Felarya
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Felarya

Felarya forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tempestarii

Go down 
+4
Mirukani
Shady Knight
gwadahunter2222
TheQuantumMechanic
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

Tempestarii - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:38 pm

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
In the Tempestariis case it's a soul transfer, this kick the soul of the original human to seal and force a spirit to live inside a body. This is a kind of ressurection but this kind of system have many flaws 1)due to the fact the body is not made for that and can decades. 2)This kind of people are mentally unstable and does not support their forced resurrection. 3) They have nowhere to go, because they are not human and they are not spirit.

That is more or less what's going on, yeah. Very Happy

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
If they meet a spiritual guide, a priest, an angel or a psychopomp the only thing they will find logic is to destroy that. Because it's an insult to the system of life and death. The demons will find of them interesting.

This is also true; the best advice anybody will be able to give a Tempestarii is that they should be destroyed. But a Tempestarii isn't likely to take that advice well, because they no longer have the safety net other elementals have, of being able to reconstruct another body. For them, once it's over, it's over. So they just sort of roam around the world, pissed off at everyone and everything, and trying to make sense of it all... and maybe find a way to undo those darned binding runes, so they can go back to being "normal".

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
The fact the child of a tempestriis is a normal human because a tempestrii is a noraml human at the base and even if the soul is different he is still a human very powerfull but human. It's not a kind of fusion between an elemental and a human but a elemental possessing a body Very Happy

Again, you have it exactly right. Cool

gwadahunter2222 wrote:
Their flaws show there is a strong gap between theory and practice Very Happy

say you will change the rune: you need the original theory, use the same system of magic it was used, and after that you need to experiment so you need an important reserve of humans and I doubt they will be happy to be guinea pigs for your rexperience. It's look easy in condition you are very patient because it can take many hour, days, years, decades and millenia before you hope to find the good rune, the good ritual, the good spirit and the good humans.

You will do many interesting discoveries, and when you will find the thing you search you will discover it has others flaws. You will try to correct them and it will take you more time than before. It can be endless
Evil laugh

And... gwadahunter bats three for three. Laughing Anyone who doesn't get it, or wants to make a point about changing or undoing the runes needs to read the above bolded part until it sinks in. You can't just study a fragment of anything without something to compare it to, it just doesn't work that way. Not for science, and especially not for magic, where the tiniest little error can have cataclysmic consequences. If you want to do trial and error research on a handful of runes you traced off of a Tempestarii's body to try and figure out what they mean, you could literally spend the rest of your life studying them and get nowhere.

Just about everybody who had the slightest idea what those runes meant is now fossil fuel. You can either follow the ritual that you know works, and try to come up with theories to develop an understanding of why it works... or you can start screwing with things, and do endless experiments until you get the one result you want out of an endless number of possibilities (so extremely unlikely that it just isn't going to happen, unless you actually know everything about how the magic works), or you create something else which isn't a Tempestarii, or you wind up accidentally unleashing a force that destroys you. Don't believe the hype, kids; archmages don't know everything about magic just because they have pointy little hats. They can spend a million years staring at a magical formula, and if there isn't any key on their world to translate it from, they will never be able to understand it.

It isn't just a matter of the runes, or the ritual, or the spirit involved. It's a combination of all three, and everything has to be in a precise combination for it to work. You mess with that, and you are screwing yourself over.
Back to top Go down
http://the-quantum-mechanic.deviantart.com/
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:20 am

alright alright I know when I lost a argument when I see it, I ain't stupid enough to push it any further
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:34 am

zelda31 wrote:
alright alright I know when I lost a argument when I see it, I ain't stupid enough to push it any further

I hope you don't have the impression that I'm ragging on you, or personally attacking you. Sad It's not so much that I have a problem with the ideas you suggested (changing the runes and ritual to increase a Tempestarii's power, and inheriting the powers)... it's just that I have a problem with those ideas applied to this particular concept, because they aren't really suitable for what I want to accomplish with this. No

I'm working on another idea involving elemental magic, where those suggestions of yours may be a better fit. Smile It will depend on how things work out, but that concept will be much more flexible in terms of power, and may possibly have a hereditary aspect involved. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 7:55 am

thanks for at least understanding why I put the theory out in the first place and I know that tempestarii is a elemental spirit force into a just dead human body but I was trying to see if it could be taken a step further if not a few steps further
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 8:07 am

zelda31 wrote:
thanks for at least understanding why I put the theory out in the first place and I know that tempestarii is a elemental spirit force into a just dead human body but I was trying to see if it could be taken a step further if not a few steps further

Not a problem. Very Happy I believe I understand your intent in offering the suggestions, and the direction you wanted to see it go in; but to be honest, I am pretty satisfied with the concept as it is. Modifying it further in those particular ways would turn it into something other than what I originally envisioned when I began designing the Tempestarii. I have a very strong picture in my head of what a Tempestarii is, and those suggestions just did not fit very well with that image. Sad

I do have a few other ideas, where those steps might contribute to the completion of the concept. Smile They just don't work for this particular one. No

You did get me to thinking, however, and now I am considering a specific Tempestarii variant that is more powerful, and much more dangerous. Like gwadahunter said in his previous post, Tempestarii are generally not very happy with their existence, and the best advice people can give them is self-termination; advice they don't take particularly well. Many Tempestarii roam around Felarya, hoping to find the means to undo the magic shackling them to human form, so that they can return to their previous natural existence.

Because we're talking about incredibly ancient, powerful, and forbidden magic here... this is not an easy process. Even with Felarya's ageless effect, most Tempestarii will spend their entire lives searching and never even come close to achieving their goal. But some of them might be lucky enough to stumble over a fragment of lost knowledge, and reckless enough to try and attempt to undo their binding runes. So, I'm thinking about creating some form of "corrupted" Tempestarii, that are even worse abominations than the "normal" ones... and might be a bit closer to what you had in mind regarding an elemental/human physical hybrid. Laughing

I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on this matter; is it worth pursuing, or should I just scrap the idea? help
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 am

zelda31 wrote:
The idea you want to developp can suit to a concept of a fusion between an elemental and a physical creature.

But the problem his kind of creature has more drawbacks than qualities, they can use elemental magic better than a human but if their body is destroyed they can not create a new one as elemental did. They can master only the magic affiliate to their elements.

And they are very limited because they can master many magic as a pure human do or manipulate the element as powerful as alementals did Razz

They are average, their attack will always be take care of their both origin to maintain a balance, they can are at the same time very powerful and very weak Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://gwadahunter2222.deviantart.com/
Tankmasterxyz
Marauder of the deep jungle
Marauder of the deep jungle
Tankmasterxyz

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 9:18 am

I think this is a good idea personaly.
And it could have great story potential.
Back to top Go down
http://tankmasterxyz.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:32 pm

Okay, since there seems to be some interest in the idea, I will work up a variation on the Tempestarii.

However, just so we're clear before I post anything more on that track, let me reveal a bit about my design philosophy: I am not setting out to create a perfect, "flawless" creature. I am not trying to design a being that is capable of 'winning' Felarya. To be honest, I find such things stale and overdone. Neutral

An object or character's flaws define it just as much as its qualities do; this is part of the reason that I was highly opposed to the following line of reasoning (not to pick on zelda31 or anything! Very Happy ):

Quote :
I believe if done correctly it could improve and remove some serious design flaws on the tempestarii

Are Tempestarii terribly flawed creatures? Yes. They're supposed to be that way; their flaws aren't in need of "correcting" (although they would certainly disagree!). Removing the flaws does nothing to improve the design in this case, because it changes the entire concept. I bolded, italicized, AND underlined that last point because I can't stress it enough; I did not set out to create a perfect, elemental hybrid creature because to be honest, I have little interest in that. Maybe it will change in the future, and I'll come up with an idea for one that I really like. Until then... No

I already have an idea for an elemental/human hybrid closer to what zelda31 envisioned; but I'm warning everyone, if you are expecting a perfect, non-flawed creation... you will be disappointed. Sad The Incursio (what I'm calling these guys) are going to be just as flawed as Tempestarii, if not more; they're just flawed in a different way. They aren't going to have all the typical powers of a standard elemental, because if you really want that, you might as well just use a standard elemental in your stories.

But I think, once you see what I'm cooking up, everybody will be reasonably satisfied. Cool
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 12:55 pm

I was just talking about getting rid of the major flaws there's no way for a human to make something perfect
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 1:02 pm

zelda31 wrote:
I was just talking about getting rid of the major flaws there's no way for a human to make something perfect

What I meant was that when those "major flaws" are an integral part of the concept, they aren't really "flaws" that need to be corrected. Smile

Edit: Here comes that previously mentioned concept; and remember, it is heavily (and intentionally) flawed. It's supposed to be that way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Incursio   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 4:20 pm

Okay, welcome to our special presentation of: "When Tempestarii Go Wrong". The reason most Tempestarii don't screw with their runes, the...

Incursio

If a Tempestarii can be described as permanently standing in a doorway, with one foot inside and the other foot outside; an Incursio can be described as having permanently slammed the door shut on his fingers.

Most Tempestarii live in eternal hope of one day finding a way to remove the binding runes keeping them locked within a human form and returning to their natural elemental state. To that end, many of them spend the rest of their life searching for whatever scraps of ancient lore and lost magical knowledge they can find on Felarya, desperately hoping to come across something that will be useful to them.

Unfortunately, the binding magic is ancient and powerful, and not so easily undone without severe consequences; usually, that consequence is the utter and permanent destruction of the elemental spirit within the Tempestarii. Those can be considered the lucky ones.

The rare, unlucky few who survive an attempt to undo the bindings become Incursio. Incursio are Tempestarii who somehow managed to loosen their binding runes slightly, forever altering themselves in the process; they are no longer Tempestarii in the same way Tempestarii are no longer “proper” Elementals.

Incursio are even worse abominations than Tempestarii; whereas Tempestarii are merely shunned, Incursio are actively hunted down and allowed no peace. This is partially because they can be much more powerful and unpredictable than “normal” Tempestarii… but mainly for two other reasons.

The first is that eventually, all Tempestarii go insane. This can range from charming, suave “Hannibal Lector” insane, to flat out psychotic rage at the entire world. Eventually, their minds reach a breaking point and they are no longer able to cope with what they are… and they typically vent their frustrations on others.

The second is that, unlike Tempestarii, Incursio can be considered closer to a “true” human/elemental hybrid. This means that they have been altered on both a spiritual and physical level, and there is a solid link between their human body and elemental spirit. A genetic link. This means that unlike Tempestarii, should an Incursio have children, they can inherit an Incursio’s inhuman genes.

Rather than the ability to merely control an element, these genes tend to confer unusual, specific mutations and powers to their offspring. For instance, one child might have rocky skin dense with minerals, while another might have crystal formations growing out of his bones. One child might be completely immune to fire and heat, and be able to swim and breathe in lava, while another might be able to ignite her blood into a napalm-like substance. Generally, such offspring will only have one distinct ability/mutation, and not multiple unrelated mutations (they are not like Marvel Comics’ mutants). This is true 99.9% of the time; children inheriting more than one ability are that rare, and children who have inherited more than two abilities are unheard of. (Note: Plainly put, it doesn’t happen. Ever. Im-freaking-possible. Very Happy )

Children born from an Incursio/Human pairing tend to be extremely rare; not only are most Incursio simply not capable of giving birth for physiological reasons, but they tend to be extremely not fond of the humans who bound them. We are talking about serious, psychotic hate here; many Incursio who have totally lost it try and enact genocidal plans to destroy all humans on Felarya, until they are finally stopped and destroyed. (Note: An Incursio might make a good villain in a human-centric story. Smile )

Why are Incursio so angry, and why are they such a bad thing to be? When an Incursio botched their attempt to undo their binding runes, they forever altered the magic imbued in the runes, which in turn forever altered their own body and spirit. By doing that, they forever lost any chance at all of undoing the runes; the magic has been changed into something completely different, so any previous spells or knowledge regarding the runes and ritual simply no longer apply. A Tempestarii at least has a slim hope of finding a way to restore themselves to their natural state; an Incursio has none.

It gets worse; because they altered their bindings somewhat, an Incursio is able to tap into a much higher amount of its natural elemental abilities than a Tempestarii can. This includes being able to alter its body somewhat, partially becoming its element. However, because of the runes, an Incursio can not fully control this greater amount of power. Parts of their bodies constantly shift between becoming flesh and their element; an Earth Incursio has minerals and rock spikes constantly forming inside of it and tearing their way through flesh and organs; a Fire Incursio burns, flames erupting from various points of its body and searing its organs…

It is not a happy, enjoyable life at all. The worst part is, none of these things are enough to kill an Incursio; it causes them terrible pain, but their bodies quickly mend from the elemental damage, as though it was never even there… until it begins again. It is this constant pain that is theorized to eventually drive all Incursio insane; in fact, many try to terminate themselves just to escape… only to discover yet another problem.

An Incursio is very difficult to kill, but even more shackled to its human body than a Tempestarii is. As long as there is enough of the body intact, they will continue to live in a semi-elemental state, able to take on a similar appearance to other elementals of their type, but forever prevented from becoming one with their element. In this case, “enough of the body” can mean as little remaining as the skeleton, or even just the skull. They can have the skin flayed from their bones, their heart stopped, their brain pierced, and be burned alive… and they will not only feel every bit of it, but they will survive the experience.

Afterwards, what will be left is something resembling a typical elemental, gravitating around a skeleton or fragments of one. A “raw” Air Incursio might resemble a tornado, with individual bones whirling around inside of it on currents of air, while a Water Incursio might resemble a mass of water flowing around a walking skeleton. The uninformed might assume them to be some type of Undead at a glance, however, the Incursio are still Elemental beings; Anti-Undead spells will be useless against them.

To the Incursio, their existence is near intolerable; they are one step closer to being “true” elementals once more… however, that one step is as close as they will ever get. They will always be shackled to the dead weight of their human form as long as they exist, preventing them from fully merging with their element or fully rebuilding a new physical form. What’s more, the body/skeleton is their weak point; the very obvious runes on the skeleton makes it a fairly visible target. And should it be destroyed, the elemental spirit is forever destroyed along with it. In the end, they are not really any better off than they were as Tempestarii, despite the much greater power they can access. Is it any wonder so many of them lose it completely and rampage until they are destroyed?
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 4:02 am

I was about talking about a certain incursio that either was a water or earth type elemental to be able to alter it's body but not to such an extreme extent then again it probably can't be helped that parts of it's body ends up being part elemental and what if two incursio each of a different element mated and gave birth to a child wouldn't that have at least one ability of each parent?
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 8:02 am

zelda31 wrote:
I was about talking about a certain incursio that either was a water or earth type elemental to be able to alter it's body but not to such an extreme extent then again it probably can't be helped that parts of it's body ends up being part elemental

This is somewhat confusing; I'm not completely sure what you are trying to say. All Incursio can alter their body into their element (in fact, it often happens involuntarily, even if they're trying not to). However, they can not physically "merge" with their element to change their mass, nor can they become purely water/earth/whatever. They're still shackled to a human body.

zelda31 wrote:
and what if two incursio each of a different element mated and gave birth to a child wouldn't that have at least one ability of each parent?

TheQuantumMechanic wrote:
Generally, such offspring will only have one distinct ability/mutation, and not multiple unrelated mutations (they are not like Marvel Comics’ mutants). This is true 99.9% of the time; children inheriting more than one ability are that rare, and children who have inherited more than two abilities are unheard of. (Note: Plainly put, it doesn’t happen. Ever. Im-freaking-possible. )

The above applies to Incursio offspring, regardless of whether they have one Incursio parent or two, or even if they're from an entire lineage of Incursio. So the answer to your question is "No, it doesn't work that way."

A child of two Incursio parents (of different elements) is almost certain to manifest a single ability, that will relate to one element or the other. 0.1% of all Incursio/Incursio pairings that have ever existed in history (there might not even be any in today's Felarya) will result in a child who might have two abilities; but even in these cases, the abilities will usually be both of the same element.

Of that 0.1%, only a small number actually manifest two abilities, each inherited from a different parent. I haven't come up with a definite answer, but it's a very small number. Percentage-wise, something like 15-25 percent... of the 0.1% that gain two abilities, or 0.015-0.025% of all Incursio offspring that ever have or ever will exist on Felarya. Which, as previously stated for physiological reasons, are extremely rare to begin with.

In regards to them inheriting "at least one ability from each parent", I just have to restate that Incursio children rarely develop more than one ability, and never more than two. I greatly dislike absolutes, but in this case it's warranted; I have no intention of creating a "super race", that is just not what these guys are meant to be. Something that looks like an Incursio's brat, but is running around using several different elemental powers... is not related to an Incursio; plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 am

I have a question, are nekos more or less cold toward Tempestarii than humans? Also, would Negav commoners be aware of Tempestarii in general?

I'm actually writing the chapter where my OC which I mentioned look a lot like a Tempestarii, and he stops at both Nekomura and Negav. I was wondering if both cities would be as cold toward him, or if Nekomura would have no hatred for him whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 8:31 am

Upon further reflection, however...

Strictly speaking, Incursio heredity could be important past the mother and father; a family or clan continually bred Incursio genes into their lineage (for whatever reason) would have a higher occurrence of abilities (primarily single abilities; double-ability offspring would be slightly more frequent (maybe one or two every three or four generations), but are going to remain rare in any case)... in addition, the nature of those abilities would be slightly more random.

Basically, an Incursio offspring with several Incursio ancestors has the potential to manifest an element possessed by any of them. If there are Lightning, Lava, Ice, and Nature Incursio in a girl's family tree, then when she manifests an ability, it will not neccessarily be one of the two elements possessed by her parents; it could very well by an element possessed by a grandparent, or even further up line.

If an ancient Incursio clan existed, and managed to keep their blood relatively "pure" (as pure as any abomination can be Laughing ), then people of their lineage might manifest abilities from nearly any element. However, regardless of how many Incursio you have in your family; and even if you're pureblooded to the point of being horribly inbred... there still aren't going to be any exceptions to the two-ability limit. It just does not happen.

As it is, a family with very heavy Incursio genes would have a very high rate of mental disorders and insanity; both of which are hereditary, just like those nifty powers Grandma handed down to you. Laughing As with everything, there are drawbacks; for Incursio children, the fact that they were born of an unnatural pairing between unnatural beings is inescapable. The most functional ones might get off with mild phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorders, or bipolar disorder; more severe cases (including those "lucky" enough to inherit two powers) may have serious psychosis, megalomania, multiple personalities, sociopathic disorders, etc.

In fact, a clan of Incursio offspring would probably have their own goals and motivations, and just not think like other humans; they might make a pretty good adversarial organization, out to do anything from take over the world, to exterminating all life on Felarya, to finding some way to get rid of the Guardians, to simply pulling the strings from behind the scenes. Anything goes, really. Those family get-togethers might be pretty interesting, if your girlfriend who has nifty elemental powers has been reluctant to introduce you to her parents... meeting the folks is bad enough when they're normal; when they're megalomanical, "evil", crazy people who consider themselves superior to normal human beings? Forget about it.

Evil laugh
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 8:39 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
I have a question, are nekos more or less cold toward Tempestarii than humans? Also, would Negav commoners be aware of Tempestarii in general?

I think with Nekos, it would depend heavily on the Neko culture. Nekos from villages with a strong shamanistic tradition might be inclined to loathe Tempestarii and Incursio on sight; while Nekos from other villages might consider them to be nothing more than humans with unusual patterns on their skin. It would depend heavily on the Neko's perception, and how important the natural order of things is to them.

As for Negav, I'd say the common man would be vaguely aware of Tempestarii; having heard enough rumors to have the suspicious belief that people with "tattoos" that resemble one are cursed in some way. They probably wouldn't know exactly what a Tempestarii is or what they can do, but they'd be inclined to avoid or give anyone who looked like one the cold shoulder on sight.

Sean Okotami wrote:
I'm actually writing the chapter where my OC which I mentioned look a lot like a Tempestarii, and he stops at both Nekomura and Negav. I was wondering if both cities would be as cold toward him, or if Nekomura would have no hatred for him whatsoever.

I would say, play it by ear. These are just possible ideas to use in stories set in Felarya; if you don't like them, you don't have to make use of them. If you think you'd like to have your character get a chilly reception in Negav, then by all means, go ahead and have someone mistake him for a Tempestarii and treat him like a pariah. Smile

With Nekomura, it depends, like I said. The average Neko might not have a problem with Sean, until he stops by to visit a local chief/king, and the shaman/mage advisor whispers something in his ear about Sean being an unnatural abomination or walking curse. Then he may start to notice a difference in the treatment he gets in the city... Smile
Back to top Go down
Shady Knight
Lord of the Elements
Shady Knight

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 8:59 am

So, people in Negav would know enough about them to pelt rocks at people that vaguely resemble one?
Back to top Go down
http://shady-knight.deviantart.com/
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
So, people in Negav would know enough about them to pelt rocks at people that vaguely resemble one?

Yeah, or if they're too polite (or can't work up the nerve to actually do something like that), at least make gestures to ward off curses, "the Evil Eye", and the like... either behind their backs, or to their face. Laughing

Like I said, these guys have it pretty rough. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Malahite
Cog in the Machine
Cog in the Machine
Malahite

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:06 am

Sean Okotami wrote:
Nah, it seems from Mech's description that they'd just be extremely cautious, limit their interaction, etc.

That's not to say there won't likely be zealots who don't like the "Abomination" on their "Holy Land".

EDIT: Hm, so there are those who would throw rocks at them. Doesn't seem the safest of things to do. Also, pretty expensive seeing as how Rocks aren't Free.
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:18 am

Malahite wrote:
Nah, it seems from Mech's description that they'd just be extremely cautious, limit their interaction, etc.

That's primarily the kind of interaction I had in mind; most reasonable people would keep the behavior at that level.

Malahite wrote:
That's not to say there won't likely be zealots who don't like the "Abomination" on their "Holy Land".

Also, this. There are undoubtedly those who believe Tempestarii should be purged for the greater good of the world, but the average Negav citizen isn't going to be anywhere near that extreme. But you never know; zealots have the nasty habit of popping up all over the place.

Malahite wrote:
EDIT: Hm, so there are those who would throw rocks at them. Doesn't seem the safest of things to do. Also, pretty expensive seeing as how Rocks aren't Free.

Maybe I should clarify this; my first thought was that "No, most people just wouldn't have the balls to start throwing rocks at someone who might be able to throw boulders back at them." But then again, there are always rock-throwing idiots and bratty little kids somewhere.

It's not the typical treatment a Tempestarii receives everywhere he goes, but every now and then he might get beaned in the back of the head with a rock, and turn around to find a crowd of people all trying to look innocent.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 am

Sorry to use to be out of topic.

A remark about creating a "super race" by mixing different elementals, in theory it looks easier but not really. I explain, all the elemental are in oppostion or have in affinities with the others by example:
Fire oppose to water, ice etc but are stronger against nature,neutral with wind and earth because both of them can nullify each other and friend with lava.

So to mix a elementals with another you need to know his affinities with the other. If you mix a fire with a earth ealemental you have three case 1)a lava elemental with mixing the both attribute,2) a fire elemental,3)a earth elemental. In clear we can have a new elemental combining both attribute in a new elements or a elemental with the elements of one his parents.

Possible element create by mixing two elemental:
fire+wind=lightening it's possible depending on the system of magic lol!
fire+earth=lava or ash
earth+water=nature,or mud or argile
wind+earth=sand
wind+water=lightening, and ice (I mean blizzard)
fire+water=vapor

You may think all his element are powerfull but it's not the case, wood is strong against water but weak against fire, sand is weak against water, ice, fire and neutral with earth and wind. Lava weak against wind, water and ice and neutral with fire and earth.

Light and darkness:
This two elements may look powerfull next to the others elements but it's not the case. Light and darkness can be considered as two opposite polarities of the same energy when they face each other one can nullify the other.

Their relation is particuliar with the other, they can mix with the other without problem.
darkness+fire= dark fire
light+fire= a fire of light.

The reason are the other elemental are neutral they are at the same time positive or negative, and they can be used against each other. By example fire can be efficient against light or darkness.
When you see an darkness elemental absorbed a fire elemental, in reality the darkness only absorbed the light in clear the fire is still burning inside. Even in a place cover in the darkness or bathed with light the other elements are still efficient. It's only affect the creature who need the light to see.

Darkness and light have no superiority against the other elements.

The idea of super elemental using all the elments:
This elemental will be very efficient against the other elementals but weak against the other.
Because he will gain a strong attack power sacrificing all his resistance and immunity against the other elements.

This kind of characters has a major flaws 1) he need to maintain a constant balnce inside his body if the presence of the elemental are unbalanced he can suffer from that and die from inside. by example if he use to much fire 2)The body due to this particuliar nature the body is difficult to restore due to the fact each element need are in balanced inside, so when the body is destroyed in general it takes more time than a classical elemental to restore it. All of this make the body very frail to any attacks, physical or magical.

In conclusion create a entity mixing all the elements can be "cool" and look powerfull but this power cost him the ability of the manipulation of his body.
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 9:57 am

I was talking about being able to manipulate tissue and bone density
Back to top Go down
TheQuantumMechanic
Temple scourge
Temple scourge
TheQuantumMechanic

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 10:10 am

zelda31 wrote:

They are capable of doing that, within certain limits; it kind of depends on which kind of Incursio it is. An Earth/Rock/Stone Incursio might be able to transform his entire skeleton into a stone-like material, but it would be flesh on top of it. Or they could do the reverse, and make their skin stony, with flesh and bone beneath it. Or turning a single limb completely into stone for a few moments.

What they can not do is alter their entire body at once, not even for a split-second. Tissue and bone manipulation on that scale is just as impossible for Incursio as it is for Tempestarii. An Air Incursio might be able to severely reduce their overall density to make themselves nearly weightless, but they can't actually become entirely immaterial.

Like I said, it depends on the type of Incursio and how long they can manage to hold themselves in that state; remember, their bodies are constantly and randomly changing. Not even the most powerful, most determined Incursio is going to be able to maintain a deliberate alteration for very long.
Back to top Go down
gwadahunter2222
Master cartographer
Master cartographer
gwadahunter2222

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 11:02 am

zelda31 wrote:

As I explained previously is very difficult due to the fact you need to maintain a balance.
If you turn your body in the elemental guy (I mean the one who has all the elemental) in one element it will only be temporary turn into one element but this transformation will be temporary because the balance between the element is broken and if doesn't restore it his body will be damaged.

So you want a living entity with the power of an elemental, like a human born from an elemental, it's something very difficult to create because 1)a elemental is a spirit and not a livng entity in clear it doesn't have DNA, the elemental use the element to materialize itself, like the demons and the angels as Qantum explained in his thread about hell and heaven. They change state but when the body is destroy they return in their original plane, the body of an elemental doesn't have a physical existence as a living creature, they are just living matter.

You talking about manipulate tissue and bone density, so it's a physical manipulation sorry for you but I doubt he could work like that. By example growing into a giant and you will die collapse by your weight Laughing

In a physical way it will be restricted.

Turn yourself into elemental maybe possibe but it's a very complex and dangerous magic.
1)you will need to shift from this dimension to a spiritual world by altering the state of you body.
2)when you will reach this state you will be able to reshape your body.
3)You have just to come back in the physical world.

This things has major flaws, 1) you want to turn back in your former shape you need to do the same things. 2) to avoid bad surprise you need to have a correct image of you what you were before.

A system like that can be develloped by example a runic system allowing a human to morph or use the power element. But this thing has big flaws.
1)you are a living entity not a spirit, you can recreate a new body
2)semi-elemental forms you are vulnerable against physical attack and elements differents or opposite to you. So a normal warrior with an elemental weapon can kill.
3)you have the flwas of the elementals, so magic affecting the spirit will be your worst fear.

This system can be hereditary, so you will be able to breed many elemental type hoping the child will have the power of his both parents, or one of them, none of them or a kind of mutant creature completely unstable.

The problem is due to the fact you use a specific system you mix a random system as genetics.
You try to break the rules and see the results but the problems he can be very very long to see the results.
And if you succeed to obtain it you will have the flaws I said about balance of the elements.

I hope this explantion can be useful Laughing
Back to top Go down
zelda31
Roaming thug
Roaming thug

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2008 2:03 pm

you still aren't getting it I am talking about making the bones hard as steel or controling the bodies metabolism or even stop ageing all together or increasing the size of certain muscles or glands I was never talking about change the scientific elements just the ability to control the level of strength and durability of the body
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tempestarii   Tempestarii - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tempestarii
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Felarya :: Idea forums :: Ideas discussion :: Elementals and Elves-
Jump to: