Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PC Problems

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 7:03 pm

So, I have a brand-new Dell 6 core processor with a 2TB harddrive. I just got it for Christmas, and have been using it ever sence. It runs Windows 10. So, Since I began using it, Chrome has been slow, to the point of me having to call tech to fix it. While they did fix it slightly, the startup to Chrome is very long, and it also runs slow (Most noticeably when Downloading images and Gifs, which I do often). I know it is not an internet problem, as Edge runs quick as ever! Its immediately up. (Which has led me to believe that Windows 10 has malicious code for Chrome.

It has gotten so bad, I have actually considered using my old PC (A 2012 $400 Gateway peice of crap) as it could still run chrome and download fast like normal, up till its last day of use. The only advantage to my new PC is that it can run Video games well. Unfortunately, College comes first which puts me at a disadvantage.

I was wondering if anyone knows anything I could use or do to have Chrome run quicker! Its just ridiculous how a brand new $800 Pc runs worse than a $400 pc from 4 years ago with its hard drive almost all used up!
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 7:23 am

http://www.howtogeek.com/119191/browser-slow-how-to-make-google-chrome-fast-again/

Most of these solutions will solve your problem. If it persist then consider using firefox for an alternative.
Back to top Go down
http://sovietkroshka.deviantart.com/
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Bluehorizon wrote:
http://www.howtogeek.com/119191/browser-slow-how-to-make-google-chrome-fast-again/

Most of these solutions will solve your problem. If it persist then consider using firefox for an alternative.

Thanks, but it unfortuantely wasnt very helpful, as the only extention I have running is adblock plus.
Back to top Go down
Bluehorizon
Roaming thug
Roaming thug
Bluehorizon

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 pm

And the other solutions?
Back to top Go down
http://sovietkroshka.deviantart.com/
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 6:35 pm

Bluehorizon wrote:
And the other solutions?

I tried! Nothing works from that list.
Back to top Go down
Archmage_Bael
Mara's snack
Archmage_Bael

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 6:41 pm

Maybe adware is slowing it down? Try Adwcleaner from bleepingcomputer.

Honestly Chrome takes like 30% of your CPU anyway.
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 12:04 am

Archmage_Bael wrote:
Erm...
> Chrome running
> 350 tabs open
> 4 extensions running
> 5% total CPU use on average, considering Skype and other programs are running...
...Nope. If you meant RAM instead of CPU, then I'd agree, though.

So, Chrome isn't running well, huh? I think it's time for a round of question-making, but before...
Go to Chrome and open the Chrome Task manager (click on the address bar at any tab and then press Shift+Esc). There, check the amount of Extensions running to see if it matches the ones you have installed, indicated by either a puzzle piece or their own Extension icon. Don't panic if you see one that's called "GPU process" (although you should if it goes over 200,000 K in Memory use) or another one called "Shockwave Flash"; they come with Chrome. You should also check your base Chrome process (probably called "Browser" and also probably the one with biggest Memory use). If the CPU use is around 10% or below, then it's okay, opening the Task Manager takes up quite a bit of CPU. Otherwise, it might mean problems. Check also the memory use. If I remember correctly, it starts from around 200-250,000 K, which means approx. 200 MB, but can build up quite a bit depending on what you have open (with my outstanding number of tabs, I've seen it go over 700 M), but it shouldn't probably be over 300 M in your case.
You can also cross-check this info with the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Del -> Task manager -> Performance tab. I think Win 10 has several submenus there) if you wanna make sure everything is correct (or if you wanna check Chrome Browser's real CPU use when you have its Task Manager closed).

Okay, that said, round of questions:
- Did you see anything different from what I said where the normal parameters?
- Are you seeing more Extensions than there should be?
- With Windows Task Manager open, go to the Disk section under Performance and then start a big download (at least 50 MB so you can see something). The section "Disk activity" should have an indicator reading "Disk I/O" (Disk Input/Output) or something along those lines, check it and see more or less what values does it reach on average while downloading the file. A slow hard drive may cause quite the slowdown on some programs (I know because I have suffered it. Got a PC with great CPU, good RAM and GPU, but bad disk. And it's terrible).
- Do you have set the option for Chrome to ask you where to download any file when you try to download it, or does it download automatically to a default folder?
- Are you a frequent Hibernation/Sleep user, or are most of your sessions fresh from start up?
- Have you tried using Chrome with no other programs running? Even closing those that pop up at start up?
- Do you use any kind of proxy? If you don't know what that is, then the answer is no XD
- What Antivirus software do you have running? I know this question may sound dangerous, but antiviruses always slow down things, specially downloads.
- Do you have Windows Defender? The same happens with it as with antivirus software. If you don't know, then go to Windows' Control Panel. If you see only a handful of icons, check the area over them, at the right, and select to view "big icons" instead of "categories". Then, in that view, check at the bottom. You'll see Windows Update and, if you have it, Windows Defender just before it. You can go back to the previous view by re-selecting "categories" again.

Hm... That's all I can think of right now. I'll have to check those links Blue sent you and see if I remember something that isn't mentioned over there along with your feedback.
Back to top Go down
Thywolf
Great warrior
Great warrior
Thywolf

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:03 pm

Ilceren wrote:
Archmage_Bael wrote:
Erm...
> Chrome running
> 350 tabs open
> 4 extensions running
> 5% total CPU use on average, considering Skype and other programs are running...
...Nope. If you meant RAM instead of CPU, then I'd agree, though.

clearly someone is running sfw tabs
Back to top Go down
Ilceren
Ilceren

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:49 pm

I use a tab organizer extension to keep track of my nsfw tabs while closed, so all those 350 tabs are legit =P Not necessarily sfw though, since I wouldn't classify Felarya as that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PC Problems  Empty
PostSubject: Re: PC Problems    PC Problems  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PC Problems
Page 1 of 1