Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3

Go down 
+5
Nyaha
DarkOne
Shady Knight
AzureJass
Stabs
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Stabs
Stabs

Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Empty
PostSubject: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 am

I've checked out the search function, and frankly, it's not very good at searching. I know for a fact that Nyaha and Hat prefer to google things with the added restriction of this domain only, and now I hear Shady say that no one is doing their research anymore. So I wondered, do we do something about it? For irony, it took me half an hour to search the whole Forum Suggestions subforum to be sure this hadn't been addressed before. It wasn't, not really, so I'd like to bring up a few suggestions.

First, regarding the Q&A thread, we can make an Answers thread, where someone will keep a single post with the questions that have already been answered. This would present a little problem as to what answer should be the one presented, but I'm sure no one would really mind. At worst, we'll link to all the posts containing answers.

Second, we can make a locked FAQ thread, where we can put any question that's been asked more than once, and some answers.

Third, and this is my favourite as it goes beyond the Q&A thread, I can go through the whole forum, list up the topics that have had any subject discussed, and make a thread for throwing links to every time anything was discussed in any depth. It'd be faster and more effective navigating than the search function, but it's kind of a lot of work; if no one wants anything to do with it, I might as well not bother.

I'm not really a fan of giving people answers, I find questions to be much more fascinating actually (unless it's science, for obvious reasons), but if it'll help people spend less time on the internet wondering about a made-up vore fantasy world, guess it can't be a bad thing.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Stabs on Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AzureJass
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
AzureJass

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:58 am

I agree, we do need some sort of an archive thread for all things discussed in the past, it'll make thing a lot easier for people to research.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Actually, part of the research problem isn't tied only to the search function on forumotion, but rather that people aren't checking the wiki, whose entire purpose is to answer our questions about the setting.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
DarkOne
Survivor
Survivor
DarkOne

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm

that doesn't excuse the forum's poor search function though does it? I was under the impression that this forum was an extention of the wiki, if the search function does not work properly and noone is going to adress this, then the forum is somewhat failing at one of it's main purposes.

Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 2:00 pm

True, but as some questions asked on the forum can already be found answers on the wiki, then you can't blame the shitty search function now can you?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Nyaha
Eternal Optimist
Eternal Optimist
Nyaha

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Stabs wrote:
I've checked out the search function, and frankly, it's not very good at searching. I know for a fact that Nyaha and Hat prefer to google things with the added restriction of this domain only
You don't know this for a fact because I have no idea what you're talking about. O.o

Aside from that, I think there should be something done at least. I'm not sure what myself, unfortunately, so I don't have a lot to add, but I'll give my support to whatever everyone else decides.
Back to top Go down
http://tanoshiiatsu.deviantart.com/
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 4:51 pm

D'oh... I meant... Hat OR Nyaha. I don't remember which one.
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Stabs wrote:
D'oh... I meant... Hat OR Nyaha. I don't remember which one.

HEY! Stealing my phrase, my now phrase. XD But yeah I agree that anything far enough in the past, asked already, enough time's ect, should be seperated to make things easier for the folks on here less we start having arguments happening.

Seperation to find answers of questions already asked easier along with perhaps the questions too to avoid confusion and everything new in a completely topic and of course anything getting to old or asked enough sent into the past topic.
Back to top Go down
http://bioshockreborn.proboards.com
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 5:30 pm

At least we're willing to do something about this though. It reminds me of an issue on Battlestar Galactica Online, players can level over 200, and a lot of the higher leveled players farm the lower ones, and no one does anything about it, even though its a big balance issue, saying that they all experienced the same thing, and so the newer players must learn to deal with it also :V

You guys may not connect the dots, but its still a really frustrating problem, just like the search function, and newer guys doing they're research, and no one willing to do anything about it - only we are, and I respect that.

As for what to do? No idea, but Stabs, if I can help in any way let me know and I'll get on it however I can.
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 6:24 pm

I may not have been on here long or a Mod but I'm willing to do what I can to help. :-)
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Alright, then, I suppose I can start by implementing this link.

Here, get a search on.

I'll now get on the Q&A thread. Check again in a bit.

Testing...

This is my first draft of the Q&A reference. If you want to help, I could use some opinions.

Last edited by Stabs on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Added the first draft)
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 9:38 pm

A question here that's not relevant to what it's about but more like small help, do we just ask one anywhere and you add it to that thread or do we ask on that same thread?
Back to top Go down
jedi-explorer
Felarya cartographer
Felarya cartographer
jedi-explorer

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Shady Knight wrote:
Actually, part of the research problem isn't tied only to the search function on forumotion, but rather that people aren't checking the wiki, whose entire purpose is to answer our questions about the setting.

Actually the Wiki doesn't always have what you're looking for as some subjects have yet to be written. Heck some articles that you finally do find have "under construction" or are to vague leading to more questions. I don't think that can really be solved by ANY search engine only hands on people willing to answer questions.... and what Stabs is proposing
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Grand Mecha Enthusiast
Pendragon

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 am

Yeah. Unfortunately the search function this site has can only do so much. I personally have some unanswered questions myself, even after going to the WIki, though it's more about precise measurements and whatnot regarding certain landscapes.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 am

Venom Agato wrote:
A question here that's not relevant to what it's about but more like small help, do we just ask one anywhere and you add it to that thread or do we ask on that same thread?

No; I'm merely archiving the questions that were already asked. And I have a huge backlog, Agato.

jedi-explorer wrote:
Actually the Wiki doesn't always have what you're looking for as some subjects have yet to be written. Heck some articles that you finally do find have "under construction" or are to vague leading to more questions. I don't think that can really be solved by ANY search engine only hands on people willing to answer questions.... and what Stabs is proposing
But some of the questions can be answered by the wiki, or so Shady says. At any rate, this is tangential; for now I'm trying to solve the part where people ask questions that were already asked.
Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Right right. Sorry not trying to cause any problems here. >_<
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 am

Back to top Go down
Venom Agato
valiant swordman
valiant swordman
Venom Agato

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Yes we get it by now Stabs. >_<
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3   Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Screw The Search Function, 1 of 3
Page 1 of 1