Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pyralite Clarifications

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

Pyralite Clarifications Empty
PostSubject: Pyralite Clarifications   Pyralite Clarifications Icon_minitimeMon Nov 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Surprise!  You get a double helping of me today!  I've talked about updating the Battal Oak earlier, but there's one other material whose description leaves me rather confused.  Let's read it:

Quote :
This dark grey Iron is typically found in the Pyrale mountains. it's [It's] a stronger [metal] than normal iron, able to withstand greater shocks and with an innate resistance to heat and fire, that makes it very interesting in the creation of armors. It's easily combinable [combined] with other elements to form alloys and isn't much harder to shape than regular iron.

At first glance, nothing seems immediately wrong.  It's just a stronger iron than can withstand great shocks than standard iron, is resistant to heat and fire, is easily combined with other metals to form alloys, and is no harder to shape than regular iron.  So what's wrong with it?

Well... the fact that it resists heat.  If it's resistant to heat and fire, then already that makes it quite a bit harder to shape regular iron, because it means it needs a substantially higher forging and melting temperature.  It doesn't say how much it resists heat, but worst case scenario, I imagine it would probably require a blast furnace to smelt the thing.  Otherwise, you're gonna end up with poorer quality iron that has impurities in it.

As such, I propose this addendum be made to Pyralite:

This dark grey iron is typically found in the Pyrale mountains. It's a stronger metal than normal iron, able to withstand greater shocks and with an innate resistance to heat and fire, making it very interesting in the creation of armors.  This natural resistance is a double-edged sword, as it requires the use of specialized furnaces and forges for the purpose of smelting and smithing.  When properly worked, however, it is easily combined with other elements to form alloys and isn't much harder to shape than regular iron.

I also went ahead and fixed some of the typos.

Last edited by Shady Knight on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
dragon808tr
Survivor
Survivor

PostSubject: Re: Pyralite Clarifications   Pyralite Clarifications Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Well, not much to say here than "I agree" as it all seems to fit well. If it resists heat, it would be quite difficult to work into an armor due to higher melting temperature requirements.
Back to top Go down
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Pyralite Clarifications   Pyralite Clarifications Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Makes sense to me. I wonder if we could call out here that magical furnaces would be well-suited to smithing it, leading to its relatively common use in the more advanced civilizations on Felarya.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Pyralite Clarifications   Pyralite Clarifications Icon_minitimeMon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, mining in the Pyrale Mountains would probably a pain in the ass given the weird magnetic disturbances happening there. It already makes it practically impossible for machinery to operate, and I can only imagine having your pickaxe suddenly fly out of your hands and straight into a wall would stop being all that funny after the third time it happens. The fact that it's sitting right next to an active volcano doesn't help matters either. Considering that a complex mining network already exist underground, either the magnetic phenomenon only really affects the surface of the mountains, or different mining techniques and equipment are utilized, probably with an emphasis on explosives and magic.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
Gamma
Seasoned adventurer
Seasoned adventurer
Gamma

PostSubject: Re: Pyralite Clarifications   Pyralite Clarifications Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 3:42 pm

You could always just use aluminum or titanium or (if you're feeling retro) bronze mining tools instead. It's not like all metals are magnetic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pyralite Clarifications   Pyralite Clarifications Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pyralite Clarifications
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Change suggestions-
Jump to: