed all army or civilization that danger to the current balance( aka- predes eat smaller races)
the planets biggies city Nagel(or something like that) has pretty much stooped expanding in fear of being wiped out like its old neighbors was."

I'm being thorough here:
anyone remember the faeries? yes they eat humans but thye are capable of using shrink magic not only on themselves but on any creature.
In fact most faeries need human men to reproduce anyway!
also there have been hints at how humans have adapted to the environment around them. In the first three manga's there are Several references to magical enchantments that protect humans from being swallowed via inducing vomiting or regurgitation.

and love is not as far away as one would think, take Vivian for example, she is a succubi in giant man eating lamia form, but she has been know to make 'raids' on human colonies to find a suitable mate. Another example would be the felaryaian equivalent of the Skillya, sure they have the ability to swallow humans and other large creatures whole, but they have a much better outlook at humans than say mermaids do.Also another thing to notice is that while humans are a big staple in most of the monster diets, we aren't the only thing to eat in felarya not by a long shot.

the thing that i don't like about ferlarya, is the lack of male monsters in the setting. as a girl it would really make the world for me if there were big huge snake men slithering around eating lil' ol' gals like me....~

that and it might open up a way for humans to become monsters themselves...." (Not sure about this one, the fairys need men to reproduce part)

This is relevant to these forums:
The whole site is choking up to it's neck in the worst kind of freaks (I know, I know: look who's talking) which would be fine except they're the kind of freaks that flip the fuck out like you just knocked the medication out of their hand when you suggest ways to defeat or destroy their GLORIOUS GIANTESS WAIFUS.

I mean we sort of have that problem here too but at least here you can have a conversation about how to combat or escape monstergirls, over there it's just YOU'LL GET EATEN AND YOU'LL LIKE IT YOU FUCKING MUNDANE. Ugh.

Beyond that, the site creator seems to have had the forethought to understand there are people far, far smarter than him on the internet that WILL find a way to beat his dumb mary sues so he's loaded them with enough plot-armor to make Batman seem like a well-written, vulnerable superhero.

Bottom line: the game is no fun if I can't win, so I don't play."

Aaand done with that, finally.
I have no problem with the scientific implausibility of things, seeing as I come from a community where sex with a slime-girl has been expounded upon enormously, and the MGE has its' share of Sues, so I am curious as to how one defends these characters, which I view to be overpowered, from a narrative standpoint. If it's just a fetish setting, I would be fine with that, but this world is huge and growing, and I have heard of stories which portray the vore in a suitably tragic light, dealing with a dwindling group of humans warped to Felarya ("Lost in Felarya" I believe).
So, is this world worth my time? I have contributions to make, but I don't want to be shot down just because my creations don't fit the standard 'either you're a predator or a meal' dichotomy. Is there a place for sad stories or parasitic lifeforms that become prey to reproduce?
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm

To be fair, bad writing shouldn't be confused with canon. There are issues with Felarya, of course. Just about every fantasy or sci-fi setting has them, and as this is a hobby for just about everyone involved, they do sometimes take longer than they probably should to fix. Either way, let's get discussin' =D

Quote :
The cards are heavily stacked in the favor of the predators

That really depends on the situation. Out in the middle of the wilderness, yes, it is heavily stacked in their favor, as it is their home. They spend their entire lives in a massive, unforgiving, dangerous wilderness and they know it better than just about any offworlders, or even native-born Felaryans who just don't know the region, will.

However, if you move towards one of the more settled and/or fortified areas, you do see the humans and human-sized people have much more of a chance. Chiotia City is protected by-sea thanks to giant stinging kelp and has forged diplomatic relations with the local harpies and sea krait nagas, which are the only two species of pred that could reach their city.

Then there's Negav. When you start getting close to Negav, it becomes very dangerous to be giant and man-eating. The wall guns are more than capable of reaching out for miles and one-shotting any giant that makes itself enough of a nuisance to draw the attention of the Vishmital gunners. Then there's the Isolon Fist, the private army of the Magiocrat Council that runs the city. They've got some of the most powerful known human-sized mages in Felarya, alongside military-grade hardware imported (or reverse engineered using tech from) from a dozen different worlds, hardware that is commonly enhanced via magical enchantments, and also aerial intelligence gathering through the use of jet-bike mounted scouts. While it isn't all that common an occurrence these days (thanks to Negav's fearsome repuation), Isolon Fist squads are quite capable of driving off or even killing, if the circumstances call for it, giant predators.

There's also the wilderness itself, which is full of more than a few dangerous and/or venomous creatures and plants that can kill the giant preds, or hinder them enough to get them killed. It is kinda meant to be a harsh place for them too.

Quote :
who have enough Plot Armor to make Batman look balanced and vulnerable

I'll agree that is a legitimate issue. Far too many people out there like to have their characters DBZ their way through problems without ever getting a scratch. I'm not saying everyone needs to kill off their characters, but you do need to have them feel like they are actually in real danger sometimes. Maybe even get injured and such.

Quote :
and the Guardians who step in to prevent anything from violating the central Predator>Prey dynamic

That is actually completely inaccurate. The Guardians are a loose association of the most powerful individuals in known Felarya. They only act very rarely, and only for problems that threaten to upset the world as a whole. In all of known history they have only acted a small handful of times to...

- To repel an invasion of extra-dimensional invaders called "Correctors" who wanted to erase Felarya from the multiverse to try and bring balance to its inherent chaos.
- To reign in an out of control army of titans who rebelled against them after the war with the Correctors ended.
- To seal away Demechelle, an insanely powerful darkness-elemental who kept expanding, and threatened to swallow the whole of Felarya in a nightmarish darkness full of abominations and monstrosities.
- To seal away Sineria, Queen of the Dridders, who had grown to near-Guardian levels of power and sought to depose them using her own power and a massive dridder army.
- To wipe out the civilization of Ur-Sagol, arguably the most powerful known human civilization.

The last one is actually the weird one. Ur-Sagol was powerful and expansionist, sure... but they really didn't present a threat to the world as a whole like the other times the Guardians acted. However, due to the fact that their king was quite insane, and they were known for their extensive magical research and powerful magi-technical inventions... most people believe they might have developed some sort of super-weapon, or discovered some powerful forbidden magic, and that is what made the Guardians act, more out of fear for their own safety than anything else.

They didn't wipe them out because "Oh gee, humans not getting eaten? How not sexy!" =P

Quote :
Are you an expert at stealth? You can't hide from a Felaryan predator.

Actually hiding is a perfectly viable strategy. While they do tend to have greater-than-human senses... they aren't impossible to hide from. Being small has its advantages. Squeeze into someplace out of the way, keep quiet and they'll more than likely not be able to find you. Even the naga and fairy magical field sense isn't perfect. It just tells them someone is nearby, they'd still need to actually root them out and find them, which is not always possible to do. It's not like the preds see, hear and smell everything down to the inch. Hiding is the best thing you can do.

Quote :
Did you bring large amounts of high explosive in with you? Same deal as above (There may be some magic protecting their digestive tracts)

I think the better question is "why do you have large amounts of high explosives?" Unless you have a grenade launcher, you'd need to be suicidally close to the pred to use it. I guess you could try to do the whole suicide-bomber thing if they eat you, if that makes you feel a little better. The main issue is twofold... getting/making high-explosives (it isn't like they're going to be selling dynamite out in the Negav marketplace) and being able to apply them for defense. Unless you have a way to toss it from (hopefully) many 100's of feet away, you're probably screwed any way. A grenade launcher would be ideal, but military-grade weapons aren't exactly easy for the average joe to procure.

Quote :
Do you possess shrink magic to use against the predator? Doesn't work if the target is too large.

Only fairies possess shrinking magic. It's basically impossible for any other species to learn, out side of (rumored) super-powerful and learned arch-mages.

Quote :
Did you bring an army to hunt down the predator? If Karbo likes her, you will fail.

Honestly, the giant hybrids are the least of your worries if you take an army out into the wilderness. Armies, by nature, are big, slow, unwieldy logistical nightmares. Poisonous snakes, insects and plants would kill or maim a decent chunk of them. Then you have the "medium-sized" predators like Kensha Beasts, Tonorions and such, which are quite lethal to human-sized people. Not to mention various types of carnivorous plants. You'd lose a good chunk of your army before you actually encountered a giant hybrid. The giant hybrid preds are actually not that common. They're spread out over vast areas of wilderness, and if you are unlikely enough to come across one, it's a miracle you even survived to get that deep in. Carnivorous animals, plants and various types of poisonous things are much more common and much more of a concern on an expedition.

Quote :
I know it's fantasy, I know it's a fetish-based setting, but that doesn't mean your characters should be nigh-indestructible. When you know the Naga is either going to get a meal or at the very least survive an encounter (most likely the former), you lose interest in the character as an actual character and simply look to them as a vehicle for the fetish. This isn't horrible, but it doesn't reflect the best writing.

That is actually totally right and I completely agree.

Although, I don't necessarily mind a named character surviving an encounter, but I do think there always needs to be suspense. If you're going to put your character in a dangerous spot, go all-in with it. Make the readers think there is a legitimate shot at him/her not surviving, or getting maimed or something. We know that the main characters of most books and movies are going to survive in the end... but it is the suspense and close-calls that keep the audience interested.
Back to top Go down
Grave
Grave

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 pm

I think that was pretty well said RCS, but I have a few comments.

rcs619 wrote:

- To seal away Demechelle, an insanely powerful darkness-elemental who kept expanding, and threatened to swallow the whole of Felarya in a nightmarish darkness full of abominations and monstrosities.

Never saw what the big fuss about this was anyway, who doesn't like the Evernight Forest?

rcs619 wrote:

Being small has its advantages.

And disadvantages! The nekos look at you differently!

Yea that's about it.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Now, if you'll afford me the luxury of responding to your rant...

Zephyr102 wrote:
The predators of Felarya are ridiculously overpowered Sues [...].
And all good points- within limits. You can't hide from a predator that has the predator sense- but we tire of saying that, as it stands right now, not all predators have this sense. And while you can't hide, you can certainly tuck yourself somewhere they can't reach.
Some predators have stomaches that can stand grenades and knives. I'm okay with that- it's that way so that the struggle has to be on the outside, so that once you've been eaten, it's game over. Things would be far too easy otherwise, as you're completely sure that predators WILL gulp you down, so it'd be enough to plan with that in mind.
If your character has shrink magic, go right ahead and use it. You're allowed to judge by yourself if the story was any good.
As for "if Karbo likes her you'll fail", consider the alternative and you'll see it's ludicrous. So if you write a story where someone goes and kills Crisis plausibly, Karbo ought to cross her off the wiki? Does that mean if Pal Sebrit is not immune to bullets I get to cross him off the wiki by writing a story? I'll take the status quo over that any day, and I'm not even into vore. Yeah, I could kill Crisis and everything in Felarya ten times over, guardians included. Does that mean they ought to stop existing, that I win? No. I don't want to break the setting, because it's not Me VS Felarya.

If you write a character who threatens the status quo by existing, you'll have a problem anywhere, not just Felarya.

Zephyr102 wrote:
but the girls of Felarya use their Sue-ness to kill you, while you tend to enjoy your fate if you encounter one of the MGE Sues.
True enough; the MGE people are really lucky the girls want anything to do with them.

Zephyr102 wrote:
When you know the Naga is either going to get a meal or at the very least survive an encounter (most likely the former), you lose interest in the character as an actual character and simply look to them as a vehicle for the fetish. This isn't horrible, but it doesn't reflect the best writing.
If you're only interested in a character who's going to die, then you shouldn't be looking at anyone else's characters. Specially the named ones. Some people write about predators that die, but that doesn't happen too often. If a character has a name, then they'll die at a time of the creator's choosing. No sooner, no later, not for your pleasure.

Zephyr102 wrote:
I disliked the setting enough to come up with a creature that is both perfectly adapted to the environment and capable of killing any predator, ie a Sue to fight Sues.
That's quite a liberal use of the word "Sue", Zeph. I'm not sure anymore what Sue means... could rant, but let's stay on topic. Yes, you could devise a creature that would break the ecosystem. I could, too. Matter of fact, I did find a way to break the ecosystem AND make money off it! Just get a licitation for a lot of toxic waste dumping, and then start dumping it in Felarya. Everything will die and you'll get millions of dollars in profit from making it someone else's problem! Problem, guardians? Could even be a funny story.

P.S: Platinum and gold are actually most often found as native elements in alluvial sands. No need to make them eat rock, making them gulp down sand is good enough.

Zephyr102 wrote:
I was referring to a human trying to survive in Felarya, the disadvantage they and most non-giants are placed at.
That disadvantage's part of the fun: it adds to the impact, and there's no need to pretend it's uncircumventable. We have a lot of fun figuring that part out!

Zephyr102 wrote:
It doesn't change the fact that very, very few creatures can take down the largest predators in 1v1 combat.
There's David&Goliath scenarios all over manga and anime, I don't need a ton of them here just as an affirmation that size isn't everything. And since when is Felarya about fighting, excuse me? Most of Felarya is about not getting eaten while eating the things you have to eat, not about taking down the predators.

Zephyr102 wrote:
but it starts to get boring when they are obviously superior to most other lifeforms, to the point that they can just walk into a village and chow down with little fear of meaningful retribution.
The scenario where they go eat a village is popular because it shows what people want to see. If you want something else showcased, you'll have to look harder or write it yourself.

Zephyr102 wrote:
What would likely be an agonizing death is never officially shown, making it hard for some to equate the ingestion of sapient beings with murder. That's my other problem with Felarya and vore: nobody really plays the tragedy angle. It's a fetish, so even when death is shown in other works, people try to sexualize it.
Plenty of people over the years have described in lurid detail the terrible ways of dying in a stomach, and there's still plenty of people who complain it doesn't get described. Something's not getting through around here.

Zephyr102 wrote:
Unfortunately, as I hope to have made clear in my earlier posts, Karbo made the Felaryan girls ridiculously overpowered. You may be able to avoid getting eaten if you live in the right locations or are highly experienced, but once you're in their stomach, you are royally fucked.
The fact that their stomach isn't in any danger from you isn't overpowered; it's that way so that vore can happen in the desired terms, and to keep things dangerous enough. If it weren't that way, it'd be too easy. Vore without death is rare here: you can get enough of that in other worlds.

Would you feel any better if they were to bite you in half? What if they shook you until you were dizzy and tore off your clothes before eating you so that you couldn't bring anything into their mouths? What if they were out to use a hunting stick or rock on you instead, so they didn't even have to REACH you to kill you, and you couldn't even cry about being unable to kill them back?

What if instead of having a large territory they couldn't even survey properly, they wandered in small throngs and subsisted off sunlight, eating humans at the exclusion of all other foods, mindlessly tearing them to bits in their mouths just to regurgitate their dead bodies when their stomaches were full, and could be killed only by slashing their napes horizontally, all other wounds regenerating so quickly that their bodies emitted steam continuously?

Yes, if you were eaten it'd suck. That's kind of the point. You're dead the moment you cross her teeth- much like with any carnivore in real life. Don't like it? Then don't get eaten. It isn't hard.

Zephyr102 wrote:
Well Felarya is first and foremost a fetish setting, therefore whether the characters are likable and/or even relatable to anyone who is not interested in vore is not really important.
If you're here just for the vore, it might not matter. There's a lot of people to whom it still matters, though.

not Zephyr102 wrote:
i think the main problem as to why humans adaptability hasn't kicked in is because of the way the world works, most of the human are brought to the world against there will with no idea where they are and simply don't realize the danger there in, let alone know how to deal with any of the locals.
Wrong.
Most of the humans who are new die quickly, much like anyone who's lost and alone in the wilderness where it's full of wild animals that eat people- the natives usually last until someone writes about them. It IS possible to write about prey getting away repeatedly, but only for as long as you keep getting ideas as to how to go on- and keep wanting to write about them.

not Zephyr102 wrote:
Another reason, which i believe is the main reason the humans haven't really made any major strides in fighting them is because of the so call "guardians" the god like being that "protect the planet", they have destroyed all army or civilization that danger to the current balance( aka- predes eat smaller races)
the planets biggies city Nagel(or something like that) has pretty much stooped expanding in fear of being wiped out like its old neighbors was."
Still wrong.
Negav covers 90 square miles, and the Dridder empire ate just as many tasty humans and nekos as any barbarian. They were wiped out for trying to conquer the world, not for upsetting the balance. At this point, we ASSUME Negav may be built to discourage city growth, but we don't know why Ur-Sagol was really destroyed.

not Zephyr102 wrote:
anyone remember the faeries? yes they eat humans but thye are capable of using shrink magic not only on themselves but on any creature.
In fact most faeries need human men to reproduce anyway!
also there have been hints at how humans have adapted to the environment around them. In the first three manga's there are Several references to magical enchantments that protect humans from being swallowed via inducing vomiting or regurgitation.

and love is not as far away as one would think, take Vivian for example, she is a succubi in giant man eating lamia form, but she has been know to make 'raids' on human colonies to find a suitable mate. Another example would be the felaryaian equivalent of the Skillya, sure they have the ability to swallow humans and other large creatures whole, but they have a much better outlook at humans than say mermaids do.Also another thing to notice is that while humans are a big staple in most of the monster diets, we aren't the only thing to eat in felarya not by a long shot.

the thing that i don't like about ferlarya, is the lack of male monsters in the setting. as a girl it would really make the world for me if there were big huge snake men slithering around eating lil' ol' gals like me....~

that and it might open up a way for humans to become monsters themselves...." (Not sure about this one, the fairys need men to reproduce part)
Wrong on all counts.
Fairies don't NEED human men (though in absence of fairy men it helps), their shrinking magic only works on giants exceptionally, there are no references to magical enchantments that protect humans from being swallowed via inducing anything, Vivian does not raid anything, for mates or otherwise, she stays at her falls.
Also male monsters DO exist, some of them eat li'l ol' gals like her, but it doesn't open up a way for humans to become monsters themselves.

Zephyr102 wrote:
The whole site is choking up to it's neck in the worst kind of freaks (I know, I know: look who's talking) which would be fine except they're the kind of freaks that flip the fuck out like you just knocked the medication out of their hand when you suggest ways to defeat or destroy their GLORIOUS GIANTESS WAIFUS.

I mean we sort of have that problem here too but at least here you can have a conversation about how to combat or escape monstergirls, over there it's just YOU'LL GET EATEN AND YOU'LL LIKE IT YOU FUCKING MUNDANE. Ugh.

You have yet to suggest a way to defeat or destroy them that doesn't involve a creature specifically engineered to tell everyone just how much you hate Felarya, or something so awfully contrived it may as well say "this is to break Felarya". Given you just showed up, I'd like to know exactly what are you talking about.

Zephyr102 wrote:
Beyond that, the site creator seems to have had the forethought to understand there are people far, far smarter than him on the internet that WILL find a way to beat his dumb mary sues so he's loaded them with enough plot-armor to make Batman seem like a well-written, vulnerable superhero.
Zephyr102 wrote:
enough Plot Armor to make Batman look balanced and vulnerable

I'm going to assume you're personally responsible for that last long string of insults. We talk A LOT about how to escape our monstergirls, we just redo it a lot to keep it narrow and gritty. As for plot armor, that's interesting, as the only thing you claim to have looked at was art and the wiki. There's plenty of bad stories, sure, but I wouldn't use those to give myself an idea of what Felarya was about- unless I really wanted to think poorly of Felarya.

Zephyr102 wrote:
So, is this world worth my time? I have contributions to make, but I don't want to be shot down just because my creations don't fit the standard 'either you're a predator or a meal' dichotomy. Is there a place for sad stories or parasitic lifeforms that become prey to reproduce?
We do sad, parasitic seems like a completely unexplored concept, contribution is not compulsory so if being shot down gets to you then stay off and spare us the sad face.
Back to top Go down
French snack
French snack

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 12:49 am

Zephyr102 wrote:

I have no problem with the scientific implausibility of things, seeing as I come from a community where sex with a slime-girl has been expounded upon enormously, and the MGE has its' share of Sues, so I am curious as to how one defends these characters, which I view to be overpowered, from a narrative standpoint. If it's just a fetish setting, I would be fine with that, but this world is huge and growing, and I have heard of stories which portray the vore in a suitably tragic light, dealing with a dwindling group of humans warped to Felarya ("Lost in Felarya" I believe).

In short: Yes, there is.

Rcs619 and Stabs have already largely replied, but as the author of "Lost in Felarya" I can confirm that vore in Felarya is not always written as pure fetish, and that some of us do, at times, emphasise the fact of lives being lost, the tragedy and despair, trying to portray the whole thing realistically from the perspective of the eaten, as well as that of the eater.

Felarya is open to writing from all sorts of perspectives.

As Cliff pointed out, giant predators are not invulnerable, though some of the worst writing comes from people whose only idea for a story is to have an overpowered human character going about on a quest to slaughter giant predators. Well-organised humans can defend themselves, though the sensible thing for a human to do is to avoid predator territory altogether.

If you want simply to write about physical confrontations between predators and humans, then Felarya is indeed perhaps not the best place to do so, because you'd be missing out on all that's far more interesting about this setting. Really, there's nothing more boring than stories about humans who want to take on the predators, and who are written as capable of doing so easily.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:20 am

If I may input my two cents:

You're more than welcome to criticize something if you think there's a problem with it. Just don't be rude about it.

I'm sure we can all agree with that.
Back to top Go down
Karbo
Evil admin
Evil admin
Karbo

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 4:35 am

Well you are welcome here as anybody is but honestly I'm not really sure what is your goal ?
When I read your post I get a bit the impression it's a throw-in-your-face type of thing ^^;
And like other pointed, critique is welcome, as long as it stays civil. You can really question and debate every aspects of Felarya, but please avoid being rude or overly confrontational. I'm not saying you directly were , but you did quote some pretty nasty and disparaging messages here.

RCS and Stabs responded to some of your points already. Me I just wanted to say that the guardians are not here just in order to screw humans over. They have a good reason to exist, linked to the nature of the world. There was one instance where they presumably took actions against humans by destroying the city Ur_Sagol and even there, things might not be what they look like.

As for Felarya, it IS a death world, yes, but the danger is what gives it its flavor in my view. And the tone of a Felarya story is really up to their author. You can have something very fetish oriented indeed, all put in the vision of the predator, or fun and light-hearted and centered on comedy and comical interactions between characters, or adventurous with an epic feel ala indiana jones, or completely dark and tragic, and all shades in between. People are really free to bring their own take on the world.

But to respond to your initial question, I'd say if you really dislike that much the setting and fatal vore in general, then it' probably not going to do you much good..
Back to top Go down
http://karbo.deviantart.com/
Feadraug
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
Feadraug

Location : The Forest of Whispers, along with Kyria and Seelvee

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 am

My "discussion about the setting's issues" is tingling! My, now I have more time to come around and I find this? What did I do to deserve that. xD

So some people here like vore, right? I know, this world was set around that fetish, but I've been in this community long enough to see that it has evolved and it is also appealing for non-voraphiles. In fact, I'm no voraphile and I'm sticking around - as long as studies and work allowed me. And it's good to have "my kind" around, it helps to develop the setting and to show people that OK, this was born from voraephilia, but this can go further and in no sexual ways. It isn't all "pred and prey", mind you.

Now, about predators being Mary Sues... I guess they are talking about the species' traits, not characters themselves. You see, for many of us who like to work as much on stories as on characters, it is always a challenge to create and develop characters, making them as realistic as possible. Even predators have their weaknesses and particular characters might have a weakness their species doesn't share. Adds some variety.

Still, Felarya is also set as a world of danger. Not just from the big naked women, but from nearly anything out there. Sues are inevitable, that's true, but it isn't like the setting is all "let's put humans into some giant woman's mouth". Maybe in the past, but not in present day, where there are more things aside from voraephilia.

From the messages over at MGE, it looks like they focus a lot in canon, but some of us are more to look at both canon and non-canon stories, locations, characters... whatever that could enrich the world.

One thing is true, though: there aren't many male big preds in the setting, but also when one comes, they make wonders. Just look at Grendel, that guy is one of the best things ever to happen to Felarya. I'm not asking to make an army of Grendels, but to give it a thought or two. Myself included.

About people getting mad when some ways to kill a giant pred are found... when did we have one of those? O_o

Other things have already been covered by more experienced/involved people in this community, but I can't help feeling a bit insulted by what the people at MGE say, speaking so in general and not giving their time to check more and see that Felarya is more than vore and Mary Sues. Makes work like mine look worthless because someone made a wrong generalization.
Back to top Go down
http://paridas.carlosbg.es
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 am

Wow, where was I when this all happened?

rcs619 wrote:
Only fairies possess shrinking magic. It's basically impossible for any other species to learn, out side of (rumored) super-powerful and learned arch-mages.

I denounce that rumor Razz

The only thing I can do at this rate is to further repeat what everyone else has. Stabs and rcs619 already said much of what I would anyway. The one thing that irritates me though is the "stomachs invulnerable to damage" part. That seems to be a recurring topic, and has been for several years - a thread popping up every few months about it. Believe me it got tiring to go through after a while. Oldman40k2003 eventually closed it off with a few pages worth of scientific explanation. People tried to argue it further though (didn't work, they just looked like they didn't know what they were talking about because the oldman had so much stuff to back up his arguments).

Anyway, grenades don't do anything because of something that has to do with the amount of air and airpressure in a pred's stomach, and grenades are mostly used for the shockwave effect, not the frag effect. Even among frag grenades and small knives you have a massive wall of flesh before you, several feet thick. If you feel you can cut yourself out, go right ahead. If you feel you can use explosives on the predator then go right ahead, lest the blast also kill you along with it. Though, my predators try to get the clothing off their prey first, or at least their weapons just as a safeguard. It ensures a happy belly.

The only part I really question is how Negav can manage to hold 750,000 + people in it's walls and be only 90sq miles. You can walk (I run it in 3 hours or so) that distance in an afternoon, since 90sq miles =/= 90 miles long. 90sq miles = either 10x9 miles, 30x3miles, etcetera. Its quite small. Spatially speaking, unless every building is the size of a skyscraper the size of the john hancock tower, it'll be impossible to hold all that people AND have enough for the stuff in the city like the gardens and the rich district. Its not physically plausible, and the last time I tried to do anything about it people just ignored me. So I'm trying to get over it but thats not likely to happen any time in the near future.

However that's not enough of a reason to leave. If anything, if you see problems a good idea is to try and fix them yourself or get help doing it. That's what Anime-Junkie did, and everyone still respects him.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:26 am

Quote :
and grenades are mostly used for the shockwave effect, not the frag effect

It isn't so much the shockwave as it is the shrapnel. The shockwave itself can break bones and kill, that's basically the main point of thermobaric weapons... which are a whole other topic entirely, but with your standard hand-tossed anti-personnel grenades, the main damage dealer is the 360-degree cloud of shrapnel, which punctures and rips apart anything within its area of effect.

That is why I personally do not believe a standard handheld frag-grenade would be effective at all against a predator's stomach. Anti-personnel shrapnel is just not made to penetrate scaled up flesh, especially heavily muscled scaled-up flesh, and even if it did, the actual penetration would be far too little to do any serious damage. I don't even think it going off in a mouth would do much besides hurt a good bit. A grenade going off in the throat likely would be quite painful, but I don't think the shrapnel itself is going to pierce deep enough to cause any serious injury.

Also, if you're using hand-tossed grenades you are either already grabbed, or doing it as some sort of final suicide-bomber tactic, so you're screwed anyway.

Of course, military-grade explosive charges are another deal entirely. I fully believe that a sufficient amount of high-explosives, like C4, or a satchel charge WOULD be lethal if set off inside of a predator's mouth, throat or stomach. I don't think there's much room to debate that. Still, you're basically dead too if you're close enough to actually apply it.

Quote :
and small knives you have a massive wall of flesh before you, several feet thick

Not just flesh, but highly muscled flesh that will be undulating and trying to knock you around. It would be tough, it would be slippery, it would be difficult to keep yourself against it and keep inside the cut you'd already started.

Of course, the main problem here is oxygen. Even if you tried to cut your way out, I really have no doubt that you'd suffocate long before you did any noticeable damage. It's not like cutting your way out of a bag, it's sawing a man-sized hole through several feet of solid, and constantly shifting, muscle... along with other connective tissue. You're going to use up what little air you have, and fast.

I imagine most competent preds are going to at least try to disarm humans before eating them. It shouldn't be exactly uncommon knowledge that human guns and blades can be annoyingly painful if used right. All they'd need to do is yank off their packs and belts and give them a "little" shake to knock off anything they're still holding onto.

Quote :
The only part I really question is how Negav can manage to hold 750,000 + people in it's walls and be only 90sq miles

To be fair, that is an ancient estimate and Negav did used to be a lot smaller and less developed than it currently is in the canon. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Negav is larger than the old canon estimates.

There is also the vertical element to account for, of course.

Not to mention the Chomikai Commons which, according to the scale-map I helped guesstimate, is quite a large region. Plenty big enough for multiple small villages to exist within it.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Clarification   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 3:57 pm

I apologize for the extremely insulting, confrontational nature of some parts of my rant. I will admit that some of the words were my own, while others were borrowed. At the time, I did not consider how mean-spirited the rant would look when pieced together. Trolling was not my original intention, but is very possible I started venting a bit, or a lot, back there.

Perhaps the best answer to my concerns is not the words of any individual, as I have seen looking over the responses. Just like on mgu, this is a community of individuals with their own unique takes on the universe. Users were answering each other, disagreeing and concurring in their responses to me. I didn't expect this site to be a den of licentiousness, but the relative maturity and understanding of the responses was a pleasant surprise.

I'll give the wiki a few more looks and lurk a bit here to get my bearings before I fly off the handle like that again.

One advantage Felaryan predators have over the girls of the MGE: honesty. No mind-warping powers that make you enjoy your fate, which could be very "I have no mouth and I must scream" or "Getting smilies painted on your soul" if you take a dark interpretation of the MGE. With a Felaryan predator, you are free to run, hide, or fight, and you might just succeed, because you know that you are going to die if you get caught.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:11 pm

This is largely beating a dead horse by now, considering your points have all been answered, but I'd like to throw in my two cents cause I've nothing better to do right now.

Just like Cliff (rcs) answered, you shouldn't base what the setting is actually capable of off random stuff people on the Internet say and do. 90% of what you find on the web is complete garbage, and Felarya is certainly no exception to that. To be more precise, a lot of Karbo's very early work were nothing but mindless vore pictures, but your average schmuck on the net took them quite literally, believing that's how the setting is as a whole, and that all Nagas are either like Crisis or Vivian, in terms of both personality and ability, when in reality, they're both unique cases. Most people don't bother do their research and bad mouth the place blindly, although there are a lot of untapped potential, mostly thanks to the previously mentioned schmucks who only care about the fetish.

In general, yes the giants have the odds stacked against them, but you're in their turf, so of course you'll be at a massive disadvantage. I must also laugh at the previously mentioned line that humans can't win against predators 1 on 1. It would be totally incredulous if a lone man could vanquish a giant head-on and make it look normal. Like Cliff stated, stealth is your friend and really the thing you have to worry the most are the rampant critters and dangerous weed. Giants are literally the worst case scenario, and even then, said rampant critters and dangerous weed can be just as big a pain to them as they are to humans.

The thing with shrinking magic is a mess that mostly comes from people not bothering to do their research. There has been a gigantic clusterfuck with fairies back in the days where everyone believed that they could shrink absolutely anything, even though their entry specified that they can't if something's just too big or has significant magic resistance. In general, they and supernatural beings like succubi and angels are the only ones that can alter the size of something else. While Karbo told me that it's entirely possible for a human to learn size-shifting magic, their skills would still be noticeably inferior to fairies, so that ability would be largely useless to them.

As stated before, power and abilities are often exaggerated, but really, that's par for the course with "writers" who think that powers are what define a character. For example, I'm quite sure people thought that all fairies could mass shrink humans in an instant, which is most definitely not the case. The thing with Crisis' senses is that they are exceptionally keen for her kin. As for strong stomachs, it's mostly nagas, considering that theirs is more elastic than the other species, but there's no real magic protection. Some species do have digestive tracts that can neutralize magic power like succubi, though it's mostly because they primarily feed on magical beings.

As far as humans versus giants, you should keep in mind that giants are also intelligent creatures. Humans make up for their weakness by using powerful weapons and traveling in group. Humans who travel alone are usually seen as foolish or naive, and you really can't use Karbo's drawings and strips as a basis to how the setting operates, since he makes them for fun. A giant who sees a squad of armed people with a few mages with them will think twice before charging and trying to swipe them. If she tramples them, and while she doesn't necessarily run the risk of being killed by them, they can still rough her up pretty bad, and getting a few snacks aren't really worth getting bloodied in an already unforgiving environment. I also use the term snack because, contrary to popular belief, humans aren't a staple of predators' diet. Encountering them is rare enough already and their small size don't make them particularly filling either, so they're more like candy. Again, there are some unique cases like Crisis, but these are really exceptions to the rule.

That's really all I wanted to say. As an addendum, I used to write heavily for the fetish aspect, but I grew out of it. I am still very much a voraphile, but I've come to appreciate colorful characters over shoehorning vore like a lot of people do. While I'm at it, vore, at least in-universe, isn't intended to be kinky or hot. It's literally a form death and a fate that humans are desperately trying to avoid. Again, it's best that you don't base what random fanart and fanfic make it look like, but at the same time, going out of your way to demonize it is no better. We've had a few haters who did that and none of us were happy about it.

Anyway, hope my inane rambling didn't put you to sleep.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Quote :
I also use the term snack because, contrary to popular belief, humans aren't a staple of predators' diet. Encountering them is rare enough already and their small size don't make them particularly feeling either, so they're more like candy. Again, there are some unique cases like Crisis, but these are really exceptions to the rule.

I didn't mention this in my reply because I just never really had an opportunity to segway into it, but yeah, this fact here is probably one of the more important and most overlooked things in the setting. At least as far as a lot of fan-fiction goes.

The Felaryan wilderness is not crawling with millions of humans and nekos every few feet. People get brought in from other worlds, but it isn't as common as some stories would make you think, and a lot of the native-born Felaryans are quite skilled at hiding or just keeping a low profile. Actually coming across a group of humans/human-sized people out in the open, waiting to be grabbed, so to speak, is kind of uncommon. Other than that, the giant preds actually do have to hunt down and root out natives who might be dug in and/or hiding somewhere. Humans, nekos, inu and the like really are more like semi-uncommon snacks than dietary staples. More like cookies or candy than meat and potatoes.

Crisis is a bit of an exception. She was raised by fairies, who can use shrinking magic. She never had to go through the phase all nagas go through where they are too small to eat humans and too big to subsist on like, insects and small game. She basically got humans (candy/cookies) whenever she wanted. So, as an adult, she kind of goes out of her way to try and find humans/nekos/etc to eat before anything else. Because of how often she hunts them, she's also gotten quite adept at finding and catching them as well. Moreso than other predators might.

Back to top Go down
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 5:24 am

I never really saw it as the predators as being Mary Sues, but the humans being enablers. In most badly written fiction, the predators are only mary sues, because the humans characters were written to allow them to be sues. If a human is stupid enougth to walk out into Flarya thinking going on the offensive is the best defenceive strategy, then they deserve everything they get as far as I am concerned. If you don't want to be eaten, try not to get caught in the first place. If the humans actaully looked like they made an effort to keep out of trouble and didn't just go out carelessly, then the predators won't come off as mary sues, because they would have to work for their meals.

that's what the best Felarya writters do, put intelligent characters into their work.

Too often, humans are depicted rather like than a stupid child running in front of a moving car. It's not the car that is the issue.

Last edited by DarkOne on Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:29 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 8:19 am

Dark one makes an excellent point. That's I try to avoid that whenever I write stories. Understandably, they have little vore in them as a result. ^^;
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:09 pm

DarkOne wrote:
I never really saw it as the predators as being Mary Sues, but the humans being enablers. In most badly written fiction, the predators are only mary sues, because the humans characters were written to allow them to be sues. If a human is stupid enougth to walk out into Flarya thinking going on the offensive is the best defenceive strategy, then they deserve everything they get as far as I am concerned. If you don't want to be eaten, try not to get caught in the first place. If the humans actaully looked like they made an effort to keep out of trouble and didn't just go out carelessly, then the predators won't come off as mary sues, because they would have to work for their meals.

that's what the best Felarya writters do, put intelligent characters into their work.

Too often, humans are depicted rather like than a stupid child running in front of a moving car. It's not the car that is the issue.

That is fairly accurate. I always felt the worst type of this is when the author actually pretends to make the humans seem competent. They have big guns, they are supposedly "experts" and "veterans" in their career, and yet they act like complete idiots and get their entire party wiped out. It not only makes humans look completely inept, it does help make the pred in question look all the more 'sueish' in the process. These are typically made worse when the author doesn't actually know how guns work, and the pred comes off as completely bullet-proof. Don't get me wrong, giant hybrids are hard to bring down, even with the right gear. They are big, and fast, smart and most of all cunning. They aren't invincible though. You can hurt them.

Of course, to actually use more intelligent, more, "real" characters so to speak, you probably won't have huge 'epic' shoot-outs and such. The story would be more about hunter and hunted, about tension, maybe a little bit of horror. Its a situation where something just as smart as you, only 20-times your size, is hunting you. A single mistake is potentially enough to get you and anyone with you killed. Most real survival situations, fights, shoot-outs and such are like that. They are quick and it usually only takes one mistake to wind up seriously injured or worse.

That's something I never really liked about the Bleach/DBZ type stories. There's no tension when someone can shrug off an explosive blast to the face. Like, I always saw mage-duels more like gunfights myself. They're going to be moving, using terrain, trying to outwit and outmaneuver the other guy. When you're slinging fireballs, chunks of rock, shards of ice or bolts of lightning, a single good hit is all it would take to kill someone. Of course, there is room for some cinematic flair here and there, unless you're going for something super-realistic.

Last edited by rcs619 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 4:26 pm

I hope now that you've gotten a taste of what we're about you can feel free to enjoy yourself here for your own reasons like each of us do. ^_^ Just make sure to form your own opinion about Felarya after doing research and stuff, don't go by what other people say. That's a good rule for a lot of stuff in life. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Quote :
If you are roleplaying with someone who is a giantess and your not wanting a vore rp let them know and try to roleplay around it, if the giantess is getting hungry try to reason or supply a different mode of staving off hungry for them, if your character has no problem shooing others off to their deaths offer to go get them a group of adventures. And roleplay that

while yes 50-100 foot tall character do have alot more advantaged then the humans, who are apparently the main course of the planet, you can always work around it.

Or she could just eat something else?

Also, something I said just one page ago...

"I didn't mention this in my reply because I just never really had an opportunity to segway into it, but yeah, this fact here is probably one of the more important and most overlooked things in the setting. At least as far as a lot of fan-fiction goes.

The Felaryan wilderness is not crawling with millions of humans and nekos every few feet. People get brought in from other worlds, but it isn't as common as some stories would make you think, and a lot of the native-born Felaryans are quite skilled at hiding or just keeping a low profile. Actually coming across a group of humans/human-sized people out in the open, waiting to be grabbed, so to speak, is kind of uncommon. Other than that, the giant preds actually do have to hunt down and root out natives who might be dug in and/or hiding somewhere. Humans, nekos, inu and the like really are more like semi-uncommon snacks than dietary staples. More like cookies or candy than meat and potatoes."

Humans are not a main part of any giant's diet, by any means. It isn't like the giants ONLY eat humans all day every day.
Back to top Go down
Thywolf
Great warrior
Great warrior
Thywolf

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 6:01 pm

rcs619 wrote:
Quote :
If you are roleplaying with someone who is a giantess and your not wanting a vore rp let them know and try to roleplay around it, if the giantess is getting hungry try to reason or supply a different mode of staving off hungry for them, if your character has no problem shooing others off to their deaths offer to go get them a group of adventures. And roleplay that

while yes 50-100 foot tall character do have alot more advantaged then the humans, who are apparently the main course of the planet, you can always work around it.

Or she could just eat something else?

Also, something I said just one page ago...

"I didn't mention this in my reply because I just never really had an opportunity to segway into it, but yeah, this fact here is probably one of the more important and most overlooked things in the setting. At least as far as a lot of fan-fiction goes.

The Felaryan wilderness is not crawling with millions of humans and nekos every few feet. People get brought in from other worlds, but it isn't as common as some stories would make you think, and a lot of the native-born Felaryans are quite skilled at hiding or just keeping a low profile. Actually coming across a group of humans/human-sized people out in the open, waiting to be grabbed, so to speak, is kind of uncommon. Other than that, the giant preds actually do have to hunt down and root out natives who might be dug in and/or hiding somewhere. Humans, nekos, inu and the like really are more like semi-uncommon snacks than dietary staples. More like cookies or candy than meat and potatoes."

Humans are not a main part of any giant's diet, by any means. It isn't like the giants ONLY eat humans all day every day.

<w< it was mostly suppose to be a hyperbole, I think they are more so like a snack you can nab now and then as well, but like your post said, as the fan fictions kinda goes nom nom nom people.

but I do wonder how the local widl life would taste :p
Back to top Go down
Zephyr102
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Zephyr102

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Well, this has all been... enlightening. As in any other situation, one should not speak without thinking things through. I was evidently mistaken in believing that all people came here out of an interest in vore. Sure, it's a big part of the official art, but that might have something to do with it being one of the interesting bits. We don't see Crisis washing her face in a river, or Vivian enjoying a morning cup of coffee, because that is relatively boring (though Karbo would doubtless make it look stunning anyway). I don't watch Adventure Time to observe the finer points of politics in the Land of Ooo: I watch it to see the strange, random antics of the characters.

I think I'll stay here, and contribute where I may.

And I must echo calls to split the discussion about psionics into a different location.
Back to top Go down
rcs619
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Zephyr102 wrote:
Well, this has all been... enlightening. As in any other situation, one should not speak without thinking things through. I was evidently mistaken in believing that all people came here out of an interest in vore. Sure, it's a big part of the official art, but that might have something to do with it being one of the interesting bits. We don't see Crisis washing her face in a river, or Vivian enjoying a morning cup of coffee, because that is relatively boring (though Karbo would doubtless make it look stunning anyway). I don't watch Adventure Time to observe the finer points of politics in the Land of Ooo: I watch it to see the strange, random antics of the characters.

I think I'll stay here, and contribute where I may.

And I must echo calls to split the discussion about psionics into a different location.

Well, to be fair, just because someone has an interest in vore, or even a full-on fetish, doesn't mean that their interest is mindless and one-dimensional. Someone can like simple vore pics, stories and comics just fine, but that doesn't mean they don't have more serious interests, in things like the horror, tension, danger, or the psychological aspects of it.

Like, I admit to having a bit of a fetish for size-differences. I enjoy smutty macro/micro drawings, sure... but that doesn't mean I don't also like serious, completely non-sexual artwork and/or stories about people of different sizes.

Don't get me wrong, some people do have a completely, 100% one-dimensional interest in the area of their fetish. Some people are a bit more complex though.
Back to top Go down
Thywolf
Great warrior
Great warrior
Thywolf

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 am

rcs619 wrote:

Like, I admit to having a bit of a fetish for size-differences. I enjoy smutty macro/micro drawings, sure... but that doesn't mean I don't also like serious, completely non-sexual artwork and/or stories about people of different sizes.
rcs619 wrote:

I enjoy smutty macro/micro drawings
rcs619 wrote:

smutty macro/micro drawings

I demand pics~<3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I even be here?   Should I even be here? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should I even be here?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next