Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

need help with new world

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
TheAssassinGuy
Helpless prey
TheAssassinGuy

need help with new  world Empty
PostSubject: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 4:52 am

Hello fellas, i wanted to ask you for ideas for i world i want to create, to be able to make a fitting introduction for my ongoing felarya story. At first i want to say its not a clishe world, more, compared to other worlds, a rather normal dimension, but with a few remarkable attributes. Though i was able to make my thoughts about some generalstuff, i still need lots of help with politics, connection to other dimensions, technology, and most embarressing: names. Cause i still have no idea how i should call this world and an old forgotten native language would be also really useful, i would appreciate your help a lot, guys!
Even more ideas for the world are not needed, but if you want to let youre fantasy play, i have no problems with it, just make sure it doesent get TO strange. I also do not plan to use this world else than an origin for my OC, so if you want to involve it in your stories , it would be no deal Wink

Desription:
This world isnt the most known one in the interdimensional web, but has a few aspects that make it very unique. Its known to have the fewest sun-hours on a world where civilisation is possible. It hasnt come in a single interdimensional conflict, and is not a war nation, but throughout the imense darkness, this world creates the most powergul light-mages in the universe. Those light mages are often sold to armys or academies on other dimensions then. The world is not particually dangerous, there are a lot of cities with low crime rate and due the lack of sunlight, there isnt much of vegitation around.
The world is known for the their kind and tolerant inhabitants, and through many interdimensional connections, this world covers many different beliefs and cultural varity while the native culture and lsnguage disappear more and more.
On the other sidethe members of the Enlightend, a combination of believers, ideological representants of the world and the police are almost fanaticly hanging on to the konservative kosmo religional beliefs about the light, and do not tolerate anything that is against them. The only reason the world was not yet invaded, is because the Mages of the enlightend are so powerfull thst other worlds do more profite from taking them into their armies than destrorying them.
Last, this world has also experience with the most deadly assassins in the known world, for they can use shadows better then anyone else. However, there were little of them and because the light mages of the enlightend had a natural hate and advantage over them, the last of the worlds so called "shadow" had been killed nearlx 100 years ago.

I hope you like it, please tell me what you think about it and be sure to ad some ideas. Thanks for reading

Also this world has in the contrary, expirience about the few assassins
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 am

F'nuff, just from what you've given me, this much I can give you...

If you want a planet with as little sunlight as possible, you're gonna have to make some drastic alterations. Either the planet's gonna spin faster when the landmass is hit by sunlight (unlikely), or the landmass will be tilted away from its sun. You'd need to place the landmass on the side of the planet that's tilted away from the sun, and make the rest... I dunno. Ocean?

If you're into flat worlds, that's great too, and a lot easier. Just make whatever passes for a sun to spend most of its time off the sky.

If you want some powerful light mages, and you want them to have an advantage over everything in this world, then I'd say you need to have them be able to replicate the life-giving light of the sun, and probably have access to just about every resource they can ask for. I mean, those guys can create sunlight, which means they basically decide how much food is produced in the first place. You can't get more political leverage than that! In fact, makes it pointless to invade this place for most people: without the light mages, this place becomes a black hole for your resources. Colossal advantage over anyone they decide they don't like, starting with the assassins.

As an alternative, you can go the Light V. Darkness route. Maybe in this place, the force of darkness won, and the assassin order you mentioned were its agents; they were killed out of spite for basically crippling the sun (or maybe even snuffing it: the light mages might have been able to build only a dim replacement. Why not? If you reduce the sun to a god, it can be done. Works for the Last Airbender, works for you).

Since the darkness empowers and nurtures its assassins, and it's pretty happy with itself over the victory, it breeds the nastiest butchers in the universe, while those light mages have basically been tasked with replacing God. Obviously they would be pretty hardcore if they are to accomplish the task with any degree of success- and they'd probably HAVE to get out of the world to find some books or stuff on how to fix the sun.

Have you seen the Order of the Sun God on the wiki? The order of Oth, that is, is full of fanatics who think the UNIVARSE must be conquered FOR GREAT JUSTICE... They're religious nuts. You may want to have them as your light mages, they do fit the bill of being fanatic nutjobs who aren't above whacking some folk. They also have contacts all over the universe; this place may be where they git their light mages from.

That's some ideas, TAG. Anything that helps?
Back to top Go down
TheAssassinGuy
Helpless prey
TheAssassinGuy

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 10:10 am

i didnt expect such a fleshed out reply in the first place... Thank you so much, this is really helpful!
Im not sure that i understood everything but it gives me some new ideas Smile
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSun Oct 13, 2013 7:54 pm

I concur regarding the sunlight thing. You don't have any explanation in there about why it's known as the planet with the least sunlight, not only in terms of how it has less sunlight but exactly how little it has. And is that relative to the full rotation period, or does the planet just spin really fast?
If you do happen to need a suggestion, here's one I thought up on the fly:
need help with new  world Clipbo10

The planet is nearly tidally locked, rotating one time per orbit. In order to have a day of reasonable length, it would have to be very close to its sun, so I suggest having it orbit a white dwarf (although you'll have to come up with some clever explanation of how it got that close). Its axis is tilted, so the landmass near the pole faces away from the sun for most of the year, and the sun only becomes visible above the horizon for a short period during the "summer", during which it never rises very high.
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
TheAssassinGuy
Helpless prey
TheAssassinGuy

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Alright i thought about the connection between the order of oth and the light mages from the new planet.
At first, the civilisation lived on the existanceminimum, with low chances of survival. They lived in small stone built towns, if that was even possible and couldnt go out in the night because the world has no moon.
Then, the order of oth found the planet and quickly missionated the few inhabitants to the belief to oth. For their powers with the light they were seen as godlike creatures by the natives. But after that, the members of oth soon discovered that there was nothing else to get for the order. But some of the members stayed, in the belief to bring light and wealth to the world. So they built up a cult that was severed from the order, and all about their sun god and not about conquering planets. They took charge of everything, from architecture to technology and warped the world extremly fast in time. The cult and their high overseer rules the world until the present day.
But through the natural shadows of the place, the world had to face those who used them as a tool often: thieves and assassins. Until a bound was ordered to keep control of everything that was connected to shadow magic, which was trusted by the most powerful and destructive light mages.
Although the world is ruled by a religious cult, it is a very peaceful and mostly liberal one, which is why many people come to live there.

That were my new thoughts on this topic, i will go after the thingy with the planet and the sun soon Wink

@Stabs: thanks for the dozens of ideas you gave me, it helped a lot. But can you please explain the thing with the darkness V path? I didnt really understand that. From what i cought from it, i think you wanted to say that the shadow there is the essence of all evil and thinks independantly. I more think of the shadow as the thing that assassins call their god, but more like an element, which they gain their power from and manipulate and that does not necissarely come along with evilness.
Back to top Go down
Stabs
Stabs

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 10:56 am

TheAssassinGuy wrote:
@Stabs: thanks for the dozens of ideas you gave me, it helped a lot. But can you please explain the thing with the darkness V path? I didnt really understand that. From what i cought  from it, i think you wanted to say that the shadow there is the essence of all evil and thinks independantly. I more think of the shadow as the thing that assassins call their god, but more like an element, which they gain their power from and manipulate and that does not necissarely come along with evilness.
Hmm... fair enough.

I think you are not a native English speaker so I will try with plain English now. I will not make silly jokes. When I said Light V. Darkness, I meant Light Versus Darkness. Many videogames have a battle of light against darkness: you must know at least one example. Maybe Darkness could have won in your world, and thus there is very little light left. The darkness won out because it is very strong: the assassins are empowered with very strong darkness, so they are very strong assassins.
Back to top Go down
TheAssassinGuy
Helpless prey
TheAssassinGuy

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 3:08 pm

It has been a while, but now I finally update my world a bit.I eventually came up with a name for it, the world will be called: Ziqom.I also thought about why there is such immense darkness in this world on an astronomical base. The reason is not that it rotates so fast. In fact its day cycles are particually normal. But Ziqom is overwhelmed by such near internal night because its rotation axis, which is nearly 90 degrees. Consequently one half has nearly the whole time day and the other side has nearly all the time night. However because ziqom is relativly close to their sun, the mostly enlightend part of the world is completely life hostile, because of the extreme heat and Uv radiation.But through the winds, warm climate is brought even to the dark places on the planet and the planet axis differs the seasons just slightly. So on the civilised part of ziqom the sun rises for just two hours, while the have a very warm climate there. It also doesnt have a moon which makes it even harder to see something there.
Back to top Go down
parameciumkid
Hero
Hero
parameciumkid

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 5:46 pm

Very creative, but by "90 degrees" you either mean straight up and down, which would mean equal portions day and night, or sideways (like Uranus), in which case there would only be perpetual day or night on one side during part of the year. As any (normal) planet goes around the sun, its axis stays pointed the same direction, so the sunlight will cover different parts of it at different times during the orbit.

Now you could have it tidally locked, wherein the rotation (day) and orbit (year) are the same length (like Earth's moon), so one side always faces the sun and the other faces away, and that would produce the effect you described. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://helia.net63.net
Jhinx
Helpless prey
Jhinx

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 am

you could also say that the ashes of an vulcano darkens the light, like in one of those ideas how the dinosaurs died

because, IF the planet's tidally locked, what's about the site with the light? I mean, after some centuries there must be someone who decovered those parts, so you  may think of reasons why they would live in the darkness...

another Idea could be that a spell is causing those effects, or a curse or something like that.

you could also write that the creator, god or whoever, of the world, created it out of manifested shadows or sth like that...

Last edited by Jhinx on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jhinx
Helpless prey
Jhinx

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:50 am

well, I think the last idea would be a clishe, but just dont mind

And, in fact, you could use nearly evry theory why the dinosaurs died, 'cause they all have to do sth. with "suddenly it was dark (and maybe cold) and after a few centuries nothing lived on earth, exept of Adam'n'Eve..."
well, ok, the last part shouldn't be mentioned, but you know what I mean...

so you just have to think about reasons why those effects don't stop.
Back to top Go down
TheAssassinGuy
Helpless prey
TheAssassinGuy

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 11:19 am

Okey I have decided, yay Very Happy
I originally thought of an uranus like rotation, but that would bring too much light to the world with least sunlight Razz
I have chosen the tidal lock -thank you parameciumkid- finally because its easy to understand and looks nicer. Buti struggle between two points. Because of the heat in the lightend side and the cold in the dark side, the civilisation cant expand there, they live in the only safe zone on Ziqom. However there are two possibilities, either they live in the twilight zone what would be the most realistic one, but get a bit of light (or the astronomic dusk where is also slmost no light), or shortly beyond the twilightzone which is not sorealistic, but there wouldnt be any light. Thanks for helping Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: need help with new world   need help with new  world Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

need help with new world
Page 1 of 1